[News] GNU/Linux Desktop Reaches Enterprises - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Reaches Enterprises - Linux ; > > Netbooks A Linux Stronghold? > > ,----[ Quote ] > | For years, backers of open-source software have hoped to push Microsoft out > | of its dominant position in desktops and laptops. Windows-powered personal > | computers ...

  1. Re: GNU/Linux Desktop Reaches Enterprises

    > Netbooks A Linux Stronghold?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | For years, backers of open-source software have hoped to push Microsoft out
    > | of its dominant position in desktops and laptops. Windows-powered personal
    > | computers account for more than 90% of unit sales,. Linux 4%, Gartner says.
    > `----

    I think NETBOOKS is where linux is going to take off.
    If it is not on the net, people will not want it.

    And it comes installed. New users get confused on a
    linux install. If you are already a linux user, it is easy
    to you, but fearful to newbies.

  2. [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Reaches Enterprises

    Canonical's Power Play

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So the takeaway from LinuxWorld seems to be this: Watch out for Ubuntu and
    | community Linux in general, coming soon to an enterprise near you.
    `----

    http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3765106

    Days ago:

    Canonical To VARs: 11% of U.S. Businesses Use Ubuntu Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In an effort to rally solutions providers around Ubuntu Linux, Canonical is
    | telling resellers that 11 percent of U.S. businesses already run Ubuntu.
    `----

    http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/08/10/...-ubuntu-linux/

    Recent:

    French police deal blow to Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
    | for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
    | administrations in the world to make the break. Â*
    `----

    http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...LZ3IeRaIH03x6w

    Vista: DOA in the Enterprise

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/5by7m4

    Netbooks A Linux Stronghold?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For years, backers of open-source software have hoped to push Microsoft out
    | of its dominant position in desktops and laptops. Windows-powered personal
    | computers account for more than 90% of unit sales,. Linux 4%, Gartner says.
    `----

    http://ca.biz.yahoo.com/ibd/080807/tech.html?.v=1

    Linux still super in Top500

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the June 2008 Top500 list, Linux still lives large with a role in 92% of
    | systems (It is the only OS for 85.4%, but when considering all distributions
    | (SUSE, Red Hat, CentOS, and general ‘Linux,’ as well as mixed uses that
    | include Linux, I figure the share is more like the 92%).
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...per-in-top500/

  3. Re: GNU/Linux Desktop Reaches Enterprises

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 03:45:27 -0700 (PDT), Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    >> Netbooks A Linux Stronghold?
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| For years, backers of open-source software have hoped to push Microsoft out
    >>| of its dominant position in desktops and laptops. Windows-powered personal
    >>| computers account for more than 90% of unit sales,. Linux 4%, Gartner says.
    >> `----
    >>

    > I think NETBOOKS is where linux is going to take off.
    > If it is not on the net, people will not want it.
    >
    > And it comes installed. New users get confused on a
    > linux install. If you are already a linux user, it is easy
    > to you, but fearful to newbies.

    I agree with this.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb