[News] GNU/Linux Reaches Many Computers from the 'Back Door' - Linux

  1. [News] GNU/Linux Reaches Many Computers from the 'Back Door'

    Will Linux Find its Way Onto Your Computer?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Over on the OStatic blog, we’ve written about Splashtop, which is Linux-based
    | instant-on software found on many of Asus’ systems. Splashtop isn’t the
    | primary OS on systems that use it; instead, it allows users to flip in and
    | out of a Linux-based OS for on-the-fly tasks, when it’s undesirable to wait
    | for a lengthy system boot-up.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | For some observers in the Linux crowd, this application of Linux may seem to
    | ghettoize an OS that they care about, but especially in the case of the Dell
    | laptops, it could make Linux useful for a lot more people. That’s also true
    | of the Linux-based netbooks from Asus, Acer, and others.
    `----

    http://webworkerdaily.com/2008/08/19...your-computer/

    Dell's netbook to carry Ubuntu 'remix' edition

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "The Dell machine might be the first chance we get to see what Canonical has
    | been working on all summer, and it's bound to have a significant impact on
    | the netbook market."
    |
    | Suddenly Dell's soon-to-be-confirmed Eee 'killer' looks very interesting
    | indeed.
    `----

    http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...edition-454264
    http://tinyurl.com/6pzbsu

    Recent:

    Inside Dell's 'BlackTop' laptop Linux OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dell’s new laptops sideline Windows with a fast-boot Linux OS and ARM
    | processor to check email, browse the Web and even sync with Exchange.
    `----

    http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=2804

    The Next Linux You Use Could Be Virtual

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Major players in the laptop computer market go virtual with Linux. HP,
    | Lenovo, and now Dell offer laptops that have a Linux Mode.
    `----

    Dell introduces ten new laptops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On is a flash-based barebones Linux install that gets you up and running, on
    | the Net, and with much of what you need to run the computer in instantly.
    | Dell went to great pains to avoid saying the L-word though, it might anger
    | the very touchy gods atop mount Redmond.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...oduces-laptops

    Are “instant on” notebooks the future?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If I think about my normal notebook usage patterns, I’m pretty sure I could
    | spend a good 80 - 90% of my time in the instant on environment and only boot
    | into Windows when I needed to do something specifically Windows-centric. In
    | fact, given a properly set up Linux distro as the main OS (which should be a
    | snap to set up since these systems would/should already be Linux-compatible
    | because they are running the Linux-based instant on OS ) which would allow me
    | to handle Microsoft Office docs, and a VPN, I could do away with having
    | Windows on the system altogether and simply connect to a secondary
    | Windows-based PC when I wanted that functionality (when on the road I rarely,
    | if ever, need to run anything heavy such as Photoshop).
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2400

    Dell’s comeback machine

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are some surprises beneath the surface of the Latitude line as well.
    | One is an optional Linux-based low-power mode called Dell Latitude On, which
    | boots in two seconds. It offers more than a day’s worth of battery life for
    | basic tasks like web surfing, Exchange e-mail, and viewing e-mail
    | attachments, and runs on an ARM-based (ARMH) chip rather than the main Intel
    | processor. (HP and Lenovo laptops offer similar Linux modes, but with fewer
    | capabilities.)
    `----

    http://bigtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...eback-machine/

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Reaches Many Computers from the 'Back Door'

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:27:08 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Will Linux Find its Way Onto Your Computer?

    The real question should be, will my computer find Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread