[News] RealNetworks Wants to Put Blobs on GNU/Linux Laptops - Linux

  1. [News] RealNetworks Wants to Put Blobs on GNU/Linux Laptops

    Streaming media player targets netbooks, nettops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | RealNetworks (Real) says its RealPlayer is available for licensing by OEMs
    | building "netbooks and nettops" that run Linux on Intel's Atom processor.
    | Like the company's earlier release for MIDs (mobile Internet devices),
    | RealPlayer for Intel Atom is integrated with Intel's "Moblin" Linux stack,
    | Real says.
    `----

    http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6...25.html?kc=rss

    Recent:

    CyberLink Sees Opportunities in Netbooks, Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Multimedia software maker CyberLink sees a lot of opportunities in the
    | fast-growing netbook segment of the computer market, from online access
    | to files stored on home PCs to multimedia software made for Linux OSs.
    |
    | Some of the most popular netbooks, or mini-laptops, being launched come with
    | options for far less storage space than mainstream laptops, such as Asustek's
    | Eee PC 1000, Eee PC 901and Acer's Aspire one.
    |
    | Many of them also run on a Linux OS, such as Linpus Linux Lite on the Aspire
    | one and Linux OS by Xandros on the Eee PC. These netbooks can also come with
    | Windows XP instead.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...oks_linux.html

    Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
    | open source rival
    |
    | Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
    | around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
    | sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
    | Press.
    `----

    http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/2993...ed-round-Linux

    Linux preinstalls rocket to three per cent

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is still be shipped with 93 per cent of all PCs sold through
    | distribution in the UK, according to Context.
    |
    | Yet Linux has nevertheless made an impressive gain.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ocket-per-cent

  2. Re: [News] RealNetworks Wants to Put Blobs on GNU/Linux Laptops

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Streaming media player targets netbooks, nettops
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | RealNetworks (Real) says its RealPlayer is available for licensing

    I hate that company for locking up so much of my media files with no
    option other than to use their player which spends most of its
    time promoting its partners and advertisers.

    Now that open source has ogg and theora, I hope everyone just
    plain embraces it and eliminates one of the huge mistakes of media
    which is to lock up multimedia by the back door by
    support of proprietory codecs.

    There has been absolutely no benefit to the public.
    The billions lost by the public in no way compensates
    what the companies have taken for themselves and
    have given nothing back in return - not even to the artists.
    And it has still left the public with a negative balance
    sheet of billions of lost man hours having to convert
    from one format to another for the stuff the public have paid
    but are unable to put to fair use.

    The politicians just suck when it comes to backing
    big media companies. Just what have these companies
    done for the public in terms of the overal balance sheet
    that could not have been done any other way????

    > by
    > | OEMs building "netbooks and nettops" that run Linux on Intel's Atom
    > | processor. Like the company's earlier release for MIDs (mobile Internet
    > | devices), RealPlayer for Intel Atom is integrated with Intel's "Moblin"
    > | Linux stack, Real says.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6...25.html?kc=rss

  3. Re: [News] RealNetworks Wants to Put Blobs on GNU/Linux Laptops

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:00:05 GMT, 7 wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Streaming media player targets netbooks, nettops
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| RealNetworks (Real) says its RealPlayer is available for licensing

    > I hate that company for locking up so much of my media files with no
    > option other than to use their player which spends most of its
    > time promoting its partners and advertisers.

    I must be hallucinating as I finally agree with 7.
    RealNetworks is a crap company and has been for years.
    I won't go near any of their slopware.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: