Re: [News] The AstroTurfing Plague is Real - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] The AstroTurfing Plague is Real - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz espoused: > > China's Online Persuaders > > ,----[ Quote ] >| China's webspace is infamous for censorship, but increasingly, public >| relations firms there are helping their clients "manage" online >| conversations. China-based firms such as Daqi, ...

  1. Re: [News] The AstroTurfing Plague is Real

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > China's Online Persuaders
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| China's webspace is infamous for censorship, but increasingly, public
    >| relations firms there are helping their clients "manage" online
    >| conversations. China-based firms such as Daqi, Chinese Web Union and
    >| CIC "charge $500 - $25,000 monthly to monitor postings and squelch negative
    >| information or to create positive buzz," reports BusinessWeek.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.prwatch.org/node/7451

    Will outsourcing never end - now you can even outsource your /trolling/!

    Wow.

  2. Re: [News] The AstroTurfing Plague is Real

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 12 August 2008 09:44 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> China's Online Persuaders
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| China's webspace is infamous for censorship, but increasingly, public
    >>| relations firms there are helping their clients "manage" online
    >>| conversations. China-based firms such as Daqi, Chinese Web Union and
    >>| CIC "charge $500 - $25,000 monthly to monitor postings and squelch negative
    >>| information or to create positive buzz," reports BusinessWeek.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.prwatch.org/node/7451
    >>

    > Will outsourcing never end - now you can even outsource your /trolling/!
    >
    > Wow.

    This was removed:

    MSN Is Spamming The Blogosphere

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mr. Youth LLC is a marketing firm and lists MSN as a customer. Their
    | website is here: http://www.mryouth.com/ Their phone number is
    | (212) 779-8700.
    |
    | I've talked to a couple of other bloggers who said they are receiving
    | similar comments on their blogs. This pisses me off because MSN/Mr.
    | Youth should 1) be more upfront about their true identity, and 2)
    | provide a real e-mail address so that I can request they take my
    | blog off their marketing campaign.
    `----

    http://www.scott-o-rama.com/2006/12/...e-blogosphere/

    It's a marketing company.

    Go to mryouth.com and see that Microsoft is still their client. That would be a
    crime in Europe now, wouldn't it? They trash blogs on behalf of Microsoft (by
    proxy, as usual).

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Anonymity - established 2001, Google Groups
    Tasks: 195 total, 1 running, 194 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  3. Re: [News] The AstroTurfing Plague is Real

    Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

    > Will outsourcing never end - now you can even outsource your
    > /trolling/!
    >
    > Wow.

    This isn't new, in fact a whole industry has sprung up around shill
    posting. Just Google for "paid to post". I bet that most of COLA's
    Trolls actually work for such companies.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
    | longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
    | ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083
    `----

    16:58:28 up 235 days, 13:33, 4 users, load average: 1.05, 1.06, 1.09

  4. Re: [News] The AstroTurfing Plague is Real

    Homer wrote:

    >Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >
    >> Will outsourcing never end - now you can even outsource your
    >> /trolling/!
    >>
    >> Wow.

    >This isn't new, in fact a whole industry has sprung up around shill
    >posting. Just Google for "paid to post". I bet that most of COLA's
    >Trolls actually work for such companies.

    Would M$ hire such incompetents, though? I mean, half of what they
    say can be disproved in 5 minutes with a live CD.

  5. Re: [News] The AstroTurfing Plague is Real

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:58:44 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >
    >> Will outsourcing never end - now you can even outsource your
    >> /trolling/!
    >>
    >> Wow.

    > This isn't new, in fact a whole industry has sprung up around shill
    > posting. Just Google for "paid to post". I bet that most of COLA's
    > Trolls actually work for such companies.

    Well it's pretty obvious Roy Schestowitz does...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: [News] The AstroTurfing Plague is Real

    Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:
    > Homer wrote:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

    >>> Will outsourcing never end - now you can even outsource your
    >>> /trolling/!
    >>>
    >>> Wow.

    >> This isn't new, in fact a whole industry has sprung up around shill
    >> posting. Just Google for "paid to post". I bet that most of COLA's
    >> Trolls actually work for such companies.

    > Would M$ hire such incompetents, though? I mean, half of what they
    > say can be disproved in 5 minutes with a live CD.

    The truth is irrelevant to the Trolls. They're just paid to chant the
    Big LieĀ® mantra over and over, until the mud finally sticks. I think
    this is what Sweaty means by "viral advertising".

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
    | longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
    | ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083
    `----

    20:27:11 up 235 days, 17:02, 4 users, load average: 1.81, 1.31, 1.15

  7. Re: [News] The AstroTurfing Plague is Real

  8. Re: [News] The AstroTurfing Plague is Real

  9. Re: The AstroTurfing Plague is Real

    On Aug 12, 11:58*am, Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >
    > > Will outsourcing never end - now you can even outsource your
    > > /trolling/!

    > > Wow.

    > This isn't new, in fact a whole industry has sprung up around shill
    > posting. Just Google for "paid to post". I bet that most of COLA's
    > Trolls actually work for such companies.

    I'd be surprised if someone gave Roy Schestowitz a paying job, but who
    knows, maybe he really is paid to do his trolling.

  10. Re: The AstroTurfing Plague is Real

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:20:13 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:

    > On Aug 12, 11:58*am, Homer wrote:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> Will outsourcing never end - now you can even outsource your
    >>> /trolling/!

    >>> Wow.

    >> This isn't new, in fact a whole industry has sprung up around shill
    >> posting. Just Google for "paid to post". I bet that most of COLA's
    >> Trolls actually work for such companies.
    >>

    > I'd be surprised if someone gave Roy Schestowitz a paying job, but who
    > knows, maybe he really is paid to do his trolling.

    Schestowitz considers himself a "journalist".
    He is not.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: The AstroTurfing Plague is Real

    On Aug 13, 10:38*am, "Moshe Goldfarb."
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:20:13 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:
    > > On Aug 12, 11:58*am, Homer wrote:
    > >> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

    > >> This isn't new, in fact a whole industry has sprung up around shill
    > >> posting. Just Google for "paid to post". I bet that most of COLA's
    > >> Trolls actually work for such companies.

    > > I'd be surprised if someone gave Roy Schestowitz a paying job, but who
    > > knows, maybe he really is paid to do his trolling.

    > Schestowitz considers himself a "journalist".
    > He is not.

    Journalists tend to write original material. At least here in the
    United States. I'm not sure how it is across the pond. Maybe
    journalists there aggregate a bunch of unrelated articles by other
    people, snip down to a quote, then slap a misleading headline on it. I
    haven't even visited, so who am I to judge if that's journalism in the
    UK.

+ Reply to Thread