[News] New GNU/Linux Installfest - Linux

  1. [News] New GNU/Linux Installfest

    GNU/Linux Install Fest and Free Software Seminar Series in Technopark

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | GNU/Linux Users Group Trivandrum(http://www.ilug-tvm.org) and Zyxware
    | Technologies(http://www.zyxware.com) are organizing a 5 day GNU/Linux
    | Install Fest at Park Center, Technopark. This event offers a wonderful
    | opportunity for all IT Professionals and Entrepreneurs to experience
    | the various GNU/Linux Distributions and get their favorite distro
    | installed on their laptops for free. The event will also feature a
    | Business oriented Technical Seminar Series focusing on the various
    | opportunities in the world of Free and Open Source Software. At the
    | install fest Software T-Shirts, Stickers, CDs and DVDs will be
    | available for sale.
    `----

    http://blog.technoparktoday.com/2008...in-technopark/
    http://tinyurl.com/6rd3fe

    Recent:

    Felton, California Residents Eschew Proprietary Software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It takes a village? How about a whole city? How about 100 cities? I enjoyed
    | this item from LinuxInsider about residents of Felton, California who pledged
    | to go proprietary software-free for at least a week. If you've ever been to
    | Felton, which has a Santa Cruz-like countercultural flavor, this pledge makes
    | sense. Felton isn't alone, though. As LinuxInsider reports, similar plans are
    | in place for towns in Oregon and New Mexico, and 100 towns in Italy.
    `----

    http://ostatic.com/170848-blog/felto...etary-software

    Visions of a Microsoft-Free World

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Is free software taking over the world one town at a time? Residents of
    | Felton, Calif., recently pledged to go proprietary-free for at least a week.
    | Plans for similar events are reportedly under way in town in Oregon and New
    | Mexico, as well as 100 towns in Italy.
    `----

    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Vi...rld-64106.html

    Going Green

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OK, so maybe I am being dramatic, but when you think about it, IT has, in
    | years without a major release from Microsoft, focused on something, usually
    | pushed by the hardware vendors trying to move product, and the something this
    | year seems to be going green.
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/going-green

    Related:

    Vista poses environmental dangers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Vista could have serious environmental implications,
    | experts have warned.
    |
    | The latest version of Windows uses encryption methods that are
    | incompatible with some older PCs. It also features high-end
    | graphics capabilities that can only run on newer hardware.
    `----

    http://www.computing.co.uk/computing...-environmental

    Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Beau Baconguis of the Southeast Asia section of the environmental
    | protection organization Greenpeace has warned that the introduction
    | by Microsoft of its new operating system Windows Vista might as a
    | side effect trigger a deluge of electronic waste (E-waste). "With
    | Vista, Microsoft could effectively hasten the obsolesence of half
    | the world's PCs, especially in the absence of fully-functioning
    | global take back systems for PCs," Ms. Baconguis declared.
    `----

    Vista gets slated - by the Greens

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Green Party has slammed Microsoft and it's forthcoming operating
    | system, Windows Vista, in a withering attack on the company's "monopoly".
    |
    | Microsoft not only takes criticism for allegedly environmentally
    | unfriendly policies, but for attacking civil liberties.
    |
    | The party claims that "Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock
    | you out of your computer," and that "Microsoft are determined not
    | to play fair" in the video content market.
    `----

    http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/news.php?id=107813

    Use GNU/Linux and help save the planet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Are Windows users, not by choice, the worst polluters of the planet
    | relative to GNU/Linux? Well, not intentionally but the lifecycle of
    | a machine running Windows must be shorter than that of a
    | conscientious Linux user who can prevent that old 400MHZ Celeron PC
    | with 128MBs of memory gathering dust in the corner from heading for
    | the scrapheap.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The Chinese have a saying: the journey of a thousand miles begins
    | with the first step. Reusing a puffing and wheezing old computer
    | by installing a minimal GNU/Linux distro and staving off the day
    | when it trudges forlornly to the scrapheap is at least a baby step
    | in the right direction.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...ave_the_planet

    Computers in schools are an environmental time-bomb

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Schools are using computers as room
    | heaters which then need to be cooled using expensive air conditioning
    | and Modern thin-client networks could reverse this trend and are
    | available from the Open Source community and vendors of proprietary
    | software today.
    `----

    http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=213

    Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
    | Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
    | Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
    | up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
    `----

    http://searchopensource.techtarget.c...ml?track=sy184
    http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

    Is 'green' software possible?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | He suggests using software such as Puppy Linux, a low resource version of
    | Linux, and Portable Apps, a service-based approach to delivering
    | applications. *
    `----

    http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/0...e_possibility/

    16,000 Linux computers delivered - for free

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With his non-profit organization called Alameda County Computer Resource
    | Center, he built up a volunteer organization, collects donated stuff from the
    | companies who provide them, strips any proprietary OS and software off the
    | drives, re-installs everything with Linux and free applications, and then
    | gives them to schools or other not-for-profit organizations or individuals
    | without too much cash. *
    |
    | A great man with a great mission. CNN called him a hero already.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] New GNU/Linux Installfest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:12:25 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > GNU/Linux Install Fest and Free Software Seminar Series in Technopark

    Make sure to bring a nose clip and some hand sanitizer.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] New GNU/Linux Installfest

    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:12:25 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> GNU/Linux Install Fest and Free Software Seminar Series in Technopark

    > Make sure to bring a nose clip and some hand sanitizer.

    I think you're plonked by many people here. I don't see you getting
    many responses except maybe me, Ghost, and trolls.

    --
    A ranger was walking through the forest and encountered a hunter
    carrying a shotgun and a dead loon. "What in the world do you think you're

  4. Re: [News] New GNU/Linux Installfest

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:41:09 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:12:25 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> GNU/Linux Install Fest and Free Software Seminar Series in Technopark

    >> Make sure to bring a nose clip and some hand sanitizer.

    > I think you're plonked by many people here. I don't see you getting
    > many responses except maybe me, Ghost, and trolls.

    As if I care,,,,

    My threads get far more replies than all of Shestowitz, Homer and all the
    others put together.

    Do you think this group might need to spend a little time with Ivory?

    http://www.abiword.org/~abi/expo99/expo_02_010_full.jpg

    Some of them could also use a good amount of time with a toothbrush and
    some Crest.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: [News] New GNU/Linux Installfest

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:54:08 -0400
    :
    > On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:41:09 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Make sure to bring a nose clip and some hand sanitizer.

    >> I think you're plonked by many people here. I don't see you getting
    >> many responses except maybe me, Ghost, and trolls.

    > As if I care,,,,
    >
    > My threads get far more replies than all of Shestowitz, Homer and all the
    > others put together.
    >
    > Do you think this group might need to spend a little time with Ivory?
    >
    > http://www.abiword.org/~abi/expo99/expo_02_010_full.jpg
    >
    > Some of them could also use a good amount of time with a toothbrush and
    > some Crest.

    And personal hygiene is relevent in this newsgroup exactly...why?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Conventional memory has to be one of the most UNconventional
    architectures I've seen in a computer system.

  6. Re: [News] New GNU/Linux Installfest

  7. Re: [News] New GNU/Linux Installfest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 08:32:55 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Hmmm... the trolls are resorting to mindless heckling. I guess it's a good
    > thing. They can crititise Linux legitimately anymore.

    Only in your warped mind Spamowitz.

    BTW most of us have nothing against Linux.
    It's lying hypocritical zealots like yourself that we detest and henceforth
    expose.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: [News] New GNU/Linux Installfest

    > My threads get far more replies than all of Shestowitz, Homer and all the
    > others put together.

    Ah so, so you're the one doing the baiting! You hypocrite!

    --
    Leona, I want to CONFESS things to you ... I want to WRAP you in a SCARLET
    ROBE trimmed with POLYVINYL CHLORIDE ... I want to EMPTY your ASHTRAYS ...

  9. Re: [News] New GNU/Linux Installfest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:44:39 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> My threads get far more replies than all of Shestowitz, Homer and all the
    >> others put together.

    > Ah so, so you're the one doing the baiting! You hypocrite!

    Nahh... I was just stating the facts.

    Schestowitz's spewage is just that.
    One way messages that most people ignore.

    He doesn't care though because he is not here for discussion.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/