[News] OLPC XO Runs Full-fledged GNU/Linux Distros - Linux

  1. [News] OLPC XO Runs Full-fledged GNU/Linux Distros

    Regular Linux desktops on the XO

    ,----[ Quoye ]
    | Me and Bobby Powers have spent a few hours smoothing out the process of
    | getting fully-featured Linux desktops to boot on the XO laptop. On the whole,
    | OLPC developers have been pretty good at getting code upstream, so only a few
    | fixups are needed to get things operational on the XO.
    `----

    http://www.reactivated.net/weblog/ar...ops-on-the-xo/

    Recent:

    Falling in Love with the XO All Over Again

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The social aspects of Sugar are what make the XO so fun and so compelling.
    | You just don’t experience it with a few XO’s in one place. David Cavallo is
    | right when he says that the key to OLPC is saturation and integrating it into
    | the fabric of education. *
    `----

    http://blog.olenepal.org/index.php/archives/248

    Related:

    Continued Impressions of Ubuntu 7.10 on the EeePC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Someone asked me today how Ubuntu was working on the EeePC. It’s working
    | great! I thought I might share some of my experiences so far, after a bit
    | more use. If you are interested in installing Ubuntu 7.10 on your EeePC head
    | on over to the Ubuntu Community Wiki and find out how!
    `----

    http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/01/...-on-the-eeepc/

    [OLPC XO] Original UI , Unique Operation [Part 2]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In fact, the Sugar does not have a concept of files. As the PC is based on
    | Linux, data are virtually located in files, of course. Nevertheless, the
    | Sugar is basically designed to store every operation result as a "Journal."
    |
    | In addition, we need to download screen data to edit such an article. The
    | Sugar automatically downloads the whole screen if both Alt and "1" keys are
    | pressed. The XO also automatically recognizes a USB memory device if it is
    | inserted. Using these capabilities, we took out and used screen data for
    | article editing.
    `----

    http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...080118/145750/

    First Look: OLPC's XO Laptop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Again, to compare the OLPC to today's notebook is missing the point of the
    | XO. It's intended as a sturdy, self-contained introduction to technology (and
    | to the Web) for children in developing nations. They haven't played with
    | Nintendo Wiis or an Apple Macintosh, much less a Windows or Linux system.
    | Without the OLPC effort, they may not have a laptop at all--and this one at
    | least provides a durable start.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...s/article.html

    Lessons to Learn from the OLPC

    ,----[ Gist ]
    | 1- Cheap is good
    |
    | 2- People don’t need a lot of power
    |
    | 3- Linux please
    |
    | 4- Flash storage is key
    |
    | 5- Make it efficient
    |
    | 6- Hand crank!
    |
    | 7- Don’t skimp on the features
    |
    | 8- Make it rugged
    |
    | 9- Make it look cool
    |
    | 10- It’s a tablet, too
    `----

    http://www.geek.com/lessons-to-learn-from-the-olpc/

    One Laptop Per Child (New Version), Reviewed by 12-Year-Old

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For a regular laptop, this would be the paragraph about its problems, its
    | deficiencies. But the thing is, there aren’t any problems with this computer!
    | Congratulations, OLPC. You’ve done it. Or will you come out with yet better
    | laptops? Is that even possible? We’ll have to see...
    `----

    http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1206

    (Video) OLPC Interface Walkthrough

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Previously known as the $100 laptop, the OLPC boasts a 500mhz
    | Processor, Linux OS, 1GB Memory, and a Two-Mode Display (Color and B&W).
    `----

    http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...ce-walkthrough

  2. Re: [News] OLPC XO Runs Full-fledged GNU/Linux Distros

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:27:02 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Regular Linux desktops on the XO
    >
    > ,----[ Quoye ]
    >| Me and Bobby Powers have spent a few hours smoothing out the process of
    >| getting fully-featured Linux desktops to boot on the XO laptop. On the whole,
    >| OLPC developers have been pretty good at getting code upstream, so only a few
    >| fixups are needed to get things operational on the XO.

    What a complete and total waste of time.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] OLPC XO Runs Full-fledged GNU/Linux Distros

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:27:02 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Regular Linux desktops on the XO
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quoye ]
    >>| Me and Bobby Powers have spent a few hours smoothing out the process of
    >>| getting fully-featured Linux desktops to boot on the XO laptop. On the whole,
    >>| OLPC developers have been pretty good at getting code upstream, so only a few
    >>| fixups are needed to get things operational on the XO.

    > What a complete and total waste of time.

    What? Your post?

    --
    One Bell System - it works.

+ Reply to Thread