NYC LOCAL: Saturday 23 August 2008 HarvestWorks: Dan St.Clair: Introduction to Supercollider - Linux

This is a discussion on NYC LOCAL: Saturday 23 August 2008 HarvestWorks: Dan St.Clair: Introduction to Supercollider - Linux ; what="official HarvestWorks announcement" note="payment is required for this class, see below" reply-to="info@harvestworks.org" edits="two typos repaired"> Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:34:22 -0400 Subject: [class] SuperCollider Class this Saturday! From: Harvestworks Reply-To: info@harvestworks.org CLASS: INTRODUCTION TO SUPERCOLLIDER Dan St.Clair Saturday, August ...

  1. NYC LOCAL: Saturday 23 August 2008 HarvestWorks: Dan St.Clair: Introduction to Supercollider

    what="official HarvestWorks announcement"
    note="payment is required for this class, see below"
    reply-to="info@harvestworks.org"
    edits="two typos repaired">

    Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:34:22 -0400
    Subject: [class] SuperCollider Class this Saturday!
    From: Harvestworks

    CLASS: INTRODUCTION TO SUPERCOLLIDER

    Dan St.Clair
    Saturday, August 23, 12 noon - 6pm.
    $220/$280
    Supercollider is a free environment and programming language for real time
    audio synthesis and algorithmic composition.

    HARVESTWORKS Digital Media Arts Center
    596 Broadway, Suite 602 (at Houston St)
    New York, NY 10012
    Subway: F/V Broadway/Lafayette, 6 Bleeker, W/R Prince

    Class cost: $220 for members, $280 for non-members. Membership is
    $75/yr. To sign up, go to our website:
    http://www.harvestworks.org/cms/inde...asses-new.html
    - then click on "Audio". You can pay by PayPal or Credit Card.

    SuperCollider 3 is a software environment for sound synthesis,
    performance, and live coding.. It has an extensive library of
    hundreds of unit generators and is well suited to projects that
    require the dynamic creation of multiple synthesis patches or
    high level compositional abstractions. Supercollider is "free"
    software distributed under the Gnu Public License and is
    available at http://supercollider.sourceforge.net . While
    SuperCollider is constantly evolving through a particularly
    active developer and user community a stable version (3.2)
    is available that serves as the reference version for a book that
    is forthcoming from MIT press.

    SuperCollider 3 separates synthesis from control into separate
    applications: a synthesis server and an object oriented
    programming language. This creates a very open and adaptable
    environment. For example, one copy of the language to control
    multiple servers, providing a simple way to take advantage of the
    multi-processing capabilities of current computers. It is also
    possible for multiple performers to share a single server or to
    play material on one another's machines. The synthesis server can
    be controlled by any application that supports the OSC protocol,
    such as Java or Max/MSP (see http://opensoundcontrol.org).

    Teacher Bio:

    Dan St. Clair makes sound installations and performances that
    playfully reconsider our daily listening habits. He has exhibited
    in public spaces and galleries in Berlin, Vienna, Seoul,
    Shanghai, and across the USA. His piece Call Notes (2006) uses
    SuperCollider in conjunction with solar-powered digital circuitry
    to synthesize the sound of birds singing popular melodies. Dan
    graduated from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago's Sound
    Department in 2006, and from Wesleyan University in 2004. He has
    studied with Nic Collins, Mary Jane Jacob, Ron Kuivila, and Anne
    Wilson.

    Harvestworks is a nonprofit Digital Media Arts Center that provides
    resources for artists to learn digital tools and exhibit experimental
    work created with digital technologies. Our programs are made possible
    with funds from New York State Council on the Arts, the National
    Endowmentfor the Arts, the NYC Dept. of Cultural Affairs, Materials
    for the Arts, The Experimental TV Center, the Mary Flagler Cary Trust,
    the Aaron Copland Fund, mediaThe foundation, the Foundation for Con-
    temporary Art, the Jerome Foundation, the Argosy Foundation and the
    New York State Music Fund.

    HARVESTWORKS Digital Media Arts Center
    596 Broadway, Suite 602 (at Houston St)
    New York, NY 10012
    Tel: 212-431-1130
    http://www.harvestworks.org
    Subway: F/V Broadway/Lafayette, 6 Bleeker, W/R Prince

    Distributed poC TINC:

    Jay Sulzberger
    Corresponding Secretary LXNY
    http://www.lxny.org

  2. Re: NYC LOCAL: Saturday 23 August 2008 HarvestWorks: Dan St.Clair: Introduction to Supercollider

    On 21 Aug 2008 12:46:24 -0400, secretary@lxny.org wrote:

    > > what="official HarvestWorks announcement"
    > note="payment is required for this class, see below"
    > reply-to="info@harvestworks.org"
    > edits="two typos repaired">
    >
    > Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:34:22 -0400
    > Subject: [class] SuperCollider Class this Saturday!
    > From: Harvestworks
    >
    > CLASS: INTRODUCTION TO SUPERCOLLIDER
    >
    > Dan St.Clair
    > Saturday, August 23, 12 noon - 6pm.
    > $220/$280
    > Supercollider is a free environment and programming language for real time
    > audio synthesis and algorithmic composition.
    >
    > HARVESTWORKS Digital Media Arts Center
    > 596 Broadway, Suite 602 (at Houston St)
    > New York, NY 10012
    > Subway: F/V Broadway/Lafayette, 6 Bleeker, W/R Prince
    >
    > Class cost: $220 for members, $280 for non-members. Membership is
    > $75/yr. To sign up, go to our website:
    > http://www.harvestworks.org/cms/inde...asses-new.html
    > - then click on "Audio". You can pay by PayPal or Credit Card.
    >
    > SuperCollider 3 is a software environment for sound synthesis,
    > performance, and live coding.. It has an extensive library of
    > hundreds of unit generators and is well suited to projects that
    > require the dynamic creation of multiple synthesis patches or
    > high level compositional abstractions. Supercollider is "free"
    > software distributed under the Gnu Public License and is
    > available at http://supercollider.sourceforge.net . While
    > SuperCollider is constantly evolving through a particularly
    > active developer and user community a stable version (3.2)
    > is available that serves as the reference version for a book that
    > is forthcoming from MIT press.
    >
    > SuperCollider 3 separates synthesis from control into separate
    > applications: a synthesis server and an object oriented
    > programming language. This creates a very open and adaptable
    > environment. For example, one copy of the language to control
    > multiple servers, providing a simple way to take advantage of the
    > multi-processing capabilities of current computers. It is also
    > possible for multiple performers to share a single server or to
    > play material on one another's machines. The synthesis server can
    > be controlled by any application that supports the OSC protocol,
    > such as Java or Max/MSP (see http://opensoundcontrol.org).

    OMFG!!!

    Music that isn't music....
    I laugh every time I see one of these kinds of contraptions.
    Studying the theoretical underpinnings of music?

    The problem with approaches like this one is that it is almost totally
    useless to a person who enjoys music.

    Much like fractals, mostly, are boring to people who enjoy art.

    Most of this stuff sounds like my dishwasher when it's on the fritz or my
    toilet when it gurgles..

    http://www.harvestworks.org/cms/inde...Audio-Archive/

    Can't you people do something useful for a change?

    How about porting ProTools or Nuendo to Linux?

    How about getting a sound system that fully works, is transparent and is
    easy to use.

    IOW fix ALSA...

    You expect Linux people to pay $280 for this event?
    You're out of your mind....

    Linux users tend to be, ahem, frugal....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread