[News] Spear-Phishing Tool Becomes Free Software - Linux

  1. [News] Spear-Phishing Tool Becomes Free Software

    Free Spear-Phishing Tool on Tap

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open source tool aimed at penetration testers lets them customize phishing
    | attacks on their organizations
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | “I decided to make this open source,” Perrymon says, so organizations can get
    | see how easy these attacks can be done and to find ways to secure
    | themselves. “There’s no reason for the bad guys” to only have that knowledge
    | and ability, he says.
    `----

    http://www.darkreading.com/document....WT.svl=news2_1

    Recent:

    ICANN Goes .bonkers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For the former, it means that domain names will turn into a kind of
    | protection racket: every so often, somebody will come up with some new
    | domain – things along the lines of .mug, I imagine – that all companies will
    | be invited to sign up for, just to protect their trademarks, you understand.
    |
    | For end-users, the already-confusing system of domains will become utterly
    | impossible to grasp. This means that phishing schemes and
    | generally-fraudulent Web sites will become almost trivially easy to
    | implement. The public simply won't know which domain name to trust, with the
    | result that confidence in e-commerce, and maybe even the entire Web, will
    | collapse.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/commu...=972&blogid=14

    Related:

    Phish fighters floored by DDoS assault

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The latest phase in an ongoing botnet powered onslaught that
    | began on 13 February rendered the site largely inaccessible onM
    | onday (19 February).
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02...stlecops_ddos/

    Microsoft Applies For Patent Telling You If A Website Is On A List Of
    Phishing Sites

    ,----[ Quotebb ]
    | It seems that every few days when new patents are announced there are
    | a few gems from Microsoft. Take, for example, Microsoft's latest
    | patent application on Phishing Detection, Prevention, and Notification...
    | Update: Clarifying that this is simply a patent application, not a
    | granted patent -- but the fact that Microsoft even thinks it's
    | worth applying for such a patent highlights the way the system
    | works these days.
    `----

    http://techdirt.com/articles/20070216/013012.shtml

    IE7's anti-phising scheme worries small business owners

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ...small business owners and corporations are worried that users
    | will leave their sites feeling unsafe, as they are not eligable
    | to smaller businesses.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Spear-Phishing Tool Becomes Free Software

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:54:01 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Free Spear-Phishing Tool on Tap

    Barbarian!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Spear-Phishing Tool Becomes Free Software

    Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:54:01 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Free Spear-Phishing Tool on Tap

    > Barbarian!

    So what is a micoshaft asstroturfing fool like you is trying to say exactly?

    Put this tool and other security tools like backtrack liveCD in your
    organisation and watch the WINDUMMY machines fall over?

    Who is gonna rescue you?

    Linux of course!

    http://www.livecdlist.com
    http://www.distrowatch.com

  4. Re: [News] Spear-Phishing Tool Becomes Free Software

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:07:05 GMT, 7 wrote:

    > Micoshaft asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Moshe Goldfarb
    > wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Department of Marketing:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:54:01 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Free Spear-Phishing Tool on Tap

    >> Barbarian!

    > So what is a micoshaft asstroturfing fool like you is trying to say exactly?
    >
    > Put this tool and other security tools like backtrack liveCD in your
    > organisation and watch the WINDUMMY machines fall over?
    >
    > Who is gonna rescue you?
    >
    > Linux of course!

    Who is going to rescue the poor noob who installs Linux and wipes out his
    entire Windows system?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: