A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more - Linux

This is a discussion on A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more - Linux ; "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message news:15875563-162f-4a1c-8706-70366576f756@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com > On Aug 13, 9:09 pm, Rick wrote: >> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:59:14 -0700, Rekruled wrote: >>> "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message >>> news:88e5e261-4ddd-41ce-8de4-67cf9ba8bbe8@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com >>>> On Aug 13, 8:33 pm, ...

  1. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message
    > On Aug 13, 9:09 pm, Rick wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:59:14 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >>> "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message

    >>> Nobody can get this **** to work.

    >> Then why use it?
    >>
    >> So, I guess, since it is pointless to use ****, except to fertilize,
    >> you won't be using "this ****" and since you won't be using it, you
    >> won't need to post here ..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rick

    > Rick only knows cuss words.
    > His mommy did not have a bar of soap.....

    His daddy should have used a bigger switch.

  2. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:INudnXTh59N7FT7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:14:14 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    >>> Then why use it?
    >>>
    >>> So, I guess, since it is pointless to use ****, except to fertilize,
    >>> you won't be using "this ****" and since you won't be using it, you
    >>> won't need to post here ..
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Rick

    >> Rick only knows cuss words.
    >> His mommy did not have a bar of soap.....

    > Dork.. maybe you should take a look at the initial statement"Nobody
    > can get this **** to work" and who made it.

    And you cannot get it to work either so stop being an asshole.

  3. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Aug 13, 9:27*pm, "Rekruled" wrote:
    > "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in messagenews:1e080dfc-1117-4baa-8889-fddc38ff41ff@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com

    > >> No-one ever said it wouldn't see your hard disk
    > >> All anyone said was that it isn't called "D". Because it's a ****ing
    > >> pointless means of storage identification that only one moronic
    > >> company uses.

    > > Andrew forgot his meds and somebody let him out.

    > > Linux does not use drive letters, per say. *But
    > > they do use partition numbers.

    > > You can see the irony here? *A meaningless number,
    > > to represent something. *Well, I think if most linux
    > > distro's used the drive name, all would be well.

    > > FYI: *you can give it a cool name at the mount point.
    > > /windows/coolname1
    > > /windows/coolname2

    > > Now, seeing the drive in Ubuntu can be done
    > > through the menu item, PLACES, and then COMPUTER.

    > > got Milk.

    > > Don't let Andrew out again. *He goes nuclear.

    > Why is the ****ing alphabet too hard for Linux to figure out?

    Linux uses the the Liberian Alphabet. It goes ZYXHYSRW.
    Are you from liberia? You might understand that.

    But otherwise, use roman numbers.
    Easier.....

  4. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Aug 13, 9:31*pm, "Rekruled" wrote:
    > "Rick" wrote in message
    >
    > news:INudnXTh59N7FT7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m

    > >> Rick only knows cuss words.
    > >> His mommy did not have a bar of soap.....

    > > Dork.. maybe you should take a look at the initial statement"Nobody
    > > can get this **** to work" and who made it.

    > And you cannot get it to work either so stop being an asshole.

    You have to buy magic dust to make it work.
    Burn the CD. Format the Drive. Run, as fast as you can.
    Leave COLA and never come back. If you do, that RIck
    guy will be here spitting nasty names at ya.

  5. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    > On Aug 13, 9:31 pm, "Rekruled" wrote:
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:INudnXTh59N7FT7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m

    >>> Dork.. maybe you should take a look at the initial statement"Nobody
    >>> can get this **** to work" and who made it.

    >> And you cannot get it to work either so stop being an asshole.

    > You have to buy magic dust to make it work.
    > Burn the CD. Format the Drive. Run, as fast as you can.
    > Leave COLA and never come back. If you do, that RIck
    > guy will be here spitting nasty names at ya.

    Rick is just a nasty guy anyway did you see the way he tried to screw with
    me when I first came to this room?

  6. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    > On Aug 13, 9:27 pm, "Rekruled" wrote:
    >> "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in
    >> messagenews:1e080dfc-1117-4baa-8889-fddc38ff41ff@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com

    >>> Andrew forgot his meds and somebody let him out.

    >>> Linux does not use drive letters, per say. But
    >>> they do use partition numbers.

    >>> You can see the irony here? A meaningless number,
    >>> to represent something. Well, I think if most linux
    >>> distro's used the drive name, all would be well.

    >>> FYI: you can give it a cool name at the mount point.
    >>> /windows/coolname1
    >>> /windows/coolname2

    >>> Now, seeing the drive in Ubuntu can be done
    >>> through the menu item, PLACES, and then COMPUTER.

    >>> got Milk.

    >>> Don't let Andrew out again. He goes nuclear.

    >> Why is the ****ing alphabet too hard for Linux to figure out?

    > Linux uses the the Liberian Alphabet. It goes ZYXHYSRW.
    > Are you from liberia? You might understand that.
    >
    > But otherwise, use roman numbers.
    > Easier.....

    Makes more sense than this **** that is Ubuntu. And Rick said **** before I
    did.

  7. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:30:38 -0700, Rekruled wrote:

    > "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message

    >>> No, you are idiotic.
    >>>
    >>> Here's a hint, Bunky... itsn't a D drive in Linux systems, for in many
    >>> other systems, for that matter.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Rick

    >> Some people just can't give you an answer. Look under COMPUTERS, and
    >> partitions are there by size. Not really by drive letter. You can
    >> mount it and name it anything you want.

    > Rick is an asshole who screws with new users because he cannot think of
    > a reason to use Ubuntu.

    ... I use PCLinuxOS.

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:31:45 -0700, Rekruled wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:INudnXTh59N7FT7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m

    >>> Rick only knows cuss words.
    >>> His mommy did not have a bar of soap.....

    >> Dork.. maybe you should take a look at the initial statement"Nobody can
    >> get this **** to work" and who made it.

    > And you cannot get it to work either so stop being an asshole.

    Fine.. tell me what doesn't work on my system, "Rekruled".

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    You aren't in a room, jerkwad.

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    Well.. I do use **** to fertilize, but I use PCLinuxOS as my main OS.

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:INudnXDh59OYCD7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:30:00 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:INudnXrh59NFGD7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m

    >>> Then why use it?
    >>>
    >>> So, I guess, since it is pointless to use ****, except to fertilize,
    >>> you won't be using "this ****" and since you won't be using it, you
    >>> won't need to post here ..

    >> You fooled me once you asshole and now you try to 'redeem' yourself
    >> by agreeing you cannot think of a reason to use this ****. Get bent.

    > Well.. I do use **** to fertilize, but I use PCLinuxOS as my main OS.

    After you claimed I was Ronald Reagan who is /dead/ I stopped believing
    anything you say.

  12. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:INudnXHh59NOCT7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:47:02 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >
    >> "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message

    >>> You have to buy magic dust to make it work. Burn the CD. Format the
    >>> Drive. Run, as fast as you can. Leave COLA and never come back. If
    >>> you do, that RIck guy will be here spitting nasty names at ya.

    >> Rick is just a nasty guy anyway did you see the way he tried to screw
    >> with me when I first came to this room?

    > You aren't in a room, jerkwad.

    If you do not want to be in a room with me then leave.

  13. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:INudnXbh59MuCT7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:31:45 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:INudnXTh59N7FT7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m

    >>> Dork.. maybe you should take a look at the initial statement"Nobody
    >>> can get this **** to work" and who made it.

    >> And you cannot get it to work either so stop being an asshole.

    > Fine.. tell me what doesn't work on my system, "Rekruled".

    You are the asshole who cannot get the system to work.

  14. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:INudnXfh59MRCT7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:30:38 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >
    >> "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message

    >>> Some people just can't give you an answer. Look under COMPUTERS, and
    >>> partitions are there by size. Not really by drive letter. You can
    >>> mount it and name it anything you want.

    >> Rick is an asshole who screws with new users because he cannot think
    >> of a reason to use Ubuntu.

    > .. I use PCLinuxOS.

    Who cares you lying asshole?

  15. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 19:39:27 -0700, Rekruled wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:INudnXbh59MuCT7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m
    >> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:31:45 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" wrote in message
    >>> news:INudnXTh59N7FT7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m

    >>> And you cannot get it to work either so stop being an asshole.

    >> Fine.. tell me what doesn't work on my system, "Rekruled".

    > You are the asshole who cannot get the system to work.

    Fine.. tell me what doesn't work on my system, "Rekruled".

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 19:38:56 -0700, Rekruled wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:INudnXHh59NOCT7VnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d@supernews.co m
    >> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:47:02 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message

    >>> Rick is just a nasty guy anyway did you see the way he tried to screw
    >>> with me when I first came to this room?

    >> You aren't in a room, jerkwad.

    > If you do not want to be in a room with me then leave.

    You aren't in a room, jerkwad.

    --
    Rick

  17. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Psyc Geek (TAB)

    wrote
    on Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:07:38 -0700 (PDT)
    <1e080dfc-1117-4baa-8889-fddc38ff41ff@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Aug 13, 8:48*pm, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >> Rekruled wrote:
    >> > I got Ububtu on my D drive which it /does/ see even though Rick and Thufir
    >> > told me it would not

    >> No-one ever said it wouldn't see your hard disk
    >> All anyone said was that it isn't called "D". Because it's a ****ing
    >> pointless means of storage identification that only one moronic company
    >> uses.

    > Andrew forgot his meds and somebody let him out.
    >
    > Linux does not use drive letters, per say. But
    > they do use partition numbers.

    They use a combination of disk letters and partition
    numbers.

    BTW, it's "per se" -- a Latin phrase meaning "by itself"
    or "by themselves". For example, one can speak of
    "Linux per se" -- the kernel alone, in other words.

    > You can see the irony here? A meaningless number,
    > to represent something.

    It's an index into a partition table, that's about it.
    The partition proper can be anywhere on the disk, and
    in any order -- I've set up disks where /dev/hda1 is
    all the way at the bottom, for example, and /dev/hda2
    is *above* it. One can get arbitrarily creative, in
    fact -- as long as they don't overlap.

    > Well, I think if most linux
    > distro's used the drive name, all would be well.

    It might make things simpler to understand for
    some, though I for one prefer it as is; there's nothing
    really wrong with it and I'm not that much of a fan
    of change for change's sake.

    However, one can contemplate a few things -- some might
    take this seriously, most probably won't.

    Perhaps we just need to update udev, adding code
    to generate pathnames such as /dev/disk/by-drive/D .
    One can also modify the mount command to accept 'D:'
    as a shorthand; one could then type in commands such as

    $ mount D: /mnt/somewhere

    which mount would auto-translate to

    $ mount /dev/disk/by-drive/D /mnt/somewhere

    Utilities such as df might also need modification, so that
    instead of seeing

    /dev/hda2 1234567 991201 243366 80% /mnt/somewhere

    one would see

    D: 1234567 991201 243366 80% /mnt/somewhere

    This might be done using some sort of config switch
    in the kernel, which one would control by writing
    to a pathname somewhere in /proc .

    One could also set up supermount; if possible one could
    create directories or symlinks at the root level, and then
    the user can type in pathnames such as

    $ /D:/subdir

    after the implied mount

    $ mount D: /D:

    There is even the possibility of modifying the Linux
    kernel and Bash and certain utilities, so that both would
    correctly process pathnames starting with the form 'x:',
    and maintaining about 27 current directories instead of
    just 1, thereby allowing sequences such as the following
    (we assume PS1='\w $ ' and ignore issues with '~' for
    simplicity).

    /home/ewill $
    /home/ewill $ D:
    D:/ $ cd subdir
    D:/subdir $ ls -l
    D:/subdir $ cd subdir2
    D:/subdir/subdir2 $ cd ..
    D:/subdir $ cd /anotherdir/another2
    D:/anotherdir/another2 $ cd /subdir
    D:/subdir $ E:
    E:/ $ D:
    D:/ $ cd E:/adir/adir2
    D:/ $ pwd
    D:/
    D:/ $ pwd E:
    E:/adir/adir2
    D:/ $ pwd /
    /home/ewill
    D:/ $ cd /home/ewill/somewhere/else
    D:/ $ E:
    E:/adir/adir2 $ pwd
    E:/adir/adir2
    E:/adir/adir2 $ D:
    D:/subdir $ :
    /home/ewill/somewhere/else $ cp D:* E:
    /home/ewill/somewhere/else $

    Note that ':' might confuse very very old shell scripts,
    but that's OK: Bash no longer implements 'goto', if it
    ever did. The Bash globbing code would be smart enough
    to look at D:'s current directory, not at the current
    drive/directory (as shown in the prompt). Note that there
    is no elegant method by which one can support the
    command 'cp D:* E:*' without a lot of work in Bash, and
    the traditional quasi-DOSism 'cp D:*.* E:*.*' would cause minor
    problems as it doesn't get all files, unlike its DOS counterpart
    'COPY D:*.* E:*.*' .

    Supporting commands such as

    $ cp D:*.{zip,arj,lha,tgz,tar.gz} E:

    should not be too difficult, as Bash already supports {}.

    One might implement

    getcwd2(char * buf, int bufmax, int driveselector)

    as a brand new system call, or modify getcwd() to look
    at the first two characters of buf (that will probably
    break a few things), or simply implement the notion of
    a current drive, and have getcwd() return the current
    directory along with that drive. I'm assuming above
    that the traditional current directory is also preserved,
    though one might argue for a C: convention there as well.

    chdir() is unchanged except that if the first three
    characters are a letter followed by ':/', it will set the
    requisite current directory and resolve names relative to
    its local root. chdir() will never change the current
    drive, to be consistent with DOS (and rather perverse);
    one could contemplate

    chdrive(int driveselector)

    for that purpose.

    If the first three characters to chdir() are a letter,
    a colon, and a non-slash, it will set the requisite
    drive directory relative to its current location.

    Filename resolution in open() will follow similar rules.[*]

    Last but certainly not least, one has to maintain (somehow)
    a mapping from /dev/hdxy to these new drive letters.
    There's probably a number of methods, the simplest one
    being another kernel switch. Additional drives (e.g.,
    plugging in a USB stick) will probably do some interesting
    letter-shuffling, if the kernel switch is set to a
    certain position; one might then see oddballs
    such as

    E: 1234567 991201 243366 80% /D:

    in df output, as Linux does not currently support the
    notion of unmounting and remounting an active partition
    on another directory/mountpoint. (To unmount a
    partition, there must be no open files or directories
    thereon.)

    There are probably higher priority fixes.

    > FYI: you can give it a cool name at the mount point.
    > /windows/coolname1
    > /windows/coolname2
    >
    > Now, seeing the drive in Ubuntu can be done
    > through the menu item, PLACES, and then COMPUTER.

    Yes it could. Saves you one doubleclick. (Beeg deal,
    IMO, though some out there might like that.)

    > got Milk.
    >
    > Don't let Andrew out again. He goes nuclear.

    I wouldn't know.
    [*] note that in DOS, it is possible, if memory serves,
    to do things such as

    C:\>CD D:\SD1\SD2
    C:\>D:
    D:\SD1\SD2\>

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. When it absolutely, positively, has to crash.

  18. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rekruled

    wrote
    on Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:27:02 -0700
    :
    > "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> No-one ever said it wouldn't see your hard disk
    >>> All anyone said was that it isn't called "D". Because it's a ****ing
    >>> pointless means of storage identification that only one moronic
    >>> company uses.

    >> Andrew forgot his meds and somebody let him out.
    >>
    >> Linux does not use drive letters, per say. But
    >> they do use partition numbers.
    >>
    >> You can see the irony here? A meaningless number,
    >> to represent something. Well, I think if most linux
    >> distro's used the drive name, all would be well.
    >>
    >> FYI: you can give it a cool name at the mount point.
    >> /windows/coolname1
    >> /windows/coolname2
    >>
    >> Now, seeing the drive in Ubuntu can be done
    >> through the menu item, PLACES, and then COMPUTER.
    >>
    >> got Milk.
    >>
    >> Don't let Andrew out again. He goes nuclear.

    > Why is the ****ing alphabet too hard for Linux to figure out?

    Because Unix wasn't designed for single-drive prefixes,
    unlike CP/M and [Q]DOS. It's an older, simpler design.

    See my previous post on this thread for an idea of how
    one might rectify that, and confuse all of the developers
    and users at the same time...

    :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    New Technology? Not There. No Thanks.

  19. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    Rekruled wrote:
    > I got Ububtu on my D drive which it /does/ see even though Rick and
    > Thufir told me it would not but now it will not get online. My
    > friend and I are now playing with it alot just to see how bad this
    > thing is. It reminds me of Windows3.1 in the way it looks though not
    > in how it acts but it can't get online no matter what we do and it
    > locks up for about a minute at a time just to piss the user off.

    Ubuntu freezes?!?! Say it ain't so!

  20. Re: A Ubuntu problem or two or three or four or more

    On Aug 13, 8:58*pm, "Rekruled" wrote:
    > "Andrew Halliwell" wrote in message

    > > Rekruled wrote:
    > >> I got Ububtu on my D drive which it /does/ see even though Rick and
    > >> Thufir told me it would not

    > > No-one ever said it wouldn't see your hard disk
    > > All anyone said was that it isn't called "D". Because it's a ****ing
    > > pointless means of storage identification that only one moronic
    > > company uses.
    > >> * spi...@freenet.co,uk * | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering
    > >> * Pinky?" * | Andrew Halliwell BSc * |
    > >> * * * * * *| in * * * * * *| "I think so brain, but this time, you
    > >> * * control * | Computer Science * * | *the Encounter suit, and I'll
    > >> do the voice..." *|

    > If Ubuntu can see the drive but does not know the name of it then what do
    > you do if you have a whole lot of drives and you want to get to a particular
    > one? *That is idiotic.

    In English an orange is an orange, but in Spanish an orange is a
    naranja. How can you not understand that the logical name for
    something could be different depending on what OS you're using? Your
    troll sucks, you suck, throw your "D:" drive in the garbage.