We must be in Linux crapware land: change virtual desktops and browser freezes - Linux

This is a discussion on We must be in Linux crapware land: change virtual desktops and browser freezes - Linux ; On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 07:55:23 -0400, Linonut wrote: > * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo: > >> On 2008-08-21, DFS wrote: >>> >>> You might have fun tweaking and poking around Linux for a while, but that >>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: We must be in Linux crapware land: change virtual desktops and browser freezes

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 07:55:23 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On 2008-08-21, DFS wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You might have fun tweaking and poking around Linux for a while, but that
    >>> wears off right away when you find yourself needing that fabulous Windows
    >>> app or game.

    >> Like what? Do tell.

    > For me, if Windows suddenly disappeared, I wouldn't miss it a bit.

    I'd move all my music opertaion to Mac.
    In fact I've been toying with that idea for a while anyway.
    Vista is certainly not in my future in that regard.

    > In fact, I'd cheer. No more dealing with Visual Studio, MS Office, and
    > IBM's ****ing Rational Enterprise Suite.

    So DFS was right, you use Windows tools to earn your paycheck

    >>> I see Linux staying below 3% for another decade at least.

    > In America? It's already apparently above that in consumer desktops
    > abroad.

    In America it's not even close to 3 percent.

    The key to getting Linux into the hands of Joe is the Netbook.
    It will get Joe interested in Linux and from what I am seeing and hearing
    these things are hot!

    However, without support for gadgets like GPS, iPod etc Linux doesn't stand
    a chance.
    And it has to be manufacturer sanctioned support for Joe.
    Not hacking around.
    A DVD in the box, with full intructions and the exact same capability of
    the Windows/Mac version.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: We must be in Linux crapware land: change virtual desktops and browser freezes

    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 07:55:23 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> In fact, I'd cheer. No more dealing with Visual Studio, MS Office, and
    >> IBM's ****ing Rational Enterprise Suite.

    > So DFS was right, you use Windows tools to earn your paycheck

    Indeed. I've never denied it. But Windows tools are only some of the
    tools I use.

    In fact, for most the relatively small amount of time I spend in Windows
    (2000), I run it in a VM on my Linux laptop.

    What DFS misses, in his silly urge to ridicule someone for not liking
    Microsoft and Windows, and yet using it, is this: Until about 2000,
    I was alllllll Windows. Used it for all my programming, all my MIDI
    doing, writing, etc.

    Today? I'm about 90% Linux, when you add it up throughout the whole
    week.

    And there are millions more like me.

    So what happened?

    We found we like Linux /much/ better.

    >> In America? It's already apparently above that in consumer desktops
    >> abroad.

    > In America it's not even close to 3 percent.
    >
    > The key to getting Linux into the hands of Joe is the Netbook.
    > It will get Joe interested in Linux and from what I am seeing and hearing
    > these things are hot!
    >
    > However, without support for gadgets like GPS, iPod etc Linux doesn't stand
    > a chance.
    > And it has to be manufacturer sanctioned support for Joe.
    > Not hacking around.
    > A DVD in the box, with full intructions and the exact same capability of
    > the Windows/Mac version.

    Nah, that would be true of only the lamest of lamers (and they do
    exist). Most people are savvy enough to google around a bit, or ask
    their friends who have already been down that path.

    The only sticky point is getting them interested in Linux in the first
    place. If they're just your average uncaring user, and are not having
    problems with Windows, that's not likely.

    By the way, you sneak in an implication that GPS and iPod above are not
    supported on Linux. That's patently wrong.

    --
    Bare feet magnetize sharp metal objects so they point upward from the
    floor -- especially in the dark.

  3. Re: We must be in Linux crapware land: change virtual desktops and browser freezes

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:41:24 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 07:55:23 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> In fact, I'd cheer. No more dealing with Visual Studio, MS Office, and
    >>> IBM's ****ing Rational Enterprise Suite.

    >> So DFS was right, you use Windows tools to earn your paycheck

    > Indeed. I've never denied it. But Windows tools are only some of the
    > tools I use.
    >
    > In fact, for most the relatively small amount of time I spend in Windows
    > (2000), I run it in a VM on my Linux laptop.
    >
    > What DFS misses, in his silly urge to ridicule someone for not liking
    > Microsoft and Windows, and yet using it, is this: Until about 2000,
    > I was alllllll Windows. Used it for all my programming, all my MIDI
    > doing, writing, etc.
    >
    > Today? I'm about 90% Linux, when you add it up throughout the whole
    > week.
    >
    > And there are millions more like me.
    >
    > So what happened?
    >
    > We found we like Linux /much/ better.

    I think I differ in opinion with DFS on this issue.
    I have no problem with someone like you or Peter or similar using Windows
    and advocating Linux because none of you are really rabid Linux zealots
    macking accusations, expecting others to do what you don't do and so forth.

    That is a far cry from phony, hypocritical people like Schestowitz and Mark
    Kent.
    Mark Kent actually said there is no such thing as IP, yet there is his
    company blasting it forward in their advertising material.
    Both Mark and Roy are on some kind of religious campagin to convert people
    to Linux, slam people who are using Windows but yet when you look closely
    at them you see they are using Windows as well.

    See the difference?

    It's like a guy who makes Wilson Baseball gloves all day long but uses
    Rawlings when he plays because he likes it better.

    Compared to the guy who is in every forum slamming Rawlings, shilling
    Wilson but yet uses Rawlings for his own use.

    There is a difference between the two.

    >>> In America? It's already apparently above that in consumer desktops
    >>> abroad.

    >> In America it's not even close to 3 percent.
    >>
    >> The key to getting Linux into the hands of Joe is the Netbook.
    >> It will get Joe interested in Linux and from what I am seeing and hearing
    >> these things are hot!
    >>
    >> However, without support for gadgets like GPS, iPod etc Linux doesn't stand
    >> a chance.
    >> And it has to be manufacturer sanctioned support for Joe.
    >> Not hacking around.
    >> A DVD in the box, with full intructions and the exact same capability of
    >> the Windows/Mac version.

    > Nah, that would be true of only the lamest of lamers (and they do
    > exist). Most people are savvy enough to google around a bit, or ask
    > their friends who have already been down that path.

    Who are they going to find that runs Linux?

    Things under Windows have gotten very easy.

    Plug the device in and load the DVD.

    > The only sticky point is getting them interested in Linux in the first
    > place. If they're just your average uncaring user, and are not having
    > problems with Windows, that's not likely.

    Netbook is going to help.

    > By the way, you sneak in an implication that GPS and iPod above are not
    > supported on Linux. That's patently wrong.

    I use iPod as a catch phrase for all portable devices.
    Yes most are supported but until that DVD comes in the box and it's fully
    supported, completely, by Linux, Joe is not going to go for it unless he
    has a very specific reason to run Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: We must be in Linux crapware land: change virtual desktops andbrowser freezes

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:17:13 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > The key to getting Linux into the hands of Joe is the Netbook. It will
    > get Joe interested in Linux and from what I am seeing and hearing these
    > things are hot!
    >
    > However, without support for gadgets like GPS, iPod etc Linux doesn't
    > stand a chance.

    There's also the neuros, they just came out with a new one. Of course,
    sometimes they might not be aware that they're running linux (tivo, some
    cell phones) which, while convenient, doesn't help, um "brand" (?) Linux
    with Mr. Pack.

    -Thufir

  5. Re: We must be in Linux crapware land: change virtual desktops and browser freezes

    >> Nah, that would be true of only the lamest of lamers (and they do
    >> exist). Most people are savvy enough to google around a bit, or ask
    >> their friends who have already been down that path.

    > Who are they going to find that runs Linux?

    Just ask around.

    > Things under Windows have gotten very easy.
    > Plug the device in and load the DVD.

    Ugh. Quite often the DVD loads not only necessary drivers, but some
    humongous piece of bloatware that merely provides functionality you
    /already/ have with Windows.

    Those iffy Wifi-Manager applications are a good case in point. Which
    should you use? The vendors, or Microsofts? Sometimes, the vendors
    will take over, so that using the Microsoft dialog you've gotten used to
    gives you a message along the lines of "Use the vendors package". WTF?

    How about HP All-In-One copy/fax/scan Bloatware?

    Those third-party video-settings dialogs that conflict with the normal
    Windows desktop properties dialogs?

    I once loaded HP CD-making software for a portable burner I bought my
    daughter. By default, the burning software that came with it burned
    a non-ISO format that no one else could read.

    It's not /always/ pretty in the Windows world.

    > I use iPod as a catch phrase for all portable devices. Yes most are
    > supported but until that DVD comes in the box and it's fully
    > supported, completely, by Linux, Joe is not going to go for it unless
    > he has a very specific reason to run Linux.

    In which case, the vendor better get on the stick, since he's losing
    sales.

    Say, how about "Windows user proof"?:

    --
    Catproof is an oxymoron, childproof nearly so.

  6. Re: We must be in Linux crapware land: change virtual desktops and browser freezes

    On 2008-08-21, Linonut wrote:
    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> Nah, that would be true of only the lamest of lamers (and they do
    >>> exist). Most people are savvy enough to google around a bit, or ask
    >>> their friends who have already been down that path.

    >> Who are they going to find that runs Linux?

    > Just ask around.
    >
    >> Things under Windows have gotten very easy.
    >> Plug the device in and load the DVD.

    > Ugh. Quite often the DVD loads not only necessary drivers, but some
    > humongous piece of bloatware that merely provides functionality you
    > /already/ have with Windows.
    >
    > Those iffy Wifi-Manager applications are a good case in point. Which
    > should you use? The vendors, or Microsofts? Sometimes, the vendors
    > will take over, so that using the Microsoft dialog you've gotten used to
    > gives you a message along the lines of "Use the vendors package". WTF?
    >
    > How about HP All-In-One copy/fax/scan Bloatware?
    >
    > Those third-party video-settings dialogs that conflict with the normal
    > Windows desktop properties dialogs?
    >
    > I once loaded HP CD-making software for a portable burner I bought my
    > daughter. By default, the burning software that came with it burned
    > a non-ISO format that no one else could read.

    That's incredibly lame.

    Vista burns coasters. The wife had to use iTunes to get a good burn.

    > It's not /always/ pretty in the Windows world.
    >
    >> I use iPod as a catch phrase for all portable devices. Yes most are
    >> supported but until that DVD comes in the box and it's fully
    >> supported, completely, by Linux, Joe is not going to go for it unless
    >> he has a very specific reason to run Linux.

    Any "ipod" that requires "futzing" by the end user before it is fully
    supported will be permanently crippled. That's rather the whole big
    lession of Apple's success.

    They get the "it just works" part right where no one else seems to.

    Other vendors are far better of making their device generic and allow
    other people to create the management apps.

    > In which case, the vendor better get on the stick, since he's losing
    > sales.
    >
    > Say, how about "Windows user proof"?:

    Ultimately simplicity is best, as are open standards.

    --

    It is not true that Microsoft doesn't innovate.

    They brought us the email virus.

    In my Atari days, such a notion would have |||
    been considered a complete absurdity. / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2