[NEWS] Is Linux really the Golden Security Goose Well, one hasto wonder. - Linux

This is a discussion on [NEWS] Is Linux really the Golden Security Goose Well, one hasto wonder. - Linux ; http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/706950 From: Linus Torvalds linux-foundation.org> Subject: Re: [stable] Linux 2.6.25.10 Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel Date: 2008-07-15 16:13:03 GMT (3 weeks, 4 days, 6 hours and 17 minutes ago) On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote: > > So as far as ...

  1. [NEWS] Is Linux really the Golden Security Goose Well, one hasto wonder.

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/706950

    From: Linus Torvalds linux-foundation.org>
    Subject: Re: [stable] Linux 2.6.25.10
    Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
    Date: 2008-07-15 16:13:03 GMT (3 weeks, 4 days, 6 hours and 17 minutes ago)

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > So as far as I'm concerned, "disclosing" is the fixing of the bug. It's
    > the "look at the source" approach.

    Btw, and you may not like this, since you are so focused on security,
    one reason I refuse to bother with the whole security circus is that I
    think it glorifies - and thus encourages - the wrong behavior.

    It makes "heroes" out of security people, as if the people who don't
    just fix normal bugs aren't as important.

    In fact, all the boring normal bugs are _way_ more important, just
    because there's a lot more of them. I don't think some spectacular
    security hole should be glorified or cared about as being any more
    "special" than a random spectacular crash due to bad locking.

    Security people are often the black-and-white kind of people that I
    can't stand. I think the OpenBSD crowd is a bunch of masturbating
    monkeys, in that they make such a big deal about concentrating on
    security to the point where they pretty much admit that nothing else
    matters to them.

    To me, security is important. But it's no less important than everything
    *else* that is also important!

    Linus

    http://www.fortify.com/l/oss/oss_report.html

    Download the Open Source Security Study Today. Fortify's Open Source
    Security Study reveals that the most widely-used open source software
    packages for the enterprise are exposing users to significant and
    unnecessary business risk. Download this ground-breaking study and learn
    how:

    Open Source Software (OSS) development communities have yet to adopt a
    secure development process and often leave dangerous vulnerabilities
    unaddressed Nearly all OSS communities fail to provide users access to
    security expertise to help remediate

  2. Re: [NEWS] Is Linux really the Golden Security Goose Well, onehas to wonder.

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    Only you Roy would make a bonehead comment. Linux is no bed of roses, no
    matter how much you try to change the sheets, and neither is OpenBSD.
    You want to know why Roy? That's because fillable human beings wrote it
    Roy, just like you Roy that put you pants on one leg at a time like all
    human beings. When we as human beings become not fallible, then anything
    we do or create will not be fallible. And that's not happening in your
    life time Roy.

    It's junk Roy written by fallible human beings here on Earth and there
    are no supermen or superwomen here on Earth Roy, although I think that
    you think you are superman Roy, you're not Roy. That crap is messed up
    and stinks to high hell and back and is swiss cheese, like everything
    else.

  3. Re: [NEWS] Is Linux really the Golden Security Goose Well, one has to wonder.

    On 2008-08-10, Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    > Only you Roy would make a bonehead comment. Linux is no bed of roses, no
    > matter how much you try to change the sheets, and neither is OpenBSD.
    > You want to know why Roy? That's because fillable human beings wrote it

    Fallable.

    Now, the problem is whether or not you hand the naieve user a loaded
    shotgun with a hair trigger and no safety and then proceed to let them
    aim it at their own foot.

    You don't necessarily have to do that.

    You don't hecessarily have to do that to make things "friendly".

    Apple is a GREAT example of that.

    Claiming that human frailty means that all engineered artifacts
    are equal and that there is therefore no hope and no point in
    striving for better is really quite assinine.

    It's quite easy to learn from past mistakes and experience gained
    over 50 or so years of computer science practice.

    > Roy, just like you Roy that put you pants on one leg at a time like all
    > human beings. When we as human beings become not fallible, then anything
    > we do or create will not be fallible. And that's not happening in your
    > life time Roy.
    >
    > It's junk Roy written by fallible human beings here on Earth and there
    > are no supermen or superwomen here on Earth Roy, although I think that
    > you think you are superman Roy, you're not Roy. That crap is messed up
    > and stinks to high hell and back and is swiss cheese, like everything
    > else.

    Two words: Parthenon
    Coliseum

    --

    Metallica is not worth the ruination of someone |||
    who has pirated their music / | \

  4. Re: [NEWS] Is Linux really the Golden Security Goose Well, one has to wonder.

    On 2008-08-11, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-08-10, Richard Heathfield wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >> Only you Roy would make a bonehead comment. Linux is no bed of roses, no
    >> matter how much you try to change the sheets, and neither is OpenBSD.
    >> You want to know why Roy? That's because fillable human beings wrote it

    > Fallable.

    Har har har...

    s/Fallable/Fallible/

    > Claiming that human frailty means that all engineered artifacts
    > are equal and that there is therefore no hope and no point in
    > striving for better is really quite assinine.

    It's also easy to engineer for human fallibility...

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power