[News] [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN! - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN! - Linux ; New PCs Can Wake up When They Get Phone Calls http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Ahe...ory?id=5577918 Intel Corp. is unveiling new technology that will let computers wake up from their power-saving sleep state when they receive a phone call over the Internet. Um...and how new ...

  1. [News] [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN!

    New PCs Can Wake up When They Get Phone Calls

    http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Ahe...ory?id=5577918

    Intel Corp. is unveiling new technology that will let computers wake
    up from their power-saving sleep state when they receive a phone
    call over the Internet.

    Um...and how new is this, really??

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

    Granted, there might be some changes -- IIRC, wake on LAN
    didn't require a specific packet type, and it is possible
    that this "new" technology includes filtering:

    [Joe] Van De Water [director of consumer product
    marketing for Intel] said the computer will know to
    wake up only for calls from services to which the user
    has subscribed, so computer-waking prank calls should
    be impossible.

    (Amen to that, especially if Mister Phreaker decides
    to start probing around for an open port and cracking
    into the device after making that call.)

    Also, 10 watts is 10 watts, and may very well become illegal in
    certain industrialized areas, as it is a "sleep mode" or
    "vampire power" mode -- a concern in coal-powered areas,
    such as the US Northeast. (I'm mildly surprised it takes
    that much power to handle RAM refresh and NIC power. For
    now, the legal ramifications are in the discussion stage.)

    I'd think it more useful for a remote device to wake
    up when it picks up motion from an attached camera or
    microphone, at least for the homedweller; a scientist
    type will want to generalize the concept to his liking.

    Just so you know: the new technology is called Remote Wake.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Insert random misquote here.

  2. Re: [News] [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN!

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:44:44 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Intel & Microsoft Killed the $100 Laptop

    Keep repeating it and maybe someday it will be the truth.
    Ineptness, mismanagement, infighting, fiefdom building and just general
    chaos killed the OLPC.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN!

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 14 August 2008 18:18 : \____

    > New PCs Can Wake up When They Get Phone Calls
    >
    > http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Ahe...ory?id=5577918
    >
    > Intel Corp. is unveiling new technology that will let computers wake
    > up from their power-saving sleep state when they receive a phone
    > call over the Internet.
    >
    > Um...and how new is this, really??
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN
    >
    > Granted, there might be some changes -- IIRC, wake on LAN
    > didn't require a specific packet type, and it is possible
    > that this "new" technology includes filtering:
    >
    > [Joe] Van De Water [director of consumer product
    > marketing for Intel] said the computer will know to
    > wake up only for calls from services to which the user
    > has subscribed, so computer-waking prank calls should
    > be impossible.
    >
    > (Amen to that, especially if Mister Phreaker decides
    > to start probing around for an open port and cracking
    > into the device after making that call.)
    >
    > Also, 10 watts is 10 watts, and may very well become illegal in
    > certain industrialized areas, as it is a "sleep mode" or
    > "vampire power" mode -- a concern in coal-powered areas,
    > such as the US Northeast. (I'm mildly surprised it takes
    > that much power to handle RAM refresh and NIC power. For
    > now, the legal ramifications are in the discussion stage.)
    >
    > I'd think it more useful for a remote device to wake
    > up when it picks up motion from an attached camera or
    > microphone, at least for the homedweller; a scientist
    > type will want to generalize the concept to his liking.
    >
    > Just so you know: the new technology is called Remote Wake.

    That's exactly what I thought when I saw the disproportionately large number of
    articles about it. How old is Wake-on-LAN? We've had it working here for at
    least 5 years.

    Intel also 'invented' the low-cost laptops...

    Intel & Microsoft Killed the $100 Laptop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The article points that the stand taken by Intel and Microsoft is similar to
    | the stand by large drug companies who, instead of working for the illnesses
    | that plague the poor, (such as malaria) choose to focus on low-volume,
    | high-margin drugs for cancer, heart ailments and diabetes.
    `----

    http://www.techtree.com/India/News/I...92095-581.html

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
    Tasks: 147 total, 2 running, 144 sleeping, 0 stopped, 1 zombie

  4. Re: [News] [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:37:26 -0400
    <10bl61t8pdv7c.11jgh7hnpojxc.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:44:44 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Intel & Microsoft Killed the $100 Laptop

    > Keep repeating it and maybe someday it will be the truth.
    > Ineptness, mismanagement, infighting, fiefdom building and just general
    > chaos killed the OLPC.

    Moshe is partly right. Africa is not noted for its lack
    of corruption, and the best of intentions aft gang agley,
    leading one to the road to hell (yes I know I'm mixing
    metaphors). The sad part is: the Classmate is probably
    easier for Intel to construct but doesn't have as long a
    battery life as the OLPC prototype.

    In any event, Intel will now be the supplier presumably for
    schoolchild laptops in Africa, and that may well be better
    -- if only for Microsoft. Wintel machines, after all,
    are the de facto standard, and the earlier the kiddies
    are indoctrinated into the sugarspun fairlyland of the
    Vista backdrop (assuming the Classmate can handle such),
    the better off Microsoft will be in the future, as only
    it can supply sugarspun fairyland backdrops.

    At least until they get infected.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.

  5. Re: [News] [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN!

    In article <1614818.2fXfk3U2hf@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > That's exactly what I thought when I saw the disproportionately large
    > number of articles about it. How old is Wake-on-LAN? We've had it
    > working here for at least 5 years.

    Instead of just seeing the articles, you should try reading one or two
    of them. That might tell you why this is different from plain old Wake
    on LAN.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  6. Re: [News] [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN!

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:13:54 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <1614818.2fXfk3U2hf@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> That's exactly what I thought when I saw the disproportionately large
    >> number of articles about it. How old is Wake-on-LAN? We've had it
    >> working here for at least 5 years.

    > Instead of just seeing the articles, you should try reading one or two
    > of them. That might tell you why this is different from plain old Wake
    > on LAN.

    Further proof that schestowitz is using scripts to generate his output.
    How many of you are fooled?
    Are you that ignorant?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN!

    On Aug 14, 3:37*pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:44:44 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > > Intel & Microsoft Killed the $100 Laptop

    > Keep repeating it and maybe someday it will be the truth.
    > Ineptness, mismanagement, infighting, fiefdom building and just general
    > chaos killed the OLPC.
    >
    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    it is like Linux Distro's.
    Everybody wants to be king.

  8. Re: [News] [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN!

    On 2008-08-15, Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article <1614818.2fXfk3U2hf@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> That's exactly what I thought when I saw the disproportionately large
    >> number of articles about it. How old is Wake-on-LAN? We've had it
    >> working here for at least 5 years.

    > Instead of just seeing the articles, you should try reading one or two
    > of them. That might tell you why this is different from plain old Wake
    > on LAN.

    ....been there, did that, still not excited...

    --
    Sophocles wants his cut. |||
    / | \

  9. Re: [News] [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN!

    * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > --
    > Sophocles wants his cut. |||
    > / | \

    Good thing Sonny Bono is dead, or Sophocles'd get his cut.

    --
    A programmer is a person who passes as an exacting expert on the basis of
    being able to turn out, after innumerable punching, an infinite series of

  10. Re: [News] [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN!

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:48:34 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> --
    >> Sophocles wants his cut. |||
    >> / | \

    > Good thing Sonny Bono is dead, or Sophocles'd get his cut.

    Sonny reportadly only knew 2 chords on the piano which most musicians know
    is not enough to construct a song.

    Although there is one song from the 50's that uses one chord and I cannot
    remember the name of it.
    It's one of those tunes like "Shout" by the Isley Brothers, but not that
    one.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: [News] [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN!

    In article <184ugb70cmc9j$.1mkla9v29uz0a.dlg@40tude.net>,
    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > > Good thing Sonny Bono is dead, or Sophocles'd get his cut.

    > Sonny reportadly only knew 2 chords on the piano which most musicians know
    > is not enough to construct a song.

    How many chords did John Cage use in 4'33"?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  12. Re: [News] [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN!

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 00:18:04 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <184ugb70cmc9j$.1mkla9v29uz0a.dlg@40tude.net>,
    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    >>> Good thing Sonny Bono is dead, or Sophocles'd get his cut.

    >> Sonny reportadly only knew 2 chords on the piano which most musicians know
    >> is not enough to construct a song.

    > How many chords did John Cage use in 4'33"?

    none...
    It's silence.. (AKA the Pet Rock of Music)
    There is no "music" in that piece....
    Of course, some (myself included) would say there is no music in RAP
    either....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: [News] [SOT] Wow! Intel's reinvented Wake-on-LAN!

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:44:44 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Intel & Microsoft Killed the $100 Laptop

    > Keep repeating it and maybe someday it will be the truth.
    > Ineptness, mismanagement, infighting, fiefdom building and just general
    > chaos killed the OLPC.

    They should have got Ian "See into the future" Hilliard to manage the
    project. It owuld have finished on time and under budget.

    --
    "I program Windows systems yes. But I am not a Windows user."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA.

+ Reply to Thread