[News] Red Hat Sees Virtualisation Replacing Microsoft Windows - Linux

  1. Re: [News] Red Hat Sees Virtualisation Replacing Microsoft Windows

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > Red Hat VP Describes Virtualization Road Map
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Says open-source, Linux-based virtualization will play an increasingly
    > | important role in market, and in Red Hat's product mix.

    Wow. A Redhat mouthpiece predicts that virtualization and Red Hat products
    will increase in popularity. Soon you'll be telling us that Oracle see's
    increased importance of Oracle DB's and Sun will claim their products will
    be increasingly popular. "News" like this is amazing.

  2. [News] Red Hat Sees Virtualisation Replacing Microsoft Windows

    Red Hat VP Describes Virtualization Road Map

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Says open-source, Linux-based virtualization will play an increasingly
    | important role in market, and in Red Hat's product mix.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Ubiquity. Virtualization really is the next generation operating system. If
    | you look at what virtualization does, and what the lower half of an operating
    | system does - it's one in the same. That's the part that interfaces to the
    | hardware. Right now a RHEL offering of some sort is used in almost all of the
    | other hypervisors as the hardware enablement layer, so it really is the next
    | generation OS.
    `----

    http://www.cio.com/article/443332/Re...ation_Road_Map

    It's becoming a reality. Dell is now putting GNU/Linux on lots of motherboards.
    Other vendors already/will do the same.

    Recent:

    Windows will be killed by virtual appliances: VMware exec

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Large commercial operating systems, including Microsoft Windows, will no
    | longer exist within five to ten years, according to a senior VMware
    | executive. Instead there will only be very thin open source operating systems
    | supporting virtual appliances.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19483/1168/

    SplashTop Linux On HP, Dell Notebooks?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Days after we delivered that inaugural review, we found out DeviceVM was in
    | talks with OEMs about shipping SplashTop on desktops and notebooks.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In addition to the instant-on Linux excitement this week for the HP Envy 133,
    | Dell is apparently working on a similar Linux solution. Engadget has shared
    | details surrounding the Dell E and E Slim.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...p_voodoo&num=1

    Related:

    Dell Creating Consumer PCs Complete with Virtualization

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | And in a similar fashion to what Parallels and VMware Fusion did for the
    | Intel-based Mac community, this could give the Linux operating system a boost
    | from consumers who want to use the open source software but don't want to
    | lose out on what Microsoft's Windows platforms offer.
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/virtuali...reating_c.html

  3. Re: Red Hat Sees Virtualisation Replacing Microsoft Windows

    On Aug 14, 12:44 am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > > Red Hat VP Describes Virtualization Road Map

    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > > | Says open-source, Linux-based virtualization will play an increasingly
    > > | important role in market, and in Red Hat's product mix.

    Server virtualization has become mainstream, and many corporations are
    now pretty much giving preference to vendors who will support server
    virtualization and will work on Linux or Unix (LPARs, VPARs, or other
    Virtual Machines) and companies who think they gotta be in "native"
    mode running on Windows are the first to get cut from the list.

    Sure, there are still some legacy Windows server applications, and
    some .NET gateways, but even these are being virtualized for
    managability reasons.

    > Wow. A Redhat mouthpiece predicts that virtualization and Red Hat products
    > will increase in popularity. Soon you'll be telling us that Oracle see's
    > increased importance of Oracle DB's and Sun will claim their products will
    > be increasingly popular. "News" like this is amazing.

    And they would be telling the truth. Let's face it, with Microsoft
    trying to "lock out" competitors with products like SQL Server, C#
    and VB, and all of the other shovel-ware and extortion-ware, and
    demanding exclusive control of key distribution channels including the
    OEM channel, retailers, and corporate IT departments, desktop
    virtualization pretty much removes any excuses for NOT including Linux
    on a laptop, desktop or workstation. In fact, excluding competitors
    in the major channels could trigger lawsuits where OEMs, retailers,
    and even CIOs could become defendents in Clayton Act lawsuits.

    The days when Microsoft could "Lock out" competitors and get away with
    it, are pretty much over. In stores like Carfour, a store similar to
    WalMart and a major retailer of desktop and laptop computers is now
    putting several Linux powered laptops and desktops on the sales
    display floor. In addition, many of the machines are offered with "No
    OS", with users being encouraged to install their favorite version of
    Linux. Carfour is very big in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and
    larger cities in Africa.

    > ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

  4. Re: [News] Red Hat Sees Virtualisation Replacing Microsoft Windows

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:44:10 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Red Hat VP Describes Virtualization Road Map
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Says open-source, Linux-based virtualization will play an increasingly
    >>| important role in market, and in Red Hat's product mix.

    > Wow. A Redhat mouthpiece predicts that virtualization and Red Hat products
    > will increase in popularity. Soon you'll be telling us that Oracle see's
    > increased importance of Oracle DB's and Sun will claim their products will
    > be increasingly popular. "News" like this is amazing.

    Roy needs to tweak his script again.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: