Coming Soon: AMD R600 3D Documentation

,----[ Quote ]
| For months we have been telling you that AMD has been preparing to release
| their R600 series documentation as well as opening up the source-code to two
| of their internal software projects used for testing new graphics processor
| designs prior to the availability of the actual hardware. Advanced Micro
| Devices has yet to release their 3D programming documentation covering the
| R600 series (or the brand-new RV770) nor the source-code to their two
| internal projects (TCore and KGrids), but following several postings in our
| forums over the past couple of weeks and many emails inquiring about the
| status, today we have a brief update to share.

AMD Radeon HD 4870 X2 On Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| For those just interested in using one of the Radeon HD 4870 X2's GPUs with
| an open-source driver, you can do that today. The PCI ID for the Radeon HD
| 4870 X2 is 0x9441. This ID was committed to the xf86-video-ati master branch
| last night so if you check out the latest source-code and build the driver
| you can have this card up and running.

RadeonHD Driver Switches To AtomBIOS

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of the R500 and R600 graphics cards though have hard-coded
| mode-setting support that was done over the past year, but not all of that
| work has gone to waste. Where there is a hard-coded path, the RadeonHD driver
| will still use it unless the user sets the UseAtomBIOS option within their
| xorg.conf. For all other chipsets, AtomBIOS is used by default.

AMD to Nvidia: Two chips are better than one

,----[ Quote ]
| Advanced Micro Devices announced on Monday its most powerful graphics
| technology to date, going after Nvidia in the rarified--and closely
| watched--enthusiast game segment.

Nvidia has just reported massive losses (with the worst yet to come). Might the
price of being vain and proprietary...

AMD Makes An Evolutionary Leap In Linux Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Tux being part of their licensed box design, forthcoming CrossFire support,
| and other major features coming are major wins for the Linux community. For
| those concerned that AMD is attempting to build back up its binary blockade,
| don't worry as their open-source strategy will continue with the RV770. AMD
| engineers are in the process of sanitizing the programming documentation for
| this brand new GPU for public release in the coming weeks. We suspect the
| xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeonhd developers will have the documentation
| even sooner under NDA. In addition, the open-sourcing of KGrids and TCore
| will be relevant and helpful for the 2D and 3D RV770 open-source support.

AMD teraflop processor is all about open-source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Stream SDK’s Brook+ front-end is available as open source code.

AMD Releases Stream SDK For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| NVIDIA's competition for Stream computing is CUDA, which is the Compute
| Unified Device Architecture, or CUDA for short. CUDA has been supported on
| Linux now for some time and NVIDIA is in the process of bringing PhysX to
| CUDA, for physics acceleration thanks to their acquisition of AGEIA. Intel's
| competition is Ct, or C for Throughput Computing.

AMD Stream SDK Coming To Linux Soon

,----[ Quote ]
| NVIDIA has long supported their CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture)
| technology on Linux for allowing general-purpose code algorithms to be
| executed on the graphics processor, while AMD and their Stream Computing
| support has been absent on Linux. AMD has only been supporting their Stream
| SDK on Windows XP, but this morning we have confirmation that the Software
| Development Kit will be released for Linux in the coming days.

ATI/AMD's Open-Source Plans

,----[ Quote ]
| Starting off the X.Org talks at FOSDEM 2008 was AMD's John Bridgman, who has
| been leading the AMD GPG open-source efforts. John had talked briefly about
| the history of their open-source efforts for the R500+ series and the
| evolution of AMD GPU hardware. Among the interesting comments made were that
| TexturedVideo/X-Video support for the R500/600 may be coming quite soon, DRM
| and Mesa work forthcoming, open-source multi-GPU multi-GPU support is on the *
| road-map, and they will be re-releasing R200 programming documents. The RV620
| and RV635 documentation is expected in the near future. * * *

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD’s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
| news desktop Linux has had in a long time.

AMD Launches Open GPU Website

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD has today launched their new open GPU documentation website for
| register-level documents covering their ATI Radeon products. In addition,
| they are now providing an email address for any open-source developers who
| may have questions concerning these documents. *

AMD Delivers OpenGL Performance Increase for Linux Professional

,----[ Quote ]
| Version 8.49.7 of the ATI Catalyst Driver is now available for download via
| the ATI Catalyst Linux software suite...

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)