[News] [Rival] Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling Junk Software - Linux

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling Junk Software

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:05:28 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > WSJ: Microsoft hires Seinfeld to bite Apple

    Seinfeld is not funny.

    I know his first manager and when he used to perform locally people booed
    him and threw stuff at him.

    Right place at the right time.
    Like Brittany Spears.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling Junk Software

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:05:28 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> WSJ: Microsoft hires Seinfeld to bite Apple

    > Seinfeld is not funny.
    >
    > I know his first manager and when he used to perform locally people booed
    > him and threw stuff at him.
    >
    > Right place at the right time.
    > Like Brittany Spears.

    Or [insert name of any bubblegum pop band manufactured by record
    companies' hype here].

    One of the funniest things I ever read was Cheryl Cole accusing
    Charlotte Church of stealing "Girls Aloud's Sound". Priceless. I know
    they're a bit dumb up north but she actually believes she's some kind of
    musical genius. Stupid cow.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling Junk Software

    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:05:28 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> WSJ: Microsoft hires Seinfeld to bite Apple

    > Seinfeld is not funny.
    >
    > I know his first manager and when he used to perform locally people booed
    > him and threw stuff at him.
    >
    > Right place at the right time.

    Right cast in a show about nothing (and everything).

    Hope Jerry doesn't pull a Michael Richards melt-down on the commercial
    when he gets a load of Vista.

    --
    - DDD no longer requires the librx library. Consequently, librx
    errors can no more cause DDD to crash.

  4. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling Junk Software

    WSJ: Microsoft hires Seinfeld to bite Apple

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Continually painted by Apple and other rivals as uncool and unsafe, Microsoft
    | plans to spend $300 million on a new series of advertisements, designed
    | around its "Windows Not Walls" slogan, that will feature Seinfeld and
    | Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top

    Jerry signs up with this criminal? Well, after watching Seinfeld like 1000
    times, I'd pull the plug.

    Recent:

    Microsoft's latest marketing vehicle: NASCAR

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft plans to sponsor a NASCAR team for the 2008 season in a bid to
    | boost the profile of its offerings for small businesses.
    `----

    http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss

    Microsoft apparently hopes that a "Jackass" can up its hip quotient and
    increase market share

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This came to my inbox this morning from a reader who shall remain nameless. I
    | found it sort of interesting.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Perhaps this new campaign is the opening salvo to be launched by Microsoft's
    | newly hired advertising agency, Crispin Porter & Bogusky, the "it" agency of
    | the moment in the advertising world. *
    `----

    http://cajunboyinthecity.blogspot.co...t-jackass.html

    Feeling Dumb? Microsoft Says MSN Can Help

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Google's informal code of conduct is 'Don't Be Evil,' a reflection of its
    | commitment to not exploiting its users. But a new Microsoft ad campaign is
    | sending an altogether different message: 'Don't Be Dumb.' *
    `----

    http://www.crn.com/software/206905139

    Related:

    WhatsWrongWithU

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The site is targetted to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Korea, with an
    | abrasive attempt at in your face attitude. However, one has to
    | wonder if the whole thing will come off as more than a little insulting.
    `----

    http://www.armchairempire.com/News/?p=187

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling Junk Software

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 16:14:15 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:05:28 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> WSJ: Microsoft hires Seinfeld to bite Apple

    >> Seinfeld is not funny.
    >>
    >> I know his first manager and when he used to perform locally people booed
    >> him and threw stuff at him.
    >>
    >> Right place at the right time.
    >> Like Brittany Spears.
    >>

    > Or [insert name of any bubblegum pop band manufactured by record
    > companies' hype here].
    >
    > One of the funniest things I ever read was Cheryl Cole accusing
    > Charlotte Church of stealing "Girls Aloud's Sound". Priceless. I know
    > they're a bit dumb up north but she actually believes she's some kind of
    > musical genius. Stupid cow.

    Hahaha!

    How true...

    It's like that old Brady Bunch episode where Gregg is going to be a rock
    star and the producers keep telling him how great he it etc.
    He of course sucks and in then end he finds out he got the gig because he
    fit the suit (costume).

    Charlotte Church can really sing well.
    She is a natural talent IMHO.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling Junk Software

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:04:06 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:05:28 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> WSJ: Microsoft hires Seinfeld to bite Apple

    >> Seinfeld is not funny.
    >>
    >> I know his first manager and when he used to perform locally people booed
    >> him and threw stuff at him.
    >>
    >> Right place at the right time.

    > Right cast in a show about nothing (and everything).
    >
    > Hope Jerry doesn't pull a Michael Richards melt-down on the commercial
    > when he gets a load of Vista.

    i could write a great spot for them.

    All I need is a preppy looking Apple guy.
    A Suburu Outback (A Prius will do).
    Some trees and an L..L Bean store in the background.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling Junk Software

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 16:14:15 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Seinfeld is not funny.
    >>>
    >>> I know his first manager and when he used to perform locally people booed
    >>> him and threw stuff at him.
    >>>
    >>> Right place at the right time.
    >>> Like Brittany Spears.
    >>>

    >> Or [insert name of any bubblegum pop band manufactured by record
    >> companies' hype here].
    >>
    >> One of the funniest things I ever read was Cheryl Cole accusing
    >> Charlotte Church of stealing "Girls Aloud's Sound". Priceless. I know
    >> they're a bit dumb up north but she actually believes she's some kind of
    >> musical genius. Stupid cow.

    > Hahaha!
    >
    > How true...
    >
    > It's like that old Brady Bunch episode where Gregg is going to be a rock
    > star and the producers keep telling him how great he it etc.
    > He of course sucks and in then end he finds out he got the gig because he
    > fit the suit (costume).
    >
    > Charlotte Church can really sing well.
    > She is a natural talent IMHO.

    She could borrow it for a while as well. Well, if I weren't married that
    is

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling Junk Software

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:06:32 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Or [insert name of any bubblegum pop band manufactured by record
    >>> companies' hype here].
    >>>
    >>> One of the funniest things I ever read was Cheryl Cole accusing
    >>> Charlotte Church of stealing "Girls Aloud's Sound". Priceless. I know
    >>> they're a bit dumb up north but she actually believes she's some kind of
    >>> musical genius. Stupid cow.

    >> Hahaha!
    >>
    >> How true...
    >>
    >> It's like that old Brady Bunch episode where Gregg is going to be a rock
    >> star and the producers keep telling him how great he it etc.
    >> He of course sucks and in then end he finds out he got the gig because he
    >> fit the suit (costume).
    >>
    >> Charlotte Church can really sing well.
    >> She is a natural talent IMHO.

    > She could borrow it for a while as well. Well, if I weren't married that
    > is

    Hehehehe!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling Junk Software

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > WSJ: Microsoft hires Seinfeld to bite Apple
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Continually painted by Apple and other rivals as uncool and unsafe,
    > | Microsoft plans to spend $300 million on a new series of advertisements,
    > | designed around its "Windows Not Walls" slogan, that will feature
    > | Seinfeld and Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates.
    > `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top

    > Jerry signs up with this criminal? Well, after watching Seinfeld like 1000
    > times, I'd pull the plug.
    >

    > Recent:
    >
    > Microsoft's latest marketing vehicle: NASCAR
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Microsoft plans to sponsor a NASCAR team for the 2008 season in a bid to
    > | boost the profile of its offerings for small businesses.
    > `----

    http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss

    > Microsoft apparently hopes that a "Jackass" can up its hip quotient and
    > increase market share
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | This came to my inbox this morning from a reader who shall remain
    > | nameless. I found it sort of interesting.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | Perhaps this new campaign is the opening salvo to be launched by
    > | Microsoft's newly hired advertising agency, Crispin Porter & Bogusky,
    > | the "it" agency of the moment in the advertising world.
    > `----

    http://cajunboyinthecity.blogspot.co...t-jackass.html

    > Feeling Dumb? Microsoft Says MSN Can Help
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Google's informal code of conduct is 'Don't Be Evil,' a reflection of
    > | its commitment to not exploiting its users. But a new Microsoft ad
    > | campaign is sending an altogether different message: 'Don't Be Dumb.'
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.crn.com/software/206905139
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > WhatsWrongWithU
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The site is targetted to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Korea, with an
    > | abrasive attempt at in your face attitude. However, one has to
    > | wonder if the whole thing will come off as more than a little insulting.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.armchairempire.com/News/?p=187

    This is really an odd statement.. "Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling
    Junk Software"... I ALLWAYS thought they were joking around...

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling Junk Software

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jerry McBride

    wrote
    on Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:41:57 -0400
    :
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> WSJ: Microsoft hires Seinfeld to bite Apple
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Continually painted by Apple and other rivals as uncool and unsafe,
    >> | Microsoft plans to spend $300 million on a new series of advertisements,
    >> | designed around its "Windows Not Walls" slogan, that will feature
    >> | Seinfeld and Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates.
    >> `----
    >>

    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top
    >>
    >> Jerry signs up with this criminal? Well, after watching Seinfeld like 1000
    >> times, I'd pull the plug.

    [snip for brevity]

    > This is really an odd statement.. "Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling
    > Junk Software"... I ALLWAYS thought they were joking around...
    >
    > Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

    After "Mothman" and the 2005 "battery cell MSSQL" web ads
    I find it increasingly hard to take Microsoft ads seriously.

    I wish I could say the same for Microsoft; $60B/year
    revenue is kinda hard to ignore (and *very* hard to relate
    to; were I to spend $1000/second, it would take me almost
    2 years to get to $60B). But we'll see; the collapse will
    probably be slow but massive, and I hope the Seattelites
    can compensate somehow.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. The choice of a GNU generation.
    Windows. The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
    a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".

  11. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling Junk Software

    In article <46904485.6m62fYM0BJ@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > WSJ: Microsoft hires Seinfeld to bite Apple
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Continually painted by Apple and other rivals as uncool and unsafe,
    > | Microsoft
    > | plans to spend $300 million on a new series of advertisements, designed
    > | around its "Windows Not Walls" slogan, that will feature Seinfeld and
    > | Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leBasic&taxono
    > myName=operating_systems&articleId=9113138&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_top
    >
    > Jerry signs up with this criminal? Well, after watching Seinfeld like 1000
    > times, I'd pull the plug.

    Late *and* off-topic.

    > Recent:
    >
    > Microsoft's latest marketing vehicle: NASCAR
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Microsoft plans to sponsor a NASCAR team for the 2008 season in a bid to
    > | boost the profile of its offerings for small businesses.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss

    Didn't you think sponsoring NASCAR teams was a great idea when someone
    was trying to get a Linux logo on a car a while back?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  12. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling Junk Software

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:00:37 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <46904485.6m62fYM0BJ@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> WSJ: Microsoft hires Seinfeld to bite Apple
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Continually painted by Apple and other rivals as uncool and unsafe,
    >>| Microsoft
    >>| plans to spend $300 million on a new series of advertisements, designed
    >>| around its "Windows Not Walls" slogan, that will feature Seinfeld and
    >>| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leBasic&taxono
    >> myName=operating_systems&articleId=9113138&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_top
    >>
    >> Jerry signs up with this criminal? Well, after watching Seinfeld like 1000
    >> times, I'd pull the plug.

    > Late *and* off-topic.
    >
    >> Recent:
    >>
    >> Microsoft's latest marketing vehicle: NASCAR
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Microsoft plans to sponsor a NASCAR team for the 2008 season in a bid to
    >>| boost the profile of its offerings for small businesses.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss

    > Didn't you think sponsoring NASCAR teams was a great idea when someone
    > was trying to get a Linux logo on a car a while back?

    Yea....

    Didn't the car crash on the 50th lap or something?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Resorts to Comedy for Selling Junk Software

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:05:12 -0400
    :
    > On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:00:37 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article <46904485.6m62fYM0BJ@schestowitz.com>,
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> WSJ: Microsoft hires Seinfeld to bite Apple
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leBasic&taxono
    >>> myName=operating_systems&articleId=9113138&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_top
    >>>
    >>> Jerry signs up with this criminal? Well, after watching Seinfeld like 1000
    >>> times, I'd pull the plug.

    >> Late *and* off-topic.
    >>
    >>> Recent:
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft's latest marketing vehicle: NASCAR
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss

    >> Didn't you think sponsoring NASCAR teams was a great idea when someone
    >> was trying to get a Linux logo on a car a while back?

    > Yea....
    >
    > Didn't the car crash on the 50th lap or something?

    Yep, and finished dead last (as it was the first car to crash).

    What this meant and means for the future of Linux is far
    from clear, of course.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #11823822:
    signal(SIGKILL, catchkill);