[News] GNU/Linux Boots Extremely Fast - Linux

  1. [News] GNU/Linux Boots Extremely Fast

    My Bootchart Record: 12 Seconds to Boot, 7 Seconds to X

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I may have to write how I did this at some point. I use Archlinux x86_64,
    | with a custom kernel from Zen. It's got most of the stuff I need built in,
    | and all other crap is thrown out. I further have added concurrency in rc.conf
    | using @ before all but a couple of my daemons, and am using ReiserFS, with
    | noatime notail nodiratime. I have further speed things along by editing
    | rc.sysinit, and removed hundreds of lines of unneeded crap as well. One trick
    | I found was that it is actually faster to mount an NTFS partition I have via
    | rc.local, rather than fstab. That said, I can't think of anything else to
    | make this faster!
    `----

    http://www.mattparnell.com/projects/...onds-to-x.html
    http://tinyurl.com/65eexv

    Related:

    Startup times

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | PCLinuxOS 2007 (on my home laptop, a middle-of-the-road machine): 40 seconds
    | Mandriva 2008: 40 seconds
    | Xubuntu 7.10: 45 seconds
    | openSUSE 10.3 (clean install, OSS/KDE): about 45 seconds
    | Fedora 8: about 50 seconds (a huge improvement over the last few versions :-)
    | Windows Vista: 3 minutes 45 seconds
    | ...What?
    `----

    http://distrogue.blogspot.com/2007/1...tup-times.html

    Ubuntu vs. That Other OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Both machines have the same exact specs, both have been used for the same
    | time (to be fair I have tweaked the OS on the left quite a bit to optimize
    | it). Ubuntu is already idle by the time the video ends; while the other PC
    | takes 30 seconds more than what I’ve uploaded to idle the hard drive. *
    `----

    http://blog.estebanglas.com.ar/2007/...that-other-os/

    Quick booting SBC runs Debian Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Technologic Systems has announced a single-board computer (SBC) claimed to
    | boot Linux 2.6 in under two seconds. *
    `----

    Mach Boot: The live CD that supposedly boots in 10 seconds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mach Boot won't replace Knoppix, and it won't replace Puppy, DSL or NimbleX
    | either. But it's a tool all its own, one that could be very useful with a
    | little more development time. *
    `----

    http://www.insidesocal.com/click/200...osedly_bo.html

    Tiny WiFi-enabled Linux box boots in 1.1 seconds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Technologic continues to reduce the boot time, price, and size of
    | its embedded boards and systems targeting remote sensing and other
    | power-critical applications. Its new $100 ARM9-based TS-7400 board can
    | boot Linux in 1.1 seconds, and is available as part of a tiny
    | WiFi-enabled system.
    `----

    Flexible ARM9 SBC boots Linux in 1.69 seconds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Technologic Systems is offering a freely downloadable, Debian-based Linux
    | OS image said to boot from an SD card in less than two seconds, on the
    | company's ARM9-based SBC (single-board computer).
    `----

    Phoenix HyperSpace: Quick-Boot Your Laptop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Phoenix Technologies' new HyperSpace is an instant-on environment for
    | laptops, letting users launch a browser or other apps with booting into the
    | OS. *
    |
    | Today, Phoenix Technologies introduced a firmware product called HyperSpace,
    | which allows PCs to run a number of applications separate from the operating
    | system. What that means is that if you use a PC equipped with HyperSpace, you
    | will be able to quick-boot your notebook into a secure Linux environment,
    | where you can use Web browsers like FireFox and pre-loaded Web-aware apps
    | like Google Earth, Picasa, and the like. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Also, since HyperSpace is a Linux-based platform, Windows viruses won't
    | affect it.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Boots Extremely Fast

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Related:
    >
    > Startup times
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> PCLinuxOS 2007 (on my home laptop, a middle-of-the-road machine): 40
    >> seconds Mandriva 2008: 40 seconds
    >> Xubuntu 7.10: 45 seconds
    >> openSUSE 10.3 (clean install, OSS/KDE): about 45 seconds
    >> Fedora 8: about 50 seconds (a huge improvement over the last few
    >> versions :-) Windows Vista: 3 minutes 45 seconds
    >> ...What?

    > `----
    >
    > http://distrogue.blogspot.com/2007/1...tup-times.html

    "It takes my machine about 10 minutes to completely boot up and then log in
    on Suse 10.0."

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ycloud&lnk=ol&

    "I've just installed Mandrak 8.2 yesterday, and it seems to take forever to
    start up and shut down."
    http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-1...-is-linux-slow

    "at boot up both machines hang at "STARTING MTA" about 60 to 90 seconds
    before completing boot up"
    http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.p...381ab75661712f

    Ubuntu Ultimate 1.4: "I let it run for over 10 minutes just to make it to
    the startup screen where you enter user and pass."
    http://www.ubuntux.org/ubuntu-ultima...-after-install

    Here's one that combines the slowness of Linux with the 'it's a new day -
    let's see what broke?' flakiness of the crapware:

    "About a week or so ago, my laptop running Hardy, started having an
    unexplainable 30 second or so delay during boot."
    Slow boot of ubuntu Hardy -- X stuck waiting for something

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Boots Extremely Fast

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "It takes my machine about 10 minutes to completely boot up and then log in
    > on Suse 10.0."

    Haven't read your link, but you know what I've found really increases
    Linux boot times?

    Having a DHCP client, but the network cable isn't plugged in.

  4. Re: GNU/Linux Boots Extremely Fast

    On Aug 10, 12:56*pm, Linonut wrote:
    > * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > > "It takes my machine about 10 minutes to completely boot up and then log in
    > > on Suse 10.0."

    > Haven't read your link, but you know what I've found really increases
    > Linux boot times?
    >
    > Having a DHCP client, but the network cable isn't plugged in.

    I have ubuntu 8.04 and it boots in less then 40 seconds, including
    Pidgin.
    Vista takes over 120 seconds, including loading yahoo messenger.

    Removing the network cable increased boot time by less then 15 seconds
    on both.

    Ubuntu has taken up to 10 minutes when the KDE 4 dependencies were
    missing,
    to boot into Gnome.

    If a new user has a corrupt ISO download or burn, that causes it too.
    Has happened to me.

  5. Re: GNU/Linux Boots Extremely Fast

    * Psyc Geek (TAB) peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Aug 10, 12:56*pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >> > "It takes my machine about 10 minutes to completely boot up and then log in
    >> > on Suse 10.0."

    >> Haven't read your link, but you know what I've found really increases
    >> Linux boot times?
    >>
    >> Having a DHCP client, but the network cable isn't plugged in.

    > Removing the network cable increased boot time by less then 15 seconds
    > on both.

    Must be a shorter time-out than I've experienced before.

    > If a new user has a corrupt ISO download or burn, that causes it too.
    > Has happened to me.

    You never know what can happen with a bad burn.

    It might boot Windows!

    --
    The difference between a career and a job is about 20 hours a week.

+ Reply to Thread