Re: [News] Progress in Kerala on Migration to GNU/Linux - Linux

  1. Re: [News] Progress in Kerala on Migration to GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Open to dispute - Down to Earth
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | At that time, free and open source software (foss) was making its presence
    > | felt and Kerala’s computerization programme, Information Kerala Mission
    > | (ikm), had gone some way in developing applications and training personnel.
    > | So it could utilize open software for web based server applications for
    > | support and monitoring at various sites.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.downtoearth.org.in/full6....ec_id=10&sid=1
    > http://tinyurl.com/64veq5
    >
    > The Free software they make will make it easier for other state to follow suit.

    Yep, that'll be the pattern everywhere, even though linear-thinking
    simpletons haven't grasped it yet.

  2. Re: [News] Progress in Kerala on Migration to GNU/Linux

  3. Re: [News] Progress in Kerala on Migration to GNU/Linux

    > ____/ Matt on Thursday 21 August 2008 04:20 : \____
    >
    >> Yep, that'll be the pattern everywhere, even though linear-thinking
    >> simpletons haven't grasped it yet.

    > Someone from Brazil told me yesterday that about 8% of the people in Brazil use
    > GNU/Linux. Sadly, they use it just because it's cheap. They don't value
    > Freedom.

    8%? Even if approximate, it is encouraging.

    Anyway, don't look a gift penguin in the mouth .

    (Gratuitous sound effects for the benefit of Clogwog and Hadron).

    --
    Lookie, lookie, here comes cookie...
    -- Stephen Sondheim

  4. Re: [News] Progress in Kerala on Migration to GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Someone from Brazil told me yesterday that about 8% of the people in
    > Brazil use GNU/Linux. Sadly, they use it just because it's cheap.
    > They don't value Freedom.

    Programming Languages: C/C++, Java, Visual Basic, MATLAB, Pascal, PHP,
    Prolog, ML, RISC ASM.

    Operating Systems: UNIX/Linux (most variants), Windows
    3x/95/98/2000/ME/NT/XP, Mac OS 9/10+, DOS, Palm OS.

    http://www.schestowitz.com/roy/

  5. Re: [News] Progress in Kerala on Migration to GNU/Linux

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:33:17 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Someone from Brazil told me yesterday that about 8% of the people in
    >> Brazil use GNU/Linux. Sadly, they use it just because it's cheap.
    >> They don't value Freedom.

    > Programming Languages: C/C++, Java, Visual Basic, MATLAB, Pascal, PHP,
    > Prolog, ML, RISC ASM.
    >
    > Operating Systems: UNIX/Linux (most variants), Windows
    > 3x/95/98/2000/ME/NT/XP, Mac OS 9/10+, DOS, Palm OS.
    >
    > http://www.schestowitz.com/roy/

    COLA's biggest phony.
    Along with Mark Kent.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: [News] Progress in Kerala on Migration to GNU/Linux

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:06:54 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Linonut on Thursday 21 August 2008 11:10 : \____
    >
    >> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> ____/ Matt on Thursday 21 August 2008 04:20 : \____

    >>> Someone from Brazil told me yesterday that about 8% of the people in Brazil
    >>> use GNU/Linux. Sadly, they use it just because it's cheap. They don't value
    >>> Freedom.

    >> 8%? Even if approximate, it is encouraging.
    >>
    >> Anyway, don't look a gift penguin in the mouth .

    Don't turn your back on one either as they tend to be homosexual.
    You don't have to worry though Roy.....
    It's the males that seem to have that tendency.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: [News] Progress in Kerala on Migration to GNU/Linux

    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:33:17 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Someone from Brazil told me yesterday that about 8% of the people in
    >>> Brazil use GNU/Linux. Sadly, they use it just because it's cheap.
    >>> They don't value Freedom.

    >> Programming Languages: C/C++, Java, Visual Basic, MATLAB, Pascal, PHP,
    >> Prolog, ML, RISC ASM.
    >>
    >> Operating Systems: UNIX/Linux (most variants), Windows
    >> 3x/95/98/2000/ME/NT/XP, Mac OS 9/10+, DOS, Palm OS.
    >>
    >> http://www.schestowitz.com/roy/

    > COLA's biggest phony.
    > Along with Mark Kent.

    Actually, that kind of crap is typical in resumes. You see these long
    lists of various technologies, but further grilling reveals that the
    interviewee has /maybe/ taken a class on some of them.

    Hell, I spent a lot of time on Pascal, but I couldn't write any today
    without a reference manual at hand. Same for MATLAB.

    Although it bugs me to say it, no programmer is complete without having
    had some Windows experience. It is eye-opening.
    It is almost unavoidable, and nothing to be ashamed of.

    --
    One of the major difficulties Trillian experienced in her relationship with
    Zaphod was learning to distinguish between him pretending to be stupid just

  8. Re: [News] Progress in Kerala on Migration to GNU/Linux

  9. Re: [News] Progress in Kerala on Migration to GNU/Linux

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:00:38 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Programming Languages: C/C++, Java, Visual Basic, MATLAB, Pascal, PHP,
    >>> Prolog, ML, RISC ASM.
    >>>
    >>> Operating Systems: UNIX/Linux (most variants), Windows
    >>> 3x/95/98/2000/ME/NT/XP, Mac OS 9/10+, DOS, Palm OS.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.schestowitz.com/roy/

    >> COLA's biggest phony.
    >> Along with Mark Kent.

    > Actually, that kind of crap is typical in resumes. You see these long
    > lists of various technologies, but further grilling reveals that the
    > interviewee has /maybe/ taken a class on some of them.
    >
    > Hell, I spent a lot of time on Pascal, but I couldn't write any today
    > without a reference manual at hand. Same for MATLAB.
    >
    > Although it bugs me to say it, no programmer is complete without having
    > had some Windows experience. It is eye-opening.
    > It is almost unavoidable, and nothing to be ashamed of.

    You won't find "worked for 3 years as an altar boy for the Pope" in a
    Muslim's current resume'.

    Read my other post describing the difference between a casual user and a
    rabid zealot like Schestowitz or Kent.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: [News] Progress in Kerala on Migration to GNU/Linux

    > You won't find "worked for 3 years as an altar boy for the Pope" in a
    > Muslim's current resume'.
    >
    > Read my other post describing the difference between a casual user and a
    > rabid zealot like Schestowitz or Kent.

    Poor analogy.

    Frankly, I agree with both of them quite often.

    They can also be silly or mule-headed. Can't we all?

    --
    knghtbrd: Eww, find a better name, the movie sucked..
    Mercury: The engine is better than the movie

  11. Re: [News] Progress in Kerala on Migration to GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Matt on Thursday 21 August 2008 04:20 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Open to dispute - Down to Earth
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.downtoearth.org.in/full6....ec_id=10&sid=1
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/64veq5
    >>>
    >>> The Free software they make will make it easier for other state to follow
    >>> suit.

    >> Yep, that'll be the pattern everywhere, even though linear-thinking
    >> simpletons haven't grasped it yet.

    > Someone from Brazil told me yesterday that about 8% of the people in Brazil use
    > GNU/Linux. Sadly, they use it just because it's cheap. They don't value
    > Freedom.

    Maybe FOSS will make a difference in Brazil's future so that they will
    be freer than they would have been without it, whether or not they are
    aware of it now.

+ Reply to Thread