[News] In Praise of the New OpenGL 3.0 - Linux

  1. [News] In Praise of the New OpenGL 3.0

    OpenGL 3.0 - A Big Step in the Right Direction

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | GL 3.0 takes two important steps to moving open standard graphics forward in
    | a major way. The first is to provide core and ARB extension access to the new
    | and exciting capabilities of hardware. The second is to create a roadmap that
    | allows developers to see what parts of core specifications will be going away
    | in the future, also providing the OpenGL ARB with a way to introduce new
    | features faster.
    `----

    http://fireuser.com/blog/opengl_30_a...ght_direction/

    Related:

    DirectX 10 vs OpenGL 2.1 Graphics

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now check out OpenGL 2.1 vs. DirectX 10 / 9 graphics.
    `----

    http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/inde...howtopic=13647

    OpenGL 3 Announced

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The OpenGL Architecture Review Board officially announced OpenGL 3 on August
    | 8th 2007 at the Siggraph Birds of a Feather (BOF) in San Diego, CA.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | OpenGL 3 is a true industry effort with broad support from all vendors in the
    | ARB. The OpenGL 3 specification is on track to be finalized at the next
    | face-to-face meeting of the OpenGL ARB, at the end of August. *
    `----

    http://www.osnews.com/story.php/1844...L-3-Announced/

    OpenGL 3.0: Longs Peak in September

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OpenGL Architecture Review Board has officially announced OpenGL 3 for the
    | next month. This release will be the expected “Longs Peak” release,
    | while “Mount Evans” is now scheduled for 4-5 months after “Longs Peak”. *
    `----

    http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/0...-in-september/

    OpenGL 2.x and 3.0 APIs arrive this year

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Approximately three months after that, Mount Evans (OpenGL 3.0) will
    | run specifically on hardware born after November 8th, 2006. You've
    | guessed it correctly, we are talking about DirectX 10-class hardware,
    | bringing all the features of unified 3D architecture to the world of
    | OpenGL. Mount Evans is compatible with Longs Peak, but of course -
    | you will require OpenGL 3.0 class hardware to run everything.
    `----

    OpenGL is far from dead

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Khronos took over the running of the OpenGL Architecture Review
    | Board last Autumn and has managed to get chip-makers like Nvidia
    | to open up DX10-esque hardware features in the OpenGL system.
    | "The extension mechanism has also allowed manufacturers of high
    | end cards to gracefully expose DirectX 10 features on Windows
    | XP," Splash said.
    `----

    Apple’s Leopard with DirectX-like OpenGL? More hints.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This means that the main person behind the newest OpenGL - which will support
    | all the new graphics technology available today - is employed by Apple.
    `----

    http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/0...gl-more-hints/

    Valve survey shows hundreds of thousands steamed up

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | However, the survey also shows how far Microsoft et al have to go
    | - currently, DX10-capable gamers (ie those with Vista and a DX10 card)
    | make up 1.21% of the gaming population.
    | * * * * ^^^^^
    `----

    DAAMIT! AMD's DX10 is not up to scratch

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The gap isn't much, but there's a good 10-15 per cent difference between
    | the two cards, and this is rather disappointing for a card that has
    | been repeatedly marketed as future proof.
    `----

    Inside CNET Labs: Lamenting DirectX 10

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We compared the same title side by side on a system running DX10 on Vista to
    | the same title on an identical system running DX9 on XP, and it's
    | difficult--sometimes impossible--to detect significant differences in how the
    | games look or perform. *
    `----

    http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9750536-1.html

    Adding DX10 has "done nothing"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Having tested the DX10 rendering path against the DX9 version, the chaps at
    | the fantastically named Elite Bastards say that they can't "Help but feel a
    | little disappointed to see yet another game where the inclusion of DirectX 10
    | functionality has done nothing for the title either graphically or from
    | performance standpoint". * *
    `----

    Valve questions Microsoft's commitment to PC gaming

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Half-Life 2 developer Valve thinks that Microsoft's current
    | "Games for Windows" marketing push is a cynical ploy to sell
    | more copies of Windows Vista, rather than a genuine effort to
    | invigorate the PC gaming market.
    `----

    http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/12...ts_commitment/

  2. Re: [News] In Memoriam of the failed OpenGL 3.0

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > OpenGL 3 Announced
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> The OpenGL Architecture Review Board officially announced OpenGL 3
    >> on August 8th 2007 at the Siggraph Birds of a Feather (BOF) in San
    >> Diego, CA.
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> OpenGL 3 is a true industry effort with broad support from all
    >> vendors in the ARB. The OpenGL 3 specification is on track to be
    >> finalized at the next face-to-face meeting of the OpenGL ARB, at the
    >> end of August.

    > `----
    >
    > http://www.osnews.com/story.php/1844...L-3-Announced/

    uh huh... and here's what OpenGL developers think about the 3.0 spec: 38
    pages of complaints.

    http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...gonew=1#UNREAD

    "OpenGL is dead. Khronos killed it."

    "DX10 is much more innovative, better designed, supported and manageable
    than OGL... just see the # of the commercial engines for PC-Windows games
    using OGL and the # of the DX ones... clearly OGL is loosing the battle...
    each day that pass a bit more."

    "Does the ARB know that with the garbage they pulled will literally kill the
    OpenGL community? Like seriously, every forum, I've been to that does
    graphics, like GameDev, Here, and others. Alot of people have started
    learning direct3d now. It sucks that the ARB doesn't give the community what
    they asked for and wanted. Can't compete with Direct3D anymore, no nothing.
    They basically just shot off any chance of rivaling Direct3D to bare
    nothing.

    Even if they release the stuff, how many more years are we going to be stuck
    with stupid 1.x/2.x crap?"

    "[I] am severely disappointed, if not angry or even infuriated.... Truly, a
    disappointment."

    "And so OpenGL dies a slow death afterall."

    "DX10/11 are looking mighty attractive right about now.."

    "What I'm annoyed about is the way the ARB haven't told us ANYTHING for a
    year and then don't deliver the stuff they did tell us about"

    "Two years have just been wasted, OpenGL is even more ancient now, Direct3D
    is looking like a pretty attractive, modern API."

    "...now the entire API is ancient and stuck in a phase where it can't move
    forward."

    "...catching up with Direct3D at this point would be near impossible."

    "GL is more and more becoming a dead standard, a bloated mass of spec with
    no particular sence. It still includes EVIL features like selection mode
    despite driver vendors having stopped to care about it long time ago..."

    All paid plants by Microsoft DirectX shills of course.

+ Reply to Thread