The insanity of so many different Distro's - Linux

This is a discussion on The insanity of so many different Distro's - Linux ; I am trying to install some software on Ubuntu. I have read the instructions. They want me to configure, check all the dependencies, and then compile. I am thinking: just have one distro, and lots of options. Then, the developers ...

  1. The insanity of so many different Distro's

    I am trying to install some software on Ubuntu.
    I have read the instructions. They want me to
    configure, check all the dependencies, and then
    compile. I am thinking: just have one distro,
    and lots of options. Then, the developers who
    are making this stuff, can just pass out compiled code.

    It is very unfriendly. Thanks for the code, but
    I don't want to learn your freakin code. That is a
    lot of work.

    So I am compiling, and it fails on 5 dependencies.
    Here is an example.

    g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -D_REENTRANT -pipe -Wall -fno-exceptions
    -Wno-unused-value -fsigned-char -fvisibility=hidden -g -Os -fno-omit-
    frame-pointer -O2 -c main.cpp -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/gb_image_la-main.o

    How insane is this? i like choice, but dang.....

  2. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > How insane is this? *i like choice, but dang.....

    Be honest.

    You wouldn't know choice if it bit you in the ass.

    You would be better off in the old Soviet Union, or in Nazi Germany,
    standing in line for the state sponsored people's car, or the state
    sponsored people's radio etc.

  3. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:46:10 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > I am trying to install some software on Ubuntu. I have read the
    > instructions. They want me to configure, check all the dependencies,
    > and then compile. I am thinking: just have one distro, and lots of
    > options. Then, the developers who are making this stuff, can just pass
    > out compiled code.
    >
    > It is very unfriendly. Thanks for the code, but I don't want to learn
    > your freakin code. That is a lot of work.
    >
    > So I am compiling, and it fails on 5 dependencies. Here is an example.
    >
    > g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -D_REENTRANT -pipe -Wall -fno-exceptions
    > -Wno-unused-value -fsigned-char -fvisibility=hidden -g -Os -fno-omit-
    > frame-pointer -O2 -c main.cpp -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/gb_image_la-main.o
    >
    > How insane is this? i like choice, but dang.....

    1) that would be plural 'distros' not possesive "distro's" - distro's
    what?

    2) What software? Did you check the Ubuntu repositories (search in
    synaptic) first? Or is there other software in the repositories that will
    do the same thing?

  4. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    On Aug 20, 12:46*pm, "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote:
    > I am trying to install some software on Ubuntu.
    > I have read the instructions. *They want me to
    > configure, check all the dependencies, and then
    > compile. *I am thinking: *just have one distro,
    > and lots of options. *Then, the developers who
    > are making this stuff, can just pass out compiled code.
    >
    > It is very unfriendly. *Thanks for the code, but
    > I don't want to learn your freakin code. *That is a
    > lot of work.
    >
    > So I am compiling, and it fails on 5 dependencies.
    > Here is an example.
    >
    > *g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -D_REENTRANT -pipe -Wall -fno-exceptions
    > -Wno-unused-value -fsigned-char -fvisibility=hidden -g -Os -fno-omit-
    > frame-pointer -O2 -c main.cpp *-fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/gb_image_la-main.o
    >
    > How insane is this? *i like choice, but dang.....

    Next time, just use the Synaptic Package Manager.

  5. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    On Aug 20, 12:46*pm, "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote:
    > I am trying to install some software on Ubuntu.
    > I have read the instructions. *They want me to
    > configure, check all the dependencies, and then
    > compile. *I am thinking: *just have one distro,
    > and lots of options. *Then, the developers who
    > are making this stuff, can just pass out compiled code.
    >
    > It is very unfriendly. *Thanks for the code, but
    > I don't want to learn your freakin code. *That is a
    > lot of work.
    >
    > So I am compiling, and it fails on 5 dependencies.
    > Here is an example.
    >
    > *g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -D_REENTRANT -pipe -Wall -fno-exceptions
    > -Wno-unused-value -fsigned-char -fvisibility=hidden -g -Os -fno-omit-
    > frame-pointer -O2 -c main.cpp *-fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/gb_image_la-main.o
    >
    > How insane is this? *i like choice, but dang.....

    I compline about Ubuntu alot -- and many users here will attest to
    this. However, I would say one thing for Ubuntu/Debian distros they
    are very good at solving dependencies problem. Slackware is a
    dependencies version of hell.

    Now, in Ubuntu it's very easy use apt-get or synaptic. Make sure you
    have up-to-date url list in /etc/apt/source.list. Other then that I
    can't think of anyting.

    I have notice one think, many linux users can't stand Ubuntu -- I
    happen to be one of them. I would suggest you try some other distro,
    Gentoo is a very good distro emerge package is excellent. Novell Suze
    (I personally don't like it) is also a fine choice, followed by Xandros

  6. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:46:10 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > I am trying to install some software on Ubuntu

    [...]
    > So I am compiling, and it fails on 5 dependencies. Here is an example.

    And the reason you don't use a package manager is?

    If you want to compile code, use Gentoo (which has one of, if not the best,
    package manager, BTW). Either way, you're *still* using a package
    manager.

    If you want to stick with Ubuntu, that's ok, too. I'm not familiar with
    the process, but I'm sure rather than compiling directly you can make
    the equivalent of a RPM and *then* use the package manager.

    -Thufir

  7. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    thufir wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:46:10 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to install some software on Ubuntu

    > [...]
    >> So I am compiling, and it fails on 5 dependencies. Here is an example.

    > And the reason you don't use a package manager is?
    >
    > If you want to compile code, use Gentoo (which has one of, if not the
    > best,
    > package manager, BTW). Either way, you're *still* using a package
    > manager.
    >
    > If you want to stick with Ubuntu, that's ok, too. I'm not familiar with
    > the process, but I'm sure rather than compiling directly you can make
    > the equivalent of a RPM and *then* use the package manager.
    >
    > -Thufir

    Ubuntu uses the debian mechanism
    Although with "alien" you get to use RPM too

    Just as the other way around. With alien, you get to use DEB on RPM systems,
    too
    --
    Warning: 10 days have passed since your last Windows reinstall.

+ Reply to Thread