Rival - Vista security - GONE - Linux

This is a discussion on Rival - Vista security - GONE - Linux ; * Little Mad Dog peremptorily fired off this memo: > JEDIDIAH wrote: >> On 2008-08-12, Little Mad Dog wrote: >>> Linonut wrote: >>>> * Little Mad Dog peremptorily fired off this memo: >>>> >>>>> Obviously, that's not the case. Obviously, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 320

  1. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    * Little Mad Dog peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >>> Pfft, that's what I think about you and your comments.

    >> Any engineer has to live in the real world. They can't just ingore
    >> parts of it that doesn't suit whatever non-technical agenda they might
    >> have. Real engineers get sued, prosecuted and lose their licensing over
    >> stupidity like that.

    > I am trying to figure out what you are talking about. What are you
    > talking about? I don't respect the person or anything he has to say.

    You should try to be fair to JEDIDIAH, the way you are being so very
    fair to me!

    --
    Basic Definitions of Science:
    If it's green or wiggles, it's biology.

  2. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    Linonut wrote:
    >> All you have amounted to here is a dumb home user that's all you are about.

    > Fair enough, you cute puppy you.

    You know I am right. You're some kind of a freak on the Internetthat's
    on it too much. Something went wrong with you somewhere, may be from birth.

  3. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    * Little Mad Dog peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >> Little Mad Dog wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not if one knows what he or see is doing to protect it.

    >> Most don't, idiot, which makes false and dishonest your claim that
    >> Windows security problems are "chicken little hype".

    > It is as far as I am concerned, because I don't have any problems
    > implementing security in any O/S I may use.
    >
    > If one can't drive, then one gets out from behind the wheel. It's that
    > simple. If you can't do it, then don't use it.

    Oh dear. You simply /must/ inform the majority of Bill and Steve's
    customers that they ought /not/ to have purchased those Windows systems
    without adequate training. I'm sure the additional expense will be well
    worth the enhanced safety and usability of their systems.

    Chop chop, Little Mad Dog!

    --
    The people sensible enough to give good advice are usually sensible
    enough to give none.

  4. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    Linonut wrote:
    >> I am trying to figure out what you are talking about. What are you
    >> talking about? I don't respect the person or anything he has to say.

    > You should try to be fair to JEDIDIAH, the way you are being so very
    > fair to me!

    I respect you as far as I can toss a building somewhere.

  5. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    * Little Mad Dog peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >> Little Mad Dog wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not if one knows what he or see is doing to protect it.

    >> Most don't, idiot, which makes false and dishonest your claim that
    >> Windows security problems are "chicken little hype".

    > And you'll notice something else here in our conversation, I didn't call
    > you any names, which I think is out of your ability to do that, chrisv,
    > and is the status quo behavior in this NG. I didn't even bash Linux.
    > There is something wrong with the mindset in this NG.

    Indeed there is, Little Mad Dog! Indeed there is!

    Do go on! We're all ears!

    We wish to benefit from your years of study.

    --
    Plots are like girdles. Hidden, they hold your interest; revealed, they're
    of no interest except to fetishists. Like girdles, they attempt to contain

  6. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    Linonut wrote:

    >> What is wrong with you? What is your point here? What are you talking
    >> about? You make no sense here in the context of the post I made to
    >> someone I absolutely do not respect.

    > Fair enough, Little Mad Dog.
    >
    > Try this Milk Bone.

    You're sick middle age man with nothing to do. Are you retired?

  7. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Little Mad Dog wrote:
    >
    >>chrisv wrote:
    >>>
    >>> If someone doesn't like my postings, they are free to filter them.
    >>> Unlike you, I don't nym-shift, so it need only be done once.

    >>For what, 99.9% of the time, you're not talking about anything anyway,
    >>other than, harassing people.

    > Filter my posts if you don't like them, dimwit!
    >
    > It really takes chutzpa for some troll, who routinely nym-shifts to
    > avoid recognition and to evade kill-filters, to complain about the
    > quality of my posts!
    >
    > Enough troll feeding. *plonk*

    Oh, chrisv, don't you think our rabid little mutt deserves just *one*
    more biscuit?

    --
    It is much easier to suggest solutions when you know nothing about the problem.

  8. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    On Aug 12, 2:32*pm, chrisv wrote:

    > Filter my posts if you don't like them, dimwit!
    >
    > It really takes chutzpa for some troll, who routinely nym-shifts to
    > avoid recognition and to evade kill-filters, to complain about the
    > quality of my posts!

    Careful now!... he'll start using your name and email address to
    harass you and then he'll tell you what a tough guy he is and how
    miserable he's gonna make your online life

  9. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    * Little Mad Dog peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >>> All you have amounted to here is a dumb home user that's all you are about.

    >> Fair enough, you cute puppy you.

    > You know I am right. You're some kind of a freak on the Internetthat's
    > on it too much. Something went wrong with you somewhere, may be from birth.

    Again, fair enough.

    --
    "Ah, you know the type. They like to blame it all on the Jews or the Blacks,
    'cause if they couldn't, they'd have to wake up to the fact that life's one big,

  10. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    * Little Mad Dog peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >>> What is wrong with you? What is your point here? What are you talking
    >>> about? You make no sense here in the context of the post I made to
    >>> someone I absolutely do not respect.

    >> Fair enough, Little Mad Dog.
    >>
    >> Try this Milk Bone.

    > You're sick middle age man with nothing to do. Are you retired?

    Oh dear, look at how the little dog barks at me.

    So cute! Would you like a chew toy? Would you little puppy?

    --
    Stop searching forever. Happiness is unattainable.

  11. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    Linonut wrote:

    > Fair enough. Here's a biscuit.

    You sick middle aged man. You got a brother that's a middle aged baby
    boomer about your same age, I suspect, that floats in msnews.com called
    Ringmaster.

    I don't know which one of you are sicker, but you should look him up
    your long lost brother. Both of you must be experiencing domestic
    violence in your house holds that brings you both to the Internet, as
    you run to the computer to escape.

  12. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    * Little Mad Dog peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >>> I am trying to figure out what you are talking about. What are you
    >>> talking about? I don't respect the person or anything he has to say.

    >> You should try to be fair to JEDIDIAH, the way you are being so very
    >> fair to me!

    > I respect you as far as I can toss a building somewhere.

    Ooooh, such a naughty little puppy! Such a *cute* naughty little puppy!

    --
    System going down at 5 this afternoon to install scheduler bug.

  13. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    * Paul Montgomery peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Aug 12, 2:32*pm, chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Filter my posts if you don't like them, dimwit!
    >>
    >> It really takes chutzpa for some troll, who routinely nym-shifts to
    >> avoid recognition and to evade kill-filters, to complain about the
    >> quality of my posts!

    > Careful now!... he'll start using your name and email address to
    > harass you and then he'll tell you what a tough guy he is and how
    > miserable he's gonna make your online life

    You /will/ not insult my cute little lap dog! I shall /not/ permit it!

    Doesn't he look so *cute* following along behind me?

    --
    Chicken Soup:
    An ancient miracle drug containing equal parts of aureomycin,

  14. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    * Little Mad Dog peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> Fair enough. Here's a biscuit.

    > You sick middle aged man. You got a brother that's a middle aged baby
    > boomer about your same age, I suspect, that floats in msnews.com called
    > Ringmaster.
    >
    > I don't know which one of you are sicker, but you should look him up
    > your long lost brother. Both of you must be experiencing domestic
    > violence in your house holds that brings you both to the Internet, as
    > you run to the computer to escape.

    Oh my dear no! Little Mad Dog!

    It is /you/ that brings me to the internet! It is so good to finally
    have a puppy of my own to play with!

    --
    We don't know who it was that discovered water, but we're pretty sure
    that it wasn't a fish.

  15. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    Paul Montgomery wrote:
    > On Aug 12, 2:32 pm, chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Filter my posts if you don't like them, dimwit!
    >>
    >> It really takes chutzpa for some troll, who routinely nym-shifts to
    >> avoid recognition and to evade kill-filters, to complain about the
    >> quality of my posts!

    > Careful now!... he'll start using your name and email address to
    > harass you and then he'll tell you what a tough guy he is and how
    > miserable he's gonna make your online life

    I am looking for that Level3 tattle tale rant you went on that didn't
    materialize when you called for it. I even used you here and called you
    out several times General Paul Montgomery, then I used you to call you
    out, and I know you saw it.

    I hoped that would get you to come out, but you ran. As a matter of
    fact, I used you in a couple of NG(s) besides this one just to start
    some **** as you, because you tried to play the NG Nazi.

  16. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Little Mad Dog peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Fair enough, you cute puppy you.

    >> You know I am right. You're some kind of a freak on the Internetthat's
    >> on it too much. Something went wrong with you somewhere, may be from birth.

    > Again, fair enough.

    Bow wow, fair enough

  17. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    * Little Mad Dog peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * Little Mad Dog peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> You know I am right. You're some kind of a freak on the Internetthat's
    >>> on it too much. Something went wrong with you somewhere, may be from birth.

    >> Again, fair enough.

    > Bow wow, fair enough

    Good dog! Look how well he learns!

    --
    Mummy dust to make me old;
    To shroud my clothes, the black of night;

  18. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    Linonut wrote:

    >> You're sick middle age man with nothing to do. Are you retired?

    > Oh dear, look at how the little dog barks at me.
    >
    > So cute! Would you like a chew toy? Would you little puppy?

    From Mad Dog 20/20 to oh dear and how cute? Are you drinking MD 20/20
    now? You got a dog in the house you're about to kiss, and I am not
    talking about your wife?

  19. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Little Mad Dog peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> I respect you as far as I can toss a building somewhere.

    > Ooooh, such a naughty little puppy! Such a *cute* naughty little puppy!

    Stop looking at your Poodle Louise you have in your lap. It's not right.

  20. Re: Rival - Vista security - GONE

    Little Mad Dog wrote:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> Little Mad Dog wrote:

    >>> In your wrong hands, I would suspect so, and nothing new from you
    >>> either.

    >> Sure, Joe Sixpack is born with a Windows gene, so Windows is
    >> automatically the very best choice for Joe Sixpack, and never gives Joe
    >> Sixpack any trouble whatsoever -- and all this without Joe Sixpack
    >> knowing anything about computers, at that.

    > So Joe Sixpacks and Larry 24Cans are the ones you covet that must come
    > over to the Linux platform. It's going to be the same Joe Sixpacks and
    > Larry 24Cans singing and dancing on that platform, when and if the Joe
    > Sixpacks and Larry 24Cans get there. Linux is not going to be immune to
    > the Joe Sixpacks or the Larry 24Cans.

    I have several dozen Joes and Janes Sixpack using Linux for years now, and
    not one of these people, no matter how computer-illiterate they may be,
    have ever run into security problems; and most don't even have usability
    problems to speak of, other than an occasional request along the lines
    of "how do I ...". Security isn't on their mind at all, and that's how it
    should be -- because Linux is designed with security in mind from the very
    first beginning.

    On the other hand, quite a large portion of Windows users I know /have/
    problems with security and usability -- as in well over 90%. And lots of
    these users are quite computer-savvy; they have quite a bit of hands-on
    experience in (re)installing Windows, and try to use their machines in a
    secure manner. But still things go wrong, often because of the "oops"
    factor, such as a child or even themselves clicking the wrong link at the
    wrong time. Or forgetting to pay their friendly antivirus mafia for another
    year of protection. Or simply because hackers have found the 113.953th
    gaping securityt hole in Internet Explorer, against which they have no
    defence at all until next Patch Tuesday -- if they're lucky.

    > There are no gods, supermen or superwomen writing for Linux, none.

    I totally agree. The people writing Linux are simply intelligent men and
    women who just want to create good, secure software, without deadlines or
    compromises prompted by commercial reasons or a hunger for more power --
    and it shows. The Linux kernel has at least an order of magnitude less
    flaws than commercial software of a comparable scale.

    The people writing Windows, on the other hand, are incompetent morons as far
    as writing good code goes. They're driven by commercial goals, and didn't
    give a hoot for security in almost two decades -- it's all about locking
    users into their (hahaha) "Operating System" by encouraging the use of
    gazillions of Windows-only execute mechanisms to "enhance user experience"
    and to "add feechures".
    And indeed they succeeded, with the vast majority of the world using
    Windows -- not because it's so good, but because it's been made so hard to
    migrate to another platform. And now they're stuck with a legacy of almost
    twenty years of very insecure practices indeed, and they can't change it --
    lest they lose a very large portion of their user base.

    And oh, in the ranking of who writes the "cleanest" code, Windows coders are
    way at the bottom of the list. *This* is what makes Windows the insecure
    heap of crap it has been for decades, and still is today.

    > Your point is moot.

    My point is very much to the point, thank you very much.

    >> It's just a sad twist of irony that only those who actually know a bit or
    >> two about computers complain about Windows being insecure, because they
    >> are so wrong; and Joe Sixpack can testify to that, because he knows what
    >> he's talking about -- or actually, he doesn't, which makes it all the
    >> more true.

    > This Joe SixPack has been in IT since 1971 using most of the O/S
    > platforms over the years and still going strong professionally. There is
    > nothing *you* can tell this Joe Sixpack about anything concerning
    > computers -- nothing you can tell this Joe Sixpack period.

    I was under the impression that "Joe Sixpack" was a designation for the
    average computer user, who doesn't actually know much about what he's
    using, and simply regards it as a tool for work to be done -- which is fine
    by me. But you state that there's nothing I can tell you with regard to
    computers, which kind of contradicts this definition. You seem to be
    suffering from a certain level of confusion.

    > Your point is moot. And I don't like negative people. If you can't come
    > positive, then don't show at all.

    OK, on the positive side: people are slowly discovering that there's more
    than just Windows, and are reaping the benefits, as in: "My old XP machine
    totally crapped out once more, and now I have to buy a brand new Vista
    machine, but I'm a bit strapped for cash." At which point I usually offer a
    free trial install of Mandriva on their old XP machines. If they like it,
    they can pay me for my time -- and lo and behold, the vast majority of
    people like it, pay me, and stick to it. I have some users running almost
    ten-year-old machines today, without any problems.

    >> And oh, that half-billion or so Windows zombie computers are just a
    >> figment of the imagination of a handful of Windows haters, and nothing to
    >> worry about. As are reports that the millions of Linux desktops in use
    >> are somehow totally unaffected by any malware at all.

    > You're silly. You have made silly comments here. And the O/S(s) are
    > swiss cheese in the wrong hands. And that's a fact. It doesn't matter
    > what O/S it is either.

    Sure, if I really work at it, I could render my Linux desktop box vulnerable
    to attack, although I'm not sure how to go about it just yet (apart from
    installing Windows in a virtual machine). (Tips, anyone?) But for all the
    rest, Linux machines can be considered immune to malware and viruses.

    It doesn't matter what the reason is -- inherently better security, smaller
    (and thus uninteresting) target, divine intervention -- Linux IS vastly
    more secure than Windows right now. And that's something you can't deny.

    >> Yeah, right.

    > I not interested in your right. Your right means nothing to me.

    Ah, the true Microsoft mentality. "The vict^H^H^H^Hcustomer is never right.
    We are."

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl