Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On 2008-08-20, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Rick wrote:
    >>> Until you try to upload maps/trips etc to your GPS.

    >> Garmin Linux based unit?

    > Tomtom are also linux based.
    > So, the two MAJOR satnav companies are linux based...
    > What was that about windows again?

    Which garmin is linux based, just curious.

    My wife has a personal video player that is also linux based. Works
    great. Plays all sorts of video formats, that was a tipoff for me to
    check if it is Linux based.

    Here at work we are busy replacing Windows with Linux also.

    >> Oh, well.... too bad for them.
    >>
    >> But then... you don't want to say anyting positive abut Linux systems and
    >> OSS, do you?

    > For flatty, such a thing only happens when it's building up to a MAJOR
    > trolling session somewhere down the line, (when it's started saying nice
    > things about linux in order to snare people into thinking it'd turned over a
    > new leaf...)

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:19:36 -0500, Ignoramus15257 wrote:

    >>> Garmin Linux based unit?

    >> Tomtom are also linux based.
    >> So, the two MAJOR satnav companies are linux based...
    >> What was that about windows again?

    > Which garmin is linux based, just curious.

    Too bad the software that the end user needs to actually USE and fully
    exploit the features of those devices, doesn't work under Linux.

    > My wife has a personal video player that is also linux based. Works
    > great. Plays all sorts of video formats, that was a tipoff for me to
    > check if it is Linux based.

    Really?
    Why?
    Does it have a stolen Divixx CODEC (Depending upon where you live)

    > Here at work we are busy replacing Windows with Linux also.

    Sure they are.
    We believe you.
    Really we do.

    (Ubuntu Group Snipped)..

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    Ignoramus15257 wrote:

    >>> Garmin Linux based unit?

    >> Tomtom are also linux based.
    >> So, the two MAJOR satnav companies are linux based...
    >> What was that about windows again?

    > Which garmin is linux based, just curious.

    Well, the Tomtom Rider v2 is, I know that much.
    (It's designed for use on motorbikes, I don't have a car)

    I imagine quite a few of their line share similar OS just for simplicity's
    sake. Maybe all of 'em.

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  4. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:19:36 -0500, Ignoramus15257 wrote:

    >>> Tomtom are also linux based.
    >>> So, the two MAJOR satnav companies are linux based...
    >>> What was that about windows again?

    >> Which garmin is linux based, just curious.

    > Too bad the software that the end user needs to actually USE and fully
    > exploit the features of those devices, doesn't work under Linux.

    Wine covered most of those features (for tomtom at least), flatty.
    And anything wine can't do can be done with a little common sense manually.
    Biiig deal.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  5. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    CROSSPOSTING NOTED.

    >>> Tomtom are also linux based.
    >>> So, the two MAJOR satnav companies are linux based...
    >>> What was that about windows again?

    >> Which garmin is linux based, just curious.

    > Too bad the software that the end user needs to actually USE and fully
    > exploit the features of those devices, doesn't work under Linux.

    http://developer.garmin.com/linux/

    Garmin Developer

    This page contains links to source code archives for Garmin’s
    Linux-based products.

    Choose A Product:

    * nvi 8xx Series
    * nvi 5xxx Series

    Ye gods, though, it is a huge (270 Mb!) tarball!

    >> My wife has a personal video player that is also linux based. Works
    >> great. Plays all sorts of video formats, that was a tipoff for me to
    >> check if it is Linux based.

    > Really?
    > Why?
    > Does it have a stolen Divixx CODEC (Depending upon where you live)

    Why would it have a stolen codec, as opposed to a licensed one?
    The license costs, while notable, are not very large per unit.

    --
    Real programmers can write assembly code in any language. :-)
    -- Larry Wall in <8571@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>

  6. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    CROSSPOSTING SNIPPED.

    * Andrew Halliwell peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >> Too bad the software that the end user needs to actually USE and fully
    >> exploit the features of those devices, doesn't work under Linux.

    > Wine covered most of those features (for tomtom at least), flatty.
    > And anything wine can't do can be done with a little common sense manually.
    > Biiig deal.

    http://developer.garmin.com/linux/

    --
    Come on, Virginia, don't make me wait!
    Catholic girls start much too late,

  7. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:55:37 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > CROSSPOSTING NOTED.
    >
    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Which garmin is linux based, just curious.

    >> Too bad the software that the end user needs to actually USE and fully
    >> exploit the features of those devices, doesn't work under Linux.

    > http://developer.garmin.com/linux/
    >
    > Garmin Developer
    >
    > This page contains links to source code archives for Garmin’s
    > Linux-based products.
    >
    > Choose A Product:
    >
    > * nvi 8xx Series
    > * nvi 5xxx Series
    >
    > Ye gods, though, it is a huge (270 Mb!) tarball!

    That's the code to make the device function, not the code for the programs
    you load on the PC to fully use the device, like plan trips, update
    firmware etc.

    You know, that DVD that comes in the box...

    Windows 2000+ or Mac something or other +

    Linux no where to be found.

    >>> My wife has a personal video player that is also linux based. Works
    >>> great. Plays all sorts of video formats, that was a tipoff for me to
    >>> check if it is Linux based.

    >> Really?
    >> Why?
    >> Does it have a stolen Divixx CODEC (Depending upon where you live)

    > Why would it have a stolen codec, as opposed to a licensed one?
    > The license costs, while notable, are not very large per unit.

    Why?
    The Linux world thinks everything should be free.
    Even a couple of pennies is a big deal to them

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:55:37 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> CROSSPOSTING NOTED.
    >>
    >> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Too bad the software that the end user needs to actually USE and fully
    >>> exploit the features of those devices, doesn't work under Linux.

    >> http://developer.garmin.com/linux/

    > That's the code to make the device function, not the code for the programs
    > you load on the PC to fully use the device, like plan trips, update
    > firmware etc.
    >
    > You know, that DVD that comes in the box...
    >
    > Windows 2000+ or Mac something or other +
    >
    > Linux no where to be found.

    Bull****:

    http://www.ibiblio.org/fplan/Aviatio...n-HOWTO-8.html

    Of the projects mentioned there, gpsd and gpsman are in the Debian
    repositories.

    http://www.topology.org/soft/gps.html

    Additional software is mentioned, even for FreeBSD.

    ftp://ftp.snafu.org/pub/garmin-utils.tar.gz

    By the way, if you download the source code from Garmin, and look at the
    contents in that 270 Mb package, you'll find a Who's-Who of
    Free-and-Open-Source projects, including codecs, text-to-speech, window
    environments, and wireless and packet-sniffing software.

    Here's a screen shot from GPSman:

    http://www.ncc.up.pt/gpsman/scrshots/ES-gpsman.jpg

    --
    He is divisive. He is manipulative. He is a user. He has taken much from me and
    the industry.

  9. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:34:12 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:55:37 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> CROSSPOSTING NOTED.
    >>>
    >>> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> http://developer.garmin.com/linux/

    >> That's the code to make the device function, not the code for the programs
    >> you load on the PC to fully use the device, like plan trips, update
    >> firmware etc.
    >>
    >> You know, that DVD that comes in the box...
    >>
    >> Windows 2000+ or Mac something or other +
    >>
    >> Linux no where to be found.

    > Bull****:
    >
    > http://www.ibiblio.org/fplan/Aviatio...n-HOWTO-8.html
    >
    > Of the projects mentioned there, gpsd and gpsman are in the Debian
    > repositories.

    That's a mess compared to the official, commercial quality applications
    that come with the units.

    Did you actually read that page?

    > http://www.topology.org/soft/gps.html
    >
    > Additional software is mentioned, even for FreeBSD.

    Again a total mess of gobbly goop and probably nowhere near the
    functionality of the software that comes with the units.

    > ftp://ftp.snafu.org/pub/garmin-utils.tar.gz
    >
    > By the way, if you download the source code from Garmin, and look at the
    > contents in that 270 Mb package, you'll find a Who's-Who of
    > Free-and-Open-Source projects, including codecs, text-to-speech, window
    > environments, and wireless and packet-sniffing software.

    Who cares?
    Geeks?

    Average Joe wants to plan a trip, update his maps and firmware not compile
    applications and read some who's who.

    > Here's a screen shot from GPSman:
    >
    > http://www.ncc.up.pt/gpsman/scrshots/ES-gpsman.jpg

    You're comparing apples and oranges here, mostly.

    Like I said, the DVD in the box says Windows 2000+ and Mac supported.
    Linux?
    Good luck

    The best you can hope for is that someone wrote a code fragment to make
    some portion of your unit work under Linux.
    Take a look at some of the dates on that stuff as well.
    A lot has happened since 2004.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    "Ignoramus15257" wrote in message
    news:VcmdnQHNV7t1hDHVnZ2dnUVZ_h6dnZ2d@giganews.com ...

    >>> Garmin Linux based unit?

    >> Tomtom are also linux based.
    >> So, the two MAJOR satnav companies are linux based...
    >> What was that about windows again?

    > Which garmin is linux based, just curious.
    >
    > My wife has a personal video player that is also linux based. Works
    > great. Plays all sorts of video formats, that was a tipoff for me to
    > check if it is Linux based.
    >
    > Here at work we are busy replacing Windows with Linux also.

  11. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On 2008-08-20, Dale Harris wrote:

    > "Ignoramus15257" wrote in message
    > news:VcmdnQHNV7t1hDHVnZ2dnUVZ_h6dnZ2d@giganews.com ...

    >>> Tomtom are also linux based.
    >>> So, the two MAJOR satnav companies are linux based...
    >>> What was that about windows again?

    >> Which garmin is linux based, just curious.
    >>
    >> My wife has a personal video player that is also linux based. Works
    >> great. Plays all sorts of video formats, that was a tipoff for me to
    >> check if it is Linux based.
    >>
    >> Here at work we are busy replacing Windows with Linux also.

    This sounds fun. I would buy it two weeks ago if I knew. I ended up
    buying a Garmin Nuvi 680. Very exciting.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  12. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    >>> Linux no where to be found.

    >> Bull****:
    >>
    >> http://www.ibiblio.org/fplan/Aviatio...n-HOWTO-8.html
    >>
    >> Of the projects mentioned there, gpsd and gpsman are in the Debian
    >> repositories.

    > That's a mess compared to the official, commercial quality applications
    > that come with the units.

    How do you know?

    In any case, it counters your B.S.

    > Did you actually read that page?

    Of course.

    Apparently, Garmin actually /published/ its protocol, to allow people to
    make their own apps.

    Since the raison d'tre of open-source is to be able to bypass the
    commercial sector where they do not fulfill their duties to the
    consumers, this is quite adequate.

    > Again a total mess of gobbly goop and probably nowhere near the
    > functionality of the software that comes with the units.

    Of course, you don't really know, do you?

    > Who cares?
    > Geeks?
    >
    > Average Joe wants to plan a trip, update his maps and firmware not compile
    > applications and read some who's who.

    Irrelevant. Average Joe is already taken care of by his more
    knowledgeable peers. That's kind of the /point/ of open-source.

    > You're comparing apples and oranges here, mostly.
    >
    > Like I said, the DVD in the box says Windows 2000+ and Mac supported.
    > Linux?
    > Good luck

    Oh well, flatfish, I've already disproven your bull****. Now you're
    goalpost shifting and tossing in meaningless asides to try to minimize
    the fact that Garmin encourages Linux (and FreeBSD) support for their
    hardware, in addition to using Linux (and FreeBSD) code to /create/
    their device.

    > The best you can hope for is that someone wrote a code fragment to make
    > some portion of your unit work under Linux.

    Nope. Hope? Try dealing with actual functionality, rather than trying
    to paint it as "hope".

    http://www.maps-gps-info.com/fgpfw.html

    The trouble with you, Moshe, is that you're not really interested in
    Linux functionality. All you want to do is discourage potential Linux
    users, and make it seem as if Windows is the /only/ way to go with
    software. So your research is /always/ behind.

    If a function is desired by even one motivated person, it will be
    provided.

    Hell, they're even writing Garmin code in /Python/!

    > Take a look at some of the dates on that stuff as well.
    > A lot has happened since 2004.

    How about since 2008?

    The moral of the story is, if you are feeling a bit trouble with
    Windows, don't count alternatives out without doing some research.

    --
    === ALL CSH USERS PLEASE NOTE ========================

    Set the variable $LOSERS to all the people that you think are losers. This
    will cause all said losers to have the variable $PEOPLE-WHO-THINK-I-AM-A-LOSER
    updated in their .login file. Should you attempt to execute a job on a
    machine with poor response time and a machine on your local net is currently
    populated by losers, that machine will be freed up for your job through a
    cold boot process.

  13. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    Linonut wrote:
    > CROSSPOSTING NOTED.

    You're just full of surprises.

  14. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Aug 20, 11:47*am, "Moshe Goldfarb."
    wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:34:12 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    > > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > >> That's the code to make the device function, not the code for the programs
    > >> you load on the PC to fully use the device, like plan trips, update
    > >> firmware etc.

    > >> You know, that DVD that comes in the box...

    > >> Windows 2000+ or Mac something or other +

    > >> Linux no where to be found.

    > > Bull****:

    > > * *http://www.ibiblio.org/fplan/Aviatio...n-HOWTO-8.html

    > > Of the projects mentioned there, gpsd and gpsman are in the Debian
    > > repositories.

    > That's a mess compared to the official, commercial quality applications
    > that come with the units.
    >
    > Did you actually read that page?
    >
    > > * *http://www.topology.org/soft/gps.html

    > > Additional software is mentioned, even for FreeBSD.

    > Again a total mess of gobbly goop and probably nowhere near the
    > functionality of the software that comes with the units.
    >
    > > * *ftp://ftp.snafu.org/pub/garmin-utils.tar.gz

    > > By the way, if you download the source code from Garmin, and look at the
    > > contents in that 270 Mb package, you'll find a Who's-Who of
    > > Free-and-Open-Source projects, including codecs, text-to-speech, window
    > > environments, and wireless and packet-sniffing software.

    > Who cares?
    > Geeks?
    >
    > Average Joe wants to plan a trip, update his maps and firmware not compile
    > applications and read some who's who.
    >
    > > Here's a screen shot from GPSman:

    > > * *http://www.ncc.up.pt/gpsman/scrshots/ES-gpsman.jpg

    > You're comparing apples and oranges here, mostly.
    >
    > Like I said, the DVD in the box says Windows 2000+ and Mac supported.
    > Linux?
    > Good luck
    >
    > The best you can hope for is that someone wrote a code fragment to make
    > some portion of your unit work under Linux.
    > Take a look at some of the dates on that stuff as well.
    > A lot has happened since 2004.
    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    Did you see that web site?

    http://www.topology.org/soft/gps.html

    It is terrible. Don't people just want to USE stuff?

  15. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Aug 20, 11:59*am, Ignoramus15257 15257.invalid> wrote:
    > On 2008-08-20, Dale Harris wrote:
    >

    > > "Ignoramus15257" wrote in message
    > >news:VcmdnQHNV7t1hDHVnZ2dnUVZ_h6dnZ2d@giganews.com ...

    > >> Which garmin is linux based, just curious.

    > >> My wife has a personal video player that is also linux based. Works
    > >> great. Plays all sorts of video formats, that was a tipoff for me to
    > >> check if it is Linux based.

    > >> Here at work we are busy replacing Windows with Linux also.

    > >http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8827997755.html

    > This sounds fun. I would buy it two weeks ago if I knew. I ended up
    > buying a Garmin Nuvi 680. Very exciting.
    >
    > --
    > * *Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
    > * * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
    > * * * *from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
    > * * * * *more readers you will need to find a different means of
    > * * * * * * * * * * * *posting on Usenet.
    > * * * * * * * * * *http://improve-usenet.org/

    Right, you wanted something that WORKS and you don't fiddle with.
    I noticed it has MSN direct. Are you a linux nut or not? Don't you
    want to tinker with it?

    DESCRIPTION FROM AMAZON:
    Travel throughout North America without loading any more maps with the
    Garmin nüvi 680 Personal Travel Assistant with MSN Direct. Plus, you
    can receive door-to-door directions while staying on top of local
    weather, traffic, and more with nüvi 680. The device features a
    colorful widescreen, hands-free calling, and an FM transmitter, then
    takes it up a notch by adding dynamic content from MSN Direct, as well
    as a convenient digital travel kit that includes an MP3 player with
    sample MP3s, audio books, a picture viewer, a world clock, currency
    and measurement converters, a calculator, and more. Easy control via
    the simple touch screen. Weather reporting available with bright,
    colorful graphics. Despite being loaded with features, the nüvi 680
    still allows you to navigate with ease. This unit comes ready to go
    right out of the box with preloaded NavTeq City Navigator

  16. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On 2008-08-20, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > On Aug 20, 11:47*am, "Moshe Goldfarb."
    > wrote:
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:34:12 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >> > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    [deletia]
    >> Like I said, the DVD in the box says Windows 2000+ and Mac supported.
    >> Linux?
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >> The best you can hope for is that someone wrote a code fragment to make
    >> some portion of your unit work under Linux.
    >> Take a look at some of the dates on that stuff as well.
    >> A lot has happened since 2004.
    >> --
    >> Moshe Goldfarb
    >> Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    >> Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    > Did you see that web site?
    >
    > http://www.topology.org/soft/gps.html
    >
    > It is terrible. Don't people just want to USE stuff?

    You might as well rant about the Garmin itself while you are at it
    since this is just the sort of project you are whining about here.

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  17. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On 2008-08-20, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > On Aug 20, 11:59*am, Ignoramus15257 > 15257.invalid> wrote:
    >> On 2008-08-20, Dale Harris wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Ignoramus15257" wrote in message
    >> >news:VcmdnQHNV7t1hDHVnZ2dnUVZ_h6dnZ2d@giganews.com ...

    >> >http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8827997755.html

    >> This sounds fun. I would buy it two weeks ago if I knew. I ended up
    >> buying a Garmin Nuvi 680. Very exciting.
    >>
    >> --
    >> * *Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
    >> * * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
    >> * * * *from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
    >> * * * * *more readers you will need to find a different means of
    >> * * * * * * * * * * * *posting on Usenet.
    >> * * * * * * * * * *http://improve-usenet.org/

    > Right, you wanted something that WORKS and you don't fiddle with.

    Sounds like my Archos 605.

    > I noticed it has MSN direct. Are you a linux nut or not? Don't you
    > want to tinker with it?

    Dunno. When I find the need for something like this I might look
    into it.

    Although all of this nonsense has made me curious: how does this
    sort of software deal with stuff that's built into a car? Newer cars
    obsolete the sort of portable doo-dads you seem to be ranting about.

    Given the Lemming infatuation with new and shiny, why would any
    of them be using such a device? It would already be built into their
    (newish) car. So that leads back to the original question...

    [deletia]

    --
    Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
    / | \

  18. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:28:44 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Bull****:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ibiblio.org/fplan/Aviatio...n-HOWTO-8.html
    >>>
    >>> Of the projects mentioned there, gpsd and gpsman are in the Debian
    >>> repositories.

    >> That's a mess compared to the official, commercial quality applications
    >> that come with the units.

    > How do you know?
    >
    > In any case, it counters your B.S.

    No it doesn't....

    Linux is nowhere to be found...
    I don't see it in the box.
    I don't see it on the Garmin site.

    >> Did you actually read that page?

    > Of course.
    >
    > Apparently, Garmin actually /published/ its protocol, to allow people to
    > make their own apps.

    Good thing because Garmin doesn't seem interested in providing Linux
    versions of their stock applications.

    > Since the raison d'tre of open-source is to be able to bypass the
    > commercial sector where they do not fulfill their duties to the
    > consumers, this is quite adequate.

    If you as a user don't mind scouring the Internet looking for these things
    and hoping they work with the particular unit you just bought.

    Compared to inserting the DVD and your good to go in 2 minutes or less.

    >> Again a total mess of gobbly goop and probably nowhere near the
    >> functionality of the software that comes with the units.

    > Of course, you don't really know, do you?

    I know what came with my friend's top of the line Nuvi.
    It's quite impressive, although a little pricey IMHO.

    He can do all kinds of stuff with that thing and much of the really good
    stuff is done offline and loaded into the unit.

    >> Who cares?
    >> Geeks?
    >>
    >> Average Joe wants to plan a trip, update his maps and firmware not compile
    >> applications and read some who's who.

    > Irrelevant. Average Joe is already taken care of by his more
    > knowledgeable peers. That's kind of the /point/ of open-source.

    Wrong.
    Any idiot can plug a GPS into the computer, load the DVD, install the
    applications and go to town.

    Compare that to the pages you posted.
    Do they work with Suse?
    How about Mandriva?
    Slackware anyone?

    Sure I suppose the tarball ones probably might.

    You can;t compare the two scenarios at all.

    Fine, if your a Linux geek and you want to use your GPS you MIGHT be able
    to find some Linux stuff to use but it's a crap shoot.
    What happens if this stuff bricks the unit?
    Will Garmin honor the warranty?
    Who knows...
    BTW if this ever happens to anyone, a couple of seconds in a microwave does
    wonders toward rendering electronics useless. Then you just bring it in an
    say "it's broke". etc...

    The Windows/Mac user plugs it in and is done.

    >> You're comparing apples and oranges here, mostly.
    >>
    >> Like I said, the DVD in the box says Windows 2000+ and Mac supported.
    >> Linux?
    >> Good luck

    > Oh well, flatfish, I've already disproven your bull****. Now you're
    > goalpost shifting and tossing in meaningless asides to try to minimize
    > the fact that Garmin encourages Linux (and FreeBSD) support for their
    > hardware, in addition to using Linux (and FreeBSD) code to /create/
    > their device.

    My comment was you can find the Windows and Mac stuff on their site and on
    the DVD and that it's nice that the Garmin unit apparently is Linux driven
    (not substantiated yet, but) however they still don't include Linux
    versions of their software. End user software.
    And that is still a fact.

    >> The best you can hope for is that someone wrote a code fragment to make
    >> some portion of your unit work under Linux.

    > Nope. Hope? Try dealing with actual functionality, rather than trying
    > to paint it as "hope".
    >
    > http://www.maps-gps-info.com/fgpfw.html
    >
    > The trouble with you, Moshe, is that you're not really interested in
    > Linux functionality. All you want to do is discourage potential Linux
    > users, and make it seem as if Windows is the /only/ way to go with
    > software. So your research is /always/ behind.
    >
    > If a function is desired by even one motivated person, it will be
    > provided.
    >
    > Hell, they're even writing Garmin code in /Python/!

    Wonderful
    Package it on a DVD and include it in the box and then your rebuttle will
    be correct.

    One look at most of those pages is more than enough to scare the living
    daylights out of all but the most avid Linux user.

    You have me all wrong. I think it's great that Garmin is opening up their
    interface etc but you can't compare the programs that come with the typical
    unit to what is being done in the Linux community.

    Maybe in time Garmin will offer Linux versions, maybe they even do for
    selected models, I didn't check them all.

    >> Take a look at some of the dates on that stuff as well.
    >> A lot has happened since 2004.

    > How about since 2008?
    >
    > The moral of the story is, if you are feeling a bit trouble with
    > Windows, don't count alternatives out without doing some research.

    I'm not having Windows troubles.
    I leave that to the Linux advocates who always seem to be flumoxxed by
    Windows for some reason

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    > Linux is nowhere to be found...
    > I don't see it in the box.
    > I don't see it on the Garmin site.

    Whatever, dude. You're just being nuts now.

    The bottom line is, your original contention that there's no support for
    Garmin GPS is debunked.

    It may not be as seamless as the "Windows" version, but the fact is
    Garmin uses Linux, and provides resources to the developer community.

    The rest is cavilling.

    --
    Life is a game of bridge -- and you've just been finessed.

  20. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:20:20 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Linux is nowhere to be found...
    >> I don't see it in the box.
    >> I don't see it on the Garmin site.

    > Whatever, dude. You're just being nuts now.
    >
    > The bottom line is, your original contention that there's no support for
    > Garmin GPS is debunked.
    >
    > It may not be as seamless as the "Windows" version, but the fact is
    > Garmin uses Linux, and provides resources to the developer community.
    >
    > The rest is cavilling.

    You can squawk all you want Linonut but anyone who reads the thread will
    see what you are up to.

    First you move the goalposts by talking about the source to the device.
    I never mentioned that.
    I spoke of APPLICATIONS for average Joe to make his unit work.

    EVERY SINGLE GPS SOLD comes with a DVD full of applications.
    I haven't found any Linux based ones on these DVD's.

    Then you provide links to moth eaten junk located in 100 different places,
    mostly targeted at advanced users and Debian users for the most part and
    you try to compare that to what I stated above?

    Come on already....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: