Windows vs Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows vs Linux - Linux ; Walter Mautner wrote: > c.o.l.a. is mostly Gay men. Or at least that's what the WinTrolls hope. Why do you think they spend so much time here? -- RonB "There's a story there...somewhere"...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

  1. Re: Windows vs Linux

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  2. Re: Windows vs Linux

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 05:22:35 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    >> Linux is the girl next door. She's a looker and she has the brains to
    >> back it up.

    > You forgot to mention she has been forked 12 times,
    >
    > She has 18 wigs, so you get choice. So she say's. Why is she in that
    > community, group sex, district?
    >
    > Did you tell them that when you say, "Looker", you mean she keeps
    > looking at other guys?
    >
    > You forgot to tell them that she only has 64K of memory, and only does
    > yellow dogs. But you think that is smart.

    Ok, points for humor.

    -Thufir

  3. Re: Windows vs Linux

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 19:07:14 -0500, RonB wrote:

    > Walter Mautner wrote:
    >
    >> c.o.l.a. is mostly Gay men.

    > Or at least that's what the WinTrolls hope. Why do you think they spend so
    > much time here?

    We enjoy watching people like you WrongB make asses out of yourself?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Windows vs Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Walter Mautner

    wrote
    on Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:04:21 -0700
    :
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:05:13 -0700 (PDT), umo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Windows is Jessica Alba. Linux is Rachel Maddow. Maddow is smarter,
    >>> more efficient and better educated than Alba. But who would you wanna
    >>> live with?

    >> I had to look them up.
    >> I must be getting old.
    >>
    >> Rachel Maddow is a woman?
    >> Could have fooled me.

    > c.o.l.a. is mostly Gay men.

    http://airamerica.com/maddow

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Maddow

    The Wiki picture is interesting, as it shows her in
    traditionally male dress -- a cotton button shirt, over
    a cotton T-shirt, and jeans. I for one would be hard put
    based solely on that picture alone to tell she's a woman.
    Of course her middle name might give someone a clue there
    (there might be boys named Sue, but how many are named
    Anne??) and her voice is definitely female.

    "Rachel" is derived from the Hebrew "ewe/female sheep".
    There does not appear to be a readily findable male
    analogue; best I could do is Ramsey [ram's land, Old
    English] or Wetherby [ram's meadow, OE]". The few English-Hebrew
    dictionaries I can find do not give phonetic equivalents
    to the Hebrew -- which, BTW, Firefox correctly displays.

    As for Windows --- I'd say it's mutated over the years
    many times, and is more along the lines of Amy Winehouse or
    Britney Spears (though to Britney's credit she's apparently
    at least back on track for to some semblance of normalcy).

    As for gay: Stephanie Miller is reputed to have a "gaydar"
    that turns anyone gay at the sight of her. How she can
    accomplish that while wearing fishnets, I've no idea....

    http://www.stephaniemiller.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephanie_Miller

    If one really wants obvious female attributes, one might
    consider Randi Rhodes; among other things, she mentions
    that she has large cans, though the one picture of her in
    the gallery of her webpage just shows a side-back shot of
    her wearing glasses, long hair, and a black sweater. It's
    possible she might be referring to recycling containers,
    but I rather doubt it...

    http://www.therandirhodesshow.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randi_Rhodes

    On a personal note: Green960 is annoying in that its stream
    is inoperative for me, even with mplayer installed. The
    launcher page contains , which is a
    weird artifact. (The ad for Comcast may need to be clicked on,
    apparently.) Far better results: after the player comes up,
    click on "Browse 750+ radio stations" and search for it
    by location, then click "Listen". A slightly different player
    comes up, and on my work machine at least I get sound. My
    laptop's being less cooperative. Both are using Firefox 3.0.1.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Is it cheaper to learn Linux, or to hire someone
    to fix your Windows problems?

  5. Re: Windows vs Linux

    "umo" wrote in message
    > Windows is Jessica Alba. Linux is Rachel Maddow. Maddow is smarter,
    > more efficient and better educated than Alba. But who would you wanna
    > live with?

    You can see Linux at:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVOnFdMf0RU

  6. Re: Windows vs Linux

    "Richard Rasker" wrote in message
    > umo wrote:
    >
    >> Windows is Jessica Alba. Linux is Rachel Maddow. Maddow is smarter,
    >> more efficient and better educated than Alba. But who would you wanna
    >> live with?

    > Let's just say that people who choose their partner based on looks alone
    > usually live to regret it -- and quite rapidly, at that.

    You are quite right. Especially since looks are a depreciating asset. Just
    that the Vista chick is depresciating faster and fast.

    > The posting is interesting from a psychological point of view though: this
    > isn't the first time a comparison like this is made, and it appears that
    > the Windows fanbois go for looks every time, even though they know it's
    > not
    > a very sensible thing to do.
    >
    > Richard Rasker
    > --
    > http://www.linetec.nl

    Also reminds me of a post where a fantastic looking lady asked "Why do you
    go out with her (normal looking) when you could go out with me?"

    His reply was astounding, "Your looks are a depreciable asset, soon to
    dissipate into nothing. Comes with too much baggage. Your not sociable
    because you don't have to be. And I don't want dumb spoiled high
    maintenance kids. And soon, you will not be able to earn a living to
    contribute. You are a long time liability that can be rented without the
    problems."

  7. Re: Windows vs Linux

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:05:13 -0700 (PDT), umo wrote:
    >
    >> Windows is Jessica Alba. Linux is Rachel Maddow. Maddow is smarter,
    >> more efficient and better educated than Alba. But who would you wanna
    >> live with?

    > I had to look them up.
    > I must be getting old.
    >
    > Rachel Maddow is a woman?
    > Could have fooled me.
    >
    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Windows vs Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Canuck57

    wrote
    on Sat, 23 Aug 2008 14:54:13 GMT
    :

    > "umo" wrote in message
    >> Windows is Jessica Alba. Linux is Rachel Maddow. Maddow is smarter,
    >> more efficient and better educated than Alba. But who would you wanna
    >> live with?

    > You can see Linux at:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVOnFdMf0RU

    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1125456AATGgq4

    says it's Carrie Farnsworth. IMDB suggests she was on
    Just a Dream in 2002; that's about it.

    But she's definitely a cutie. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.

  9. Re: Windows vs Linux

    umo wrote:
    > Windows is Jessica Alba.

    Well, there goes any credibility on this thread.

  10. Re: Windows vs Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Phil Da Lick!

    wrote
    on Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:17:48 +0100
    <9P2dnTyQVNgPgynVnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@posted.plusnet>:
    > umo wrote:
    >> Windows is Jessica Alba.

    > Well, there goes any credibility on this thread.

    Yeah, now we debate Jessical Alba versus Carrie Farnsworth. ;-)

    To her credit, Ms. Alba has an impressive list of credits;
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004695/ lists 30 as actress,
    1 as producer, and 75 self-promotions/appearances.
    No doubt just to look at her walking down the street
    will cost one $20...if her bodyguards don't get in the way
    of one's camera lens first. ;-)

    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1164478/
    shows only 1 entry for Carrie Farnsworth, and that's as
    a stand-in for somebody. No biography is available
    through imdb. No picture, either -- a pity, since
    she's a cutie in the Novell commercials (if it's the
    same actress).

    Just to confuse things further, there's a realtor of the
    same name in Phoenix, Arizona, and
    http://registry.adoption.com/records/428178.html
    suggests someone changed names during adoption; the
    original name apparently was Carrie Williams.

    As an analogy, it's an apt comparison, but one has
    to be very careful; and I'm frankly not sure what
    conclusions to draw, other than the OP has a thing
    for beautiful, talented women. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.

  11. Re: Windows vs Linux

    wrote:

    >Windows is Jessica Alba. Linux is Rachel Maddow. Maddow is smarter,
    >more efficient and better educated than Alba. But who would you wanna
    >live with?

    Both?

  12. Re: Windows vs Linux

    yuyuyuyuyu
    "umo" wrote in message
    > Windows is Jessica Alba. Linux is Rachel Maddow. Maddow is smarter,
    > more efficient and better educated than Alba. But who would you wanna
    > live with?

  13. Re: Windows vs Linux

    Windows is a fat chick who eats all your resources, won't do any real
    work, and needs a makeover every couple of years.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
    I want to die quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather,

  14. Re: Windows vs Linux

    ??? wrote:
    > yuyuyuyuyu
    > "umo" wrote in message
    >> Windows is Jessica Alba. Linux is Rachel Maddow. Maddow is smarter,
    >> more efficient and better educated than Alba. But who would you wanna
    >> live with?

    The old 'reboot' operating system.

    --
    Claude Hopper

    ? ?

  15. Re: Windows vs Linux

    ??? wrote:
    > yuyuyuyuyu
    > "umo" wrote in message
    >> Windows is Jessica Alba. Linux is Rachel Maddow. Maddow is smarter,
    >> more efficient and better educated than Alba. But who would you wanna
    >> live with?

    I did a clean install of OpenSuSE 11.0. The install completed,
    downloaded a few dozen OS updates and installed them, started the window
    manager KDE and downloaded 900 meg of open source updates like Mozilla
    and Open office stuff and install all and it was ready to use. IT DID
    NOT REBOOT ONE SINGLE TIME!. Try that with Winblows.

    --
    Claude Hopper

    ? ?

  16. Re: Windows vs Linux

    Claude Hopper wrote:
    > ??? wrote:
    >> yuyuyuyuyu
    >> "umo" wrote in message
    >>> Windows is Jessica Alba. Linux is Rachel Maddow. Maddow is smarter,
    >>> more efficient and better educated than Alba. But who would you wanna
    >>> live with?

    > I did a clean install of OpenSuSE 11.0. The install completed,
    > downloaded a few dozen OS updates and installed them, started the window
    > manager KDE and downloaded 900 meg of open source updates like Mozilla
    > and Open office stuff and install all and it was ready to use. IT DID
    > NOT REBOOT ONE SINGLE TIME!. Try that with Winblows.

    Cannot get OpenSUSE 11 to install on a Dell Latitude D620 here. Won't
    get beyond the second screen. Tried many times. Checked CD via surface
    scan, no issues there. Not looking for an answer really, just stating my
    experience with it.

    Lang

  17. Re: Windows vs Linux

    Lang wrote:

    > Cannot get OpenSUSE 11 to install on a Dell Latitude D620 here. Won't
    > get beyond the second screen. Tried many times. Checked CD via surface
    > scan, no issues there. Not looking for an answer really, just stating my
    > experience with it.

    What does it do? Just lock? This weekend I upgraded my Desktop computer
    (Dell Optiplex GX240) from openSUSE 10.3 to openSUSE 11.0 without any
    problems.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  18. Re: Windows vs Linux

    On Nov 7, 12:49 am, Lang wrote:
    > Claude Hopper wrote:

    > > I did a clean install of OpenSuSE 11.0. The install completed,
    > > downloaded a few dozen OS updates and installed them, started the window
    > > manager KDE and downloaded 900 meg of open source updates like Mozilla
    > > and Open office stuff and install all and it was ready to use. IT DID
    > > NOT REBOOT ONE SINGLE TIME!. Try that with Winblows.

    > Cannot get OpenSUSE 11 to install on a Dell Latitude D620 here. Won't
    > get beyond the second screen. Tried many times. Checked CD via surface
    > scan, no issues there. Not looking for an answer really, just stating my
    > experience with it.

    According to:
    http://www.linlap.com/wiki/Dell+Latitude+D620

    The machine is "Linux Friendly".

    You are probably using one of the "freebie" distributions, an OpenSUSE
    distribution, which may have limited support and/or testing.

    Have you tried installing any other versions of Linux?

    There are some problems with one of the OpenOrg X.11 server/drivers on
    the Nvidia graphics card. You might want switch to an earlier version
    of X.11 which seems to be more reliable.

    Commercial versions of SUSE are better tested and more reliable, and
    are more likely to configure correctly. When I installed SUSE 10
    commercial version, it figured out which binary-only graphics
    accelerator driver to use, installed it and configured it correctly,
    and ran beautifully. The "community editions" such as OpenSUSE,
    Ubuntu, and Fedora are intended for developers and supporters who want
    to stay ahead of the curve, so that they can be relatively sure that
    things will work on the next commercial version when it arrives.

    > Lang

  19. Re: Windows vs Linux

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 00:20:35 -0600, Rex Ballard
    wrote:

    > Commercial versions of SUSE are better tested and more reliable, and
    > are more likely to configure correctly. When I installed SUSE 10
    > commercial version, it figured out which binary-only graphics
    > accelerator driver to use, installed it and configured it correctly,
    > and ran beautifully.

    I've got SUSE 10 SP 2 running on the other computer (a twin to the GX240).
    It set up my monitor's resolution up to 120 instead of the 85 (the norm
    for openSUSE). I didnt know if that was what I really wanted, but it
    obviously did something different. It also came built in with an MP3
    player and nicer fonts -- but the choice of software in its repositories
    is more limited. For what I need, openSUSE works great. But if folks want
    technical support and are willing to pay the very reasonable rate of $120
    for 3 years support, I'd go with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop.