Is it doable? two input/output suit but one CPU box - Linux

This is a discussion on Is it doable? two input/output suit but one CPU box - Linux ; Hi, I have two monitors, two USB keyboards, two USB mouses. What I want to do is, use one monitor, one USB keyboard, one USB mouse to regular work in Linux(with X server). And I want to install a vmware, ...

  1. Is it doable? two input/output suit but one CPU box

    Hi,

    I have two monitors, two USB keyboards, two USB mouses. What I want to
    do is, use one monitor, one USB keyboard, one USB mouse to regular
    work in Linux(with X server). And I want to install a vmware, runs
    another Linux in that vmware, this vmware window should be appeard in
    another monitor, use the input from another keyboard, another mice.

    Is it possible without interference with two machine?

    What I can think out is use two X servers, to run vmware in another X
    server. But is the X server support choosing input from a USB port?

    Can it be done with only one X server? I think the hard part is how to
    make the input device dedicated for only one machine.

    Thanks.
    Bin

  2. Re: Is it doable? two input/output suit but one CPU box

    Bin Chen wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two monitors, two USB keyboards, two USB mouses. What I want to
    > do is, use one monitor, one USB keyboard, one USB mouse to regular
    > work in Linux(with X server). And I want to install a vmware, runs
    > another Linux in that vmware, this vmware window should be appeard in
    > another monitor, use the input from another keyboard, another mice.

    Do you have four hands?

    Why not share the keyboard and mouse?

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: Is it doable? two input/output suit but one CPU box

    Bin Chen wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two monitors, two USB keyboards, two USB mouses. What I want to
    > do is, use one monitor, one USB keyboard, one USB mouse to regular
    > work in Linux(with X server). And I want to install a vmware, runs
    > another Linux in that vmware, this vmware window should be appeard in
    > another monitor, use the input from another keyboard, another mice.
    >
    > Is it possible without interference with two machine?
    >
    > What I can think out is use two X servers, to run vmware in another X
    > server. But is the X server support choosing input from a USB port?
    >
    > Can it be done with only one X server? I think the hard part is how to
    > make the input device dedicated for only one machine.

    Look for "multi-seat" systems. They do exactly that.

    See, eg. http://www.linuxtoys.org/multiseat/multiseat.html

    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  4. Re: Is it doable? two input/output suit but one CPU box

    On Aug 14, 5:41*pm, Josef Moellers siemens.com> wrote:
    > Bin Chen wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I have two monitors, two USB keyboards, two USB mouses. What I want to
    > > do is, use one monitor, one USB keyboard, one USB mouse to regular
    > > work in Linux(with X server). And I want to install a vmware, runs
    > > another Linux in that vmware, this vmware window should be appeard in
    > > another monitor, use the input from another keyboard, another mice.

    > > Is it possible without interference with two machine?

    > > What I can think out is use two X servers, to run vmware in another X
    > > server. But is the X server support choosing input from a USB port?

    > > Can it be done with only one X server? I think the hard part is how to
    > > make the input device dedicated for only one machine.

    > Look for "multi-seat" systems. They do exactly that.
    >
    > See, eg.http://www.linuxtoys.org/multiseat/multiseat.html
    >
    > --
    > These are my personal views and not those of Fujitsu Siemens Computers!
    > Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
    > * * * * If failure had no penalty success would not be a prize (T.. *Pratchett)
    > Company Details:http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/imprint.html

    Oh yes, it is what i want!!

    Thanks.

  5. Re: Is it doable? two input/output suit but one CPU box

    Josef Moellers wrote:

    > Look for "multi-seat" systems. They do exactly that.
    >
    > See, eg. http://www.linuxtoys.org/multiseat/multiseat.html

    Great resource. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread