Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Man in Sweater Lies and Insults the Chinese People - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Man in Sweater Lies and Insults the Chinese People - Linux ; In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz wrote on Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:46:29 +0000 : > > Gates: Privacy a 'challenge' as software advances > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ > > http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-100...=2547-1_3-0-20 > > Well, well, well.... > > "It's easier for our software to ...

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Man in Sweater Lies and Insults the Chinese People

    <6479616.X4y1COMlTi@schestowitz.com>:

    > Gates: Privacy a 'challenge' as software advances
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-100...=2547-1_3-0-20
    >
    > Well, well, well....
    >
    > "It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy than
    > when there's not." ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    > --Bill Gates, last year
    >
    > It's the same serial hypocrite and thief that his press continues to glorify:
    >
    > Gates speaks of software-writing revolution
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/biztech...?eref=rss_tech

    A good start, though the real problem I have with software
    is the information search problem.

    Briefly put: I have an idea for an algorithm (as an
    example, GIF/LZW encoding). How do I find the supplier
    therefor, or register myself as a supplier if none
    yet exists? That was presumably the problem UDDI was
    supposed to solve at one point, and such a commercial
    automated solution would help the USPTO an awful lot when
    searching for patents. It might also slow innovation to a
    bit of a crawl, of course, and the devil's in the details
    (my GIF encoding, for instance, was written in Perl).

    The FLOSS naming conventions, which verge on the whimsical,
    don't help -- though they do make things easy to find with
    a search engine, if one happens to know the name.

    As for "privacy"...I'll admit I have no idea what the term
    precisely means, anymore, in this electronic age.

    [rest snipped for brevity]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux makes one use one's mind.
    Windows just messes with one's head.

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Man in Sweater Lies and Insults the Chinese People

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 14 August 2008 16:38 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:46:29 +0000
    > <6479616.X4y1COMlTi@schestowitz.com>:
    >>
    >> Gates: Privacy a 'challenge' as software advances
    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-100...=2547-1_3-0-20

    >> Well, well, well....
    >>
    >> "It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy than
    >> when there's not." ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>
    >> --Bill Gates, last year
    >>
    >> It's the same serial hypocrite and thief that his press continues to
    >> glorify:
    >>
    >> Gates speaks of software-writing revolution

    http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/biztech...?eref=rss_tech

    > A good start, though the real problem I have with software
    > is the information search problem.
    >
    > Briefly put: I have an idea for an algorithm (as an
    > example, GIF/LZW encoding). How do I find the supplier
    > therefor, or register myself as a supplier if none
    > yet exists? That was presumably the problem UDDI was
    > supposed to solve at one point, and such a commercial
    > automated solution would help the USPTO an awful lot when
    > searching for patents. It might also slow innovation to a
    > bit of a crawl, of course, and the devil's in the details
    > (my GIF encoding, for instance, was written in Perl).
    >
    > The FLOSS naming conventions, which verge on the whimsical,
    > don't help -- though they do make things easy to find with
    > a search engine, if one happens to know the name.
    >
    > As for "privacy"...I'll admit I have no idea what the term
    > precisely means, anymore, in this electronic age.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    "Windows 2000 already contains features such as the human discipline component,
    where the PC can send an electric shock through the keyboard if the human does
    something that does not please Windows."

    --Bill Gates

    > [rest snipped for brevity]

    Is that why Vista sucks up so much energy?

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Real E-mail -> Harvest -> Fraud -> Spammers profit

+ Reply to Thread