[News] Radio New Zealand Does Ogg (Because of Stallman) - Linux

  1. [News] Radio New Zealand Does Ogg (Because of Stallman)

    Audio from Saturday, 09 August 2008

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As mentioned at the end of the interview with Richard Stallman, audio from
    | this week's programme is available in the Ogg Vorbis format.
    |
    | This format is openly documented and patent-free professional audio encoding
    | format. If you wish to try it you may already have a player that is
    | compatible. More information can be obtained from the Vorbis.com website.
    |
    | 08:45 Richard Stallman: Freedom (Ogg Vorbis)
    | Software freedom activist visiting New Zealand to help promote the use,
    | dissemination and ideals of free software.
    `----

    http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/saturday

    Re: Release plans

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Richard M. Stallman wrote:
    |
    | I did not "set any standard" just now. I am simply restating, and
    | applying, the goals of the GNU Project which I set in 1983.
    |

    | Our goal is not "helping users" (i.e., giving them whatever they
    | happen to want). Our goal is establishing freedom for computer users.
    |

    | Leading people to escape from Windows is a positive result.
    | Making use of Windows more convenient is not.
    |

    | Windows hardly matters anymore.
    |

    | Windows is not growing much in functionality. Meanwhile,
    | what functionality is so often "tied" to it is being whittled away
    | by programs that run on *any* operating system by sticking to
    | W3C standards (and closely related de facto standards).
    |

    | In a sense, the writing is on the wall and the Emacs
    | *architecture* will inevitably win (although, probably not GNU Emacs itself,
    | on the current trajectory): Javascript
    | instead of Emacs lisp; an in-memory, editable DOM object
    | instead of buffers; mostly HTTP as the "universal system
    | call".
    `----

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/em.../msg00467.html

    Recent:

    Richard Stallman and how easily we have traded away our freedom to share.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I enjoyed Richard Stallman’s talk on Copyright vs Community in the Age of
    | Computer Networks in Auckland on Friday. Â*Nix has gazumped me, her post and
    | the links provided well capture the way in which rms unwrapped his thinking
    | for the audience. Â*I much admired the way in which complex ideas were
    | simplified and framed in historical, legal, economic, political and societal
    | contexts to maximise the connections made. Â*Stallman must have given this
    | presentation many times before, yet apart from a sense that none of the
    | questions asked at the end of the session challenged what he had heard
    | before, he was persuasively passionate in his delivery. Â* Powerful thinking
    | and provocative ideas were shared in a way that made them available for all.
    `----

    http://artichoke.typepad.com/articho...-to-share.html

    Richard Stallman lives and works by his principles

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Not enough of us are willing to truly sacrifice for the principles we believe
    | in. If for no other reason than that, Stallman has earned the admiration he
    | has inspired.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...e=rss_topic122

    Copyright Depth Perception

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Friday saw a trip into town with Artichoke to see and hear Richard Stallman
    | talking about Copyright vs Community in the Age of Computer Networks. RMS (as
    | he likes to be known) was very engaging and spoke passionately about why
    | there should be dramatic changes in global copyright law. The lecture theatre
    | was packed to overflowing with the cream of Auckland’s Geekerarti and we were
    | right in the thick of it.
    `----

    http://www.nixit.co.nz/wordpress/200...th-perception/

    Free software pioneer Richard Stallman on his experience in Cuba

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In February of last year, Richard M. Stallman, founder and president of the
    | Free Software Foundation, spoke at the International Conference on
    | Communication and Technologies in Havana about what he strongly believes are
    | the merits of non-proprietary software. I recently learned directly from
    | Stallman what that experience was like.
    |
    | I interviewed Stallman at length on July 31 outside his MIT office, and I'll
    | post the interview on our site in the near future. Here's an excerpt in which
    | Stallman talked about his time in Cuba.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | DT: I've editorialized that U.S. companies should be allowed to compete in
    | Cuba. What's your position on that?
    |
    | RMS: I really don't care. From my point of view, business issues are minor in
    | comparison with issues of human rights and general well-being. And I reject
    | completely the assumption that the way to improve people's well-being is
    | always through a market. A market is a tool, and for some things it's very
    | good. It can work well in some areas of life, as long as somebody is making
    | sure it doesn't go haywire. One of the things we see when businesses have too
    | much power is that they corrupt those watchdogs, and we see this in the U.S.
    | all the time. The U.S. government has ceased to effectively monitor the
    | market to make sure it works well. Instead, it is a tool in the hands of big
    | business. So instead of capitalism of a useful kind, we now have extreme
    | capitalism, which is thoroughly corrupt. And the results of that are
    | increasingly bad, here and everywhere else.
    `----

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/stallman_on_cuba

    Free Software leader slams NZ copyright

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | “New Zealand’s law does not go as far as the DMCA in the US, but it is unjust
    | nonetheless,” he says.
    |
    | “DRM is nearly always the result of a conspiracy of companies to restrict the
    | technology available to the public. Such conspiracy should be a crime, and
    | the executives responsible for it should be sentenced to prison.”
    |
    | Stallman’s other mission here is to promote the Free Software Movement. The
    | creator of the GPL licence, under which most free software is distributed, is
    | at pains to correct misunderstandings of what the term “free software” means
    | and to draw a distinction between it and the open source movement.
    `----

    http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...25749A00383CB3

  2. Re: [News] Radio New Zealand Does Ogg (Because of Stallman)

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Audio from Saturday, 09 August 2008
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| As mentioned at the end of the interview with Richard Stallman, audio from
    >| this week's programme is available in the Ogg Vorbis format.
    >|
    >| This format is openly documented and patent-free professional audio encoding
    >| format. If you wish to try it you may already have a player that is
    >| compatible. More information can be obtained from the Vorbis.com website.
    >|
    >| 08:45 Richard Stallman: Freedom (Ogg Vorbis)
    >| Software freedom activist visiting New Zealand to help promote the use,
    >| dissemination and ideals of free software.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/saturday

    Well done the Kiwis!

  3. Re: [News] Radio New Zealand Does Ogg (Because of Stallman)

  4. Re: [News] Radio New Zealand Does Ogg (Because of Stallman)

    > ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 13 August 2008 11:55 : \____
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    >>> http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/saturday

    >> Well done the Kiwis!

    Actually it's well done Stallman, as he insists that his interviews are
    made available in Free formats and licenses.

    > If it was the BBC, they would DRM it and make some spyware available
    > for Win32 in order to play it.

    I'm sure they'd like to, but again Stallman says otherwise:

    It's not the Gates, it's the bars
    By Richard Stallman

    You can copy and redistribute this article under the Creative Commons
    Attribution Noderivs 3.0 license.

    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
    | longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
    | ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083
    `----

    01:37:49 up 236 days, 22:13, 4 users, load average: 2.13, 1.68, 1.31

+ Reply to Thread