[News] Skype Blob on GNU/Linux Goes Insane - Linux

  1. [News] Skype Blob on GNU/Linux Goes Insane

    Strange Skype Network Activity - Even on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I have a few contacts with whom I still chat on Skype, so I still start it
    | from time to time. Yesterday I started it in the morning, and then got
    | distracted and forgot to stop it when the person I was looking for was not
    | around (at least according to Skype's totally unreliable presence reporting).
    | When I went back upstairs in the evening, I noticed the that the 5GHz LED and
    | the Internet LED on my shiny new Netgear WNDR 3300 Wireless Router were
    | blinking like crazy, and I really mean like crazy. I knew that there
    | shouldn't be anything happening on my home network at that time, so I started
    | investigating.
    `----

    http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...498448b,00.htm

    Recent:

    Skype won't say if it decrypts VoIP calls

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | To allay fears that the calls might not be secure from law enforcement, Skype
    | should open its platform to evaluation by trusted, credible industry experts,
    | he says.
    |
    | Endler says it's equally difficult to know whether commercial VoIP vendors
    | leave open the possibility of turning encryption keys over to law
    | enforcement.
    |
    | In the United States, the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act
    | (CALEA) forbids requiring that vendors build in back-door decryption, says
    | Jim Dempsey, vice president for public policy at the Center for Democracy &
    | Technology. "CALEA expressly forbids requiring anyone to be able to decrypt
    | anything," he says.
    `----

    Backdoor in Skype? We need an open-source replacement

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Deliberate or just flawed?
    |
    | So, assuming for a moment that the claim of the Austrian police is correct,
    | there are two possibilities now: (a) Either Skype made a mistake somewhere in
    | the implementation of their encryption algorithms and thus allowed a
    | successful attack on their protocols. Or (b) they have deliberately provided
    | a backdoor for law enforcement or other agencies.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | And of course, Skype is ubiquituous. If you want to talk to people, you need
    | to use what they are using. And everyone is using Skype.
    `----

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/5472

    Speculation over back door in Skype

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to reports, there may be a back door built into Skype, which allows
    | connections to be bugged. The company has declined to expressly deny the
    | allegations. At a meeting with representatives of ISPs and the Austrian
    | regulator on lawful interception of IP based services held on 25th June,
    | high-ranking officials at the Austrian interior ministry revealed that it is
    | not a problem for them to listen in on Skype conversations.
    `----

    http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/S...Skype--/111170

    Open Source Skype Scuppered

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | First, obviously, that such a flaw should be built in is bad. It weakens the
    | product - crackers of the world are doubtless firing up their Skype programs
    | even as I write - and suggests an extremely patronising attitude to users.
    | But I think there's another, less obvious, problem with this revelation.
    |
    | For some time, people have been talking about getting Skype to go open
    | source: you can now forget that.
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...scuppered.html

    Compressed VoIP leaves eavesdropping clues

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Eavesdroppers might be able to gain clues about the content of encrypted
    | conversations even without breaking the cryptography.
    |
    | VoIP services such as Skype encrypt conversations but law enforcement
    | agencies, most notably in Germany, have complained this can hinder law
    | enforcement investigations.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...ffic_analysis/

    Pirate Bay bitchslaps Swedish law with SSL

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Pirate Bay plans to offer encryption services to people who use the
    | BitTorrent tracker site in a direct attempt to combat a new controversial
    | snoop law passed in Sweden last week.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...irate_bay_ssl/

    Why are European governments able to do more for less when it comes to National
    Security?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Fon has to comply with RIPA an act so strict that makes the Patriot act look
    | simple. Fon has to provide special VPN tunneling technology in the UK for the
    | UK secret services to investigate suspected criminals and terrorists when
    | they log on to our WiFi signal. But this is not of course only Fon. Every UK
    | ISP from BT down, Carphone Warehouse, Virgin, Sky, all have to provide this
    | capability to the UK government.
    `----

    http://english.martinvarsavsky.net/g...-security.html

    Skype: We can't comply with police wiretap requests

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There's no guarantee that Skype's AES encryption is implemented properly or
    | that there aren't lingering security flaws. A 2006 presentation at the
    | BlackHat Europe conference in March said the right algorithms were being
    | used, but that there's "no way" to know if a backdoor for eavesdropping
    | exists. A Skype-commissioned independent evaluation, however, gave it a
    | thumbs-up.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9963028-38.html

    Related:

    Beware of Skype

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Skype network has been a concern of government intelligence agencies
    | since its inception because it provides a worldwide network of encrypted VoIP
    | calls to potential “terrorists”. So how coincidental is it that 10 days after
    | Bush signs into law a Bill giving the government authority to track foreign
    | calls that go through U.S. networks that Skype, for the first time in its
    | existence, undergoes a massive worldwide outage?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | But there are FOSS alternatives to Skype people really should start
    | considering now. One is the OpenWengo Project. Businesses, and even
    | individuals, should also consider setting up their own Asterisk servers with
    | encryption.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/2479

    Why proprietary code is bad for security

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Tho Skype is using an encrypted protocol, it’s still their own, non-disclosed
    | code and property. So we don’t know what it contains.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | It’s time to stop accepting that we are the bad guys, and to stop consuming
    | things we just don’t understand (and cannot, because they are proprietary,
    | closed-source systems).
    |
    | Say no to companies, or even governments who treat you like this. Start using
    | open sourced products and protocols wherever you can. Even if you could
    | still never understand the code used in these systems, there are still lots
    | of people who can, and who will examine it. The magic word here is “peer
    | review” - your friend or buddy or neighbour may be able to understand all
    | that, and to help. No, not with Skype or Windows or any black box from Cisco.
    `----

    http://wolfgang.lonien.de/?p=394

    Cryptome: NSA has access to Windows Mobile smartphones

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | First time in history Cryptome.org has released information about the
    | characteristics of NSA’s network surveillance.
    `----

    http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1028

    Dual_EC_DRBG Added to Windows Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has added the random-number generator Dual_EC-DRBG to Windows
    | Vista, as part of SP1. Yes, this is the same RNG that could have an NSA
    | backdoor. *
    |
    | It's not enabled by default, and my advice is to never enable it. Ever.
    `----

    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...c_drbg_ad.html

  2. Re: [News] Skype Blob on GNU/Linux Goes Insane

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Strange Skype Network Activity - Even on Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| I have a few contacts with whom I still chat on Skype, so I still start it
    >| from time to time. Yesterday I started it in the morning, and then got
    >| distracted and forgot to stop it when the person I was looking for was not
    >| around (at least according to Skype's totally unreliable presence reporting).
    >| When I went back upstairs in the evening, I noticed the that the 5GHz LED and
    >| the Internet LED on my shiny new Netgear WNDR 3300 Wireless Router were
    >| blinking like crazy, and I really mean like crazy. I knew that there
    >| shouldn't be anything happening on my home network at that time, so I started
    >| investigating.
    > `----
    >
    > http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...498448b,00.htm

    Skype creates supernodes where it wants to. You, the customer, have no
    choice in the matter.

  3. Re: [News] Skype Blob on GNU/Linux Goes Insane

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:04:25 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Roy Sch> Skype creates supernodes where it wants to. You, the customer, have no
    > choice in the matter.

    Sure you do.
    Stop whining and take your business elsewhere.

    Jeeez what a bunch of cry babies you Linux loons are.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread