[News] Major Plasma Additions to KDE4, Special Effects - Linux

  1. Re: [News] Major Plasma Additions to KDE4, Special Effects

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:11:00 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > KDE Commit Digest: 3rd August 2008
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The Plasma "extenders" project is merged into kdebase, with initial
    >| integration into the kuiserver applet. Continued work on the
    >| systray-refactor, and more work on the "Weather" Plasmoid. A whole load of
    >| bugfixes for Kicker 3.5.10. A new "Magic Lamp" minimize effect, and a rework
    >| of the "Grid" effect in kwin-composite. Support for extracting artwork from
    >| iPod's, tag editing and removing files from MTP devices, and scriptable
    >| services (including a "web control" script), and lots of other developments
    >| in Amarok 2.0.

    Have they fixed the freezing problems yet?
    Has Amarok's horrid interface been re-worked?
    How about playlist manipulation?

    Oh, I see more Linux eye candy.
    Wonderful.
    Just what the Linux world needs.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. [News] Major Plasma Additions to KDE4, Special Effects

    KDE Commit Digest: 3rd August 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Plasma "extenders" project is merged into kdebase, with initial
    | integration into the kuiserver applet. Continued work on the
    | systray-refactor, and more work on the "Weather" Plasmoid. A whole load of
    | bugfixes for Kicker 3.5.10. A new "Magic Lamp" minimize effect, and a rework
    | of the "Grid" effect in kwin-composite. Support for extracting artwork from
    | iPod's, tag editing and removing files from MTP devices, and scriptable
    | services (including a "web control" script), and lots of other developments
    | in Amarok 2.0.
    `----

    http://commit-digest.org/issues/2008-08-03/

    Configuring the Plasma Panel

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One area that could use improvements in documentation is configuring panels
    | in Plasma. Sebas did a good job but he only dedicated one paragraph to it in
    | the documentation and it didn't have any pretty pictures. Most people react
    | to visuals more so I decided to supplement the documentation.
    `----

    http://rbitanga.blogspot.com/2008/08...sma-panel.html

    Recent:

    Proof of concept: Google Gadgets on Plasma

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now this list was extended by a new set of widgets: the Google Gadgets. The
    | following screenshot shows that Google Gadgets can be run on Plasma...
    `----

    http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/0...ets-on-plasma/

    Converting any window into plasmoid

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Despite all current limitation, I think this approach still has its own
    | use-cases, for example when you want quick access to some of your
    | applications from Dashboard (for example Konsole) or if you want something
    | not-yet-available as plasmoid on your desktop (for example video player,
    | advanced calculator, web-browser with your webmail, a game from kdegames,
    | googleearth, ...).
    `----

    http://ksvladimir.blogspot.com/2008/...-plasmoid.html

    KDE’s Plasma Project aims to find out who their users really are

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Plasma is KDE’s way of making the ‘desktop’ a better user experience by
    | letting users decide what ’shape’ it is. I think that KDE wants to empower
    | its users by making the panel, the desktop and other components customizable
    | in so many ways and yet make them work together seamlessly. The concept is
    | quite different from the usual desktop because you will have plasmoids and
    | stuff which you can tweak so that they will behave according to what you
    | prefer. * * *
    `----

    http://www.newlinuxuser.com/kdes-pla...rs-really-are/

    Amarok 2 Alpha - An Early Look at What's Going On

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Currently, it's very obvious Amarok 2 is in the alpha phase. The major thing
    | that changed is the interface, which looks nicer and more modern now, with
    | the collection browser located in the left and the playlist itself located to
    | the right side of Amarok's window.
    `----

    http://vivapinkfloyd.blogspot.com/20...-at-whats.html

    The Power of Plasma theming - a gallery of 23 themes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the most often mentioned concerns at the KDE booth at LinuxTag was the
    | question if Plasma would force the user to have a black panel. While we did
    | have a second machine showing another theme to resolve all doubts it showed
    | that not all users now yet the power of Plasma theming.
    `----

    http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/0...-of-23-themes/

    Your Rough Guide to Plasma.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So I've chosen to become Shane's Personal Plasma Steward. This in turn makes
    | me much more aware of things, that I personally take for granted which aren't
    | so natural (yet) to others. One of those things is "How does this thing
    | work?" (for "plasma" as value of thing). Let me explain on a high level how
    | you can use Plasma and make the most of it, starting with a default Plasma
    | desktop.
    `----

    http://vizzzion.org/?blogentry=817

    on the recent libplasma changes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So if you are concerned about the recent changes made impacting stability, I
    | thank you for your concern and empathize with how one could arrive at such a
    | conclusion. Thankfully, these changes have been made specifically to answer
    | your concerns, as well as mine, about stability and feature completeness both
    | in 4.1 and beyond. * *
    `----

    http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/o...a-changes.html

    .... on scripting

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The solution? Well, I don't know if there is just one solution per say, but
    | here's mine: we're going to have two different kinds of APIs. One for ninjas.
    | One for myspacers. Plasma's design allows for that, even using the same
    | programming language for both since we differentiate based on target API not
    | implementation language. As a neat side effect, it turns out that the
    | myspacer style API is also a hell of a lot easier to secure.
    |
    | So there you have it: my very long winded explanation for why there will be
    | multiple scripting APIs in plasma. It all starts with the question of who our
    | audience is and the moves on to how to stand a chance of capturing them.
    `----

    http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/on-scripting.html

  3. Re: [News] Major Plasma Additions to KDE4, Special Effects

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:11:00 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > KDE Commit Digest: 3rd August 2008
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The Plasma "extenders" project is merged into kdebase, with initial |
    > integration into the kuiserver applet. Continued work on the |
    > systray-refactor, and more work on the "Weather" Plasmoid. A whole load
    > of | bugfixes for Kicker 3.5.10. A new "Magic Lamp" minimize effect, and
    > a rework | of the "Grid" effect in kwin-composite. Support for
    > extracting artwork from | iPod's, tag editing and removing files from
    > MTP devices, and scriptable | services (including a "web control"
    > script), and lots of other developments | in Amarok 2.0.
    > `----
    >
    > http://commit-digest.org/issues/2008-08-03/
    >
    > Configuring the Plasma Panel

    .....or not, as the case may be. KDE 4 is going the wrong way!
    Has anyone bothered to tell the developers that although quite attractive
    for some, thousands of XP and Vista users turn off (or try to) the eye-candy
    because of visual impairment or other accessibility requirements.
    Last time I looked at the wife's machine (Kubuntu KDE 4.1) I could find no
    way of turning off the visual effects. Wrong way to go!

    If developers continue to develop a desktop where large sections of potential
    users cannot use their offerings, then this means that /all/ KDE 4x distros
    cannot be used by visually impaired people, eventually leaving Gnome to
    fulfil their needs. This verges on discrimination IMO.

    As an aside Roy, your post shows up here with a time-stamp of 10.11PM.
    Moshe posted a reply, timed at 9.24PM
    How can this be?

    All the best,

    Tony(UK)

  4. Re: [News] Major Plasma Additions to KDE4, Special Effects

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 05:31:26 GMT, Tony(UK) wrote:

    > On Tue, 19> As an aside Roy, your post shows up here with a time-stamp of 10.11PM.
    > Moshe posted a reply, timed at 9.24PM
    > How can this be?
    >
    > All the best,
    >
    > Tony(UK)

    Schestowitz has been playing that game for some time now.
    He has been told about his clock being off but refuses to fix it.

    WRT to your other post, I would have thought green would be the color of
    choice for vision impaired?
    I learn something new every day..

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: [News] Major Plasma Additions to KDE4, Special Effects

    < snip >

    Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:16:45 +0000

    This is the date/time your newsreader thinks it has

    This is the real one

    Your posts show up a little in the future
    --
    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

  6. Re: [News] Major Plasma Additions to KDE4, Special Effects

    ____/ Tony(UK) on Wednesday 20 August 2008 05:31 : \____

    > On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:11:00 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

  7. Re: [News] Major Plasma Additions to KDE4, Special Effects

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:16:45 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Tony(UK) on Wednesday 20 August 2008 05:31 : \____
    >
    >> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:11:00 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> KDE Commit Digest: 3rd August 2008
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> | The Plasma "extenders" project is merged into kdebase, with initial |
    >>> integration into the kuiserver applet. Continued work on the |
    >>> systray-refactor, and more work on the "Weather" Plasmoid. A whole load
    >>> of | bugfixes for Kicker 3.5.10. A new "Magic Lamp" minimize effect, and
    >>> a rework | of the "Grid" effect in kwin-composite. Support for
    >>> extracting artwork from | iPod's, tag editing and removing files from
    >>> MTP devices, and scriptable | services (including a "web control"
    >>> script), and lots of other developments | in Amarok 2.0.
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://commit-digest.org/issues/2008-08-03/
    >>>
    >>> Configuring the Plasma Panel

    >> ....or not, as the case may be. KDE 4 is going the wrong way!
    >> Has anyone bothered to tell the developers that although quite attractive
    >> for some, thousands of XP and Vista users turn off (or try to) the eye-candy
    >> because of visual impairment or other accessibility requirements.
    >> Last time I looked at the wife's machine (Kubuntu KDE 4.1) I could find no
    >> way of turning off the visual effects. Wrong way to go!
    >>
    >> If developers continue to develop a desktop where large sections of potential
    >> users cannot use their offerings, then this means that /all/ KDE 4x distros
    >> cannot be used by visually impaired people, eventually leaving Gnome to
    >> fulfil their needs. This verges on discrimination IMO.
    >>
    >> As an aside Roy, your post shows up here with a time-stamp of 10.11PM.
    >> Moshe posted a reply, timed at 9.24PM
    >> How can this be?

    > My clock is set correctly and timezone set to GMT (+0:00). I don't know what's
    > causing this (I see my posts showing at the correct time over here), but I'll
    > check. Maybe it's the server that relays posts whose clock is misaligned...

    Yea....
    Better give Mark Kent a call so he can ask the ISP you are sponging off of
    what's up.

    Another violation of a TOS...

    There seems to be a pattern with violating TOS and you Roy Schestowitz.

    Coincidence?

    Doubtful.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: [News] Major Plasma Additions to KDE4, Special Effects

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:35:31 +0200, Peter Khlmann wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > < snip >
    >
    >>> As an aside Roy, your post shows up here with a time-stamp of 10.11PM.
    >>> Moshe posted a reply, timed at 9.24PM
    >>> How can this be?

    >> My clock is set correctly and timezone set to GMT (+0:00). I don't know
    >> what's causing this (I see my posts showing at the correct time over
    >> here), but I'll check. Maybe it's the server that relays posts whose clock
    >> is misaligned...
    >>

    > Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:16:45 +0000
    >
    > This is the date/time your newsreader thinks it has

    > This is the real one
    >
    > Your posts show up a little in the future

    Roy Schestowitz has 10+ years in University and he still can't set a clock
    correctly.

    What a total boob.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb