[News] If You Thought Ubuntu Was Easy, You Haven't Seen Enough - Linux

  1. [News] If You Thought Ubuntu Was Easy, You Haven't Seen Enough

    Is Ubuntu Really the Most User Friendly Distribution?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For several years, Ubuntu has been synonymous with user-friendliness. A Web
    | search quickly unearths dozens of articles that suggest that Ubuntu is the
    | distribution you should give non-technical people to introduce them to
    | GNU/Linux. It even won a "Most User-Friendly Linux Distribution" award, which
    | you might think confirms its status.
    |
    | However, like all conventional wisdom, this association is worth exploring.
    | For one thing, you have to wonder whether comparisons for user-friendliness
    | have any relevance in free and open source software (FOSS). For another, what
    | exactly are the characteristics of user-friendliness? Moreover, does
    | stressing user-friendliness mean ignoring other values -- perhaps equally
    | important ones?
    `----

    http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osr...tribution?.htm

    Mandriva is very easy. Very. Easy.

    Recent:

    PCLinuxOS an easier Linux Operating System

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I’ve been thinking of switching my Operating System on my computer for quite
    | some time. Out of all the Linux distro’s I have tried, I have found one and
    | it’s name is PCLinuxOS. *
    `----

    http://h8ersclub.com/pclinuxos-an-ea...rating-system/

    Things which I’ve learned while using Ubuntu!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well, it’s been some time that I’ve used Linux and I’ve learnt or you can say
    | that enough experiences with it that I can write such an article where I
    | share my experience with Ubuntu : *
    |
    | * *1. It is easy to install.
    | * *2. Live CD gives you everything which you’ll experience with installed
    | * * * Ubuntu.
    | * *3. Software Repository (apt-get) makes installing software too easy.
    | * *4. Software/OS updates is as simple as clicking 1 button!
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | * 29. I don’t have to worry about Viruses & malware (well, I don’t have to
    | * * *even for Windows, it’s just some common sense and you can stay away from
    | * * *all troubles). *
    | * 30. For me, Ubuntu is the best distro ever built for desktop computing.
    `----

    http://www.reviewsaurus.com/aol-goog...-using-ubuntu/

    Linux Mint, The Ubuntu That Should Have Been?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Want to know what’s truly impressive about the above? I didn’t have to go to
    | the command line once. I was able to do all of that completely from the GUI. *
    | There was absolutely none of that frustrating-beyond-belief command line
    | crap. *
    |
    | In addition, the interface is super clean, super easy and honestly speaking I
    | wish Ubuntu did all this stuff this easily.
    |
    | I seriously suggest checking it out. It’s a CD-sized distro so it doesn’t
    | take forever to download - a nice touch.
    `----

    http://www.pcmech.com/article/linux-...uld-have-been/

  2. Re: [News] If You Thought Ubuntu Was Easy, You Haven't Seen Enough

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:54:45 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Is Ubuntu Really the Most User Friendly Distribution?

    No it isn't.

    PCLinuxOS is.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] If You Thought Ubuntu Was Easy, You Haven't Seen Enough

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:54:45 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Is Ubuntu Really the Most User Friendly Distribution?
    >>

    > No it isn't.
    >
    > PCLinuxOS is.

    I don't think so - starting point is to run them side by
    side on virtual machines.

    PCLinuxOS however does not know what a virtual machine is
    (Quemu and VirtualBox) or is it they are doing something
    deliberately to hide what may be running underneath all
    that stuff they call PCLinuxOS?

    And yet they have high rankings in Distrowatch - how?

    The mystery deepens.

    Like Novel, Lindows and Xandross, is PCLinuxOS about
    to turn to the dark side, because it is from the dark side?

  4. Re: [News] If You Thought Ubuntu Was Easy, You Haven't Seen Enough

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 18:29:21 GMT, 7 wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:54:45 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Is Ubuntu Really the Most User Friendly Distribution?
    >>>

    >> No it isn't.
    >>
    >> PCLinuxOS is.

    > I don't think so - starting point is to run them side by
    > side on virtual machines.

    I prefer to run them side by side on real machines.
    While I have not used the latest version of Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS, I did this
    a couple of months ago and I prefer PCLinuxOS.

    The default applications are better.
    The tools are better organized.
    The install program is better.
    And I prefer kde to Gnome.
    PCLinuxOS found my VIA RAID chip and Ubuntu did not.
    PCLinuxOS set up my wireless and Ubuntu required some extra steps.

    All personal opinions.

    > PCLinuxOS however does not know what a virtual machine is
    > (Quemu and VirtualBox) or is it they are doing something
    > deliberately to hide what may be running underneath all
    > that stuff they call PCLinuxOS?

    Mandriva I believe?
    Texstar has some method of tweaking these applications so that they run or
    at least appear to run blazingly fast.

    I've never timed things, but it's noticeable when you play around with
    PCLinuxOS for a while.

    > And yet they have high rankings in Distrowatch - how?

    Because even considering the ubuntu fanbois and the press that Ubuntu gets
    PCLinuxOS really is a better distribution IMHO.
    > The mystery deepens.
    >
    > Like Novel, Lindows and Xandross, is PCLinuxOS about
    > to turn to the dark side, because it is from the dark side?

    Doubtful, but you never know....

    O/T now see that 7, if you would like to discuss Linux vs xxzzyy
    rationally, I would enjoy the debate and don't mind getting spanked once in
    a while either.
    I have a tough skin!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb