[News] GNU/Linux: Lighter is Sometimes Better - Linux

  1. Re: GNU/Linux: Lighter is Sometimes Better

    On Aug 21, 8:23*pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > Linux: Low end capable does not mean inferior *
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | One of the things that Microsoft has been silently beating Linux over the
    > | head with for the past couple of years is that, since Linux works so well on
    > | older, and lower end PC's, it is an inferior, obsolete, and outdated OS.. *I
    > | find FUD like this to be a bit annoying, as the inverse is true of Windows. *
    > | An OS that is so bloated, resource hungry, and restrictive that it can only
    > | run on high end PC's does not mean it's a superior OS. *In fact, I'd say
    > | that's quite the opposite. * *

    It has no bearing on who is superior. I
    But I am with ya. You go get your 80mhtz machine back out and tell
    the kids to run that.
    Don't forget the 13 inch monitor.

    HAHHAHAHA.
    *

    > | [...]
    > |
    > | Now, I'm not here to bash Microsoft, per se. *But I did at least wantto
    > | silence this long standing stream of blatant and fabricated FUD and lies
    > | pushed persistently forward by Microsoft. *The truth should dominate,and if
    > | it doesn't, then we need to make sure it does. *
    > `----

    You are here to bash Microsoft.
    What truth? You want to run on a 10 year old cpu?
    Have fun.

    > http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=453
    >
    > Related:
    >
    > Windows for Supercomputers needs less memory than Vista
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | HPC Windows less of a hardware hog than desktop version.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...03;fp;2;fpid;1
    >
    > Windows Vista's Constant HD Activity Craziness
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Any user that has used Windows XP and updating to Vista will notice one
    > | thing: In Vista, your hard drive thinks it's a bewitched lawnmower – it's
    > | always active. Even after all startup programs are loaded, the HD is still
    > | active: Vista's Constant HD Activity Craziness. *
    > `----
    >
    > http://texhex.blogspot.com/2007/11/w...ant-hd-activit...
    >
    > Windows Vista: Top 12 Reasons To Stay Away—Stay Very Far Away
    >
    > ,----[ Gist ]
    > | 1. Bloatware Supreme Supersized With Cheese
    > |
    > | 2. More Security Than Gary Coleman Guarding A Mall
    > |
    > | 3. The GUI—Graphical User Interference
    > |
    > | 4. No TV For You!
    > |
    > | 5. Windows Mobile Device Center—Anybody Home?
    > |
    > | 6. WeirdORama
    > |
    > | 7. Oh Draconian Licensing
    > |
    > | 8. Screech…Crash—No Airbags In This Thing?
    > |
    > | 9. Video Files Not For Videophiles
    > |
    > | 10. The Ultimate Ipod Brick Maker
    > |
    > | 11. ON/OFF & Everything In Between
    > |
    > | 12. Ouch, My Credit Card Is Burning!
    > `----

    Linux FUD. They all say the same thing.

    > http://hugohawken.blogspot.com/2007/...p-12-reasons-t...
    >
    > Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Ninety percent of 961 IT professionals surveyed said they have concernsabout
    > | migrating to Vista and more than half said they have no plans to deploy
    > | Vista. *
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | Macintosh leads the pack of Vista alternatives, with support from 28% of
    > | respondents. About a quarter said they would opt for Red Hat Linux, with SUSE
    > | Linux and Ubuntu each garnering 18% of the vote. Another 9% cited otherLinux
    > | operating systems and 4% were unsure. *
    > `----

    Linux is not a top alternative?
    Did you tell them all those things about Linux?

    > http://www.computerworlduk.com/manag...e/applications...

  2. Re: GNU/Linux: Lighter is Sometimes Better

    Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > On Aug 21, 8:23Â*pm, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Linux: Low end capable does not mean inferior
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | One of the things that Microsoft has been silently beating Linux over the
    >> | head with for the past couple of years is that, since Linux works so well
    >> | on older, and lower end PC's, it is an inferior, obsolete, and outdated
    >> | OS. Â*I find FUD like this to be a bit annoying, as the inverse is true of
    >> | Windows. An OS that is so bloated, resource hungry, and restrictive that
    >> | it can only run on high end PC's does not mean it's a superior OS. Â*In
    >> | fact, I'd say that's quite the opposite.

    > It has no bearing on who is superior. Â*I
    > But I am with ya. Â*You go get your 80mhtz machine back out and tell
    > the kids to run that.
    > Don't forget the 13 inch monitor.

    Let's try a *very* modern spec on you, TAB....

    - RAM not to exceed 1GB
    - CPU not to exceed 1GHz (but Intel ATOM excepted)
    - Screen not to exceed 10.2" diagonal (but NO touch screen)
    - Storage not to exceed 80GB

    Your OS of choice would be........????

  3. [News] GNU/Linux: Lighter is Sometimes Better

    http://texhex.blogspot.com/2007/11/w...-activity.html

    http://hugohawken.blogspot.com/2007/...s-to-stay.html

    Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ninety percent of 961 IT professionals surveyed said they have concerns about
    | migrating to Vista and more than half said they have no plans to deploy
    | Vista.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Macintosh leads the pack of Vista alternatives, with support from 28% of
    | respondents. About a quarter said they would opt for Red Hat Linux, with SUSE
    | Linux and Ubuntu each garnering 18% of the vote. Another 9% cited other Linux
    | operating systems and 4% were unsure.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/manag...fm?newsid=6258

  4. Re: GNU/Linux: Lighter is Sometimes Better

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:57:41 +0100, bbgruff wrote:

    > Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    >
    >> On Aug 21, 8:23*pm, Roy Schestowitz
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Linux: Low end capable does not mean inferior
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> It has no bearing on who is superior. *I
    >> But I am with ya. *You go get your 80mhtz machine back out and tell
    >> the kids to run that.
    >> Don't forget the 13 inch monitor.

    > Let's try a *very* modern spec on you, TAB....
    >
    > - RAM not to exceed 1GB
    > - CPU not to exceed 1GHz (but Intel ATOM excepted)
    > - Screen not to exceed 10.2" diagonal (but NO touch screen)
    > - Storage not to exceed 80GB
    >
    > Your OS of choice would be........????

    Mine would be a tweaked version of Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: GNU/Linux: Lighter is Sometimes Better

    >> Your OS of choice would be........????

    > Mine would be a tweaked version of Linux.

    --
    He is considered a most graceful speaker who can say nothing in the most words.

  6. Re: GNU/Linux: Lighter is Sometimes Better

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 11:53:29 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> Your OS of choice would be........????

    >> Mine would be a tweaked version of Linux.

    Why?
    With those specs and a netbook which is targeted at email, browsing etc
    Linux would be perfect.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: GNU/Linux: Lighter is Sometimes Better

    Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> Your OS of choice would be........????

    >> Mine would be a tweaked version of Linux.

    Heh:-)

    That "spec." that I put up, namely:-
    - RAM not to exceed 1GB
    - CPU not to exceed 1GHz (but Intel ATOM excepted)
    - Screen not to exceed 10.2" diagonal (but NO touch screen)
    - Storage not to exceed 80GB

    is, of course, my own understanding of the original MS definition of what we
    now call a "netbook", and represents the maximum capability for which MS were
    prepared to license the "cheap" version of XP Home.

    I understand that they have been gradually relaxing that spec, and are now
    talking of 14.1" screens, "touch is OK", up to 160GB disks, etc.

    I can understand their reasoning - they don't want to use their resurrected XP
    to usurp sales of Vista, but they don't want to lose-out to Linux either in
    this area. I find the whole thing quite amusing, in that the advent of these
    machines seems to have caught them napping, leaving them with a major
    problem. Linux scales, of course - in both directions!

    Interesting though that poor old TAB starts a thread which tries to show that
    Linux works only on old, slow, obsolescent machines, and then flatfish posts
    to concede (and quite rightly and honestly, imo) that Linux is in fact the OS
    best-suited for these very modern products!

  8. Re: GNU/Linux: Lighter is Sometimes Better

    Rex Ballard wrote:

    Hey, I just landed a contract with a bank to do C#.Net and IIS solutions
    on the MS platform and a strong possibility of doing Java and Apache
    solutions on the Linux platform. ;-)

  9. Re: GNU/Linux: Lighter is Sometimes Better

    On Aug 22, 4:03 pm, The Bee wrote:
    > Rex Ballard wrote:
    >

    > Hey, I just landed a contract with a bank to do C#.Net and IIS solutions
    > on the MS platform and a strong possibility of doing Java and Apache
    > solutions on the Linux platform. ;-)

    Congratulations. You may find that they are also looking at Tomcat,
    Jakarta, and Struts, since this is a very common integration system.

    I usually use WebSphere in my engagements, which has many of these OSS
    components and their heart, but uses wizards to generate adapters, and
    to quickly and easily convert a plain old java object (POJO) into a
    java bean, then to an enterprise Java Bean (EJB) and then to a SOAP
    Transaction, including XSD and WSDL, creations.

    Very often, Windows is used as a gateway to other .NET systems, and
    then integrated to Linux or Unix, which provides the Enterprise
    Service Bus.

    The combination of skills should be a very positive asset in getting
    future engagements.

  10. Re: GNU/Linux: Lighter is Sometimes Better

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:57:41 +0100, bbgruff wrote:

    >> Your OS of choice would be........????

    > Mine would be a tweaked version of Linux.

    Months of hammering Linux then it's your OS of choice?

    Don't let me down here, Moshe.

  11. Re: GNU/Linux: Lighter is Sometimes Better

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 12:44:45 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:57:41 +0100, bbgruff wrote:

    >>> Your OS of choice would be........????

    >> Mine would be a tweaked version of Linux.

    > Months of hammering Linux then it's your OS of choice?
    >
    > Don't let me down here, Moshe.

    Looking at the specs of the machine he offered I can't see running Vista on
    it

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: