[News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4% - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4% - Linux ; In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter Köhlmann wrote on Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:58:57 +0200 : > Mark Kent wrote: > > > >> The desktop is dead. > > Bull**** > The Samsung Instinct points to the future, or at least one ...

  1. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    <48a02981$0$1061$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net>:
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    > < snip >
    >
    >> The desktop is dead.

    > Bull****

    The Samsung Instinct points to the future, or at least
    one possible future, for Microsoft Windows: the OS/GUI
    support part of a phone's software (with some useful Win32-
    or WinFX-compatible applications on top thereof).

    Of course, one hopes for greater reliability than the
    so-called Orange Phones, and Linux will be a player
    in this space, along with a version of MacOSX (whatever's
    running on the iPhone) and the current market leader,
    Symbian, which to its credit is making open-source noises
    as well.

    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/06...-open-source/1

    As for desktops -- beyond my workhabits, which among other
    things includes carrying a company-issued belted beeper
    and lugging around a Gentoo-loaded nx9010 in an old 1980's
    era clamshell briefcase, I know little.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
    void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }

  2. Re: Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:58:01 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> Here's what's weird. On Direct TV, we have an ETV channel. Fine.
    >>
    >> But there's also a PBS channel, but all I see on it is "Channel not
    >> purchased."
    >>
    >> Dang.

    > Is it High Def?
    > That might be the reason.

    Could be. We ordered "regular def". Smaller dishes on the roof, and we
    don't have any high-def equipment anyway.

    It would be nice to have, but we're in no hurry. It is only teevee.

    Plus, half the time when I'm "watching", I have a laptop in front of me
    anyway.

    --
    miracle: an extremely outstanding or unusual event, thing, or accomplishment.
    -- Webster's Dictionary

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    * amicus_curious peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Indicates to me that the 3rd world is well aware of the cost of doing
    >> business with Microsoft.
    >>

    > It indicates to me that the entire world is doing business with Microsoft to
    > an incredible degree.

    Sure, if you add in the "piracy"!

    > 90%, 95%, 99% are all incredible numbers for a product market share.

    True. They're also indicative of a market pathology. How many other
    markets besides the consumer desktop market have such a lock? They
    broke up AT&T and bitch-slapped IBM for that. Why not Microsoft?

    > It hardly matters that one place is a percent or two or three
    > different.

    True. Except for two things:

    1. A small change is a big thing for the Linux "market".

    2. A small decrement is a big worry for Microsoft.

    You might want to write a letter of comfort and reassurance to Steve
    Ballmer!

    --
    Disobedience: The silver lining to the cloud of servitude.
    -- Ambrose Bierce

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    > Yes, the amount of business Microsoft does worldwide is staggering compared
    > to Linux.

    Or any other computer or software vendor.

    Although there are some areas where Linux is looking pretty healthy.

    Personally, I'm happy to have Linux available, and to be able to play
    with it without monetary consideration.

    --
    You will wish you hadn't.

  5. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > The Samsung Instinct points to the future...

    I like it, but I'd like something a little more basic.

    Say, didn't Gates have this guy killed?:

    --
    I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous
    -- David Bradley, inventor of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete

  6. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    > rat wrote:
    >>
    >> It indicates to me that the entire world is doing business with Microsoft to
    >> an incredible degree.

    Indeed. An unhealthy degree.

  7. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    On 2008-08-11, Mark Kent wrote:
    > Phil Da Lick! espoused:
    >>>
    >>> I don't agree that it's an overstatement. I've just received Dabs'
    >>> latest catalogue, and guess how many Vista logos there were? None. Not
    >>> one. Clearly, nobody is interested.
    >>>
    >>> How many desktop machines? Well, maybe one. Perhaps.
    >>> How many laptops/mobile devices? 30+
    >>> How many appliances? Several.
    >>>
    >>> Of particular note is that latest Archos 605? with integrated GPS.
    >>>
    >>> Times change, requirements change, people change. Nobody is interested
    >>> in accessing things which are locked into one place, which is the
    >>> fundamental idea behind the "desktop" computer.

    >> Trouble with the IT industry is the buzz is always about the growth.
    >> Desktops are kinda plateauing at the moment and all the movers and
    >> shakers have got major cloud bonage syndrome. That doesn't make desktops
    >> irrelevant.

    > The existing plant will be around for years, I'm sure, and there will
    > always be some people who want a desktop machine, just as some people
    > still travel by horse and cart even today.

    ....except it's nothing like that.

    If I don't plan on lugging my main machine around, it makes 0.0
    sense for it to be a laptop. There are quieter, cooler and smaller
    desktop machines to be had. There are certainly CHEAPER machines
    to be had.

    Got a $280 laptop for me that can hold 1TB of storage?

    Given the BS at the TSA these days, it makes more sense to have
    a throwaway system as your "portable" anyways. So the notion of
    taking your "desktop replacement laptop" wherever you go is simply
    absurd.

    It might get hung up going through an airport somewhere.

    > I've written and presented at massive length on the "3-technology issue"
    > - there are many examples:
    >
    > shellack 78s->vinyl microgroove->CD->DVD->Internet/mp3/ogg
    >
    > At any one time, there's almost always 3 (or sometimes more) technologies
    > in place at the same time. There are the "legacy" formats which are
    > mostly being migrated onto something more modern, the "current generation"
    > and the "new".
    >
    > Desktop does not feature in the "new", nor in the "current", it's a

    The "desktop" isn't any older than the "laptop".

    They both pretty much appeared at the same time. There have ALWAYS
    been people interested in mobility and willing to make sacrifices
    for it.

    [deletia]

    --

    Metallica is not worth the ruination of someone |||
    who has pirated their music / | \

  8. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    "Linonut" wrote in message
    >* amicus_curious peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> "Linonut" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Indicates to me that the 3rd world is well aware of the cost of doing
    >>> business with Microsoft.
    >>>

    >> It indicates to me that the entire world is doing business with Microsoft
    >> an incredible degree.

    > Sure, if you add in the "piracy"!

    Who's to say that isn't on purpose, too? Software has a value based on the
    beneficial use to the user. In the case of Windows, it is an absolute
    necessity for selling a "Wintel" PC vs an Apple PC or even a Ubuntu PC.
    Anyone who thinks that they can sell one of the latter in opposition to the
    former has the opportunity to try their strategy in the market. However
    they fail time and again to do that. No one is holding a gun to anyone's
    head here, it is just a matter of user expectation and experience, which has
    been cultured for over 20 years to reflect the idea of buying a computer
    with a Microsoft platform included. How are you ever going to change that?

    >> 90%, 95%, 99% are all incredible numbers for a product market share.

    > True. They're also indicative of a market pathology. How many other
    > markets besides the consumer desktop market have such a lock? They
    > broke up AT&T and bitch-slapped IBM for that. Why not Microsoft?

    You say that as if you understood it, but both situations are quite
    controversial in terms of business school analysis. And what has really
    changed for either? Or for Microsoft for that matter?

    >> It hardly matters that one place is a percent or two or three
    >> different.

    > True. Except for two things:
    >
    > 1. A small change is a big thing for the Linux "market".
    >
    > 2. A small decrement is a big worry for Microsoft.

    Market surveys are intended to give a product vendor information regarding a
    more successful marketing strategy. The studies themselves are generally
    more intricate than the simple results numbers that get published or
    referenced regarding some notion that Microsoft is doing great or doing
    poorly. The question that you have to ask is "What would Microsoft do
    differently based on the study?". If they have 90% or 95%, they are not
    likely to do anything differently. They won a long time ago and remain
    wildly successful in a huge and growing market. They are far more
    interested in the market growth rate than in their share. Any future
    increase in their revenues of any size is going to come from that growth
    rather than from an futher share capture. If someone donates a shipload of
    Linux machines, such as the OLPC, to the aborigines, that really doesn't
    affect market growth. The poor have no means to buy anything regardless and
    whether they still prefer Windows for the charity they receive or are
    willing to accept Linux matters not one whit, either now or next year.

    A move in the Linux numbers from some small value to another small value,
    regardless of the percentage, is not a signal to the Linux vendors to do
    anything differently as well. Perhaps it cheers the minds of the sad-sack
    fans of Linux who are backing such a perennial cellar dweller, but that is
    about all that it can do.

    > You might want to write a letter of comfort and reassurance to Steve
    > Ballmer!

    Do yo seriously think that anything you or I say would have much of an
    impact on Ballmer or Gates or anyone else in the senior managment at
    Microsoft? Don't kid yourself.

  9. Re: Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    On 2008-08-11, Darth Chaos claimed:

    > I'd like to see McCain or Obama or Hillary try to force us Americans
    > to pay an annual tax to fund PBS and NPR. It would be declared
    > unconstitutional faster than you can say "unconstitutional".

    We already do. It comes out of the general fund. The last guy that
    tried to end it is no longer House Speaker.

    --
    Q: How many Windows jokes are there?
    A: Millions. They're called "users".

  10. Re: Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    On 2008-08-11, Linonut claimed:

    > Here's what's weird. On Direct TV, we have an ETV channel. Fine.
    >
    > But there's also a PBS channel, but all I see on it is "Channel not
    > purchased."
    >
    > Dang.

    Is it served as a local channel? Do you pay for local channels?

    --
    Welcome to Hell! Here's your copy of Windows.

  11. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Mon, 11 Aug 2008 16:50:59 -0400
    :
    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> The Samsung Instinct points to the future...

    > I like it, but I'd like something a little more basic.

    I'll admit the Neo FreeRunner shows promise, though it's
    not quite ready for general consumption yet.

    > Say, didn't Gates have this guy killed?:

    The inventer of Ctrl-Alt-Del? Heh. Can't say I've kept track
    of the conspiracies floating about Mr. Gates lately; too many of
    them floating around our current President, a former President,
    and a dead President....

    ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.

  12. Re: Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-08-11, Linonut claimed:
    >
    >> Here's what's weird. On Direct TV, we have an ETV channel. Fine.
    >>
    >> But there's also a PBS channel, but all I see on it is "Channel not
    >> purchased."
    >>
    >> Dang.

    > Is it served as a local channel? Do you pay for local channels?

    ETV is local.

    I'm we pay for it anyway, though. Just like you still end up paying
    with those Buy 1, Get 1 Free deals.

    --
    Expansion means complexity; and complexity decay.

  13. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    * amicus_curious peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Who's to say that isn't on purpose, too? Software has a value based on the
    > beneficial use to the user. In the case of Windows, it is an absolute
    > necessity for selling a "Wintel" PC vs an Apple PC or even a Ubuntu PC.
    > Anyone who thinks that they can sell one of the latter in opposition to the
    > former has the opportunity to try their strategy in the market. However
    > they fail time and again to do that.

    I'll just let that little fibber set a spell.

    > Do yo seriously think that anything you or I say would have much of an
    > impact on Ballmer or Gates or anyone else in the senior managment at
    > Microsoft? Don't kid yourself.

    STM (Serious Troll Mode) noted.

    --
    You can't fall off the floor.

  14. Re: Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is4%

    On Aug 11, 7:58*am, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >
    > < snip >
    >
    > > The desktop is dead. *

    > Bull****

    The only smart thing you've ever said Petey.

  15. Re: Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:17:08 -0700 (PDT), cc wrote:

    > On Aug 11, 7:58*am, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >> < snip >
    >>
    >>> The desktop is dead. *

    >> Bull****
    >>

    > The only smart thing you've ever said Petey.

    Almost...
    He called Mark Kent an idiot, which is true.
    No more ignorant poster graces COLA than Mark Kent.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  16. Re: Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is4%

    On Aug 11, 9:53*am, Mark Kent wrote:
    > Phil Da Lick! espoused:

    > >> I don't agree that it's an overstatement. *I've just received Dabs'
    > >> latest catalogue, and guess how many Vista logos there were? *None. *Not
    > >> one. *Clearly, nobody is interested.

    > >> How many desktop machines? *Well, maybe one. *Perhaps.
    > >> How many laptops/mobile devices? *30+
    > >> How many appliances? *Several. *

    > >> Of particular note is that latest Archos 605? with integrated GPS.

    > >> Times change, requirements change, people change. *Nobody is interested
    > >> in accessing things which are locked into one place, which is the
    > >> fundamental idea behind the "desktop" computer.

    > > Trouble with the IT industry is the buzz is always about the growth.
    > > Desktops are kinda plateauing at the moment and all the movers and
    > > shakers have got major cloud bonage syndrome. That doesn't make desktops
    > > irrelevant.

    > The existing plant will be around for years, I'm sure, and there will
    > always be some people who want a desktop machine, just as some people
    > still travel by horse and cart even today.

    If it will be around for years, then wouldn't calling it dead be an
    overstatement? How is a laptop that much different than a desktop
    anyway? Most people use it as a desktop. It runs the exact same
    software as a desktop. It uses the exact same business model as a
    desktop. You point to laptops as the future, but as far as I can tell,
    there is no significant difference between a laptop and a desktop as
    far as technology goes. Yes, a laptop is portable, but so what? The
    difference between laptops and desktops is not analogous to the
    difference between mp3 players and cd players. The difference between
    laptops and desktops is analogous to the difference between and iPod
    and an mp3 player by Motorola.

  17. Re: Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    On 2008-08-11, Linonut claimed:
    > * Sinister Midget peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On 2008-08-11, Linonut claimed:
    >>
    >>> Here's what's weird. On Direct TV, we have an ETV channel. Fine.
    >>>
    >>> But there's also a PBS channel, but all I see on it is "Channel not
    >>> purchased."
    >>>
    >>> Dang.

    >> Is it served as a local channel? Do you pay for local channels?

    > ETV is local.

    I'm not familiar with ETV. Is it some sort of local access channel?

    I believe cable and satellite are required to carry some sort of local
    access channel for "publi information", but aren't required to carry
    anything that has any commercial advertising. PSB advertises those who
    help fund programming, although they call it something else.

    As for other local channels, they have to reach some sort of agreement
    with them, which is why some/many/all tack on extra charges for those.
    That group includes PBS, even though we're already paying for it out of
    the general fund, because of the advertising provision.

    > I'm we pay for it anyway, though. Just like you still end up paying
    > with those Buy 1, Get 1 Free deals.

    Anything "free" from commercial companies or the government is only
    free when looked at using the definitions and circumstances they
    determine apply to their singular claim. Viewed in any other way and
    "free" is often higher priced than paying for it directly.

    --
    Q: How many Windows jokes are there?
    A: None. They're all true.

  18. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop MarketShare is 4%

    Phil Da Lick! espoused:
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >> Phil Da Lick! espoused:

    >>> Trouble with the IT industry is the buzz is always about the growth.
    >>> Desktops are kinda plateauing at the moment and all the movers and
    >>> shakers have got major cloud bonage syndrome. That doesn't make desktops
    >>> irrelevant.

    >> The existing plant will be around for years, I'm sure, and there will
    >> always be some people who want a desktop machine, just as some people
    >> still travel by horse and cart even today.
    >>
    >> I've written and presented at massive length on the "3-technology issue"
    >> - there are many examples:
    >>
    >> shellack 78s->vinyl microgroove->CD->DVD->Internet/mp3/ogg
    >>
    >> At any one time, there's almost always 3 (or sometimes more) technologies
    >> in place at the same time. There are the "legacy" formats which are
    >> mostly being migrated onto something more modern, the "current generation"
    >> and the "new".
    >>
    >> Desktop does not feature in the "new", nor in the "current", it's a
    >> mainly "legacy" approach, but it always takes time to step between them,
    >> and there are some who will always hang onto the old stuff.
    >>
    >> It's essential to recognise the economic impact of the "new" trends,
    >> though - currently, there's a lot of hardware around for the last
    >> generations of IBM-PC-like machines. However, so few of those are being
    >> sold new that the manufacturers will stop making the cards, peripherals
    >> and even chipsets in the end. Thus, a slow but significant decline even
    >> in the maintainability of older equipment has already begun.
    >>
    >> Have you tried to repair a 5¼" drive recently? It's practically
    >> impossible to get parts. What about one of those ancient 3" drives as
    >> used on Amstrad machines? Same again. Even a drive-belt is hard to
    >> find.
    >>
    >> I have an ancient Leak Stereo 20 valve amplifier, which I've used since
    >> I was a schoolkid. I rebuilt it about 10 years ago, and even then,
    >> getting resistors with a high-enough voltage rating was tough, and
    >> getting capacitors of low-value with a high voltage rating was hard.
    >>
    >> I'm not anti-desktop, I'm just facing the reality.

    > All very interesting but the desktop is going nowhere. Cloud-boners who
    > believe indivisuals or companies will (a) allow other 3rd parties to
    > host/control their data,

    How many people do you know who use google mail? Hosted Web services?
    I think you're failing to face reality here.

    > and (b) move completely to a pay-as-you-go
    > software model (which is the ultimate destination of the cloud model),
    > are living in la-la land.

    The Daily Telegraph migrated to Google Office just a couple of weeks
    ago. Sorry, but you're living in the past, this is already happening.
    Payment is a different issue, of course, but that's subject to the
    normal rules of trading, ie., you need to set the price right.

    > Truth is client/server has been around for
    > decades and we've all still got desktops.

    Few of my colleagues have desktops, in fact, I can't recall the last
    time anyone was issued with anything other than a laptop or blackberry
    or other mobile device. Desktops died out long ago... all the
    big-selling stuff is mobility, appliances. Phones, laptops,
    ultra-mobile web-tablets, GPS devices, etc. So, I, me personally, am
    the only person I know who uses a desktop on a regular basis.

    Actually, thinking very carefully about this, of all the scores of
    people I work with on a regular basis, I can only think of 1 who has a
    desktop machine, and he also has a laptop too.

    Have you seen the latest Archos player? It includes, guess what? A
    GPS! If I take a look around my house and see what's what in devices,
    appliances and so on, I get the following list:

    Kids/gaming:
    ------------
    2 x debian gaming desktop
    1 x dual PPC powermac (OSX + kubuntu no1 son)
    1 x mac-mini (OSX + kubuntu no1 son)

    My desktop
    ----------
    1 x ubuntu desktop (my office machine)

    Mobility devices, laptops, tablets
    -----------------------------------
    2 x toshiba Windows laptop (work me & Mrs Mark)
    1 x HP laptop (xubuntu - no2 son)
    2 x GP2X-F200 (kids)
    2 x GP2X (kids)
    2 x Nokia N770 (me)
    1 x Nokia 800 (me)
    1 x Archos 405 (Mrs Mark)
    1 x Motorola A780 phone (me)

    Appliances & servers
    --------------------
    1 x PS3 running Ubuntu (no2 son)
    1 x debian file/yp server/web host server etc.
    1 x bubba excito file/media server
    2 x white-russian linux wrt54gl routers
    1 x mythtv/ubuntu appliance (all)

    Of those, the desktops are all old, around 3yrs+, except my
    personal one which is about 1 year old. Obviously, there's a load of
    old kit outside in storage which will probably end up at the skip in the
    end, but maybe not. Also, I exclude older stuff like the Psions,
    sinclair machines and so on, as this stuff is not regularly used.

  19. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop MarketShare is 4%

    JEDIDIAH espoused:
    > On 2008-08-11, Mark Kent wrote:
    >> Phil Da Lick! espoused:

    >>> Trouble with the IT industry is the buzz is always about the growth.
    >>> Desktops are kinda plateauing at the moment and all the movers and
    >>> shakers have got major cloud bonage syndrome. That doesn't make desktops
    >>> irrelevant.

    >> The existing plant will be around for years, I'm sure, and there will
    >> always be some people who want a desktop machine, just as some people
    >> still travel by horse and cart even today.

    > ...except it's nothing like that.
    >
    > If I don't plan on lugging my main machine around, it makes 0.0
    > sense for it to be a laptop. There are quieter, cooler and smaller
    > desktop machines to be had. There are certainly CHEAPER machines
    > to be had.
    >
    > Got a $280 laptop for me that can hold 1TB of storage?
    >
    > Given the BS at the TSA these days, it makes more sense to have
    > a throwaway system as your "portable" anyways. So the notion of
    > taking your "desktop replacement laptop" wherever you go is simply
    > absurd.
    >
    > It might get hung up going through an airport somewhere.

    You miss the point about mobility here. The "mobility" approach is that
    your data is hosted, and you can access it from anything, anywhere. You
    don't need devices with vast storage, therefore.

    >> I've written and presented at massive length on the "3-technology issue"
    >> - there are many examples:
    >>
    >> shellack 78s->vinyl microgroove->CD->DVD->Internet/mp3/ogg
    >>
    >> At any one time, there's almost always 3 (or sometimes more) technologies
    >> in place at the same time. There are the "legacy" formats which are
    >> mostly being migrated onto something more modern, the "current generation"
    >> and the "new".
    >>
    >> Desktop does not feature in the "new", nor in the "current", it's a

    > The "desktop" isn't any older than the "laptop".
    >
    > They both pretty much appeared at the same time. There have ALWAYS
    > been people interested in mobility and willing to make sacrifices
    > for it.
    >
    > [deletia]

    It's not about "desktop vs laptop", it's about mobility, moving around,
    accessing things in different ways, not being tied to a particular
    location, versus always having to come back to a particular machine in
    order to get something.

    One thing I have found is that those of us who travel regularly, often
    internationally, have a much better grasp of these issues than those
    people who are mostly desk-bound.

  20. Re: [News] Microsoft's Partner Group Says GNU/Linux' Desktop Market Share is 4%

    Mark Kent wrote:

    < snip >

    > You miss the point about mobility here. The "mobility" approach is that
    > your data is hosted, and you can access it from anything, anywhere. You
    > don't need devices with vast storage, therefore.

    Certainly. And many people are even dumb enough to trust "hosted data"

    --
    Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats
    you with experience...