TangoGPS - Linux

This is a discussion on TangoGPS - Linux ; http://www.tangogps.org/gps/cat/News http://www.gpsdrive.de/ http://www.fsckin.com/2008/04/06/rev...-gps-packages/ (Of particular note in that last link is Viking, also in the Debian repositories.) Poor flatty. -- "Faith: not *wanting* to know what is true." -- Friedrich Nietzsche...

  1. TangoGPS

    --
    "Faith: not *wanting* to know what is true."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

  2. Re: TangoGPS

    On Aug 20, 1:44*pm, Linonut wrote:
    > http://www.tangogps.org/gps/cat/News
    >
    > http://www.gpsdrive.de/
    >
    > http://www.fsckin.com/2008/04/06/rev...-gps-packages/
    >
    > (Of particular note in that last link is Viking, also in the Debian
    > repositories.)
    >
    > Poor flatty.
    >
    > --
    > "Faith: *not *wanting* to know what is true."
    > * * * * * * * * -- Friedrich Nietzsche

    The reviews are not that impressive.
    It is all geek stuff.......

  3. Re: TangoGPS

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:03:01 -0700 (PDT), Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > On Aug 20, 1:44*pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> http://www.tangogps.org/gps/cat/News
    >>
    >> http://www.gpsdrive.de/
    >>
    >> http://www.fsckin.com/2008/04/06/rev...-gps-packages/
    >>
    >> (Of particular note in that last link is Viking, also in the Debian
    >> repositories.)
    >>
    >> Poor flatty.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Faith: *not *wanting* to know what is true."
    >> * * * * * * * * -- Friedrich Nietzsche

    > The reviews are not that impressive.
    > It is all geek stuff.......

    Yes it is...

    Take a look at one of the top of the line GPS devices and carefully observe
    all the features that can be easily accessed with the Windows/Mac software.

    Now try all that with Linux, easily...

    next....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: TangoGPS

    On 2008-08-20, Linonut claimed:
    > http://www.tangogps.org/gps/cat/News
    >
    > http://www.gpsdrive.de/
    >
    > http://www.fsckin.com/2008/04/06/rev...-gps-packages/
    >
    > (Of particular note in that last link is Viking, also in the Debian
    > repositories.)
    >
    > Poor flatty.

    Why's that? Was Flatso trying to find s/h/it's way away from COLA? To
    Rosie O'Donnell's crib? In front of a speeding train?

    --
    Bring Vista to its knees: start an application.
    Oh, that's right. You can't!

  5. Re: TangoGPS

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:03:01 -0700 (PDT), Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    >
    > Take a look at one of the top of the line GPS devices and carefully observe
    > all the features that can be easily accessed with the Windows/Mac software.
    >
    > Now try all that with Linux, easily...
    >
    > next....

    Next what. You're simply being idiotic. Not to mention moving the
    goalposts.

    --
    Oh, so there you are!

  6. Re: TangoGPS

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:31:28 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:03:01 -0700 (PDT), Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    >>
    >> Take a look at one of the top of the line GPS devices and carefully observe
    >> all the features that can be easily accessed with the Windows/Mac software.
    >>
    >> Now try all that with Linux, easily...
    >>
    >> next....

    > Next what. You're simply being idiotic. Not to mention moving the
    > goalposts.

    No.
    You're the one moving the goalposts.

    Nobody said anything about source code to the thing.
    We are talking about APPLICATIONS average Joe will use.

    My statement is true....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: TangoGPS

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:31:28 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> Next what. You're simply being idiotic. Not to mention moving the
    >> goalposts.

    > No.
    > You're the one moving the goalposts.
    >
    > Nobody said anything about source code to the thing.
    > We are talking about APPLICATIONS average Joe will use.

    Already covered.

    http://images.mccoveychronicles.com/...tDeadHorse.gif

    --
    Do you think that illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?

  8. Re: TangoGPS

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:31:28 -0400
    :
    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:03:01 -0700 (PDT), Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    >>
    >> Take a look at one of the top of the line GPS devices and carefully observe
    >> all the features that can be easily accessed with the Windows/Mac software.
    >>
    >> Now try all that with Linux, easily...
    >>
    >> next....

    > Next what. You're simply being idiotic. Not to mention moving the
    > goalposts.

    I for one am a little confused here; a Google for

    "GPS device Windows software"

    coughed up http://www.fugawi.com/web/products/pathaway.htm
    which appears to be Windows software for a pocket PC,
    which presumably contains integrated GPS capability
    (otherwise there's no point to the software!).

    http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS7339857466.html
    suggests that a Taiwanese handset manufacturer will use
    Soleus, which is based on Windows CE,
    on a mobile phone with GPS and MDTV capabilities.

    http://www.i-go.com/
    which is GPS navigation software for Windows Mobile-based PDAs and
    smartphones.

    Presumably what Moshe meant was top of the line phones with GPS
    capability. However, a search for

    "GPS device Linux software"

    coughs up http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=gpl,
    which apparently is using a lot of FOSS,

    http://tuxmobil.org/linux_gps_naviga...lications.html,
    which is a directory of Linux or Linux-based applications
    for various GPS devices and/or phones with GPS.

    "Cheap, hackable Linux smartphone due soon" (2006-11-07, so
    it's a little stale).

    http://www.gps-practice-and-fun.com/...for-linux.html
    GPS software for Linux computer systems. I'm not up on NMEA.

    It is far from clear that Windows is ahead here, though it
    might have better integration on actual phones.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: No such file or directory

  9. Re: TangoGPS

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > http://www.gps-practice-and-fun.com/...for-linux.html
    > GPS software for Linux computer systems. I'm not up on NMEA.
    >
    > It is far from clear that Windows is ahead here, though it
    > might have better integration on actual phones.

    Right now, Windows is the main player for consumers. Vendors will make
    sure that the Windows user can connect to their portables.

    They may even support the Mac, in fact this is common, since the Mac is
    the only other corporate consumer platform out there at this time.

    They won't often make sure that the UNIX user can do so. For one, they
    don't often have the time to add support for a niche platform. For
    another thing, they realize they can usually count on the OSS community
    to do their job for them.

    Flatty wants to continually harp on this obvious fact as if it should be
    a deterrent to the usage of Linux for /any/ Windows user.

    Like Microsoft, he counts on the user having a lack of even a modicum of
    technical savvy (e.g. "Googling ability"), in order to stay locked to
    the dominant standard platform, cruddy though it is in some respects.

    The only way to counter Flatty's influence is to be there for your
    friends who are frustrated with Windows and looking for a way out. Help
    them decide. But, otherwise, let them stew until they awaken.

    --
    I finally went to the eye doctor. I got contacts. I only need them to
    read, so I got flip-ups.

+ Reply to Thread