Microsoft continues Linux voucher deal - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft continues Linux voucher deal - Linux ; http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top August 20, 2008 (Computerworld) Microsoft Corp., which two years ago agreed to buy and resell $240 million worth of enterprise support subscriptions for Novell Inc.'s SUSE Linux Enterprise Server operating system, will buy and resell up to another $100 ...

  1. Microsoft continues Linux voucher deal

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top

    August 20, 2008 (Computerworld) Microsoft Corp., which two years ago
    agreed to buy and resell $240 million worth of enterprise support
    subscriptions for Novell Inc.'s SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
    operating system, will buy and resell up to another $100 million of
    vouchers, the two companies said today.

    The unusual scenario in which the world's dominant proprietary
    software vendor is helping to market open-source software such as
    Linux began in November 2006, when the two former foes agreed to a
    set of pioneering cross-licensing and interoperability deals, with
    Microsoft admitting that many of its business customers were also
    fans of open-source software.

    . . .

    Meanwhile, Hauser confirmed that some of the subscription vouchers
    were sold to customers for less than face value, though none were
    given away for free.

    http://www.boston.com/business/techn...ith_microsoft/

    Microsoft executives alleged that Linux contained stolen Microsoft
    intellectual property. Linux supporters said the charge was intended
    to scare people away from switching from Microsoft Windows to Linux.

    But in 2006, Microsoft struck a deal with Novell that included
    cross-licensing of intellectual property, so that users of Novell's
    SUSE Linux were protected from legal attack by Microsoft. In
    addition, Microsoft agreed to buy and redistribute SUSE Linux
    licenses worth $240 million over five years and to work with Novell
    to make Windows and Linux work smoothly together.

    Microsoft resold $157 million of Novell's Linux licenses as of April,
    providing a major boost to Novell's revenues. In the second quarter
    of 2008, ended May 28, revenue for Novell's Linux business was up 31
    percent from the previous year.

    "Their billings are up quite a bit," said Al Gillen, an operating
    systems analyst at IDC Corp. in Framingham. "It's been good for
    Novell."

    --
    If the weather is extremely bad, church attendance will be down. If
    the weather is extremely good, church attendance will be down. If the

  2. Re: Microsoft continues Linux voucher deal

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:49:56 -0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > This is not a "voucher deal". It's patent extortion. Hovo-sapient and Steve
    > Ballmer continue to screw up the Free software movement.

    Why?

    The "Free Software Movement" seems to be doing a fine job of screwing
    itself up.

    People like you Roy Schestowitz, are Balmmer's best friend.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Microsoft continues Linux voucher deal

    ____/ Linonut on Wednesday 20 August 2008 11:24 : \____

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top

    > August 20, 2008 (Computerworld) Microsoft Corp., which two years ago
    > agreed to buy and resell $240 million worth of enterprise support
    > subscriptions for Novell Inc.'s SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
    > operating system, will buy and resell up to another $100 million of
    > vouchers, the two companies said today.
    >
    > The unusual scenario in which the world's dominant proprietary
    > software vendor is helping to market open-source software such as
    > Linux began in November 2006, when the two former foes agreed to a
    > set of pioneering cross-licensing and interoperability deals, with
    > Microsoft admitting that many of its business customers were also
    > fans of open-source software.
    >
    > . . .
    >
    > Meanwhile, Hauser confirmed that some of the subscription vouchers
    > were sold to customers for less than face value, though none were
    > given away for free.

    http://www.boston.com/business/techn...ith_microsoft/

    > Microsoft executives alleged that Linux contained stolen Microsoft
    > intellectual property. Linux supporters said the charge was intended
    > to scare people away from switching from Microsoft Windows to Linux.
    >
    > But in 2006, Microsoft struck a deal with Novell that included
    > cross-licensing of intellectual property, so that users of Novell's
    > SUSE Linux were protected from legal attack by Microsoft. In
    > addition, Microsoft agreed to buy and redistribute SUSE Linux
    > licenses worth $240 million over five years and to work with Novell
    > to make Windows and Linux work smoothly together.
    >
    > Microsoft resold $157 million of Novell's Linux licenses as of April,
    > providing a major boost to Novell's revenues. In the second quarter
    > of 2008, ended May 28, revenue for Novell's Linux business was up 31
    > percent from the previous year.
    >
    > "Their billings are up quite a bit," said Al Gillen, an operating
    > systems analyst at IDC Corp. in Framingham. "It's been good for
    > Novell."

    This is not a "voucher deal". It's patent extortion. Hovo-sapient and Steve
    Ballmer continue to screw up the Free software movement.

    “I’ve heard from Novell sales representatives that Microsoft sales executives
    have started calling the Suse Linux Enterprise Server coupons “royalty
    payments”"

    –Matt Asay

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | chmod a-r *.mbox
    run-level 5 Jul 21 12:57 last=S

  4. Re: Microsoft continues Linux voucher deal

    In article <1635103.4JTeGPudm1@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > This is not a "voucher deal". It's patent extortion. Hovo-sapient and Steve
    > Ballmer continue to screw up the Free software movement.

    Could you please tell us what Novell patents you think Microsoft is
    paying for when it buys those vouchers?

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread