Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

  1. Re: A Third of Vista PCs Downgraded to XP

    On 2008-08-20, Linonut claimed:

    > So why are they here then? Why do they bother with what they want you
    > to think is an operating system so insignificant that you should not
    > bother using it?

    2 UNDENIABLE TRUTHS ABOUT WINTROLLS:

    1. Windows-using trolls lie.

    2. See 1.

    I can honestly say I've never seen or read a windummie that doesn't
    lie. They might have a random post that has some grain of truth, or one
    that is 100% true once in awhile. But most of their posts are lies, in
    fact, in inference or by intentionally omitting facts that undermine
    their falsehoods.

    You can bet if they say linux is .04% (or whatever the statistic du
    jour is), you can bet that the number isn't even close.

    You can bet if they say MS has nothing to worry about, they know MS is
    worried for good cause.

    You can bet if they say linux is unimportant in the world, they'll
    stick around to make that claim in the hopes somebody will believe it.

    You can bet if they say nobody gets paid to troll, they know, know of,
    or are someone that gets paid to troll.

    --
    Any dimwit can run Windows Vista or XP. And they usually do.

  2. Re: [News] A Third of Vista PCs Downgraded to XP

    On 2008-08-20, Linonut claimed:
    > * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Bet you haven't even installed Vista and used it.

    > Why would he? Based on what's being said about it in the trade rags?

    I only had to run it long enough to make a backup (3.5 hours of Vista
    chugging along and wasting time before the backup could be started, .5
    hours to do the backup) to know I wouldn't touch it on purpose again.

    --
    VISTA: Very Irritating System, Try Alternatives

  3. Re: A Third of Vista PCs Downgraded to XP

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:16:55 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> So why are they here then? Why do they bother with what they want you
    >> to think is an operating system so insignificant that you should not
    >> bother using it?

    > They're just losers with nothing else to do. Especially Snit - his
    > supposed "business" isn't enough to keep him busy, obviously... he posts
    > here practically around the clock.

    Yeah, Michael Snit Glasser's so bored, he's resurrected a *two* year old
    thread! The Prescott Computer Guy's "business" *must* be trolling
    newsgroups 24/7, because according to replies I see, he's never away.

    --
    ɐ ɯoɹɟ ʇuǝs sɐʍ ǝƃɐssǝɯ sıɥʇ
    pǝǝʇuɐɹɐnƃ sı ɥɔıɥʍ ɹǝʇndɯoɔ

  4. Re: [News] A Third of Vista PCs Downgraded to XP

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:35:20 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 00:34:14 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bet you haven't even installed Vista and used it.

    >> I'm not a big fan of Vista because I really don't see a need to switch.
    >> However, the gateway laptop my daughter purchased came with it installed
    >> and she has no troubles with Vista or MSoffice 2007.

    > How do her "legal apps" work? Heh heh.

    No problems so far...
    The orientation DVD they handed out ran fine.
    Won't run under Linux as it has a loader program which is Windows and Mac.

    Powerpoint stuff runs fine.

    The links to the various programs she needed for class all run fine.

    My only complaint is that the stock Gateway load is chock full of Symantec
    trialware.

    Other than that, Gateway does a much better job IMHO than Dell.
    A first run Wizard sets the entire thing up, connects, downloads patches
    etc.
    They even have a program to image the hdisk, including user programs and
    data.
    OS restore DVD comes with the unit.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: [News] A Third of Vista PCs Downgraded to XP

    "Moshe Goldfarb." schreef in bericht
    news:1uvip5zd6l23a$.1lgaz9lhl3us4$.dlg@40tude.net. ..
    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:35:20 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> I'm not a big fan of Vista because I really don't see a need to switch.
    >>> However, the gateway laptop my daughter purchased came with it installed
    >>> and she has no troubles with Vista or MSoffice 2007.

    >> How do her "legal apps" work? Heh heh.

    > No problems so far...
    > The orientation DVD they handed out ran fine.
    > Won't run under Linux as it has a loader program which is Windows and Mac.
    >
    > Powerpoint stuff runs fine.
    >
    > The links to the various programs she needed for class all run fine.
    >
    > My only complaint is that the stock Gateway load is chock full of Symantec
    > trialware.

    O dear, that's almost impossible to uninstall without using this:
    http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039
    HTH

    > Other than that, Gateway does a much better job IMHO than Dell.
    > A first run Wizard sets the entire thing up, connects, downloads patches
    > etc.
    > They even have a program to image the hdisk, including user programs and
    > data.
    > OS restore DVD comes with the unit.

  6. Re: [News] A Third of Vista PCs Downgraded to XP

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:32:26 +0200, Clogwog wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." schreef in bericht
    > news:1uvip5zd6l23a$.1lgaz9lhl3us4$.dlg@40tude.net. ..
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:35:20 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> How do her "legal apps" work? Heh heh.

    >> No problems so far...
    >> The orientation DVD they handed out ran fine.
    >> Won't run under Linux as it has a loader program which is Windows and Mac.
    >>
    >> Powerpoint stuff runs fine.
    >>
    >> The links to the various programs she needed for class all run fine.
    >>
    >> My only complaint is that the stock Gateway load is chock full of Symantec
    >> trialware.

    > O dear, that's almost impossible to uninstall without using this:
    > http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039
    > HTH

    Thanks for the link!
    That's exactly what I was looking for.
    And yes, it's extremely difficult to fully get Symantec off a system.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: A Third of Vista PCs Downgraded to XP

    On 2008-08-20, Tattoo Vampire claimed:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> So why are they here then? Why do they bother with what they want you
    >> to think is an operating system so insignificant that you should not
    >> bother using it?

    > They're just losers with nothing else to do. Especially Snit - his supposed
    > "business" isn't enough to keep him busy, obviously... he posts here
    > practically around the clock.

    He's probably living on the $850/month the gummint gives to lunatics
    and terminally lazy bums (plus the 3% who receive and actually need
    it).

    --
    If at first you don't succeed, you must be using Windows.

  8. Re: [News] A Third of Vista PCs Downgraded to XP

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:59:36 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> My only complaint is that the stock Gateway load is chock full of
    >>> Symantec trialware.

    >> O dear, that's almost impossible to uninstall without using this:
    >> http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039
    >> HTH
    >>

    > Thanks for the link!
    > That's exactly what I was looking for. And yes, it's extremely difficult
    > to fully get Symantec off a system.

    Why don't they just include their uninstaller so that it runs from add/remove programs?

    mcafee does the same thing.

    -Thufir

  9. Re: [News] A Third of Vista PCs Downgraded to XP

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Wed, 20 Aug 2008 07:34:29 -0400
    :
    > * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >>> And Microsoft gets paid twice per unit. Doesn't this
    >>> worry anyone else? Smells like bait and switch to me...
    >>>
    >>> Bait: Windows.
    >>> Offered: Vista crap.
    >>> Eventually bought: XP, which is at least more solid, more
    >>> dependable crap.

    >> You sound like a parrot on Gidget's shoulder.
    >>
    >> Bet you haven't even installed Vista and used it.

    > Why would he? Based on what's being said about it in the trade rags?

    There are two reasons I'm not using Vista; the above is
    one of them (more or less). The other is that none of
    my equipment is currently capable of running it with full
    Aero, though in theory I could try to install a Vista on
    my nx9010 laptop or my Athlon, if I can be bothered to give
    it the requisite amount of disk space, and use it non-Aero.

    Microsoft-recommended system requirements
    (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...rements.aspx):

    Home Basic:

    1 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB drive, DirectX 9, DVDROM,
    Audio, NIC, ISP

    Home Premium, Business, Ultimate:

    1 GBz processor, 1 GB RAM, 25 GB storage + 15 GB freespace,
    DirectX 9 w/WDDM, 128 MB GPURAM, hardware Pixel Shader 2.0,
    32 bits/pel, DVDROM, Audio, NIC, ISP

    And now my known functional systems:

    Pentium III.
    400 MHz. 320 MB RAM. Lots of disk space. RAGE128.
    No CD ROM. NIC. No valid Windows license.

    Kayak.
    833 MHz Pentium IV, dual-capable but I've had no
    luck finding another processor. 256 MB RAM. ATI or
    nVidia card w/maybe 64 MB. CD ROM, no DVD. NIC.
    Win98 license. Freezes on occasion.

    Athlon.
    1.7 GHz, 512 MB RAM. 140 GB. nVidia w/maybe 64 MB.
    CD burner/DVD reader. Built-in audio. NIC. No valid
    license.

    Laptop.
    2.8 GHz, 1 GB, 160 GB, ATi integrated "RAMstealer"
    (IGP 340M) with maybe 64 or 128 MB. DVD reader.
    Built-in audio. NIC. XP license. Minor video issues.

    I have some other systems of even older vintage,
    but seriously running Vista on them would verge on
    the ridiculous. (One of them is packed in my closet,
    and is a 4 MB 386/20 mobo. I've not fired it up lately
    but it did run an older version of Debian at one point.
    I also have another 400 MHz and a couple of 266 MHz units,
    one of which I scavenged for RAM so running it is out of
    the question anyway.)

    I am hoping someone can give me a compelling reason to
    install Vista on a desktop but apart from Halo 3 I can't
    think of one, and if that game is the only reason to buy
    Windows Vista I'll pass, thank you.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "Woman? What woman?"

  10. Re: [News] A Third of Vista PCs Downgraded to XP

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 23:34:00 GMT, thufir wrote:

    >>> O dear, that's almost impossible to uninstall without using this:
    >>> http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039
    >>> HTH
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the link!
    >> That's exactly what I was looking for. And yes, it's extremely difficult
    >> to fully get Symantec off a system.

    > Why don't they just include their uninstaller so that it runs from add/remove programs?
    >
    > mcafee does the same thing.
    >

    > -Thufir

    They do.
    It sucks.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: [News] A Third of Vista PCs Downgraded to XP

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
    > I am hoping someone can give me a compelling reason to
    > install Vista on a desktop but apart from Halo 3 I can't
    > think of one, and if that game is the only reason to buy
    > Windows Vista I'll pass, thank you.

    I'd get a Mac before I'd get a Vista. I'd actually prefer a non-Intel
    processor, though, for a change, and to extend my code to a third
    platform.

    --
    "I've seen it. It's rubbish."
    -- Marvin the Paranoid Android

  12. Re: [News] A Third of Vista PCs Downgraded to XP

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:27:41 -0400
    <%C2rk.13146$rD2.10686@bignews4.bellsouth.net>:
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut
    >> I am hoping someone can give me a compelling reason to
    >> install Vista on a desktop but apart from Halo 3 I can't
    >> think of one, and if that game is the only reason to buy
    >> Windows Vista I'll pass, thank you.

    > I'd get a Mac before I'd get a Vista. I'd actually prefer a non-Intel
    > processor, though, for a change, and to extend my code to a third
    > platform.

    Pedant Point: Apples and, um, oranges. ;-) But Apples
    apparently now come in EFI x86 varieties as well, just to
    make things interesting.

    At least the 386 was bearable because of the 32-bit flat address space.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: No such file or directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2