[News] Mature Free Software More Secure Than Proprietary Software - Linux

  1. Re: Mature Free Software More Secure Than Proprietary Software

    On Aug 21, 8:37*pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > Has security become a non-issue for enterprise Open Source?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | A two-year-old piece of Open Source code is likely to have far fewer security
    > | flaws than proprietary code, according to security expert Bruce Schneier.
    > |
    > | Now, at a time when Open Source is gaining momentum in Australia, Schneier’s
    > | perspective could contribute to increased uptake in the enterprise, education
    > | and government sectors. *
    > |
    > | The recent Australian Open Source Industry & Community Report portrayed
    > | a ‘very strong’, ‘rapidly growing’ local market for Open Sourcein both
    > | private and public sectors. *
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itnews.com.au/Feature/487...me-a-nonissue-...
    >
    > Is visibility the key open source value?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In past discussions about open source values I’ve gone on about many subjects
    > | which struck some as political.
    > |
    > | But is the key open source value something simpler and more basic?
    > |
    > | Like the mere visibility of the code?
    > |
    > | Code visibility is the first thing that distinguishes open source from other
    > | types of software.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2812
    >
    > Recent:
    >
    > Open source good for security
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Jacobson recommends that before implementing any application, includinga
    > | security product, users should check the “pedigree” of the product.
    > |
    > | This would include determining whether any vulnerabilities or flaws hadbeen
    > | detected in the product; and how well or quickly the vendor had responded to
    > | these reports. Most of this information is to be found on websites like
    > |www.securityfocus.com, a vendor-neutral site that provides objective, timely
    > | and comprehensive security information to all members of the global IT
    > | security community.
    > |
    > | “The SecurityFocus Vulnerability Database, for example, delivers an
    > | invaluable service by providing security professionals with the most
    > | up-to-date information on vulnerabilities for all platforms and services.
    > | Another SecurityFocus service is BugTraq, a high volume, full disclosure
    > | mailing list for the detailed discussion and announcement of computer
    > | security vulnerabilities. BugTraq is, without doubt, the cornerstone ofthe
    > | Internet-wide security community,” he adds.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2780
    >
    > Study Says Linux More Secure
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | More than 70 percent people surveyed said they found Red Hat Linux less
    > | vulnerable to security issues than Microsoft's operating system.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.techtree.com/India/News/S...e_Secure/551-8...
    >
    > Study: 70 percent say Red Hat more secure than Windows
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...percent-say-re...

    The report gives no specifics at all. Just say's Red Hat is more
    secure,
    and Companies are afraid of the migration to FOSS ....

    After Vienna, I would have to say they are right. Even Munich.

  2. [News] Mature Free Software More Secure Than Proprietary Software

    `----

    http://www.itnews.com.au/Feature/487...en-source.aspx

    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2812

    Recent:

    Open source good for security

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Jacobson recommends that before implementing any application, including a
    | security product, users should check the “pedigree” of the product.
    |
    | This would include determining whether any vulnerabilities or flaws had been
    | detected in the product; and how well or quickly the vendor had responded to
    | these reports. Most of this information is to be found on websites like
    | www.securityfocus.com, a vendor-neutral site that provides objective, timely
    | and comprehensive security information to all members of the global IT
    | security community.
    |
    | “The SecurityFocus Vulnerability Database, for example, delivers an
    | invaluable service by providing security professionals with the most
    | up-to-date information on vulnerabilities for all platforms and services.
    | Another SecurityFocus service is BugTraq, a high volume, full disclosure
    | mailing list for the detailed discussion and announcement of computer
    | security vulnerabilities. BugTraq is, without doubt, the cornerstone of the
    | Internet-wide security community,” he adds.
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2780

    Study Says Linux More Secure

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | More than 70 percent people surveyed said they found Red Hat Linux less
    | vulnerable to security issues than Microsoft's operating system.
    `----

    http://www.techtree.com/India/News/S...88850-580.html

    Study: 70 percent say Red Hat more secure than Windows

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...n-windows.html

+ Reply to Thread