Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 84 of 84

  1. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    On 2008-08-13, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >> Desktops are still quite plentiful. From a pure dollars and cents
    >> point of view they still make a remarkable amount of more sense
    >> then mobile machines.

    > People will *always* want general purpose computers. These require
    > desktops with which to work.

    ....at the very least they require a terminal of some sort.

    Once you've got the hardware for that, you've already got a desktop
    or server. It's just waiting for it's "appliance" software to be
    stripped from it so you can run something more general purpose on
    it.

    --
    NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club! |||
    / | \

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop MarketShare is 4%

    Phil Da Lick! espoused:

    > Yeah lets agree to disagree and wait and see.

    Fair dos!

  3. Re: Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Shareis 4%

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:59:58 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Homer wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I bought my last PC, I didn't buy it with GNU/Linux. I guess it
    >>> makes me not a Linux users, according to these experts.

    >> You mean
    experts
    .

    >> Yes, this is the secondary effect of how forced bundling of Windows

    > There's no such thing, bozo.
    >
    >> inhibits Free Software. Not only are end-users not being offered Linux
    >> in the first place,

    > Left side of piehole: we're not being offered Linux Right side of
    > piehole: Dell is expanding their Linux offerings

    "we're not being offered Linux" actually means that in comparison with the
    number of vendors offering with syetemsno OS pre-installed, or a non-Linux
    based system installed, the number of vendors offering Linux based systems
    pre-installed is miniscule.

    "Dell is expanding their Linux offerings" means Dell is expanding their
    Linux offerings and does not negate the above statement.

    >> but then "experts" like the Partner Group® take these
    >> zero-sale/low-sale figures for Linux and present it as though nobody
    >> actually /wants/ Linux,

    > Most definitely true.

    Most definitely untrue.

    >> whereas the reality is that it's being stifled by Microsoft's MoUs with
    >> OEMs. This in turn leads companies to believe Windows is better because
    >> it's the "market leader", taking the Parter Group's® evaluation at face
    >> value, whilst being ignorant of (or simply not caring about) exactly
    >> /how/ Windows attained this status (i.e. through racketeering).
    >>
    >> The only way to break this vicious cycle, is to break the vicious
    >> company that instigated and perpetuates it - Microsoft.

    > Dream on. All of us here will be dead before Microsoft.

    And unfortunately, that is probably true.

    >> Personally I'll never buy a prebuilt system with Windows preinstalled
    >> ever again, even if that means I have to keep building my own from
    >> components. My biggest problem is that this isn't possible with laptops
    >> (which I greatly prefer to desktops), and although Linux laptops are
    >> available, my choices are still rather limited ... thanks to Microsoft.

    > MS has nothing to do with it. Few people will buy laptops or desktops
    > that require additional effort to install the OS.

    That is true.

    > Plus, you can build your own laptop.
    >
    > http://computershopper.com/feature/b...-laptop-200804
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...book,1026.html
    > http://laptoplogic.com/resources/detail.php?id=22
    > http://chris.pirillo.com/2008/03/11/...ur-own-laptop/
    >
    > Laptop From Scratch is just as much fun as Linux From Scratch, and we
    > know how many of you fair-weather "advocates" have the commitment to do
    > that.

    My next laptop will probably be a Linux based netbook.

    > Best of all for a whiner like you: when your system fails you won't have
    > any proprietary vendors to blame.

    You must be blaming proprietary vendors a lot.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5