[News] Perspectives: Bright Future for Desktop GNU/Linux - Linux

  1. [News] Perspectives: Bright Future for Desktop GNU/Linux

    Ubuntu | The glorious future of Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I can go forever, but these are the main reasons that really help Linux
    | establish in the mainstream desktop with the help of Ubuntu. More than
    | anything else, there is a lot more community push in the development of
    | Ubuntu and it is highly responsible for the popularity and development of
    | this distribution.
    `----

    http://gutsblow.blogspot.com/2008/08...-of-linux.html

    The Linux Ecosystem...Changes Ahead

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If a distribution is popular enough, the hardware vendors will want it to run
    | on their goods. OEM's and hardware vendors who work together to help bring
    | support for their hardware to the kernel will ultimately beat out
    | competitors. The age where Linux is in-demand enough to create this ecosystem
    | is close at hand, and in some ways, already exists.
    |
    | Nothing is written in stone. No one can predict what will happen, we can only
    | speculate. However, we can probably be assured that the funding to keep Linux
    | around will come from many places, maybe even ones we haven't thought of yet.
    `----

    http://blog.phunnypharm.org/2008/08/...ges-ahead.html

    Recent:

    A bright open source future

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some exciting new software items are on the verge of release. This includes
    | an update to the core Linux kernel itself, a new release of Ubuntu, and a
    | brand new Firefox. Here’s the low down on each and why the immediate future
    | is all good news. *
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17581/1143/

    Old:

    EDN highlights Linux's success in phones

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux powered about a quarter of all "feature phones" shipped in
    | 2005, according to market analysts cited by Webb. Linux grew
    | fastest in Asia, in phones from NEC, Panasonic, and Motorola,
    | he notes. Meanwhile, mobile subscribers worldwide are expected
    | to grow from 100 million to about 350 million, thanks largely to
    | cellular rollouts in India, he says.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Perspectives: Bright Future for Desktop GNU/Linux

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:09:00 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > The Linux Ecosystem...Changes Ahead

    Until you Linux fools stop eating your young, Linux will go no place.

    Linux has been free for 15+ years and it's desktop market share is
    pathetic.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Perspectives: Bright Future for Desktop GNU/Linux

    On Aug 20, 7:30*pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:09:00 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > > The Linux Ecosystem...Changes Ahead

    > Until you Linux fools stop eating your young, Linux will go no place.
    >
    > Linux has been free for 15+ years and it's desktop market share is
    > pathetic.
    >
    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    Is this the year of the linux desktop?
    They have said it for 15 years.

    Hmmm. This is the year of Fedora and Ubuntu freezes.
    Maybe they have their goals to high. They are chasing
    microsoft. Maybe they need to fend off Play Station 3.
    It might win.

  4. Re: Perspectives: Bright Future for Desktop GNU/Linux

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:03:18 -0700 (PDT), Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > On Aug 20, 7:30*pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:09:00 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> The Linux Ecosystem...Changes Ahead

    >> Until you Linux fools stop eating your young, Linux will go no place.
    >>
    >> Linux has been free for 15+ years and it's desktop market share is
    >> pathetic.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Moshe Goldfarb
    >> Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    >> Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    > Is this the year of the linux desktop?
    > They have said it for 15 years.
    >
    > Hmmm. This is the year of Fedora and Ubuntu freezes.
    > Maybe they have their goals to high. They are chasing
    > microsoft. Maybe they need to fend off Play Station 3.
    > It might win.

    Linux has definitely improved over the 15+ years.
    The problem is Joe user doesn't seem to care which is why the market share
    is stagnant.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: