[News] Motivated by Lindependence, Over 100 Cities Plan Installfests - Linux

  1. [News] Motivated by Lindependence, Over 100 Cities Plan Installfests

    Felton, California Residents Eschew Proprietary Software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It takes a village? How about a whole city? How about 100 cities? I enjoyed
    | this item from LinuxInsider about residents of Felton, California who pledged
    | to go proprietary software-free for at least a week. If you've ever been to
    | Felton, which has a Santa Cruz-like countercultural flavor, this pledge makes
    | sense. Felton isn't alone, though. As LinuxInsider reports, similar plans are
    | in place for towns in Oregon and New Mexico, and 100 towns in Italy.
    `----

    http://ostatic.com/170848-blog/felto...etary-software
    http://tinyurl.com/5tnrg2

    Those guys seem to started a fashionable wave of 'Lindependences' around
    the world. It will also be part of a film.

    Yesterday:

    Visions of a Microsoft-Free World

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Is free software taking over the world one town at a time? Residents of
    | Felton, Calif., recently pledged to go proprietary-free for at least a week.
    | Plans for similar events are reportedly under way in town in Oregon and New
    | Mexico, as well as 100 towns in Italy.
    `----

    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Vi...rld-64106.html

    Recent:

    13 year-old Eric Rufle talks about installing GNU-Linux watch!

    http://www.archive.org/download/e-dv...ic_009_001.ogg

    Event aims to bring Lindependence to one California town

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What is going well? Starks reports there will be some national coverage,
    | including a possible National Public Radio feature and partial coverage from
    | Fox News. Also, there are rumblings of other towns that may wish to try the
    | same kind of event. Both Starks and Cafiero have already been asked by others
    | if they could replicate this event. In fact, Cafiero says, "I would like to
    | consult with those who may be interested in doing a Lindependence project in
    | their communities as soon as possible. It doesn't have to be your whole town,
    | either -- it can be a local school, a local school system, any group that you
    | think might benefit from GNU/Linux and FOSS."
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/140575

    One Down...Three to go.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The first Lindependence project set sail into the history books today, July
    | 14th 2008.
    |
    | It went well. Extremely well.
    `----

    http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/0...ree-to-go.html

    Alternate Access to the System i

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Then I ran across something that cheered my heart no end: iSeries Access for
    | Linux. Those who have been following my travails recently might know that
    | I've begun treading the path toward a Microsoft-free environment. I've
    | already removed nearly all of my Microsoft applications, trading in IE for
    | Firefox, Outlook for Thunderbird, and Microsoft Office for Open Office (IBM
    | Symphony isn't quite ready yet). I created my own Linux mail server, and I'm
    | trying to go to the next step. Obviously, I have a major stumbling block in
    | the fact that WDSC (soon to be RDi) doesn't run on Linux, but I have to
    | believe IBM is going to fix that "real soon now." In the meantime, I'm trying
    | to find replacements for other software, and while a Linux 5250 terminal
    | already exists (TN5250), I thought I'd try the IBM version. * * * * *
    `----

    http://www.mcpressonline.com/operati...-system-i.html

    Calling All Distros

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This event is going to receive national and international coverage.
    | Ironically, a google search for LINdependence 2008 shows as much positive
    | activity internationally as within our own borders or even in the Ubuntu
    | LOCOs in California itself. In a recent google alert, it was amusing to see
    | that several prominent Chinese blogs are watching the project closely. This
    | is a golden 0pportunity for the leadership within Linux and FOSS to take
    | control of their own destiny. * * *
    `----

    http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/0...l-distros.html

    Related:

    Lindependence 2008 -- An invitation

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Lindependence 2008 introduces Linux to the town of Felton, California --
    | about 6,000 people who live at the foot of the San Lorenzo Valley in Santa
    | Cruz County, California. The plan behind Lindependence 2008 involves
    | assisting those wishing to declare their digital independence for an entire
    | week -- starting on Independence Day 2008 -- by using their choice of distro
    | and FOSS programs. * *
    `----

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...6/#post3094661

  2. Re: [News] Motivated by Lindependence, Over 100 Cities PlanInstallfests

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Felton, California Residents Eschew Proprietary Software
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| It takes a village? How about a whole city? How about 100 cities? I enjoyed
    >| this item from LinuxInsider about residents of Felton, California who pledged
    >| to go proprietary software-free for at least a week. If you've ever been to
    >| Felton, which has a Santa Cruz-like countercultural flavor, this pledge makes
    >| sense. Felton isn't alone, though. As LinuxInsider reports, similar plans are
    >| in place for towns in Oregon and New Mexico, and 100 towns in Italy.
    > `----
    >
    > http://ostatic.com/170848-blog/felto...etary-software
    > http://tinyurl.com/5tnrg2
    >
    > Those guys seem to started a fashionable wave of 'Lindependences' around
    > the world. It will also be part of a film.

    What have the Italians that we do not know?

  3. Re: [News] Motivated by Lindependence, Over 100 Cities Plan Installfests

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 20:08:12 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> Felton, California Residents Eschew Proprietary Software
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| It takes a village? How about a whole city? How about 100 cities? I enjoyed
    >>| this item from LinuxInsider about residents of Felton, California who pledged
    >>| to go proprietary software-free for at least a week. If you've ever been to
    >>| Felton, which has a Santa Cruz-like countercultural flavor, this pledge makes
    >>| sense. Felton isn't alone, though. As LinuxInsider reports, similar plans are
    >>| in place for towns in Oregon and New Mexico, and 100 towns in Italy.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://ostatic.com/170848-blog/felto...etary-software
    >> http://tinyurl.com/5tnrg2
    >>
    >> Those guys seem to started a fashionable wave of 'Lindependences' around
    >> the world. It will also be part of a film.
    >>

    > What have the Italians that we do not know?

    Great food and wine along with women that brush their teeth.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] Motivated by Lindependence, Over 100 Cities Plan Installfests

  5. Re: [News] Motivated by Lindependence, Over 100 Cities Plan Installfests

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >> What have the Italians that we do not know?

    > Great food and wine along with women that brush their teeth.

    :-)

+ Reply to Thread