[News] Free Software Opens Doors to Careers - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Free Software Opens Doors to Careers - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz writes: > Open source technology is hungry for new college grads > > ,----[ Quote ] > | Many college graduates are finding it difficult to enter the information > | technology world with little or no work ...

  1. Re: [News] Free Software Opens Doors to Careers

    Roy Schestowitz writes:

    > Open source technology is hungry for new college grads
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Many college graduates are finding it difficult to enter the information
    > | technology world with little or no work experience. There is no such thing as
    > | an entry-level position anymore, and more and more graduates are finding
    > | themselves in a catch-22 situation because of this.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linux.com/feature/143415

    Maybe they can lounge around in the Ivory tower of a University at tax
    payers expense like you do Roy?

  2. [News] Free Software Opens Doors to Careers

  3. Re: [News] Free Software Opens Doors to Careers

    * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >
    >> Open source technology is hungry for new college grads
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Many college graduates are finding it difficult to enter the information
    >> | technology world with little or no work experience. There is no such thing as
    >> | an entry-level position anymore, and more and more graduates are finding
    >> | themselves in a catch-22 situation because of this.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linux.com/feature/143415

    > Maybe they can lounge around in the Ivory tower of a University at tax
    > payers expense like you do Roy?

    That's a new twist on a Ph.D. program.

    Yeah, a lot of "lounging around".

    I remember well having to spend another six months "lounging around"
    because my Ph.D. committee had some quibbles with my thesis. Boy, was I
    happy to "lounge around" some more.

    --
    C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre!
    [It is magnificent, but it is not war]

  4. Re: [News] Free Software Opens Doors to Careers

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 00:19:13 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >
    >> Open source technology is hungry for new college grads
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Many college graduates are finding it difficult to enter the information
    >>| technology world with little or no work experience. There is no such thing as
    >>| an entry-level position anymore, and more and more graduates are finding
    >>| themselves in a catch-22 situation because of this.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linux.com/feature/143415
    >>

    > Maybe they can lounge around in the Ivory tower of a University at tax
    > payers expense like you do Roy?

    Roy Schestowitz.... The Van Wilder of University of Manchester GB.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: [News] Free Software Opens Doors to Careers

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 20:39:39 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >>
    >>> Open source technology is hungry for new college grads
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linux.com/feature/143415

    >> Maybe they can lounge around in the Ivory tower of a University at tax
    >> payers expense like you do Roy?

    > That's a new twist on a Ph.D. program.
    >
    > Yeah, a lot of "lounging around".
    >
    > I remember well having to spend another six months "lounging around"
    > because my Ph.D. committee had some quibbles with my thesis. Boy, was I
    > happy to "lounge around" some more.

    Looks like Roy Schestowitz is enrolled in this program at University of
    Manchester GB:

    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...3756826e6686f8

    Degree In Linux Trolling Offered At The University of Manchester.
    Dear University of Manchester Admissions,

    I am currently a student taking up space at Whats-a-Matta-U
    University located in Nervous Sheep Scotland.

    I am considering continuing my studies by entering a doctoral program
    at Manchester University leading to a PHD degree in Internet Based
    Linux Trolling.

    I understand that you have an intensive program at Manchester which is
    targeted directly at my field of choice.

    If I can be Frank for a moment, I'll reveal that I am interested in a
    program which puts as little demand upon my free time as possible.

    I understand you have a student registered in the Internet Based Linux
    Trolling program who goes by them name of Roy Schestowitz.

    He is indeed my mentor and I wish to duplicate his class and
    requirement schedule because it must be one heck of an easy program to
    skate through considering he has the time to troll the Internet 7 days
    a week, twenty four hours a day posting anti Microsoft messages in
    order to shill Linux.

    I also understand that you have paid internship programs where I can
    actually be paid by Linux organizations to troll the Internet.

    I'd like to be considered for the same program that Roy Schestowitz is
    enrolled in because it appears to be a whopper!

    In conclusion, please consider my application and send my anonymous
    regards to your eternal star student Roy Schestowitz at The University
    of Manchester.

    Deep Regards,

    Alan Yunick

    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: [News] Free Software Opens Doors to Careers

  7. Re: [News] Free Software Opens Doors to Careers

    >* Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Roy Schestowitz writes:

    >>> Open source technology is hungry for new college grads

    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> information
    >>> thing as
    >>> finding
    >>> `----

    >>> http://www.linux.com/feature/143415

    >> Maybe they can lounge around in the Ivory tower of a University at tax
    >> payers expense like you do Roy?

    >That's a new twist on a Ph.D. program.
    >Yeah, a lot of "lounging around".

    Seems to me that if someone is graduating late (1-2 years later than planned
    and announced) and the same someone has enough time to make thousands of
    posts each month to usenet, Digg, slash-dot, groklaw, own web site and who
    knows where else. Then this person clearly has more than enough time to
    "lounge around" instead of focusing on their studies.

    >I remember well having to spend another six months "lounging around"
    >because my Ph.D. committee had some quibbles with my thesis. Boy, was I
    >happy to "lounge around" some more.

    So while you were in grad school did you have enough time to make multiple
    thousands of posts each month to every corner of the web? Did any of your
    classmates have this sort of free time available? I'm guessing *no* because
    you were too deep into your studies.

    >--
    >C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre!
    > [It is magnificent, but it is not war]
    > -- Pierre Bosquet, witnessing the charge of the Light
    > Brigade

  8. Re: [News] Free Software Opens Doors to Careers

    Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

    > One has to consider that "Quark" doesn't have a degree.

    Given the constant stream of idiocy he posts to COLA, I find it hard to
    believe he even finished high/secondary school, never mind undertook a
    degree course.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | 'Also, no one calls it PCI-X even though that's the "official "
    | shortening of the much more commonly used "PCI Express".'
    | - Hardon Quirk, COLA's resident "genius".
    `----

    21:12:49 up 236 days, 17:48, 4 users, load average: 1.02, 1.05, 1.08

+ Reply to Thread