A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more - Linux

This is a discussion on A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more - Linux ; I got Ububtu on my D drive which it /does/ see even though Rick and Thufir told me it would not but now it will not get online. My friend and I are now playing with it alot just to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 152

  1. A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    I got Ububtu on my D drive which it /does/ see even though Rick and Thufir
    told me it would not but now it will not get online. My friend and I are
    now playing with it alot just to see how bad this thing is. It reminds me
    of Windows3.1 in the way it looks though not in how it acts but it can't get
    online no matter what we do and it locks up for about a minute at a time
    just to piss the user off. If I needed something to be free it might be
    worth it but since computers come with Windows why the hell would anyone
    want this junk? Is there /anything/ I should be looking at that is
    impressive with Ubuntu or any way to get this garbage online?

  2. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Aug 13, 8:33*pm, "Rekruled" wrote:
    > I got Ububtu on my D drive which it /does/ see even though Rick and Thufir
    > told me it would not but now it will not get online. *My friend and I are
    > now playing with it alot just to see how bad this thing is. *It remindsme
    > of Windows3.1 in the way it looks though not in how it acts but it can't get
    > online no matter what we do and it locks up for about a minute at a time
    > just to piss the user off. *If I needed something to be free it might be
    > worth it but since computers come with Windows why the hell would anyone
    > want this junk? *Is there /anything/ I should be looking at that is
    > impressive with Ubuntu or any way to get this garbage online?

    What you need to do, is format drive D. Leave it blank.
    Use it as a backup. COLA be happy, you be happy.
    Happy Happy.

  3. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    Rekruled wrote:
    > I got Ububtu on my D drive which it /does/ see even though Rick and Thufir
    > told me it would not

    No-one ever said it wouldn't see your hard disk
    All anyone said was that it isn't called "D". Because it's a ****ing
    pointless means of storage identification that only one moronic company
    uses.
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  4. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    "Andrew Halliwell" wrote in message
    > Rekruled wrote:
    >> I got Ububtu on my D drive which it /does/ see even though Rick and
    >> Thufir told me it would not

    > No-one ever said it wouldn't see your hard disk
    > All anyone said was that it isn't called "D". Because it's a ****ing
    > pointless means of storage identification that only one moronic
    > company uses.
    >> spike1@freenet.co,uk | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering
    >> Pinky?" | Andrew Halliwell BSc |
    >> | in | "I think so brain, but this time, you
    >> control | Computer Science | the Encounter suit, and I'll
    >> do the voice..." |

    If Ubuntu can see the drive but does not know the name of it then what do
    you do if you have a whole lot of drives and you want to get to a particular
    one? That is idiotic.

  5. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message
    > On Aug 13, 8:33 pm, "Rekruled" wrote:
    >> I got Ububtu on my D drive which it /does/ see even though Rick and
    >> Thufir told me it would not but now it will not get online. My
    >> friend and I are now playing with it alot just to see how bad this
    >> thing is. It reminds me of Windows3.1 in the way it looks though not
    >> in how it acts but it can't get online no matter what we do and it
    >> locks up for about a minute at a time just to piss the user off. If
    >> I needed something to be free it might be worth it but since
    >> computers come with Windows why the hell would anyone want this
    >> junk? Is there /anything/ I should be looking at that is impressive
    >> with Ubuntu or any way to get this garbage online?

    > What you need to do, is format drive D. Leave it blank.
    > Use it as a backup. COLA be happy, you be happy.
    > Happy Happy.

    Nobody can get this **** to work.

  6. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Aug 13, 8:48*pm, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Rekruled wrote:
    > > I got Ububtu on my D drive which it /does/ see even though Rick and Thufir
    > > told me it would not

    > No-one ever said it wouldn't see your hard disk
    > All anyone said was that it isn't called "D". Because it's a ****ing
    > pointless means of storage identification that only one moronic company
    > uses.

    Andrew forgot his meds and somebody let him out.

    Linux does not use drive letters, per say. But
    they do use partition numbers.

    You can see the irony here? A meaningless number,
    to represent something. Well, I think if most linux
    distro's used the drive name, all would be well.

    FYI: you can give it a cool name at the mount point.
    /windows/coolname1
    /windows/coolname2

    Now, seeing the drive in Ubuntu can be done
    through the menu item, PLACES, and then COMPUTER.

    got Milk.

    Don't let Andrew out again. He goes nuclear.

  7. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:58:53 -0700, Rekruled wrote:

    > "Andrew Halliwell" wrote in message
    >> Rekruled wrote:
    >>> I got Ububtu on my D drive which it /does/ see even though Rick and
    >>> Thufir told me it would not

    >> No-one ever said it wouldn't see your hard disk All anyone said was
    >> that it isn't called "D". Because it's a ****ing pointless means of
    >> storage identification that only one moronic company uses.
    >>> spike1@freenet.co,uk | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering
    >>> Pinky?" | Andrew Halliwell BSc |
    >>> control | Computer Science | the Encounter suit, and I'll
    >>> do the voice..." |

    > If Ubuntu can see the drive but does not know the name of it then what
    > do you do if you have a whole lot of drives and you want to get to a
    > particular one? That is idiotic.

    No, you are idiotic.

    Here's a hint, Bunky... itsn't a D drive in Linux systems, for in many
    other systems, for that matter.

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Aug 13, 8:59*pm, "Rekruled" wrote:
    > "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in messagenews:88e5e261-4ddd-41ce-8de4-67cf9ba8bbe8@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com
    >
    > > On Aug 13, 8:33 pm, "Rekruled" wrote:
    > >> I got Ububtu on my D drive which it /does/ see even though Rick and
    > >> Thufir told me it would not but now it will not get online. My
    > >> friend and I are now playing with it alot just to see how bad this
    > >> thing is. It reminds me of Windows3.1 in the way it looks though not
    > >> in how it acts but it can't get online no matter what we do and it
    > >> locks up for about a minute at a time just to piss the user off. If
    > >> I needed something to be free it might be worth it but since
    > >> computers come with Windows why the hell would anyone want this
    > >> junk? Is there /anything/ I should be looking at that is impressive
    > >> with Ubuntu or any way to get this garbage online?

    > > What you need to do, is format drive D. *Leave it blank.
    > > Use it as a backup. *COLA be happy, you be happy.
    > > Happy Happy.

    > Nobody can get this **** to work.

    There is a secret back door password all the geeks know.
    You must not be a member.

  9. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:59:14 -0700, Rekruled wrote:

    > "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message
    >> On Aug 13, 8:33 pm, "Rekruled" wrote:
    >>> I got Ububtu on my D drive which it /does/ see even though Rick and
    >>> Thufir told me it would not but now it will not get online. My friend
    >>> and I are now playing with it alot just to see how bad this thing is.
    >>> It reminds me of Windows3.1 in the way it looks though not in how it
    >>> acts but it can't get online no matter what we do and it locks up for
    >>> about a minute at a time just to piss the user off. If I needed
    >>> something to be free it might be worth it but since computers come
    >>> with Windows why the hell would anyone want this junk? Is there
    >>> /anything/ I should be looking at that is impressive with Ubuntu or
    >>> any way to get this garbage online?

    >> What you need to do, is format drive D. Leave it blank. Use it as a
    >> backup. COLA be happy, you be happy. Happy Happy.

    > Nobody can get this **** to work.

    Then why use it?

    So, I guess, since it is pointless to use ****, except to fertilize, you
    won't be using "this ****" and since you won't be using it, you won't need
    to post here ..

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Aug 13, 9:08*pm, Rick wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:58:53 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    > > "Andrew Halliwell" wrote in message

    > >> No-one ever said it wouldn't see your hard disk All anyone said was
    > >> that it isn't called "D". Because it's a ****ing pointless means of
    > >> storage identification that only one moronic company uses.

    > > If Ubuntu can see the drive but does not know the name of it then what
    > > do you do if you have a whole lot of drives and you want to get to a
    > > particular one? *That is idiotic.

    > No, you are idiotic.
    >
    > Here's a hint, Bunky... itsn't a D drive in Linux systems, for in many
    > other systems, for that matter.
    >
    > --
    > Rick

    Some people just can't give you an answer.
    Look under COMPUTERS, and partitions are there by size.
    Not really by drive letter. You can mount it and name it anything
    you want.

  11. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:11:06 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > On Aug 13, 9:08*pm, Rick wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:58:53 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >> > "Andrew Halliwell" wrote in message

    >> > If Ubuntu can see the drive but does not know the name of it then
    >> > what do you do if you have a whole lot of drives and you want to get
    >> > to a particular one? *That is idiotic.

    >> No, you are idiotic.
    >>
    >> Here's a hint, Bunky... itsn't a D drive in Linux systems, for in many
    >> other systems, for that matter.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rick

    > Some people just can't give you an answer. Look under COMPUTERS, and
    > partitions are there by size. Not really by drive letter. You can mount
    > it and name it anything you want.

    ... ya think ????

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rekruled

    wrote
    on Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:33:55 -0700
    :
    > I got Ububtu on my D drive which it /does/ see even though Rick and Thufir
    > told me it would not but now it will not get online. My friend and I are
    > now playing with it alot just to see how bad this thing is. It reminds me
    > of Windows3.1 in the way it looks though not in how it acts but it can't get
    > online no matter what we do and it locks up for about a minute at a time
    > just to piss the user off. If I needed something to be free it might be
    > worth it but since computers come with Windows why the hell would anyone
    > want this junk? Is there /anything/ I should be looking at that is
    > impressive with Ubuntu or any way to get this garbage online?

    You are going to get a *lot* of questions....:

    [1] Are you referring to a secondary partition on your system drive
    (e.g., /dev/hda2) or a secondary spindle unit (/dev/hdb)? If
    the latter, one has a few issues booting, though I for one have
    had no troubles setting up systems where the small primary drive
    is largely untouched (except for replacing a boot block).
    If the former, one has some work to do; most Windows systems are
    set up with one big partition containing everything.

    [2] Without more details I have no idea how to troubleshoot
    what is probably a NIC routing issue. In my case,
    getting online would probably be little more than setting
    up my dhcpcd. Of course, there are other issues, such
    as ensuring that one's NIC card is actually functional;
    that's the tricky bit.

    [3] Win3.1 was primarily white with blue and gray,
    by default. Ubuntu is primarily orange/tan with black,
    as I remember (I'm downloading Hardy Heron 8.04.1, desktop
    version right now). Of course both are customizable.

    [4] There is nothing all that impressive with Ubuntu,
    actually, though there might be some nice eye candy
    floating about, such as compiz, and at least for me it
    functioned smoothly as a LiveDisc. But first things
    first -- you can't even get your NIC to work. What NIC
    do you have?

    [5] The lockups are troublesome, but without more information
    I've not a clue how to help you there, either.

    [6] Not that this is a help forum anyway. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
    bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false; return h;}

  13. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Aug 13, 9:09*pm, Rick wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:59:14 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    > > "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message

    > >> What you need to do, is format drive D. *Leave it blank. Use it as a
    > >> backup. *COLA be happy, you be happy. Happy Happy.

    > > Nobody can get this **** to work.

    > Then why use it?
    >
    > So, I guess, since it is pointless to use ****, except to fertilize, you
    > won't be using "this ****" and since you won't be using it, you won't need
    > to post here ..
    >
    > --
    > Rick

    Rick only knows cuss words.
    His mommy did not have a bar of soap.....

  14. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:14:14 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > On Aug 13, 9:09*pm, Rick wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:59:14 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >> > "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message

    >> > Nobody can get this **** to work.

    >> Then why use it?
    >>
    >> So, I guess, since it is pointless to use ****, except to fertilize,
    >> you won't be using "this ****" and since you won't be using it, you
    >> won't need to post here ..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rick

    > Rick only knows cuss words.
    > His mommy did not have a bar of soap.....

    Dork.. maybe you should take a look at the initial statement"Nobody can
    get this **** to work" and who made it.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    > On Aug 13, 8:48 pm, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >> Rekruled wrote:
    >>> I got Ububtu on my D drive which it /does/ see even though Rick and
    >>> Thufir told me it would not

    >> No-one ever said it wouldn't see your hard disk
    >> All anyone said was that it isn't called "D". Because it's a ****ing
    >> pointless means of storage identification that only one moronic
    >> company uses.

    > Andrew forgot his meds and somebody let him out.
    >
    > Linux does not use drive letters, per say. But
    > they do use partition numbers.
    >
    > You can see the irony here? A meaningless number,
    > to represent something. Well, I think if most linux
    > distro's used the drive name, all would be well.
    >
    > FYI: you can give it a cool name at the mount point.
    > /windows/coolname1
    > /windows/coolname2
    >
    > Now, seeing the drive in Ubuntu can be done
    > through the menu item, PLACES, and then COMPUTER.
    >
    > got Milk.
    >
    > Don't let Andrew out again. He goes nuclear.

    Why is the ****ing alphabet too hard for Linux to figure out?

  16. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:INudnXvh59MQGD7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:58:53 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >
    >> "Andrew Halliwell" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> No-one ever said it wouldn't see your hard disk All anyone said was
    >>> that it isn't called "D". Because it's a ****ing pointless means of
    >>> storage identification that only one moronic company uses.

    >> If Ubuntu can see the drive but does not know the name of it then
    >> what do you do if you have a whole lot of drives and you want to get
    >> to a particular one? That is idiotic.

    > No, you are idiotic.
    >
    > Here's a hint, Bunky... itsn't a D drive in Linux systems, for in many
    > other systems, for that matter.

    Before you call someone 'idiotic' again I suggest you figure out how to
    spell 'isn't' and then explain why Linux is too ****ed up to use the
    /ALPHAPET/. What the hell does Ubuntu call the D drive?

  17. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    > On Aug 13, 8:59 pm, "Rekruled" wrote:
    >> "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in
    >> messagenews:88e5e261-4ddd-41ce-8de4-67cf9ba8bbe8@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com

    >>> What you need to do, is format drive D. Leave it blank.
    >>> Use it as a backup. COLA be happy, you be happy.
    >>> Happy Happy.

    >> Nobody can get this **** to work.

    > There is a secret back door password all the geeks know.
    > You must not be a member.

    I have heard that all the super security is a load of crap because any
    hacker has /your code/. If they have /your code/ they can do anything they
    want. Would you hand out your PIN number to the world?

  18. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:INudnXrh59NFGD7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:59:14 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >
    >> "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> What you need to do, is format drive D. Leave it blank. Use it as a
    >>> backup. COLA be happy, you be happy. Happy Happy.

    >> Nobody can get this **** to work.

    > Then why use it?
    >
    > So, I guess, since it is pointless to use ****, except to fertilize,
    > you won't be using "this ****" and since you won't be using it, you
    > won't need to post here ..

    You fooled me once you asshole and now you try to 'redeem' yourself by
    agreeing you cannot think of a reason to use this ****. Get bent.

  19. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    > On Aug 13, 9:08 pm, Rick wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:58:53 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >>> "Andrew Halliwell" wrote in message

    >>> If Ubuntu can see the drive but does not know the name of it then
    >>> what do you do if you have a whole lot of drives and you want to
    >>> get to a particular one? That is idiotic.

    >> No, you are idiotic.
    >>
    >> Here's a hint, Bunky... itsn't a D drive in Linux systems, for in
    >> many other systems, for that matter.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rick

    > Some people just can't give you an answer.
    > Look under COMPUTERS, and partitions are there by size.
    > Not really by drive letter. You can mount it and name it anything
    > you want.

    Rick is an asshole who screws with new users because he cannot think of a
    reason to use Ubuntu.

  20. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:INudnXXh59NNGz7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:11:06 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    >>> No, you are idiotic.
    >>>
    >>> Here's a hint, Bunky... itsn't a D drive in Linux systems, for in
    >>> many other systems, for that matter.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Rick

    >> Some people just can't give you an answer. Look under COMPUTERS, and
    >> partitions are there by size. Not really by drive letter. You can
    >> mount it and name it anything you want.

    > .. ya think ????

    And you do not.

+ Reply to Thread