Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software - Linux ; On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:36:23 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > BT joins enterprise open-source community > > ,----[ Quote ] >| The communications and IT giant has already been a member of the Linux >| Foundation since 2005. According ...

  1. Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:36:23 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > BT joins enterprise open-source community
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The communications and IT giant has already been a member of the Linux
    >| Foundation since 2005. According to a Wednesday statement, BT joined
    >| FossBazaar because it wants to help "accelerate the adoption of free and
    >| open-source software in business". Apart from the Linux Foundation, other
    >| sponsors of FossBazaar include HP, Novell, Google and SourceForge.

    What a load of ****.....
    Better tell Mark Kent he will be out of a job shortly....

    "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our services,
    allowing us to evolve the services as and when required."

    Mark Kent
    Head of Technology Strategy

    http://www.jnetx.com/index.php?id=products

    https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com...10ba73b82dbdb4

    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dbox_Demo.pptx

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:36:23 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> BT joins enterprise open-source community
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The communications and IT giant has already been a member of the Linux
    >> | Foundation since 2005. According to a Wednesday statement, BT joined
    >> | FossBazaar because it wants to help "accelerate the adoption of free and
    >> | open-source software in business". Apart from the Linux Foundation, other
    >> | sponsors of FossBazaar include HP, Novell, Google and SourceForge.

    > What a load of ****.....
    > Better tell Mark Kent he will be out of a job shortly....
    >

    > "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    > customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our services,
    > allowing us to evolve the services as and when required."

    This has no relevance to the point of the thread.

    In fact this has no relevance to anything you try and prove with it.

  3. Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software

    Phil Da Lick! espoused:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:36:23 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> BT joins enterprise open-source community
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >> What a load of ****.....
    >> Better tell Mark Kent he will be out of a job shortly....
    >>

    >> "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    >> customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our services,
    >> allowing us to evolve the services as and when required."

    > This has no relevance to the point of the thread.
    >
    > In fact this has no relevance to anything you try and prove with it.

    JAIN SLEE offers enormous advantages to anyone planning to run a
    telecoms network over more traditional NEP supplied equipment. The
    traditional NEP business model was very similar to that of other
    proprietary software and hardware vendors, like Microsoft and Cisco and
    others, which centered on supplying vertically integrated devices, from
    hardware to east, west, north & southbound interfaces, and then ideally
    using "extended" protocols on the north, south, east and westbound
    interfaces in order to further lock-in to other devices.

    This approach, securing the interfaces when based on standards
    protocols, has been tagged "embrace and extend" by Microsoft, but there
    are plenty of other companies which do the same thing. A quick peek at
    Q.931 would suggest that signalling in C7 land should be simple, but in
    reality each major NEP had their own variation of C7/Q.931 INAP, just as
    manufacturers all have their own variation of SIP, so that eg., Cisco
    SIP is not very compatible with Siemens SIP, and so on.

    The upshot of all this is that, for example, if you buy a Switch from a
    particular vendor, let's call them EricsAlcatelMens, or EAS for short,
    so that we don't pick on any particular vendor, as and when we want to
    offer a particular kind of voice application, let's say it's a voice
    VPN, or an IVR system (press 1 for this, 2 for that, and so on), then we
    have to go to EAS for our SCP, *because* the only company which supports
    the particular /variant/ of INAP used by the EAS switch, is, guess who?
    EAS for the SCP.

    The result? you're completely locked to that particular vendor, you
    *have* to buy their SCP because it's the only one which will work for
    you because you have an EAS switch. The upshot? Well, the only
    platform on which applications can be developed is, wait for it...
    proprietary to EAS, so any applications use EAS proprietary functions,
    which means that, well, guess who owns the applications? You, the
    customer? Nah, don't be daft! They're owned by the vendor. You only
    get to rent them.

    The solution to the problem of owning your own applications, here, is
    JAIN SLEE. Why? Because even the /proprietary/ versions of JAIN SLEE
    (mobicents is an open-source version) have Resource Adaptors, RAs, which
    are customisable by anyone, including the customer. Their function is
    protocol adaption, and their impact is to ensure that at least one-end
    of a given protocol is on an open platform, so that no amount of
    "embrace and extend" can stop you, the customer, from owning your own
    applications rather than renting them from the vendor.

    It's very very important to be aware that the new generation of
    SIP-based vendors have not, in any way, solved this issue, if anything,
    it's worse than it ever was, because SIP is far less well specified than
    INAP, rather than more so. JAIN SLEE is your friend here, because it
    *also* supports SIP as well as C7/INAP, so applications which you
    develop will not only be compatible with any SSP (switch) you purchase
    from any vendor, they will also be compatible with any SIP-based session
    controller, too.

    Furthermore, by the careful definition of SDKs, it's possible to give
    access to network control capabilities from the JAIN SLEE to third
    parties from eg., internet-based access points. So, not only will you
    own your own applications, unlike in the traditional NEP world where you
    rented them from the vendor, you also have the opportunity to make
    access to *your* applications available to others, too.

    So, as I say in my .sig, "Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in. Own
    your own services!

  4. Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:59:08 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Phil Da Lick! espoused:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> What a load of ****.....
    >>> Better tell Mark Kent he will be out of a job shortly....
    >>>

    >>> "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    >>> customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our services,
    >>> allowing us to evolve the services as and when required."

    >> This has no relevance to the point of the thread.
    >>
    >> In fact this has no relevance to anything you try and prove with it.

    > JAIN SLEE offers enormous advantages to anyone planning to run a
    > telecoms network over more traditional NEP supplied equipment. The
    > traditional NEP business model was very similar to that of other
    > proprietary software and hardware vendors, like Microsoft and Cisco and
    > others, which centered on supplying vertically integrated devices, from
    > hardware to east, west, north & southbound interfaces, and then ideally
    > using "extended" protocols on the north, south, east and westbound
    > interfaces in order to further lock-in to other devices.

    Yawwwnnnn....

    I made it a little farther this time.
    Maybe the next time you re-post this drivel, Mark Kent, I might be able to
    get through the entire boring blob without feeling the need for a mid
    afternoon nap.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:59:08 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    >> Phil Da Lick! espoused:

    >>> This has no relevance to the point of the thread.
    >>>
    >>> In fact this has no relevance to anything you try and prove with it.

    >> JAIN SLEE offers enormous advantages to anyone planning to run a
    >> telecoms network over more traditional NEP supplied equipment. The
    >> traditional NEP business model was very similar to that of other
    >> proprietary software and hardware vendors, like Microsoft and Cisco and
    >> others, which centered on supplying vertically integrated devices, from
    >> hardware to east, west, north & southbound interfaces, and then ideally
    >> using "extended" protocols on the north, south, east and westbound
    >> interfaces in order to further lock-in to other devices.

    > Yawwwnnnn....
    >
    > I made it a little farther this time.
    > Maybe the next time you re-post this drivel, Mark Kent, I might be able to
    > get through the entire boring blob without feeling the need for a mid
    > afternoon nap.

    Here's a novel thought: If you don't want to read drivel on cola go to
    another newsgroup more suited to your windows fixation.

  6. Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:51:27 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:59:08 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >>> Phil Da Lick! espoused:

    >>> JAIN SLEE offers enormous advantages to anyone planning to run a
    >>> telecoms network over more traditional NEP supplied equipment. The
    >>> traditional NEP business model was very similar to that of other
    >>> proprietary software and hardware vendors, like Microsoft and Cisco and
    >>> others, which centered on supplying vertically integrated devices, from
    >>> hardware to east, west, north & southbound interfaces, and then ideally
    >>> using "extended" protocols on the north, south, east and westbound
    >>> interfaces in order to further lock-in to other devices.

    >> Yawwwnnnn....
    >>
    >> I made it a little farther this time.
    >> Maybe the next time you re-post this drivel, Mark Kent, I might be able to
    >> get through the entire boring blob without feeling the need for a mid
    >> afternoon nap.
    >>

    > Here's a novel thought: If you don't want to read drivel on cola go to
    > another newsgroup more suited to your windows fixation.

    I rarely advocate Windows....
    In fact I'm on record as being opposed to Vista.

    That's more honesty than all you Linux loons rolled into one stinking mass
    can put together.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:51:27 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Yawwwnnnn....
    >>>
    >>> I made it a little farther this time.
    >>> Maybe the next time you re-post this drivel, Mark Kent, I might be able to
    >>> get through the entire boring blob without feeling the need for a mid
    >>> afternoon nap.
    >>>

    >> Here's a novel thought: If you don't want to read drivel on cola go to
    >> another newsgroup more suited to your windows fixation.

    > I rarely advocate Windows....
    > In fact I'm on record as being opposed to Vista.
    >
    > That's more honesty than all you Linux loons rolled into one stinking mass
    > can put together.

    Who said anything about windows?

  8. Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 15:47:31 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Here's a novel thought: If you don't want to read drivel on cola go to
    >>> another newsgroup more suited to your windows fixation.

    >> I rarely advocate Windows....
    >> In fact I'm on record as being opposed to Vista.
    >>
    >> That's more honesty than all you Linux loons rolled into one stinking mass
    >> can put together.

    > Who said anything about windows?

    You did you bumbling idiot....

    Now you can't even read what you wrote 15 minutes ago?

    Tosser......

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 15:47:31 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> I rarely advocate Windows....
    >>> In fact I'm on record as being opposed to Vista.
    >>>
    >>> That's more honesty than all you Linux loons rolled into one stinking mass
    >>> can put together.

    >> Who said anything about windows?

    > You did you bumbling idiot....
    >
    > Now you can't even read what you wrote 15 minutes ago?
    >
    > Tosser......

    "windows fixation"

  10. Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Who said anything about windows?

    >> You did you bumbling idiot....
    >>
    >> Now you can't even read what you wrote 15 minutes ago?
    >>
    >> Tosser......

    > "windows fixation"

    *read back*

    OK I'll give ya that one I mentioned it first.

  11. Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software

    > That's more honesty than all you Linux loons rolled into one stinking mass
    > can put together.

    You mean like your refreshing honesty over Garmin support in Linux?

    --
    I just had my entire INTESTINAL TRACT coated with TEFLON!

  12. Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:36:32 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> That's more honesty than all you Linux loons rolled into one stinking mass
    >> can put together.

    > You mean like your refreshing honesty over Garmin support in Linux?

    I am right in that thread...
    Read my other reply...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:36:32 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> That's more honesty than all you Linux loons rolled into one stinking mass
    >>> can put together.

    >> You mean like your refreshing honesty over Garmin support in Linux?

    > I am right in that thread...
    > Read my other reply...

    Did. Answered. You're even more wrong than before.

    Anyway, this is my last word on the GPS topic, as I don't use that
    functionality.

    --
    Am I elected yet?

  14. Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:34:38 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:36:32 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> You mean like your refreshing honesty over Garmin support in Linux?

    >> I am right in that thread...
    >> Read my other reply...

    > Did. Answered. You're even more wrong than before.
    >
    > Anyway, this is my last word on the GPS topic, as I don't use that
    > functionality.

    Well I think we've both beat it to death, but read my reply.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: [News] BT Develops Free Oprn Source Software

    http://images.mccoveychronicles.com/...tDeadHorse.gif

    --
    You can't start worrying about what's going to happen. You get spastic
    enough worrying about what's happening now.

+ Reply to Thread