Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Results 141 to 152 of 152

  1. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On 2008-08-17, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    > On 2008-08-14, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    > I use lvm on a 250G Western Digital Internal SATA with 14 partitions and
    > an 80G Western Digital SATA with about 10 partitions. That's 24
    > partitions to handle. I run another USB 2.0 Western Digital 250G drive
    > (usb_storage.ko) with 8 partitions. The total is now 32. I've run out of
    > letters. I've got to Z and I still need some more.
    >
    >> Even Linux's system is slightly brain-damaged if one has
    >> removable disk units; a storage might be /dev/sda one
    >> bootup and /dev/sdc the next, if other sticks or storage
    >> units are plugged in. Fortunately, /dev/disk/by-uuid/
    >> is also available.

    > Yeah. I used to get around it by using LABEL=, but it's let me down
    > lately. The udev subsystem seems to be storing LABEL/DEVICE mappings
    > somewhere and I can't find out where. I'm going to convert over to using
    > UUIDs.

    An update to this:

    I've been googling again and found that the problem is in "mount" and
    its /etc/blkid.tab file. Apparently, it isn't updating this cache file
    whenever a USB device is removed and "mount" uses the cache when
    resolving LABEL to device. I'm now using a workaround, yes, another ugly
    hack, where I make /etc/blkid.tab a recursive link ie delete the file
    and link the link to itself:

    gentoopenguin# cd /etc && rm blkid.tab && ln -s blkid.tab blkid.tab

    Now all my USB drives mount without problem using "LABEL=".

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  2. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Kadaitcha Man had the audacity to say that:

    > Linonut, ye abhorrent false-peer, down, down to hell, and say I send
    > thee thither, ye dinned:
    >
    >>* Kadaitcha Man peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Rockinghorse Winner, ye asinine base foul stone falsely set, thou art as
    >>> loathsome as a fat toad, ye enjoined:

    >>> So, how many pictures or icons of fat, gormless-looking penguins named
    >>> 'Tux'
    >>> are on your system?

    >> On mine, none. Hell, I don't even have desktop icons or a "quicklaunch"
    >> (a misnomer on Windows systems) bar.

    > Well, none that you display, which is why I specifically asked about those
    > "on the system".
    >
    > Come on, you didn't really think I'd not notice the difference?
    >
    >>> Official Overseer of Kooks & Trolls in 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >> Overseer? You're the main inmate!

    > I've been called worse.
    >

    > Never in question.

    None here either, but I'm seriously considering getting a stuffed penguin
    8 )

    *R* *H*

    --
    "His one secret thought, became like a chain, binding down his spirit, and,
    like a serpent, gnawing into his heart; and he was transformed into a sad

    Nathaniel Hawthorne, "Roger Malvin's Burial"

  3. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    Rockinghorse Winner, ye grease-covered exceeding puppet, an admirable
    evasion of whore master man, to lay thy goatish disposition to the
    charge of a star, ye meandered:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Kadaitcha Man had the audacity to say that:
    >
    >> Linonut, ye abhorrent false-peer, down, down to hell, and say I send
    >> thee thither, ye dinned:
    >>
    >>>* Kadaitcha Man peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> On mine, none. Hell, I don't even have desktop icons or a "quicklaunch"
    >>> (a misnomer on Windows systems) bar.

    >> Well, none that you display, which is why I specifically asked about
    >> those
    >> "on the system".
    >>
    >> Come on, you didn't really think I'd not notice the difference?

    >>> Overseer? You're the main inmate!

    >> I've been called worse.
    >>

    >> Never in question.
    >>

    > None here either, but I'm seriously considering getting a stuffed penguin
    > 8 )
    >
    > *R* *H*

    What? And throw out any morally superior claim you had to maturity?

    Linux makes you ****ing stupid.

  4. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    * Kadaitcha Man peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Rockinghorse Winner, ye grease-covered exceeding puppet, an admirable
    >>
    >> None here either, but I'm seriously considering getting a stuffed penguin
    >> 8 )
    >>
    >> *R* *H*

    > What? And throw out any morally superior claim you had to maturity?

    Actually, I do have a stuffed penguin on top of my monitor. My daughter
    gave it to me years ago for xmas.

    Ooops, time to moult!

    --
    History shows that the human mind, fed by constant accessions of knowledge,
    periodically grows too large for its theoretical coverings, and bursts

  5. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On 2008-08-17, Kadaitcha Man wrote:
    > Rockinghorse Winner, ye asinine base foul stone falsely set, thou art as
    > loathsome as a fat toad, ye enjoined:
    >
    >> If you guys are going to be playing with a real operating system, I
    >> would recommend:
    >>
    >> -some maturity

    > So, how many pictures or icons of fat, gormless-looking penguins named 'Tux'
    > are on your system?

    ....dunno. Lost track.

    Although I have a nice booking photo of Chairman Bill as well
    as a nice picture from the Beijing Olympics of a BSOD being
    projected onto a building.

    --

    The average IT manager is a less effective mentor than a
    Spongebob Squarepants cartoon.

  6. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    JEDIDIAH wrote in news:slrngaj04s.3cb.jedi@nomad.mishnet:

    > On 2008-08-17, Kadaitcha Man wrote:
    >> Rockinghorse Winner, ye asinine base foul stone falsely set, thou art as
    >> loathsome as a fat toad, ye enjoined:
    >>
    >>> If you guys are going to be playing with a real operating system, I
    >>> would recommend:
    >>>
    >>> -some maturity

    >> So, how many pictures or icons of fat, gormless-looking penguins named
    >> 'Tux'
    >> are on your system?

    > ...dunno. Lost track.
    >
    > Although I have a nice booking photo of Chairman Bill as well
    > as a nice picture from the Beijing Olympics of a BSOD being
    > projected onto a building.

    No porn, huh?

    --
    Cod Almighty

    alt.usenet.kooks
    Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

  7. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    Linonut wrote:

    >* JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >> Although I have a nice booking photo of Chairman Bill as well
    >> as a nice picture from the Beijing Olympics of a BSOD being
    >> projected onto a building.

    > http://gizmodo.com/5035456/blue-scre...torch-lighting
    >
    > http://www.smh.com.au/news/off-the-f...306871673.html
    >
    > "Turns out that Bill Gates was not the only famous Microsoft identity
    > to be spotted at the Olympic opening ceremony."

    Funny, but may well have been a hardware problem...

  8. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On 2008-08-18, |><\(\(\((@> wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH wrote in news:slrngaj04s.3cb.jedi@nomad.mishnet:
    >
    >> On 2008-08-17, Kadaitcha Man wrote:
    >>> Rockinghorse Winner, ye asinine base foul stone falsely set, thou art as
    >>> loathsome as a fat toad, ye enjoined:

    >>> So, how many pictures or icons of fat, gormless-looking penguins named
    >>> 'Tux'
    >>> are on your system?

    >> ...dunno. Lost track.
    >>
    >> Although I have a nice booking photo of Chairman Bill as well
    >> as a nice picture from the Beijing Olympics of a BSOD being
    >> projected onto a building.

    > No porn, huh?

    You're changing the subject.

    --

    The average IT manager is a less effective mentor than a
    Spongebob Squarepants cartoon.

  9. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    "Linonut" stated in post
    dseqk.13109$Ep1.11160@bignews2.bellsouth.net on 8/18/08 6:09 AM:

    > * Kadaitcha Man peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Rockinghorse Winner, ye grease-covered exceeding puppet, an admirable
    >>>
    >>> None here either, but I'm seriously considering getting a stuffed penguin
    >>> 8 )
    >>>
    >>> *R* *H*

    >> What? And throw out any morally superior claim you had to maturity?

    > Actually, I do have a stuffed penguin on top of my monitor. My daughter
    > gave it to me years ago for xmas.
    >
    > Ooops, time to moult!

    I have a stuffed penguin in my office as well, though it sits behind me on a
    shelf - not on top of my monitor. Far too large for that.

    --
    I know how a jam jar feels...
    .... full of jam!

  10. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    JEDIDIAH wrote in news:slrngaj6g0.1ho.jedi@nomad.mishnet:

    > On 2008-08-18, |><\(\(\((@> wrote:
    >> JEDIDIAH wrote in news:slrngaj04s.3cb.jedi@nomad.mishnet:

    >>> ...dunno. Lost track.
    >>>
    >>> Although I have a nice booking photo of Chairman Bill as well
    >>> as a nice picture from the Beijing Olympics of a BSOD being
    >>> projected onto a building.

    >> No porn, huh?

    > You're changing the subject.

    Ok, you go and find somoene to talk to about Bill Gates. I'll find someone
    straight to talk about porn to.

    --
    Cod Almighty

    alt.usenet.kooks
    Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

  11. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.smh.com.au/news/off-the-f...306871673.html
    >>
    >> "Turns out that Bill Gates was not the only famous Microsoft identity
    >> to be spotted at the Olympic opening ceremony."

    > Funny, but may well have been a hardware problem...

    Probably. Hope it wasn't Lenovo equipment .

    --
    You are here:
    ***

    But you're not all there.

  12. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    [snips]

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:29:15 -0700, Rekruled wrote:

    > I have heard that all the super security is a load of crap because any
    > hacker has /your code/.

    Exactly the opposite: it is _more_ secure because the code is available.

    This is standard in, say, cryptography for example. If your system is
    worth using, it is worth using _even with the code exposed_. If your
    encryption relies on closed code to keep it "secure", it very likely
    isn't a very good system - and it certainly can't be _checked_ to see if
    it's any good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8