[News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4% - Linux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 84

  1. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop MarketShare is 4%

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Netbooks A Linux Stronghold?
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | For years, backers of open-source software have hoped to push Microsoft
    >> | out of its dominant position in desktops and laptops. Windows-powered
    >> | personal computers account for more than 90% of unit sales,. Linux 4%,
    >> | Gartner says.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://ca.biz.yahoo.com/ibd/080807/tech.html?.v=1

    > Bound to be wrong. The mighty bbc says 0.8% so 0.8% it is.

    Sorry (well, not really!) to keep beating this drum, but it could well be that
    BOTH figures are correct.

    The BBC figure was from a date prior to November last year. I don't know when
    they actually did the survey, but at the time it was in their interest to
    quote a lower figure rather than a higher one.
    It measured % User Base, as measured by hits on the BBC web site, and they
    quoted 0.8% of users.

    Now we read:-
    "For years, backers of open-source software have hoped to push Microsoft out
    of its dominant position in desktops and laptops. Windows-powered personal
    computers account for more than 90% of unit sales,. Linux 4%, Gartner says."

    That it what is being SOLD, Market Share, NOW!

    It takes a long time for even a high market share to affect a huge installed
    base.

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop MarketShare is 4%

    bbgruff espoused:
    > Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Netbooks A Linux Stronghold?
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://ca.biz.yahoo.com/ibd/080807/tech.html?.v=1

    >> Bound to be wrong. The mighty bbc says 0.8% so 0.8% it is.

    > Sorry (well, not really!) to keep beating this drum, but it could well be that
    > BOTH figures are correct.
    >
    > The BBC figure was from a date prior to November last year. I don't know when
    > they actually did the survey, but at the time it was in their interest to
    > quote a lower figure rather than a higher one.
    > It measured % User Base, as measured by hits on the BBC web site, and they
    > quoted 0.8% of users.
    >
    > Now we read:-
    > "For years, backers of open-source software have hoped to push Microsoft out
    > of its dominant position in desktops and laptops. Windows-powered personal
    > computers account for more than 90% of unit sales,. Linux 4%, Gartner says."
    >
    > That it what is being SOLD, Market Share, NOW!
    >
    > It takes a long time for even a high market share to affect a huge installed
    > base.

    The desktop is dead. The growth areas are around mobility and servers
    and appliances. MS can pay Gartner to keep throwing up these studies,
    but really, they're not much use to anyone.

  5. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    Mark Kent wrote:

    < snip >

    > The desktop is dead.

    Bull****

  6. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop MarketShare is 4%

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Monday 11 August 2008 11:58 : \____
    >
    >> Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >> < snip >
    >>
    >>> The desktop is dead.

    >> Bull****

    > It's a gradual thing and an overstatement, for sure.

    I don't agree that it's an overstatement. I've just received Dabs'
    latest catalogue, and guess how many Vista logos there were? None. Not
    one. Clearly, nobody is interested.

    How many desktop machines? Well, maybe one. Perhaps.
    How many laptops/mobile devices? 30+
    How many appliances? Several.

    Of particular note is that latest Archos 605? with integrated GPS.

    Times change, requirements change, people change. Nobody is interested
    in accessing things which are locked into one place, which is the
    fundamental idea behind the "desktop" computer.

    > See the A$$ociated Press article (intentionally no link) that reports on
    > decline of desktop in Japan. There was a study.

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| I would suggest that the open source community should stop obsessing
    >| with the battle for the desktop, and start focusing on the battle for
    >| the platform that will replace it. As I have said before, the day
    >| will soon come when the notion of having to go to a particular
    >| machine on a particular room every time you need access to
    >| information or computer power will be as obsolete as the notion
    >| of having to go to the hand pump over the well in the front
    >| yard every time you need water.
    > `----
    >
    > http://trevors-trinkets.blogspot.com...ktop-what.html
    >

    > - --
    > ~~ Best of wishes
    >
    > Roy S. Schestowitz | Billigator: eats your filesystem alive
    > http://Schestowitz.com | Free as in Free Beer | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    > Load average (/proc/loadavg): 0.39 0.72 0.71 4/289 6549
    > http://iuron.com - semantic search engine project initiative

  7. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    "Phil Da Lick!" wrote in
    message news:do2dnSXPXblikz3VnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@posted.plusn et...

    >> | For years, backers of open-source software have hoped to push Microsoft
    >> out | of its dominant position in desktops and laptops. Windows-powered
    >> personal | computers account for more than 90% of unit sales,. Linux 4%,
    >> Gartner says. `----
    >>
    >> http://ca.biz.yahoo.com/ibd/080807/tech.html?.v=1

    > Bound to be wrong. The mighty bbc says 0.8% so 0.8% it is.

    Well there was:

    "Leslie Fiering, a Gartner analyst, says even in places that are poor and
    underdeveloped, Microsoft gets the nod. "In emerging markets, they want what
    everybody else has," Fiering said."

    i.e. "We don't want no steenking Linus!", says Pablo.

    As a counterpoint, there is the annual assessment of the Linux fans:

    "With Linux getting more dependable and user-friendly, its time has come,
    Zemlin says. "The maturity of the technology is definitely something that's
    helping," he said"

    Once again, the day when regular people use Linux is said to be just around
    the corner. But the world looks sort of circular and they never seem to
    round that corner.

  8. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop MarketShare is 4%

    Mark Kent wrote:
    >> It's a gradual thing and an overstatement, for sure.

    > I don't agree that it's an overstatement. I've just received Dabs'
    > latest catalogue, and guess how many Vista logos there were? None. Not
    > one. Clearly, nobody is interested.
    >
    > How many desktop machines? Well, maybe one. Perhaps.
    > How many laptops/mobile devices? 30+
    > How many appliances? Several.
    >
    > Of particular note is that latest Archos 605? with integrated GPS.
    >
    > Times change, requirements change, people change. Nobody is interested
    > in accessing things which are locked into one place, which is the
    > fundamental idea behind the "desktop" computer.

    Trouble with the IT industry is the buzz is always about the growth.
    Desktops are kinda plateauing at the moment and all the movers and
    shakers have got major cloud bonage syndrome. That doesn't make desktops
    irrelevant.

  9. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

  10. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    ____/ bbgruff on Monday 11 August 2008 10:59 : \____

    > Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Netbooks A Linux Stronghold?
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://ca.biz.yahoo.com/ibd/080807/tech.html?.v=1

    >> Bound to be wrong. The mighty bbc says 0.8% so 0.8% it is.

    > Sorry (well, not really!) to keep beating this drum, but it could well be
    > that BOTH figures are correct.
    >
    > The BBC figure was from a date prior to November last year. I don't know
    > when they actually did the survey, but at the time it was in their interest
    > to quote a lower figure rather than a higher one.
    > It measured % User Base, as measured by hits on the BBC web site, and they
    > quoted 0.8% of users.
    >
    > Now we read:-
    > "For years, backers of open-source software have hoped to push Microsoft out
    > of its dominant position in desktops and laptops. Windows-powered personal
    > computers account for more than 90% of unit sales,. Linux 4%, Gartner says."
    >
    > That it what is being SOLD, Market Share, NOW!
    >
    > It takes a long time for even a high market share to affect a huge installed
    > base.

    Don't forget that most PCs whichrun GNU/Linux were not sold with GNU/Linux, so
    the assertion above is not correct. Moreover, with Vista looming over,
    many /existing/ PCs will be converted to KDE 4.x, GNOME 3.x or whatever.
    GNU/Linux spreads because of conversions rather than sales. The sales too are
    nice and another market research from a GNU/Linux-hostile land aligns with the
    above and agrees with the trend:

    Linux preinstalls rocket to three per cent

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is still be shipped with 93 per cent of all PCs sold through
    | distribution in the UK, according to Context.
    |
    | Yet Linux has nevertheless made an impressive gain.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ocket-per-cent

    It would be much higher in China, Germany and South America for example.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"

  11. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop MarketShare is 4%

    Phil Da Lick! espoused:
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >>> It's a gradual thing and an overstatement, for sure.

    >> I don't agree that it's an overstatement. I've just received Dabs'
    >> latest catalogue, and guess how many Vista logos there were? None. Not
    >> one. Clearly, nobody is interested.
    >>
    >> How many desktop machines? Well, maybe one. Perhaps.
    >> How many laptops/mobile devices? 30+
    >> How many appliances? Several.
    >>
    >> Of particular note is that latest Archos 605? with integrated GPS.
    >>
    >> Times change, requirements change, people change. Nobody is interested
    >> in accessing things which are locked into one place, which is the
    >> fundamental idea behind the "desktop" computer.

    > Trouble with the IT industry is the buzz is always about the growth.
    > Desktops are kinda plateauing at the moment and all the movers and
    > shakers have got major cloud bonage syndrome. That doesn't make desktops
    > irrelevant.

    The existing plant will be around for years, I'm sure, and there will
    always be some people who want a desktop machine, just as some people
    still travel by horse and cart even today.

    I've written and presented at massive length on the "3-technology issue"
    - there are many examples:

    shellack 78s->vinyl microgroove->CD->DVD->Internet/mp3/ogg

    At any one time, there's almost always 3 (or sometimes more) technologies
    in place at the same time. There are the "legacy" formats which are
    mostly being migrated onto something more modern, the "current generation"
    and the "new".

    Desktop does not feature in the "new", nor in the "current", it's a
    mainly "legacy" approach, but it always takes time to step between them,
    and there are some who will always hang onto the old stuff.

    It's essential to recognise the economic impact of the "new" trends,
    though - currently, there's a lot of hardware around for the last
    generations of IBM-PC-like machines. However, so few of those are being
    sold new that the manufacturers will stop making the cards, peripherals
    and even chipsets in the end. Thus, a slow but significant decline even
    in the maintainability of older equipment has already begun.

    Have you tried to repair a 5¼" drive recently? It's practically
    impossible to get parts. What about one of those ancient 3" drives as
    used on Amstrad machines? Same again. Even a drive-belt is hard to
    find.

    I have an ancient Leak Stereo 20 valve amplifier, which I've used since
    I was a schoolkid. I rebuilt it about 10 years ago, and even then,
    getting resistors with a high-enough voltage rating was tough, and
    getting capacitors of low-value with a high voltage rating was hard.

    I'm not anti-desktop, I'm just facing the reality.

  12. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop MarketShare is 4%

    Mark Kent wrote:
    > Phil Da Lick! espoused:
    >>> I don't agree that it's an overstatement. I've just received Dabs'
    >>> latest catalogue, and guess how many Vista logos there were? None. Not
    >>> one. Clearly, nobody is interested.
    >>>
    >>> How many desktop machines? Well, maybe one. Perhaps.
    >>> How many laptops/mobile devices? 30+
    >>> How many appliances? Several.
    >>>
    >>> Of particular note is that latest Archos 605? with integrated GPS.
    >>>
    >>> Times change, requirements change, people change. Nobody is interested
    >>> in accessing things which are locked into one place, which is the
    >>> fundamental idea behind the "desktop" computer.

    >> Trouble with the IT industry is the buzz is always about the growth.
    >> Desktops are kinda plateauing at the moment and all the movers and
    >> shakers have got major cloud bonage syndrome. That doesn't make desktops
    >> irrelevant.

    > The existing plant will be around for years, I'm sure, and there will
    > always be some people who want a desktop machine, just as some people
    > still travel by horse and cart even today.
    >
    > I've written and presented at massive length on the "3-technology issue"
    > - there are many examples:
    >
    > shellack 78s->vinyl microgroove->CD->DVD->Internet/mp3/ogg
    >
    > At any one time, there's almost always 3 (or sometimes more) technologies
    > in place at the same time. There are the "legacy" formats which are
    > mostly being migrated onto something more modern, the "current generation"
    > and the "new".
    >
    > Desktop does not feature in the "new", nor in the "current", it's a
    > mainly "legacy" approach, but it always takes time to step between them,
    > and there are some who will always hang onto the old stuff.
    >
    > It's essential to recognise the economic impact of the "new" trends,
    > though - currently, there's a lot of hardware around for the last
    > generations of IBM-PC-like machines. However, so few of those are being
    > sold new that the manufacturers will stop making the cards, peripherals
    > and even chipsets in the end. Thus, a slow but significant decline even
    > in the maintainability of older equipment has already begun.
    >
    > Have you tried to repair a 5¼" drive recently? It's practically
    > impossible to get parts. What about one of those ancient 3" drives as
    > used on Amstrad machines? Same again. Even a drive-belt is hard to
    > find.
    >
    > I have an ancient Leak Stereo 20 valve amplifier, which I've used since
    > I was a schoolkid. I rebuilt it about 10 years ago, and even then,
    > getting resistors with a high-enough voltage rating was tough, and
    > getting capacitors of low-value with a high voltage rating was hard.
    >
    > I'm not anti-desktop, I'm just facing the reality.

    All very interesting but the desktop is going nowhere. Cloud-boners who
    believe indivisuals or companies will (a) allow other 3rd parties to
    host/control their data, and (b) move completely to a pay-as-you-go
    software model (which is the ultimate destination of the cloud model),
    are living in la-la land. Truth is client/server has been around for
    decades and we've all still got desktops.

  13. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    * amicus_curious peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Once again, the day when regular people use Linux is said to be just around
    > the corner. But the world looks sort of circular and they never seem to
    > round that corner.

    I dunno. Gartner says the U.S. "gets it" only to the extent of 1.5%,
    but other parts of the world "get it" to the extent of 4%.

    Indicates to me that the 3rd world is well aware of the cost of doing
    business with Microsoft.

    --
    The only solution is ... a balance of power. We arm our side with exactly
    that much more. A balance of power -- the trickiest, most difficult,

  14. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:30:48 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * amicus_curious peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Once again, the day when regular people use Linux is said to be just around
    >> the corner. But the world looks sort of circular and they never seem to
    >> round that corner.

    > I dunno. Gartner says the U.S. "gets it" only to the extent of 1.5%,
    > but other parts of the world "get it" to the extent of 4%.
    >
    > Indicates to me that the 3rd world is well aware of the cost of doing
    > business with Microsoft.

    I was just drafting a post along these lines.
    I think Gartner might actually be correct this time.
    The US is dragging the figures down while the rest of the earth is raising
    them.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  15. Re: Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is4%

    On Aug 11, 7:22*am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > The same BBC that rewrites history about Microsoft, glorifies an
    > already-convicted Gates, and markets spyware (Vista) at taxpayers' expense?

    It's taxpayer funded alright...either you pay the TV tax or you get a
    nice visit from the TVLA inspector. I'm pretty sure soon non-payment
    of the TV tax will be probably cause to bust down doors and zap
    residents with tasers.

    I'd like to see McCain or Obama or Hillary try to force us Americans
    to pay an annual tax to fund PBS and NPR. It would be declared
    unconstitutional faster than you can say "unconstitutional".

  16. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    Linonut wrote:

    > * amicus_curious peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Once again, the day when regular people use Linux is said to be just around
    >> the corner. But the world looks sort of circular and they never seem to
    >> round that corner.

    > I dunno. Gartner says the U.S. "gets it" only to the extent of 1.5%,
    > but other parts of the world "get it" to the extent of 4%.
    >
    > Indicates to me that the 3rd world is well aware of the cost of doing
    > business with Microsoft.

    That makes some sense.
    Several points perhaps worth thinking about:-

    -Prices. Third-world countries get "special treatment", but even so,
    proprietary S/W prices are *relatively* very high (c.f. average income).
    In other parts of the developed world (outside the U.S.), prices are
    *artificially* high (e.g. look at retail price in the E.U., and compare it
    with U.S. retail)

    - There is a sovereignty issue. Things like WGA have perhaps helped to alert
    those outside the U.S. to the fact that a U.S. company can actually "switch
    off" their software!

    - There is an expertise issue. While everybody outside the U.S. buys
    (imports) U.S. S/W, all major decisions will be taken in the U.S., and
    most/all of expertise will reside there. FOSS solves the problem here - it
    actually *uses* acknowledged U.S. expertise (American developers) while not
    denying ones own the opportunity. The best of all worlds!

    - Figures which we see frequently here (in this group) tend to be figures
    obtained via web visits. The sites will tend to be biased towards the U.S.
    The U.S. population probably *uses* the web more/capita than any other
    nation, and the whole data-gathering exercise probably gives great weight to
    what is happening in the U.S. If it's machines that you want answers for,
    rather than visits to predominantly American sites, you probably need a
    better way of measuring!

    Finally, all this means that FOSS generally, Linux in particular, is perhaps
    gaining more ground than we realise!

  17. Re: Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    * Darth Chaos peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Aug 11, 7:22*am, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The same BBC that rewrites history about Microsoft, glorifies an
    >> already-convicted Gates, and markets spyware (Vista) at taxpayers' expense?

    > It's taxpayer funded alright...either you pay the TV tax or you get a
    > nice visit from the TVLA inspector. I'm pretty sure soon non-payment
    > of the TV tax will be probably cause to bust down doors and zap
    > residents with tasers.
    >
    > I'd like to see McCain or Obama or Hillary try to force us Americans
    > to pay an annual tax to fund PBS and NPR. It would be declared
    > unconstitutional faster than you can say "unconstitutional".

    Here's what's weird. On Direct TV, we have an ETV channel. Fine.

    But there's also a PBS channel, but all I see on it is "Channel not
    purchased."

    Dang.

    --
    My idea of roughing it is when room service is late.

  18. Re: Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:58:01 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Darth Chaos peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Aug 11, 7:22*am, Roy Schestowitz
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The same BBC that rewrites history about Microsoft, glorifies an
    >>> already-convicted Gates, and markets spyware (Vista) at taxpayers' expense?

    >> It's taxpayer funded alright...either you pay the TV tax or you get a
    >> nice visit from the TVLA inspector. I'm pretty sure soon non-payment
    >> of the TV tax will be probably cause to bust down doors and zap
    >> residents with tasers.
    >>
    >> I'd like to see McCain or Obama or Hillary try to force us Americans
    >> to pay an annual tax to fund PBS and NPR. It would be declared
    >> unconstitutional faster than you can say "unconstitutional".

    > Here's what's weird. On Direct TV, we have an ETV channel. Fine.
    >
    > But there's also a PBS channel, but all I see on it is "Channel not
    > purchased."
    >
    > Dang.

    Is it High Def?
    That might be the reason.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    >* amicus_curious peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Once again, the day when regular people use Linux is said to be just
    >> around
    >> the corner. But the world looks sort of circular and they never seem to
    >> round that corner.

    > I dunno. Gartner says the U.S. "gets it" only to the extent of 1.5%,
    > but other parts of the world "get it" to the extent of 4%.
    >
    > Indicates to me that the 3rd world is well aware of the cost of doing
    > business with Microsoft.

    It indicates to me that the entire world is doing business with Microsoft to
    an incredible degree. 90%, 95%, 99% are all incredible numbers for a
    product market share. It hardly matters that one place is a percent or two
    or three different.

  20. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:53:44 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>* amicus_curious peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Once again, the day when regular people use Linux is said to be just
    >>> around
    >>> the corner. But the world looks sort of circular and they never seem to
    >>> round that corner.

    >> I dunno. Gartner says the U.S. "gets it" only to the extent of 1.5%,
    >> but other parts of the world "get it" to the extent of 4%.
    >>
    >> Indicates to me that the 3rd world is well aware of the cost of doing
    >> business with Microsoft.
    >>

    > It indicates to me that the entire world is doing business with Microsoft to
    > an incredible degree. 90%, 95%, 99% are all incredible numbers for a
    > product market share. It hardly matters that one place is a percent or two
    > or three different.

    When you are running Linux and are at the bottom, no matter what stats you
    look at, every single point makes a difference.

    Yes, the amount of business Microsoft does worldwide is staggering compared
    to Linux.