Straight From Lawschool...... - Linux

This is a discussion on Straight From Lawschool...... - Linux ; A real cute one.... My daughter told me that the school asked that people using OpenOffice save as Word97 (I think) to make things *work*.... As if that isn't enough, the orientation team told the class that people with MacBooks ...

  1. Straight From Lawschool......

    A real cute one....

    My daughter told me that the school asked that people using OpenOffice save
    as Word97 (I think) to make things *work*....

    As if that isn't enough, the orientation team told the class that people
    with MacBooks typically have a more difficult time than people with Windows
    or,,,,,,,sit down for this one,,,,,,Linux systems....

    Now before you all go orgasmic over this, I'm not sure what they are saying
    because I have seen at least 2 DVD's that will NOT run under Linux due to a
    Windows/Mac loader....

    I'm just relying information here but, I would say it's pretty interesting
    that Linux is mentioned at all....
    Very surprising, at least to me.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Straight From Lawschool......

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 23:02:31 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > My daughter told me that the school asked that people using OpenOffice
    > save as Word97 (I think) to make things *work*....

    [...]
    > I'm just relying information here but, I would say it's pretty
    > interesting that Linux is mentioned at all....
    > Very surprising, at least to me.

    That they're mentioned at all is positive in at least two respects:

    firstly, the administration is indicating that they're aware
    *their* systems aren't working correctly in a heterogeneous
    environment. That is, that the administration should adapt
    to their students (to a degree).

    secondly, it might make other students sit up and at least
    wonder "what's Linux"?

    -Thufir

  3. Re: Straight From Lawschool......

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > A real cute one....
    >
    > My daughter told me that the school asked that people using OpenOffice
    > save as Word97 (I think) to make things *work*....

    I find that very very VERY difficult to believe. Everyday experience is that
    micoshaft office products don't work and Open Office is the best thing
    since slice bread to get the office work done. And its all free.

    http://www.openoffice.org

    I have to listen to people swearing their brains out over micoshaft
    products with complaints ranging from not being able to type, to crashed
    PCs and lost data as well as the can't connect.
    In an office of 15, there are at least 15 incidents PER DAY.
    Thats an average of 1 incident per day per person and its climbing.

    And while the micoshaft world around me keeps crashing with people
    swearing their brains out (including the IT admin), I'm reaching dizzy
    heights with 16 virtual screens and dozens of documents doing drawings,
    spreasheets, html documentation, producing pdfs, etc etc etc

    And they all just look on in astonishment.

    With Linux, the work just gets done.

    > Very surprising, at least to me.

  4. Re: Straight From Lawschool......

    > A real cute one....
    >
    > My daughter told me that the school asked that people using OpenOffice save
    > as Word97 (I think) to make things *work*....
    >
    > As if that isn't enough, the orientation team told the class that people
    > with MacBooks typically have a more difficult time than people with Windows
    > or,,,,,,,sit down for this one,,,,,,Linux systems....
    >
    > Now before you all go orgasmic over this, I'm not sure what they are saying
    > because I have seen at least 2 DVD's that will NOT run under Linux due to a
    > Windows/Mac loader....
    >
    > I'm just relying information here but, I would say it's pretty interesting
    > that Linux is mentioned at all....
    > Very surprising, at least to me.

    My wife's workplace is driving her nuts with a migration from IMAP mail
    to Exchange. "No more pine"! My wife got used to pine and is decent
    with it (though she's never bothered to learn the fun stuff you can do
    with pine). So now the time has come to use Outlook:

    o Many of the machines in her department refuse to run Outlook,
    apparently (she's not entirely clear about the details). When
    IT came over to look at them, they said "these machines are too
    old." The guy dragged a to-be-surplussed box out of storage for
    her to use.

    o The department tech (who is a moron anyway) has been of no use
    whatsoever. I thought anyone could deal with this stuff.

    o People (including my wife) confuse "Exchange" with their clients.
    "I need Exchange on my box to get email."

    o I can't get a straight story about whether IT has purchased and
    installed the Outlook Web Access client.

    o Same with whether they'll support IMAP. Apparently not, but who
    knows?

    Microsoft gets away with what they do because people are uninformed and
    think that what they do is "magic".

    --
    Remember, God could only create the world in 6 days because he didn't
    have an established user base.

  5. Re: Straight From Lawschool......

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:20:53 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > My wife's workplace is driving her nuts with a migration from IMAP mail
    > to Exchange. "No more pine"! My wife got used to pine and is decent
    > with it (though she's never bothered to learn the fun stuff you can do
    > with pine). So now the time has come to use Outlook:

    That's a pretty hefty leap though!

    > o Many of the machines in her department refuse to run Outlook,
    > apparently (she's not entirely clear about the details). When
    > IT came over to look at them, they said "these machines are too
    > old." The guy dragged a to-be-surplussed box out of storage for
    > her to use.

    Probably related to the version of Outlook vs the version of Windows.

    > o The department tech (who is a moron anyway) has been of no use
    > whatsoever. I thought anyone could deal with this stuff.
    >
    > o People (including my wife) confuse "Exchange" with their clients.
    > "I need Exchange on my box to get email."
    >
    > o I can't get a straight story about whether IT has purchased and
    > installed the Outlook Web Access client.
    >
    > o Same with whether they'll support IMAP. Apparently not, but who
    > knows?
    >
    > Microsoft gets away with what they do because people are uninformed and
    > think that what they do is "magic".

    I think what's happening is that the hardware is older and the tech people
    are trying to run modern versions of Windows on very outdated hardware.

    The solution is to run whatever version od Windows was current back then
    and start from there.
    Also, the hardware may have been spec'd to run stuff like Pine and is not
    capable for running a Windows etc.

    I never liked Exchange or Outlook anyway.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Straight From Lawschool......

    > I think what's happening is that the hardware is older and the tech people
    > are trying to run modern versions of Windows on very outdated hardware.
    >
    > The solution is to run whatever version od Windows was current back then
    > and start from there.

    That's what they have: Win 2000 systems.

    > Also, the hardware may have been spec'd to run stuff like Pine and is not
    > capable for running a Windows etc.

    Nah, they all use Windows.

    They had some ssh-like client at work, and my wife uses puTTY at home.

    > I never liked Exchange or Outlook anyway.

    So many of Microsoft's products are created (or purchased and modified)
    just so they can be "Microsoft". Of course, things like Exchange and
    Sharepoint are more insidious because they sheperd whole organizations
    lock-step through the Microsoft gorge into a Microsoft-only world.

    --
    Yow! Those people look exactly like Donnie and Marie Osmond!!

  7. Re: Straight From Lawschool......

    In article ,
    Linonut wrote:
    > My wife's workplace is driving her nuts with a migration from IMAP mail
    > to Exchange. "No more pine"! My wife got used to pine and is decent
    > with it (though she's never bothered to learn the fun stuff you can do
    > with pine). So now the time has come to use Outlook:

    > Microsoft gets away with what they do because people are uninformed and
    > think that what they do is "magic".

    They get away with what they do by addressing needs that open source
    fails to address. Mark Crispin recently noted:

    I just observe that open specification email servers (POP and IMAP)
    worldwide are being shut down and replaced by Exchange. *In large
    part, this is not the fault of any POP or IMAP software; but rather
    is due to the miserable failure of the IETF community to create a
    viable calendar, task manager, and contact manager.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: Straight From Lawschool......

    > In article ,
    >> Microsoft gets away with what they do because people are uninformed and
    >> think that what they do is "magic".

    > They get away with what they do by addressing needs that open source
    > fails to address. Mark Crispin recently noted:
    >
    > I just observe that open specification email servers (POP and IMAP)
    > worldwide are being shut down and replaced by Exchange. *In large
    > part, this is not the fault of any POP or IMAP software; but rather
    > is due to the miserable failure of the IETF community to create a
    > viable calendar, task manager, and contact manager.

    Nice opinion, but wrong.

    Zimbra, for example. Evolution, for another. IBM Lotus.

    Mark Crispin is simply confused. The issue is a business issue, not an
    availability issue. Zimbra does not sell the operating system installed
    by default on most desktop/small business PCs. Neither does Novell,
    though they're in bed with Borg. And IBM no longer even sells PC
    hardware.

    Can you find someone with a more nuanced opinion matching your own
    opinion?

    --
    Beeping is cute, if you are in the office
    -- Alan Cox

+ Reply to Thread