[News] Digital Gadgets Embraces GNU/Linux for Laptops - Linux

  1. [News] Digital Gadgets Embraces GNU/Linux for Laptops

    First Ubuntu Netbook Remix Laptop Appears

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Digital Gadgets, the manufacturer and distributor of SYLVANIA brand
    | computers, announced on August 19th that its shipping the SYLVANIA g netbook
    | MESO with Ubuntu 8.04 Netbook Remix inside.
    `----

    http://practical-tech.com/infrastruc...aptop-appears/
    http://tinyurl.com/5wom5u

    Recent:

    Ubuntu Mobile Edition: Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The mobile Internet device (MID) space is one of the fastest growing
    | platforms with new concept designs appearing every month. Nokia was one of
    | the earliest vendors with a product (Nokia 770) in this space to ship with a
    | Linux operating system (OS) and continues to see solid sales with the current
    | model 810. New concept designs come in a wide range of shapes and sizes, and
    | many sport a Linux OS.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | With my Q1 I purchased the leather case / USB keyboard accessory to make text
    | entry easier. Open Office works just fine under UME, and I was able to enter
    | and edit text using the keyboard with no issues. The USB keyboard also
    | includes an "eraser head" type mouse that works just fine under UME. I did
    | not try to connect a Bluetooth keyboard although this version is supposed to
    | support Bluetooth devices.
    `----

    http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6511/1/

    Open source to 'blow mobiles open'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | McCabe said that the impending release of Google Android would provide
    | a "wonderful catalyst" for the breakdown of proprietary software and hardware
    | bundles from telcos. Other open source handset software includes the recent
    | release of mobile Ubuntu.
    `----

    http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0...9253486,00.htm

    Trying Out Ubuntu's Netbook Remix

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a blog posting this morning by Mark Shuttleworth about Netbook Remix, he
    | mentions Canonical is currently working with two other companies to design
    | more radical user interfaces for their mobile products. Mark also
    | mentioned, "The aim was to do something very simple that could be tested
    | easily, work with touch devices and made shippable very quickly. It also
    | needed to be efficient on lower-power devices, and work well with Intel
    | hardware, which seems to be the preferred platform for this generation of
    | devices and allows us to slip a few nice effects in that would be hard
    | without the right hardware support."
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ok_remix&num=1

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? *

    | to go with that.
    `----

    French police deal blow to Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
    | for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
    | administrations in the world to make the break. *
    `----

    http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...LZ3IeRaIH03x6w

  2. Re: [News] Digital Gadgets Embraces GNU/Linux for Laptops

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:40:21 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > First Ubuntu Netbook Remix Laptop Appears
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Digital Gadgets, the manufacturer and distributor of SYLVANIA brand
    >| computers, announced on August 19th that its shipping the SYLVANIA g netbook
    >| MESO with Ubuntu 8.04 Netbook Remix inside.
    > `----

    Sylvania you say?

    Do they still make that Television with "the works in a drawer"?

    We used to call it "the **** in a drawer" because it was quite a lump
    during those days....

    (Old Timers will surely remember those commercials. Assuming of course you
    didn't have a Sylvania TV because it was probably broken, preventing you
    from watching.)

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: