[News] Gordon Brown's Office is Violating Free/Open Source Laws - Linux

  1. [News] Gordon Brown's Office is Violating Free/Open Source Laws

    UK government stole website theme

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | NUMBER 10, the UK Prime Minister's website, is apparently built using a
    | design it nicked.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-stole-website

    Number 10 and the Creative Commons

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I can only assume that Number 10 have requested, and received, permission of
    | the author to remove all traces of this license and attribution from their
    | Wordpress site. I have left a “contact us message” at the author’s website to
    | see if this is the case…
    |
    | [Update] Anthony Baggett, the theme’s author, has just confirmed that No 10
    | have not requested that the attribution be removed. That’s not playing fair
    | by my book.
    `----

    http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008...ative-commons/

    More on Number 10’s website fiasco

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The original stylesheet4 is 612 lines in length and is 9234 bytes in size
    | (9KB).
    |
    | The modified stylesheet5 is 3826 lines long and weighs in at a frankly
    | astonishing 63724 bytes (63KB)!
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | “If” the developers have modified the Wordpress engine, as is being suggested
    | as a possibility here, and then sold it to the Government, in my humble
    | understanding that means they have distributed their modifications. That
    | means those modifications must also be licensed under the GPL. I had a quick
    | look on New Media Maze’s web site and couldn’t find an area for software
    | downloads or mention of the GPL. That doesn’t say anything to be honest and
    | there might be nothing to this, but it would be interesting to find out a bit
    | more… Is there a real Wordpress guru who can look at the “footprint” of the
    | XHTML the site generates and tell if it is different? Or are there any other
    | ways to tell if it has been modified?
    |
    | Anyway, what a wheez this all is for us bloggers: It just isn’t Gordon’s year
    | is it…
    `----

    http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008...-on-number-10/

    RMS on Copyrights:

    http://www.scms.waikato.ac.nz/docs/p...e_DL_Flyer.pdf

    Yesterday:

    US presidential candidate is a pirate

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | THE PRESUMED Republican US presidential candidate John McCain favours
    | draconian copyright enforcement, except when his own election campaign uses
    | other people's music.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...tial-candidate

    The Brampton Factor: Analysts fail on open source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For open source software to achieve its full potential, people's perceptions
    | must change. Yet how can that happen when open source is so woefully
    | neglected by analysts, asks Martin Brampton.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | This gap leaves an opening for analysts, who should be relatively neutral
    | about the success or failure of products or vendors, to stand back and form a
    | view of the trends.
    `----

    http://management.silicon.com/itpro/...9272474,00.htm

    Related:

    Lawmaker blasts U.K. government on Microsoft policy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "A member of Parliament of the United Kingdom has launched a stinging
    | attack on the U.K. government's IT strategy, saying that it has given
    | Microsoft too much control.
    |
    | John Pugh, who is a member of Parliament, or MP, for Southport and a
    | member of the Public Accounts Committee, was speaking in an
    | adjournment debate on Tuesday that he had called. The aim of the
    | debate, he said, was to explore the alternatives to using Microsoft
    | software, including open source."
    |
    | [...]
    `----

    http://www.news.com/Lawmaker-blasts-...3-6212721.html
    http://tinyurl.com/2ashm2

  2. Re: [News] Gordon Brown's Office is Violating Free/Open Source Laws

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > UK government stole website theme

    Nothing new there. They steal all their policies from the Tories, too.

  3. Re: [News] Gordon Brown's Office is Violating Free/Open Source Laws

    > UK government stole website theme
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | NUMBER 10, the UK Prime Minister's website, is apparently built
    > | using a design it nicked.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-stole-website

    I recommend that as many people as possible report this copyright
    violation to , citing the fact that this may
    well be a heavily modified derivative, but it is still a derivative work
    nonetheless, and as such is in violation of the cc-by, unless it retains
    attribution of the original author.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
    | longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
    | ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083
    `----

    23:41:01 up 4 days, 20:54, 4 users, load average: 1.99, 1.16, 0.56

  4. Re: [News] Gordon Brown's Office is Violating Free/Open Source Laws

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 23:41:20 +0100, Homer wrote:

    >> UK government stole website theme
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| NUMBER 10, the UK Prime Minister's website, is apparently built
    >>| using a design it nicked.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-stole-website

    > I recommend that as many people as possible report this copyright
    > violation to , citing the fact that this may
    > well be a heavily modified derivative, but it is still a derivative work
    > nonetheless, and as such is in violation of the cc-by, unless it retains
    > attribution of the original author.

    Yet when Roy Schestowitz was using copyrighted graphics without permission
    on his website you let it slide.....

    IOW not a peep from you [Homer]...

    Interesting...

    The COLA Linux zealot hypocrite is once again exposed for all to see.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread