Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine - Linux

This is a discussion on Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine - Linux ; * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo: > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:20:20 -0400, Linonut wrote: >> >> The rest is cavilling. > > You can squawk all you want Linonut but anyone who reads the thread will ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:20:20 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >> The rest is cavilling.

    > You can squawk all you want Linonut but anyone who reads the thread will
    > see what you are up to.

    Yeah, I was trying to show that there /is/ GPS software /for/ the
    Garmin, contrary to what you said.

    > First you move the goalposts by talking about the source to the device.
    > I never mentioned that.
    > I spoke of APPLICATIONS for average Joe to make his unit work.

    I know. I misunderstood. But then followed up with the right stuff.

    > EVERY SINGLE GPS SOLD comes with a DVD full of applications.
    > I haven't found any Linux based ones on these DVD's.

    As I've said, manufacturers generally know they can count on support to
    be written /for/ them. Even when they don't provide adequate
    specifications.

    > Then you provide links to moth eaten junk located in 100 different places,
    > mostly targeted at advanced users and Debian users for the most part and
    > you try to compare that to what I stated above?
    >
    > Come on already....

    What are you talking about? Some of that stuff was easy to install and
    easy to use, not to mention /recent/. Hell, gpsman is in the Debian
    repo.

    It's the same with smart cards, too. They make us use them for work.
    And, of course, they supply Windows drivers and instructions. The Linux
    guys are on their own.

    But so what? A quick Google, and you find the your distro supplies
    packages. /Maybe/ it ends up being a little more difficult to install
    the Smartcard software and install the certificates in Firefox.

    You constantly belabor the fact providing software on a CD makes it easy
    on the average Windows user.

    Yeah, we get it.

    And there are certain people who find that little "hurdle" impossible to
    overcome. Yeah, we get that too.

    Nonetheless, with a little motivation, most functionality can be
    attained.

    That's one part of your tune that never changes: "The vendor doesn't
    provide a CD, so everyone will throw their hands up and stick with
    Windows." No. Not everyone, by any means.

    http://images.mccoveychronicles.com/...tDeadHorse.gif

    --
    Do not use the blue keys on this terminal.

  2. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    Linonut wrote:

    > mentally-ill troll wrote:
    >>
    >> Linux is nowhere to be found...
    >> I don't see it in the box.
    >> I don't see it on the Garmin site.

    >Whatever, dude. You're just being nuts now.
    >
    >The bottom line is, your original contention that there's no support for
    >Garmin GPS is debunked.
    >
    >It may not be as seamless as the "Windows" version, but the fact is
    >Garmin uses Linux, and provides resources to the developer community.
    >
    >The rest is cavilling.

    You'd think that, despite being mentally-ill, the troll would tire of
    shown to be a dishonest twit all the time.

  3. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    chrisv wrote:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> mentally-ill troll wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Linux is nowhere to be found...
    >>> I don't see it in the box.
    >>> I don't see it on the Garmin site.

    >> Whatever, dude. You're just being nuts now.
    >>
    >> The bottom line is, your original contention that there's no support
    >> for Garmin GPS is debunked.
    >>
    >> It may not be as seamless as the "Windows" version, but the fact is
    >> Garmin uses Linux, and provides resources to the developer community.
    >>
    >> The rest is cavilling.

    > You'd think that, despite being mentally-ill, the troll would tire of
    > shown to be a dishonest twit all the time.

    Oh well... but what are you going to do? Linonut has been that way for
    years; you're not going to change him by calling him 'mentally-ill' or a
    'dishonest twit'.

  4. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    > Oh well...

    Ignore the forger.

  5. Re: Garmin Linux based? Re: Ubuntu screwed my machine

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:
    > chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Oh well...

    > Ignore the forger.