Dell "Instant On" screenshot - Linux

This is a discussion on Dell "Instant On" screenshot - Linux ; First screenshot I've seen, along with a video explanation:- http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/15/d...screenshooted/ I've just realised how little I knew about this "instant on" stuff, from both Asus and Dell. In the video, they seem to be saying that this is a separate ...

  1. Dell "Instant On" screenshot

    First screenshot I've seen, along with a video explanation:-

    http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/15/d...screenshooted/

    I've just realised how little I knew about this "instant on" stuff, from both
    Asus and Dell.

    In the video, they seem to be saying that this is a separate processor, flash
    memory, etc. with a specially tailored Linux OS (SLED?).
    If so, that already answers several questions I had.

    However, they seem to say that this sysyem has full access to the H/W, which
    seems a bit odd. If it's spinning up the disk etc., where is this "days
    instead of hours" on a charge coming from?

    When I saw that Dell were about to do an "instant on", I almost wrote here to
    suggest that this facility would provide what users needed for 90% of the
    time (and what *that* would do to those User Share figures so beloved of the
    Windows Enthusiasts here!). I'm glad I didn't, because I would have been
    wrong - the Dell guy says 95%!

    If anybody has links to specs, reviews of this or Asus, etc, I'd be obliged:-)

  2. Re: Dell "Instant On" screenshot

    bbgruff wrote:

    > However, they seem to say that this sysyem has full access to the H/W, which
    > seems a bit odd. Â*If it's spinning up the disk etc., where is this "days
    > instead of hours" on a charge coming from?

    Answering my own question to some extent:-
    http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=2804

  3. Re: Dell "Instant On" screenshot

    On Aug 17, 7:18*am, bbgruff wrote:
    > First screenshot I've seen, along with a video explanation:-
    >
    > http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/15/d...stant-os-detai...
    >
    > I've just realised how little I knew about this "instant on" stuff, from both
    > Asus and Dell.
    >
    > In the video, they seem to be saying that this is a separate processor, flash
    > memory, etc. with a specially tailored Linux OS (SLED?).
    > If so, that already answers several questions I had.
    >
    > However, they seem to say that this sysyem has full access to the H/W, which
    > seems a bit odd. *If it's spinning up the disk etc., where is this "days
    > instead of hours" on a charge coming from?
    >
    > When I saw that Dell were about to do an "instant on", I almost wrote here to
    > suggest that this facility would provide what users needed for 90% of the
    > time (and what *that* would do to those User Share figures so beloved of the
    > Windows Enthusiasts here!). *I'm glad I didn't, because I would have been
    > wrong - the Dell guy says 95%!
    >
    > If anybody has links to specs, reviews of this or Asus, etc, I'd be obliged:-)

    I noted the VISA's on the screen shots.
    I am confused why they are hiring people from India.
    There are a lot of programmers, in the USA, unemployed.

  4. Re: Dell "Instant On" screenshot

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 05:04:35 -0700 (PDT), Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > On Aug 17, 7:18*am, bbgruff wrote:
    >> First screenshot I've seen, along with a video explanation:-
    >>
    >> http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/15/d...stant-os-detai...
    >>
    >> I've just realised how little I knew about this "instant on" stuff, from both
    >> Asus and Dell.
    >>
    >> In the video, they seem to be saying that this is a separate processor, flash
    >> memory, etc. with a specially tailored Linux OS (SLED?).
    >> If so, that already answers several questions I had.
    >>
    >> However, they seem to say that this sysyem has full access to the H/W, which
    >> seems a bit odd. *If it's spinning up the disk etc., where is this "days
    >> instead of hours" on a charge coming from?
    >>
    >> When I saw that Dell were about to do an "instant on", I almost wrote here to
    >> suggest that this facility would provide what users needed for 90% of the
    >> time (and what *that* would do to those User Share figures so beloved of the
    >> Windows Enthusiasts here!). *I'm glad I didn't, because I would have been
    >> wrong - the Dell guy says 95%!
    >>
    >> If anybody has links to specs, reviews of this or Asus, etc, I'd be obliged:-)

    > I noted the VISA's on the screen shots.
    > I am confused why they are hiring people from India.
    > There are a lot of programmers, in the USA, unemployed.

    The Reganomics "Trickle Down Theory" of course....
    Give the companies the big tax breaks, increase the amount of foreign help
    (ie:cheap labor) they can use, give them incentives for doing so and of
    course the consumer will reap the benefits....

    Sure....

    Anyone taken a look at CEO salaries these days?
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Dell "Instant On" screenshot

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:36:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Anyone taken a look at CEO salaries these days?

    It's time for another revolution, except no one cares.

    -Thufir

  6. Re: Dell "Instant On" screenshot

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:18:31 GMT, thufir wrote:

    > On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:36:15 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone taken a look at CEO salaries these days?

    > It's time for another revolution, except no one cares.
    >

    > -Thufir

    Yes it is....

    I think the young people are starting to realize that though.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Dell "Instant On" screenshot

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > H-P has reportedly looked into the same thing [+], but there's no
    > announcement just yet. It's the largest OEM, AFAIK.
    >
    > Big announcement coming from NVidia later this month, IIRC. Good times for
    > FOSS!
    > ___
    >
    > [+] SplashTop Linux On HP, Dell Notebooks?
    >
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...p_voodoo&num=1

    This is Linux By Stealth, isn't it?

    If H.P. join Dell in this, most of the new laptops could soon be carrying an
    Instant On Linux.
    When that happens, some of the silly moans we get here are going to look even
    sillier:-

    - The average guy can't install it?

    - What's an ISO?

    - Linux destroyed my hard drive?

    - They won't let my daughter use it at school?

    - You have to be a geek to be able to use it?

    - What about the fonts and screen resolution?

    - No GUI - all from a green monitor?

    - You have to know all those cryptic codes?

    - Doesn't support the H/W?

    - Wireless networking is a nightmare?

    It's going to be amusing:-)
    Even more amusing when a hundred million folks are using it, mostly without
    knowing what it is, for 90% of the time they use a laptop - and asking why
    their "full" OS can't work like this.....:-)

  8. Re: Dell "Instant On" screenshot

  9. Re: Dell "Instant On" screenshot

    ____/ bbgruff on Sunday 17 August 2008 21:38 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> H-P has reportedly looked into the same thing [+], but there's no
    >> announcement just yet. It's the largest OEM, AFAIK.
    >>
    >> Big announcement coming from NVidia later this month, IIRC. Good times for
    >> FOSS!
    >> ___
    >>
    >> [+] SplashTop Linux On HP, Dell Notebooks?
    >>
    >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...p_voodoo&num=1

    > This is Linux By Stealth, isn't it?
    >
    > If H.P. join Dell in this, most of the new laptops could soon be carrying an
    > Instant On Linux.

    Yes, they have to. H-P and Dell are very competitive. Dell now offers added
    value. H-P must match or top them with some Luuuunix. :-)

    > When that happens, some of the silly moans we get here are going to look even
    > sillier:-
    >
    > - The average guy can't install it?
    >
    > - What's an ISO?
    >
    > - Linux destroyed my hard drive?
    >
    > - They won't let my daughter use it at school?
    >
    > - You have to be a geek to be able to use it?
    >
    > - What about the fonts and screen resolution?
    >
    > - No GUI - all from a green monitor?
    >
    > - You have to know all those cryptic codes?
    >
    > - Doesn't support the H/W?
    >
    > - Wireless networking is a nightmare?

    Very much the opposite now. Windows will commit malware suicide while Linux,
    which is in a pristine state, will /always/ work and remain simple.

    > It's going to be amusing:-)
    > Even more amusing when a hundred million folks are using it, mostly without
    > knowing what it is, for 90% of the time they use a laptop - and asking why
    > their "full" OS can't work like this.....:-)

    Lady: "what's Linux?"

    Salesmen: "It's that thing that was running on your Dell laptop for the past 2
    years?"

    Lady: "Oh, you mean that thing I escaped to when Windows didn't boot?"

    Salesmen: "Yes, but this one is much more versatile, and much cheaper too."

    Lady: "I'll have 3!!"

    People are scared of things unless they try them. Dell will force-feed Linux.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer

  10. Re: Dell "Instant On" screenshot

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 22:38:34 +0100, bbgruff wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> H-P has reportedly looked into the same thing [+], but there's no
    >> announcement just yet. It's the largest OEM, AFAIK.
    >>
    >> Big announcement coming from NVidia later this month, IIRC. Good times for
    >> FOSS!
    >> ___
    >>
    >> [+] SplashTop Linux On HP, Dell Notebooks?
    >>
    >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...p_voodoo&num=1

    > This is Linux By Stealth, isn't it?
    >
    > If H.P. join Dell in this, most of the new laptops could soon be carrying an
    > Instant On Linux.
    > When that happens, some of the silly moans we get here are going to look even
    > sillier:-
    >
    > - The average guy can't install it?
    >
    > - What's an ISO?

    Most Windows users have no idea what an ISO is.
    I hear it all the time.
    Even if they figure it out, they screw up the burn somehow.

    They also can't traverse the typical download sites for Linux.
    ie: What's i386?

    > - Linux destroyed my hard drive?

    Not Linux, although Linux will get the blame.
    Ignorance by the user.

    > - They won't let my daughter use it at school?

    Depends on the school.
    I'm batting .500 here with one school not supporting it and the other
    school does, but with limited support.
    It's a start I suppose.

    > - You have to be a geek to be able to use it?

    To maintain and install it, sort of.
    If the hardware is supported it can mostly be done by someone who can do
    the same with Windows.

    > - What about the fonts and screen resolution?

    Depends on the card and monitor.
    Linux has a difficult time with 1440x960 and certain wide screen monitors.

    > - No GUI - all from a green monitor?

    Stereotype that people still think is true.

    > - You have to know all those cryptic codes?

    Depends on if your system is pre-loaded.

    > - Doesn't support the H/W?

    Big one.

    > - Wireless networking is a nightmare?

    Depends. Some are some are not.

    > It's going to be amusing:-)
    > Even more amusing when a hundred million folks are using it, mostly without
    > knowing what it is, for 90% of the time they use a laptop - and asking why
    > their "full" OS can't work like this.....:-)

    You forgot hibernation and power control on laptops...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Dell "Instant On" screenshot

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:12:12 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Depends on the card and monitor.
    >> Linux has a difficult time with 1440x960 and certain wide screen monitors.

    > You mean 1440x900?

    Yea that's it.
    My mistake!
    Haha I actually had to go and look

    > I had a little trouble with one, but I can't find any special tweaking
    > in xorg.conf.

    Didn't work here.
    "Monitor Frequency Out Of Range" even with defaults, although the GUI was
    on the screen
    The problem was the blue box was blocking everything.

    Going to "safe mode" on boot allowed me to alter xorg.conf and all is well,
    but average Joe ain't going to know this one.

    >> You forgot hibernation and power control on laptops...

    > And vendors who put in anti-Linux BIOS checks (by mistake).
    >
    > In general, though, things are so much simply than they were just 5
    > years ago.

    It's gotten better but it's still not as easy as Windows, mostly because
    Windows comes pre-installed, but not always.

    Look at this Linux pre-loaded nightmare from Lenovo for example:

    http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Re...-of-Questions/

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Dell "Instant On" screenshot

    On 2008-08-18, Linonut wrote:
    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Depends on the card and monitor.
    >> Linux has a difficult time with 1440x960 and certain wide screen monitors.

    Like the ones that lie about what they are?

    There is even a special setting in Xorg for this.

    Although this isn't something I've ever had to deal with.

    > You mean 1440x900?
    >
    > I had a little trouble with one, but I can't find any special tweaking
    > in xorg.conf.
    >
    >> You forgot hibernation and power control on laptops...

    More trouble than they are worth on any OS.

    1) Go to sleep while you're computing or using the network.
    2) Castrate the machine while you are doing something compute bound.

    --

    Unfortunately, the universe will not conform itself to
    your fantasies. You have to manage based on what really happens |||

  13. Re: Dell "Instant On" screenshot

    > Going to "safe mode" on boot allowed me to alter xorg.conf and all is well,
    > but average Joe ain't going to know this one.

    That's why average Joe needs preloads in the first place.

    >> In general, though, things are so much simply than they were just 5
    >> years ago.

    > It's gotten better but it's still not as easy as Windows, mostly because
    > Windows comes pre-installed, but not always.
    >
    > Look at this Linux pre-loaded nightmare from Lenovo for example:
    >
    > http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Re...-of-Questions/

    3 stars out of 5 is a nightmare?

    Anyway, the list of unsupported features has some inexcusable items:

    * ThinkPad Power Manager for SUSE Linux
    * Wireless WAN Adapter
    * ThinkVantage Button
    * (Intel Graphics System) DVI Output

    Hell, even DELL probably does a better job. There's no excuse for
    shipping an incomplete product like that.

    --
    If you can't understand it, it is intuitively obvious.

  14. Re: Dell "Instant On" screenshot

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:31:30 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Going to "safe mode" on boot allowed me to alter xorg.conf and all is well,
    >> but average Joe ain't going to know this one.

    > That's why average Joe needs preloads in the first place.
    >
    >>> In general, though, things are so much simply than they were just 5
    >>> years ago.

    >> It's gotten better but it's still not as easy as Windows, mostly because
    >> Windows comes pre-installed, but not always.
    >>
    >> Look at this Linux pre-loaded nightmare from Lenovo for example:
    >>
    >> http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Re...-of-Questions/

    > 3 stars out of 5 is a nightmare?
    >
    > Anyway, the list of unsupported features has some inexcusable items:
    >
    > * ThinkPad Power Manager for SUSE Linux
    > * Wireless WAN Adapter
    > * ThinkVantage Button
    > * (Intel Graphics System) DVI Output
    >
    > Hell, even DELL probably does a better job. There's no excuse for
    > shipping an incomplete product like that.

    That review should have been 1 out of 5 stars considering what doesn't
    work.
    Shame on Lenovo for releasing a piker like that.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Dell "Instant On" screenshot

    Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Depends on the card and monitor.
    >> Linux has a difficult time with 1440x960 and certain wide screen monitors.

    > You mean 1440x900?
    >
    > I had a little trouble with one, but I can't find any special tweaking
    > in xorg.conf.

    Yep. I had trouble as well.

    Ubuntu 7.10 told me that I needed to use "closed drivers" or something, so I
    said OK, and it worked.... a real P.I.A., in fact...

+ Reply to Thread