[News] Dell Launches GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Shortly, Expands Offers - Linux

  1. [News] Dell Launches GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Shortly, Expands Offers

  2. Re: [News] Dell Launches GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Shortly, ExpandsOffers

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:39:46 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    >> There's more good news coming. Dell has just begun using Linux as
    >> complementary to compete better and offer added value. Just like ASUS,
    >> they play Microsoft Yo-Yo. Now it's Microsoft that runs begging to the
    >> OEMs...

    > Let me tell you, when you have places like Target selling the Eee 2G,
    > and CompUSA selling the Eee 4G, Eee PC 900 and the Sylvania Netbook G,
    > MS needs to really start worrying.

    We're hopefully nearing that "thing" known as competition and maybe
    moving away from monopoly

    -Thufir

  3. Re: [News] Dell Launches GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Shortly, Expands Offers

    thufir wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:39:46 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >>> There's more good news coming. Dell has just begun using Linux as
    >>> complementary to compete better and offer added value. Just like ASUS,
    >>> they play Microsoft Yo-Yo. Now it's Microsoft that runs begging to the
    >>> OEMs...

    >> Let me tell you, when you have places like Target selling the Eee 2G,
    >> and CompUSA selling the Eee 4G, Eee PC 900 and the Sylvania Netbook G,
    >> MS needs to really start worrying.

    > We're hopefully nearing that "thing" known as competition and maybe
    > moving away from monopoly

    It's a strange world, isn't it?

    Here's thee and me, and all the other Linux enthusiasts, eagerly looking
    forward to free markets and competition, and *still* being called communists,
    cheapskates and free-loaders......

    Ah well, never fear, for verily it is written that the geek shall inherit the
    earth....

  4. Re: [News] Dell Launches GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Shortly, Expands Offers

  5. Re: [News] Dell Launches GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Shortly, Expands Offers

    On 2008-08-12, bbgruff wrote:
    > thufir wrote:

    >>> Let me tell you, when you have places like Target selling the Eee 2G,
    >>> and CompUSA selling the Eee 4G, Eee PC 900 and the Sylvania Netbook G,
    >>> MS needs to really start worrying.

    >> We're hopefully nearing that "thing" known as competition and maybe
    >> moving away from monopoly

    > It's a strange world, isn't it?
    >
    > Here's thee and me, and all the other Linux enthusiasts, eagerly looking
    > forward to free markets and competition, and *still* being called communists,
    > cheapskates and free-loaders......

    Yeah...

    2 Macs, 600 DVDs and 4.5TB of disk storage and I'm a "cheapskate"?

    > Ah well, never fear, for verily it is written that the geek shall inherit the
    > earth....

    I'm seriously eyeballing that new mini knockoff from Dell...

    --
    Linux: because everyone should get to drink the beer of their |||
    choice and not merely be limited to pretensious imports or hard cider. / | \

  6. Re: [News] Dell Launches GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Shortly, Expands Offers

    In article <7196688.V3HkLmtd9T@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Microsoft operated at a loss in 1998.

    Wrong. Here's their annual revenue and expenses for several years (in
    millions). Note revenue was more than expenses every year. Also
    included is net income (revenue + investment - investment - taxes).

    Fiscal Year Revenue Expenses Net
    ----------- ------- -------- -----
    1985 140 99 24
    1986 198 137 39
    1987 346 233 72
    1988 591 418 124
    1989 805 573 171
    1990 1186 807 279
    1991 1847 1213 463
    1992 2777 1792 708
    1993 3786 2467 953
    1994 4714 3004 1146
    1995 6075 4053 1453
    1996 9050 5991 2195
    1997 11936 7065 3454
    1998 15262 8677 4490
    1999 19747 19737 7785
    2000 22956 11950 9421
    2001 25296 13576 7346
    2002 28365 20093 5355
    2003 32187 22642 7531
    2004 36835 27801 8168
    2005 39788 25227 12254
    2006 44282 27810 12599
    2007 51122 32598 14065
    2008 60420 37928 17671

    Did you think if you made up stuff from 10 years ago, no one would be
    able to check you, or what?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  7. Re: [News] Dell Launches GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Shortly, Expands Offers

    * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > The paid trolls should be sweating, too. Their paychecks are in serious
    > trouble.

    "Microsoft ain't done until the trolls run."

    --
    Stuckness shouldn't be avoided. It's the psychic predecessor of all
    real understanding. An egoless acceptance of stuckness is a key to an

  8. Re: [News] Dell Launches GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Shortly, Expands Offers

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:27:46 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <7196688.V3HkLmtd9T@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Microsoft operated at a loss in 1998.

    > Wrong. Here's their annual revenue and expenses for several years (in
    > millions). Note revenue was more than expenses every year. Also
    > included is net income (revenue + investment - investment - taxes).
    >
    > Fiscal Year Revenue Expenses Net
    > ----------- ------- -------- -----
    > 1985 140 99 24
    > 1986 198 137 39
    > 1987 346 233 72
    > 1988 591 418 124
    > 1989 805 573 171
    > 1990 1186 807 279
    > 1991 1847 1213 463
    > 1992 2777 1792 708
    > 1993 3786 2467 953
    > 1994 4714 3004 1146
    > 1995 6075 4053 1453
    > 1996 9050 5991 2195
    > 1997 11936 7065 3454
    > 1998 15262 8677 4490
    > 1999 19747 19737 7785
    > 2000 22956 11950 9421
    > 2001 25296 13576 7346
    > 2002 28365 20093 5355
    > 2003 32187 22642 7531
    > 2004 36835 27801 8168
    > 2005 39788 25227 12254
    > 2006 44282 27810 12599
    > 2007 51122 32598 14065
    > 2008 60420 37928 17671
    >
    > Did you think if you made up stuff from 10 years ago, no one would be
    > able to check you, or what?

    Spamowitz's masters are going to be very upset with him...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: [News] Dell Launches GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Shortly, Expands Offers

    "Tim Smith" wrote in message
    > In article <7196688.V3HkLmtd9T@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Microsoft operated at a loss in 1998.

    > Wrong. Here's their annual revenue and expenses for several years (in
    > millions). Note revenue was more than expenses every year. Also
    > included is net income (revenue + investment - investment - taxes).
    >
    > Fiscal Year Revenue Expenses Net
    > ----------- ------- -------- -----
    > 1985 140 99 24
    > 1986 198 137 39
    > 1987 346 233 72
    > 1988 591 418 124
    > 1989 805 573 171
    > 1990 1186 807 279
    > 1991 1847 1213 463
    > 1992 2777 1792 708
    > 1993 3786 2467 953
    > 1994 4714 3004 1146
    > 1995 6075 4053 1453
    > 1996 9050 5991 2195
    > 1997 11936 7065 3454
    > 1998 15262 8677 4490
    > 1999 19747 19737 7785
    > 2000 22956 11950 9421
    > 2001 25296 13576 7346
    > 2002 28365 20093 5355
    > 2003 32187 22642 7531
    > 2004 36835 27801 8168
    > 2005 39788 25227 12254
    > 2006 44282 27810 12599
    > 2007 51122 32598 14065
    > 2008 60420 37928 17671
    >
    > Did you think if you made up stuff from 10 years ago, no one would be
    > able to check you, or what?

    Absolutely incredible. If anyone still thinks that Roy Schestowitz has the
    slightest clue of what he's writing about then this ought to set the record
    straight. Obviously all these people who talk about how Microsoft is
    collapsing and crumbling have a difficult time explaining why their *profit*
    and net revenues continue to increase at a very solid rate.

    > --
    > --Tim Smith

  10. Re: [News] Dell Launches GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Shortly, Expands Offers

    * Ezekiel peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "Tim Smith" wrote in message
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft operated at a loss in 1998.

    >> Wrong. Here's their annual revenue and expenses for several years (in
    >> millions). Note revenue was more than expenses every year. Also
    >> included is net income (revenue + investment - investment - taxes).
    >>
    >> Fiscal Year Revenue Expenses Net
    >> ----------- ------- -------- -----
    >> 1997 11936 7065 3454
    >> 1998 15262 8677 4490
    >> 1999 19747 19737 7785
    >>
    >> Did you think if you made up stuff from 10 years ago, no one would be
    >> able to check you, or what?

    > Absolutely incredible. If anyone still thinks that Roy Schestowitz has the
    > slightest clue of what he's writing about then this ought to set the record
    > straight. Obviously all these people who talk about how Microsoft is
    > collapsing and crumbling have a difficult time explaining why their *profit*
    > and net revenues continue to increase at a very solid rate.

    What do you make of this, then?

    http://etheridge.ca/articles/economist-options.html

    FASB did, however, manage to make firms include a footnote in their
    accounts detailing the share options awarded during the year.
    Smithers & Co., a research firm in London, calculated the cost of
    these footnoted options and concluded that the American companies
    granting them overstated their profits by as much as half in the
    financial year ending in 1998. In some cases, particularly that of
    high-tech firms (which tend to be generous with options), the
    disparity is even greater. For instance, Microsoft, the world's
    most valuable company, declared a profit of $4.5 billion in 1998;
    when the cost of options awarded that year, plus the change in the
    value of outstanding options, is deducted, the firm made a loss of
    $18 billion, according to Smithers.

    >> --Tim Smith

    He should change his name to Adam.

    --
    In this vale
    Of toil and sin

  11. Re: [News] Dell Launches GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Shortly, Expands Offers

    In article ,
    Linonut wrote:

    > >> Wrong. Here's their annual revenue and expenses for several years (in
    > >> millions). Note revenue was more than expenses every year. Also
    > >> included is net income (revenue + investment - investment - taxes).
    > >>
    > >> Fiscal Year Revenue Expenses Net
    > >> ----------- ------- -------- -----
    > >> 1997 11936 7065 3454
    > >> 1998 15262 8677 4490
    > >> 1999 19747 19737 7785
    > >>
    > >> Did you think if you made up stuff from 10 years ago, no one would be
    > >> able to check you, or what?

    > > Absolutely incredible. If anyone still thinks that Roy Schestowitz has the
    > > slightest clue of what he's writing about then this ought to set the record
    > > straight. Obviously all these people who talk about how Microsoft is
    > > collapsing and crumbling have a difficult time explaining why their
    > > *profit*
    > > and net revenues continue to increase at a very solid rate.

    > What do you make of this, then?
    >
    > http://etheridge.ca/articles/economist-options.html
    >
    > FASB did, however, manage to make firms include a footnote in their
    > accounts detailing the share options awarded during the year.
    > Smithers & Co., a research firm in London, calculated the cost of
    > these footnoted options and concluded that the American companies
    > granting them overstated their profits by as much as half in the
    > financial year ending in 1998. In some cases, particularly that of
    > high-tech firms (which tend to be generous with options), the
    > disparity is even greater. For instance, Microsoft, the world's
    > most valuable company, declared a profit of $4.5 billion in 1998;
    > when the cost of options awarded that year, plus the change in the
    > value of outstanding options, is deducted, the firm made a loss of
    > $18 billion, according to Smithers.

    What about it? They didn't operate at a loss, which was Roy's claim. I
    suppose one could claim that Roy was not using "operated at a loss"
    correctly, and really meant that if you changed accounting methods to
    recognize the future cost of options up front, and retroactively applied
    that to all past options, and recognized that hit this year, instead of
    retroactively applying it to the years in which those options were
    granted, then they would have a net negative for that year. If that's
    what he meant, that's what he should have said.

    There is a *huge* difference in the accounting world between "operating
    at a loss" and an accounting method change shuffling when things are
    recognized into different years and artificially piling up a bunch of
    things in one year.

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread