[News] Memopal Ported to GNU/Linux - Linux

  2. Re: [News] Memopal Ported to GNU/Linux

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:21:29 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Memopal: Online Backup in Public Beta for Linux

    99 percent of Linux software is beta, whether they tell you or not.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Memopal Ported to GNU/Linux

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:21:29 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Memopal: Online Backup in Public Beta for Linux

    > 99 percent of Linux software is beta, whether they tell you or not.

    That is seriously untrue. One big example? All the apps in Debian
    stable.

    Now, in Debian testing, unstable, or experimental, you'll find more
    stuff closer to the bleeding edge.

    You seem to be a big fan of misleading capsule summaries and unjustified
    generalizations, Moshe.

    Let me try to think of any package I use that has not been essentially
    feature complete for a few years...

    fluxbox. Nah, that's been at 1.0 for quite awhile now, and that team
    rarely releases anyway.

    OpenOffice 2.4. Nah, that's been out for awhile.

    Firefox 3.0. Maybe; I've experienced a few rough edges with it.

    Kernel 2.6.25? Perhaps. The latest stable version is 2.6.26.3, though.

    Yeah, I still don't buy your 99% number.

    Vista was more of a beta, really.

    --
    My father was a God-fearing man, but he never missed a copy of the
    New York Times, either.

  4. Re: [News] Memopal Ported to GNU/Linux

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:37:39 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> That is seriously untrue. One big example? All the apps in Debian
    >> stable.

    > ubuntu which is arguably the most popular Linux distribution.
    >
    > Draw your own conclusions....I

    Huh? At worst, Ubuntu may be finding a 6-month release cycle a bit
    "wobbly".

    > Just a sampling....
    >
    > Software Packages in "hardy"
    >
    > 2vcard (0.5-2) [universe]
    > perl script to convert an addressbook to VCARD file format
    > 3270-common (3.3.4p6-3.3) [universe]
    > Common files for IBM 3270 emulators and pr3287
    > 3dchess (0.8.1-13) [universe]
    > 3D chess for X11

    What's your point with this list?

    --
    "Otherwise, please speak to a doctor about removing your head from your
    ass, I believe it would be beneficial to all involved."

  5. Re: [News] Memopal Ported to GNU/Linux

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:07:27 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:37:39 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>>
    >>> That is seriously untrue. One big example? All the apps in Debian
    >>> stable.

    >> ubuntu which is arguably the most popular Linux distribution.
    >>
    >> Draw your own conclusions....I

    > Huh? At worst, Ubuntu may be finding a 6-month release cycle a bit
    > "wobbly".
    >
    >> Just a sampling....
    >>
    >> Software Packages in "hardy"
    >>
    >> 2vcard (0.5-2) [universe]
    >> perl script to convert an addressbook to VCARD file format
    >> 3270-common (3.3.4p6-3.3) [universe]
    >> Common files for IBM 3270 emulators and pr3287
    >> 3dchess (0.8.1-13) [universe]
    >> 3D chess for X11

    > What's your point with this list?

    Look at the version numbers...
    And please let's not get into the endless "what does a 1.0+ version really
    mean".
    The typical Linux application is loaded to the gunwales with beta software.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: [News] Memopal Ported to GNU/Linux

    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:07:27 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>

    >> What's your point with this list?

    > Look at the version numbers...
    > And please let's not get into the endless "what does a 1.0+ version really
    > mean".
    > The typical Linux application is loaded to the gunwales with beta software.

    The version numbers don't mean much. Some guys are afraid to commit to
    version 1, other guys approach it asymptotically.

    slrn is at 0.9.9 now, but it is essentially feature complete and well
    written.

    Fluxbox just turned 1.0, but it's been at 0.9 for years.

    Streamtuner is at 0.99.99, but it's been that way for years.

    mrxvt is at 0.5.3, but it is essentially feature-complete and stable.

    gimp, firefox, openoffice, glibc, gcc/g++, gdb, vim, KDE (well, 3.5
    anyway), Gnome, valgrind, lyx, nautilus, are all in advanced versions
    and in no way are beta software.

    You'd be hard-pressed to find any correlation between version number and
    code-quality. Maybe a small correlation, since version numbers can only
    go up as time goes on, and code quality almosts always improves (except
    when somebody decides to completely refactor their project or
    convert it to another language. Taskjuggler 2.4 is still being
    maintained, for example, but Taskjuggler III is now being written in
    Ruby, IIRC.)

    --
    A friend of mine has a barcode on his arm.
    He rings up as a $.35 pack of JuicyFruit.

  7. Re: [News] Memopal Ported to GNU/Linux

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:56:32 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:07:27 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>>

    >>> What's your point with this list?

    >> Look at the version numbers...
    >> And please let's not get into the endless "what does a 1.0+ version really
    >> mean".
    >> The typical Linux application is loaded to the gunwales with beta software.

    > The version numbers don't mean much. Some guys are afraid to commit to
    > version 1, other guys approach it asymptotically.
    >
    > slrn is at 0.9.9 now, but it is essentially feature complete and well
    > written.
    >
    > Fluxbox just turned 1.0, but it's been at 0.9 for years.
    >
    > Streamtuner is at 0.99.99, but it's been that way for years.
    >
    > mrxvt is at 0.5.3, but it is essentially feature-complete and stable.
    >
    > gimp, firefox, openoffice, glibc, gcc/g++, gdb, vim, KDE (well, 3.5
    > anyway), Gnome, valgrind, lyx, nautilus, are all in advanced versions
    > and in no way are beta software.
    >
    > You'd be hard-pressed to find any correlation between version number and
    > code-quality. Maybe a small correlation, since version numbers can only
    > go up as time goes on, and code quality almosts always improves (except
    > when somebody decides to completely refactor their project or
    > convert it to another language. Taskjuggler 2.4 is still being
    > maintained, for example, but Taskjuggler III is now being written in
    > Ruby, IIRC.)

    How many times have you clicked on a Linux application and found that the
    Help is not complete?
    Sometimes they even ask if the user wants to contribute toward the Help
    System.
    Not a bad idea, but still.

    How many times have you had that happen with a Windows application?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: [News] Memopal Ported to GNU/Linux

    > How many times have you clicked on a Linux application and found that the
    > Help is not complete?

    Quite frequently. However, /not/ in any of the apps I mentioned in the

    > Sometimes they even ask if the user wants to contribute toward the Help
    > System.
    > Not a bad idea, but still.
    >
    > How many times have you had that happen with a Windows application?

    A fair amount. Not with Office.

    However, I've never found Microsoft Help all that satisfactory. All too
    often I still have to go to Google to find the answer.

    Help is never long enough.

    --
    The Sixth Commandment of Frisbee:
    The greatest single aid to distance is for the disc to be going in a

+ Reply to Thread