The insanity of so many different Distro's - Linux

This is a discussion on The insanity of so many different Distro's - Linux ; I am trying to install some software on Ubuntu. I have read the instructions. They want me to configure, check all the dependencies, and then compile. I am thinking: just have one distro, and lots of options. Then, the developers ...

  1. The insanity of so many different Distro's

    I am trying to install some software on Ubuntu.
    I have read the instructions. They want me to
    configure, check all the dependencies, and then
    compile. I am thinking: just have one distro,
    and lots of options. Then, the developers who
    are making this stuff, can just pass out compiled code.

    It is very unfriendly. Thanks for the code, but
    I don't want to learn your freakin code. That is a
    lot of work.

    So I am compiling, and it fails on 5 dependencies.
    Here is an example.

    g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -D_REENTRANT -pipe -Wall -fno-exceptions
    -Wno-unused-value -fsigned-char -fvisibility=hidden -g -Os -fno-omit-
    frame-pointer -O2 -c main.cpp -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/gb_image_la-main.o

    How insane is this? i like choice, but dang.....

  2. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote:
    > I am trying to install some software on Ubuntu.
    > I have read the instructions. They want me to
    > configure, check all the dependencies, and then
    > compile. I am thinking: just have one distro,
    > and lots of options. Then, the developers who
    > are making this stuff, can just pass out compiled code.

    Didn't occur to you to install it FROM the repositories in pre-compiled
    format did it? Or is this some really obscure stuff not included in the
    ubuntu repositories?
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  3. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    >"Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote:
    >>
    >> I am trying to install some software on Ubuntu.
    >> I have read the instructions. They want me to
    >> configure, check all the dependencies, and then
    >> compile. I am thinking:

    You are lying. What is this "some software", exactly?

  4. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    On 2008-08-20, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > I am trying to install some software on Ubuntu.
    > I have read the instructions. They want me to
    > configure, check all the dependencies, and then
    > compile. I am thinking: just have one distro,
    > and lots of options. Then, the developers who
    > are making this stuff, can just pass out compiled code.

    Why? This stuff will compile itself if the build
    scripts are worth anything. That's rather the point of
    them. Both RPM and APT are quite capable of this.

    > It is very unfriendly. Thanks for the code, but

    Probably not. A proper makefile is something that your
    granny can handle so long as you aren't trying to give her
    a heart attack by fearmongering.

    > I don't want to learn your freakin code. That is a
    > lot of work.
    >
    > So I am compiling, and it fails on 5 dependencies.
    > Here is an example.

    It sounds like you've discovered the joys of being
    able to follow a project from the first hour of it's
    inception.

    > g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -D_REENTRANT -pipe -Wall -fno-exceptions
    > -Wno-unused-value -fsigned-char -fvisibility=hidden -g -Os -fno-omit-
    > frame-pointer -O2 -c main.cpp -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/gb_image_la-main.o
    >
    > How insane is this? i like choice, but dang.....

    Insane is right. You haven't even bothered to tell us what the
    error was that it spat out. How is it you think you can claim to be
    missing 5 dependencies when you don't even seem to know where the
    error messages are.

    ...and the above is merely intimidating. Understanding it or not
    understanding it won't matter much in terms of whether or not you can
    build it.

    Not to mention... this stuff isn't just for one architecture
    variant of Linux. It's for ANY platform. That includes Linux, the
    other Unixen, Windows, MacOS and even VMS.

    Although it's all probably moot anyways...

    apt-get install .*gb-image.*
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Note, selecting gambas2-gb-image for regex '.*gb-image.*'

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  5. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    In article ,
    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-08-20, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > > I am trying to install some software on Ubuntu.
    > > I have read the instructions. They want me to
    > > configure, check all the dependencies, and then
    > > compile. I am thinking: just have one distro,
    > > and lots of options. Then, the developers who
    > > are making this stuff, can just pass out compiled code.

    > Why? This stuff will compile itself if the build
    > scripts are worth anything. That's rather the point of
    > them. Both RPM and APT are quite capable of this.

    RPM has a nice feature that very few use. I don't know if APT has
    something similar or not.

    A developer can include in a source tarball an RPM spec file. A user
    can then invoke RPM on that tarball, and RPM will look inside, find that
    spec file, build an RPM based on that, install the binaries from that,
    and clean up.

    Net result: developer doesn't not have to bother building and
    distributing RPMs, but the user still gets to use RPM to install the
    software, thus getting the benefits of the packaging system (e.g.,
    dependency checking, easy updating or uninstalling, and so on).

    Things would be a lot nicer in the Linux world of developers would start
    supporting this.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  6. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    On 2008-08-20, chrisv claimed:
    >>"Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I am trying to install some software on Ubuntu.
    >>> I have read the instructions. They want me to
    >>> configure, check all the dependencies, and then
    >>> compile. I am thinking:

    > You are lying. What is this "some software", exactly?

    He may have been lying twice. He also claimed to be thinking. Unless he
    meant that part as a figure of speech.

    --
    Q: How many Windows jokes are there?
    A: Millions. They're called "users".

  7. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:42:36 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > RPM has a nice feature that very few use. I don't know if APT has
    > something similar or not.
    >
    > A developer can include in a source tarball an RPM spec file. A user
    > can then invoke RPM on that tarball, and RPM will look inside, find that
    > spec file, build an RPM based on that, install the binaries from that,
    > and clean up.

    What's the labor difference between including an RPM spec and just
    building an RPM?

    -Thufir

  8. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    On Aug 20, 2:57*pm, chrisv wrote:
    > >"Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote:

    > >> I am trying to install some software on Ubuntu.
    > >> I have read the instructions. *They want me to
    > >> configure, check all the dependencies, and then
    > >> compile. *I am thinking:

    > You are lying. *What is this "some software", exactly?

    Gambas 3. Well, you do know that this is how most
    stuff is compiled. Or do you?

    HAHAHAHAHA. you don't use LINUX.
    Otherwise, you would know this.

    CHRISV don't even use linux. AHHAHAHAHA.
    What an advocate.

    Keep your day job.

  9. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Psyc Geek (TAB)

    wrote
    on Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:15:19 -0700 (PDT)
    :

    >> You are lying. *What is this "some software", exactly?

    > Gambas 3. Well, you do know that this is how most
    > stuff is compiled. Or do you?
    >
    > HAHAHAHAHA. you don't use LINUX.
    > Otherwise, you would know this.
    >
    > CHRISV don't even use linux. AHHAHAHAHA.
    > What an advocate.
    >
    > Keep your day job.

    And you know this how? All his headers tell you is that
    he doesn't use Linux for actual *posting*. (For all
    I know chrisv uses an embedded Linux development kit.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #8830129:
    std::set<...> v; for(..:iterator i = v.begin(); i != v.end(); i++)
    if(*i == thing) {...}

  10. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    > Fsckwit geek wrote:

    >>> You are lying. *What is this "some software", exactly?

    >> Gambas 3. Well, you do know that this is how most stuff is compiled.
    >> Or do you?

    I know that only a trolling fsckwit would claim that you must "configure,
    check all the dependencies, and then compile" to install gambas.

    Try "sudo apt-get install gambas" next time, fsckwit. Faster and easier
    than any Windwoes install...

    >> HAHAHAHAHA. you don't use LINUX.

    Are you sure about that, fsckwit?

    >> Otherwise, you would know this.

    Ironic, coming from some Wintrolling fsckwit who doesn't seem to know
    about apt-get and synaptic...

  11. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    chrisv wrote:
    > I know that only a trolling fsckwit would claim that you must "configure,
    > check all the dependencies, and then compile" to install gambas.
    >
    > Try "sudo apt-get install gambas" next time, fsckwit. Faster and easier
    > than any Windwoes install...

    You missed the critical part of the troll.
    He deliberately picked something not in the ubuntu repository.
    Just so he could whine and complain as usual, like he'd ever have a use for
    gambas, let alone gambas 3.

    He probably only wants to use gambas 3 so he can complain and whine about
    how unstable alpha level software is.
    (current stable release is 2.8.something)

  12. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >> I know that only a trolling fsckwit would claim that you must "configure,
    >> check all the dependencies, and then compile" to install gambas.
    >>
    >> Try "sudo apt-get install gambas" next time, fsckwit. Faster and easier
    >> than any Windwoes install...

    > You missed the critical part of the troll.
    > He deliberately picked something not in the ubuntu repository.
    > Just so he could whine and complain as usual, like he'd ever have a use for
    > gambas, let alone gambas 3.
    >
    > He probably only wants to use gambas 3 so he can complain and whine about
    > how unstable alpha level software is.
    > (current stable release is 2.8.something)

    No surprise in any of that. Typical fsckwitted trolling tactics - try an
    alpha or beta, and then complain that it isn't ready for the masses.

  13. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:18:37 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    >> You missed the critical part of the troll. He deliberately picked
    >> something not in the ubuntu repository. Just so he could whine and
    >> complain as usual, like he'd ever have a use for gambas, let alone
    >> gambas 3.
    >>
    >> He probably only wants to use gambas 3 so he can complain and whine
    >> about how unstable alpha level software is. (current stable release is
    >> 2.8.something)

    > No surprise in any of that. Typical fsckwitted trolling tactics - try
    > an alpha or beta, and then complain that it isn't ready for the masses.

    Why would you even want to use gambas? Ruby, Java, Python, Perl, bash script,
    etc.

    -Thufir

  14. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    thufir wrote:

    > Why would you even want to use gambas? Ruby, Java, Python, Perl, bash
    > script, etc.

    Because there's no current alpha versions suitable for trolling? 8)

    Seriously (not), that's just too much choice! The OSS Culling Committee
    should only allow a couple "best" programming languages, to avoid
    confusion.

  15. Re: The insanity of so many different Distro's

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, thufir

    wrote
    on Thu, 21 Aug 2008 19:50:21 GMT
    <1Gjrk.24099$hx.1574@pd7urf3no>:
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:18:37 -0500, chrisv wrote:
    >
    >>> You missed the critical part of the troll. He deliberately picked
    >>> something not in the ubuntu repository. Just so he could whine and
    >>> complain as usual, like he'd ever have a use for gambas, let alone
    >>> gambas 3.
    >>>
    >>> He probably only wants to use gambas 3 so he can complain and whine
    >>> about how unstable alpha level software is. (current stable release is
    >>> 2.8.something)

    >> No surprise in any of that. Typical fsckwitted trolling tactics - try
    >> an alpha or beta, and then complain that it isn't ready for the masses.

    > Why would you even want to use gambas? Ruby, Java, Python, Perl,
    > bash script, etc.
    >

    > -Thufir

    I for one would think Gambas of some use when porting old
    Visual Basic non-ASP crap. ;-) Of course, if it is a true
    port Python might be a better choice. Depending on problem
    subcategory (text processing? quickie utility? database
    access? Webservice access? Webservice definition?) the
    others might be useful as well.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
    void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }